• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Zero seems like it's getting the HD treatment

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I picked it up at launch for GC. I took it to a person's house back in the day and I remember the worst part about it was character swapping. LOL! I'd get an HD version. I can almost guarantee it has gotten better over time. I wish they'd redo CV's VO. That would make it even better. I always disliked Steve's VO.

If anything they should remake RE2. I feel like it would have a much larger benefit to the series, but in reality a better game within RE7 would do it.

I picked it up at launch for GC. I took it to a person's house back in the day and I remember the worst part about it was character swapping. LOL! I'd get an HD version. I can almost guarantee it has gotten better over time. I wish they'd redo CV's VO. That would make it even better. I always disliked Steve's VO.

If anything they should remake RE2. I feel like it would have a much larger benefit to the series, but in reality a better game within RE7 would do it.

WHY DON'T YOU LIKE ME, CLI-AIRE!?

But no, seriously, he was fucking terrible.

Capcom's current RE stuff doesn't really seem to be the best when it comes to overall gamedesign, so while I'm fine when they're just doing an HD remaster like this (And REmake HD has turned out pretty well.) I wouldn't put much faith in them, even if they did a RE2 remake in the classic style. Just saying.

I sure as hell hope not, Zero was the game that made me realize Resident Evil had jumped the shark and the name was dead to me until 4.

Zero being remastered before 2 and 3 is insane.

Zero is the same process they just did to Re-Make. 2 and 3 would take a significant amount of work and budget to do thats not happening.

I'd be down. Zero is super flawed but I still enjoyed it.

Also screw the haters the game gets better once you get to the Mansion/Training Facility. I'm just a sucker for big scary houses though no matter how tired they are :p (Too bad about all the areas after tho!)

Doesn't hurt that the backgrounds are abso-fucking gorgeous

Can't be worse than Code Veronica

I'm no Code Veronica fan but it really is. The story sucks and, last I recall, contradicts some of the other games/Wesker Reports. The new enemies/bosses were all terrible. The character switching system gets old, fast. And the removal of item boxes leads to a lot of backtracking.

On a different subject, I don't think people understand what they're asking for when they request a RE2 remake. I mean really, who is going to remake it? One of the RE6 teams? You trust those guys to remake RE2? And do you think they'd design it as an old school RE or are they more likely to simplify the puzzles, throw the camera behind Leon/Claire and turn it into a generic shooter?

I'd prefer it if a) Capcom worked with GoG to make RE2 and RE3 available on PC digitally (plus some of their other games, like Dino Crisis) and b) Sony added PS1 Classics support to the PS4.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Zero was the game when I knew RE needed to evolve. The whole thing felt so stale to me. Then RE4 came along...

I'm not going to call it a bad game, though.

It was just the story in Zero, there's nothing wrong with the classic style RE gameplay. Sure it's not as mainstream as 4,5,6 but to act like it needed a complete overhaul is something I will always completely disagree with. I mean good lord, look at Uncharted, COD, GOW, GeOW, Halo. All of those games largely play the same as their previous entry but few people complain. I think the biggest thing with the older RE's is that lots of people wanted to play them and enjoy them but didn't want to put forth the effort to actually master the controls, which in reality really aren't that difficult to harness. Anyone, and I'm not directing this at you, who complains about "tank controls" have no clue what they're talking about.

Besides, RE4 was the beginning of the end for the series, regardless of how highly regarded (RE4) or commercially successful the new games have been.

I like Zero and I probably will get it again. It ain't RE2 or 3, but remakes of those probably won't happen for ages considering how cheap modern Capcom are.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I like Zero and I probably will get it again. It ain't RE2 or 3, but remakes of those probably won't happen for ages considering how cheap modern Capcom are.

I wish sony would just offer to fund the advertising and a good percentage of the development costs for a RE2 remake, same thing with FF7.

I feel like having those exclusive on console would sell some systems, definitely with FF7.

Zero isn't even bad, it's just boring as shit. It doesn't do anything terribly, but it doesn't do anything remotely interesting either.

I fucking despised CVX, yet I still managed to force myself into finishing it. I can't even do the same with Zero. Such a dull game.

Ralemont

not me
It was just the story in Zero, there's nothing wrong with the classic style RE gameplay. Sure it's not as mainstream as 4,5,6 but to act like it needed a complete overhaul is something I will always completely disagree with. I mean good lord, look at Uncharted, COD, GOW, GeOW, Halo. All of those games largely play the same as their previous entry but few people complain. I think the biggest thing with the older RE's is that lots of people wanted to play them and enjoy them but didn't want to put forth the effort to actually master the controls, which in reality really aren't that difficult to harness. Anyone, and I'm not directing this at you, who complains about "tank controls" have no clue what they're talking about.

Besides, RE4 was the beginning of the end for the series, regardless of how highly regarded (RE4) or commercially successful the new games have been.

Uncharted is only 3 games, Halo 4 doesn't play like the previous Halos, and a lot of people complain about Call of Duty's stagnation. And stagnation is what I'm talking about with Zero, which is different from suggesting something is wrong with RE's classic gameplay. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it, but I was tired of it after 6 games.

Even the worse classic REs are still better than 4-6.
Item management is the biggest problem in this, but I'd probably still put it above 3. Also, last real RE with good graphics. I can't hate.

Davey Cakes

I'm weird. I loved RE3 and RE0 but I'm struggling to get through Code Veronica.

Releasing a remaster of Zero makes sense. Capcom can just use what they learned from the REmake Remaster's development.

Plus, it's not upper-tier Resident Evil but Zero still deserves to see a wider audience at this point.

I sure as hell hope not, Zero was the game that made me realize Resident Evil had jumped the shark and the name was dead to me until 4.

Zero being remastered before 2 and 3 is insane.

You don't seem to understand that the work done on RE1 is literally just polish and a few other things (and 3D environments in some areas I hear). That same amount of effort could be applied to RE0 since they're using the same engine (I believe, although I noticed RE0 has more scrolling areas).

RE2 and 3 would literally require work from the ground up.

Sectus

Why are people asking for RE 2 here? that would obviously be a much bigger project than a cheap remaster.
Now, listen to this beautiful save room theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW-fy9-eGNo
And now just imagine that music HD-fied by being played at a higher pitch and speed!

But seriously, I'd be okay with an RE0 remaster. I personally think REmake is a lot better, but I still enjoyed my time with RE0. And the project makes a lot of sense. REmake looks great updated, and since RE0 is on the same engine they can do the same type of work.

Lakitu

st5fu
This is great news. I absolutely loved Zero despite all the criticism it gets. It has that wonderful trademark RE atmosphere and it was just a blast to play IMO.

Kuraudo

Banned
I like the train section in Zero. After that it becomes a bit of a chore, especially with the constant movement between areas that doesn't lend itself to the crappy item management. It's not terrible, it's just a lot less interesting than the other games.

Also, I know you're not meant to complain about the story in Resident Evil, but as a prequel it makes absolutely no effort to fit in with the games it's meant to be illuminating.

Lernaean

Banned
I'm ok with this, i liked Zero.

And i disagree with people talking about RE2. Putting it straight on HD would be really a stupid move from Capcom.
Let's face it, PS1 games have not aged well. You either remaster them or do nothing with them.
Ofc, a RE2 Remake would be awesome.

Tomodachi

REbirth and RE0 HD would be great starting points for a reboot of the series, no need to retcon those (even though RE0 is totally skippable, imho). Then they should start the actual reboot with a total overhaul/retelling of RE2 and continue from there. No
nuclearizing Raccoon City
please.

Do it Capmoc.

Nemesis_

Literally just finished another session of REmake HD and I am so appreciative of Zero giving you the ability to drop items and pick them back up whenever you wished. So many times in the game where I'd want to grab something but couldn't.

Zero reminds me a lot of Sweet Home actually, at least in terms of functionality.

Plasma

Banned
I bet if RE2 did see a remaster it would be using the Outbreak/Darkside Chronicles assets with higher resolution textures.

Melchiah

I hope this is true, as I never got to play it. I've heard a lot of negative comments about the exclusion of item boxes though. I guess there's no chance they'd put them in the remake?

Rymuth

Blech~

One of the worst RE. Played it three times and failed to complete it every single time. Like people said, once you got off the train, it goes downhill...and I ended up forgetting about it for long stretches of time before coming back, realizing I have no idea where to go next and then restarting the game again before stopping at the exact same point.

Bl@de

On a different subject, I don't think people understand what they're asking for when they request a RE2 remake. I mean really, who is going to remake it? One of the RE6 teams? You trust those guys to remake RE2? And do you think they'd design it as an old school RE or are they more likely to simplify the puzzles, throw the camera behind Leon/Claire and turn it into a generic shooter?

I'd prefer it if a) Capcom worked with GoG to make RE2 and RE3 available on PC digitally (plus some of their other games, like Dino Crisis) and b) Sony added PS1 Classics support to the PS4.

100% agree. Mikami and Kamiya are long gone. And when I look at the last two RE games (Revelaitons and 6) ... please no RE2 remake Capcom. Please leave it alone.

Also: Bring RE1-3, DC1+2 to GoG! Or at least steam...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's easily the weakest of the pre-RE4 games, but I will probably still get it.

Aside from the opening section, there's nothing memorable about the game at all. The entire game was just a weak copy of the mansion with none of the interesting bits. The character switching wasn't used particularly well and the inventory system was a nightmare if you were a hoarder like me. The bosses are all really boring (just the usual giant version of some creature) and billy is just the most boring character in RE history.

I liked 0 more than 6. So...

Even though I have just bitched about it, RE0 is the GOAT when compared to that total POS.

Kuroyume

Banned
Inventory system was complete shit. Spent more time moving shit throughout the game than I did fighting monsters and solving puzzles.

Mohonky

So basically it seems like Capcom have given up and are just rereleasing their entire catalogue from previous gens......

If this is the case, where the fuck is my Viewtiful Joe and PN03?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I would love this and Nemesis to be remade. The only 2 in the series i haven't ever had the chance to give a go.

I just played Nemesis on the Vita and it was fantastic, well worth a go.

Top Bottom