• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn Talks Titanfall 2 Multiplayer – Feedback, Microtransactions & More

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Alright. As I've mentioned earlier this week, our full Titanfall 2 multiplayer interview with Respawn is now live: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...sactions-listening-to-the-community/#/slide/1

I've put in some choice quotes below as well such as the grappling hook being default for all classes, TF1 sales, microtransactions, etc. Full interview which is linked has everything. :)
PlayStation LifeStyle: The tech test has seen some mixed reactions, with a lot of online communities saying good and bad things about it. What’s your take on this, in general? Is there anything that jumped out at you? Any users that surprised you or made particularly good points?”

Joel Emslie: Absolutely. We have a history of listening to feedback and can make a better game based on that feedback. I would say the part I found surprising…um, when I was a little caught off guard was some of the feedback was coming from a place of… it’s as if we would never make a change or listen to anybody.
We want to hear this stuff, but I was surprised by the preconception that we wouldn’t listen to them. So I felt that I wanted to say ‘No, no, we’re listening.’ We’re all ears. We listen to everything; we read everything. One of the things I was most proud of — for the team — was that we were able to pivot in one week and make changes to the game. We were able to change it within one week.
And they’re good changes and it’s good feedback and we wanna hear that stuff but… the main message I would want to be loud and clear to the community of gamers and press is that we’re all ears. We are listening. We want to make a better game. We want to hear the most negative feedback possible so that we can react and get that in there and calibrate it.”

PSLS: Can you clarify specifically what was that change was — the quick one that you made in a week?

Emslie:
It’s not just one thing in particular. When you look at Titanfall 1, the game was cranked up to 11. You know, we cranked it up to 11 and ripped off the knob and tossed it. So Titanfall 2 is taking that game and refining it and balancing it getting things to feel right and elements and weapons and abilities to have meaning and counters and all that good stuff.

And so I believe that ah… the first game was so vanilla. A lot of stuff was there, but it was so experimental that it just, it didn’t have a lot of meaning to it. I think the reaction from the community was, looking at the game from the way it was balanced and stuff and have some ideas about ah…they would like to have brought bring back this element or that element and ‘that worked really well.’

But yeah. It wasn’t just one thing. It was a range of different things. And I think you can look at the tech test and they were only being vocal about a few things, which is amazing considering how different a game it actually is.

Welch: So, the purpose of a tech test was to — well in advance of launch — understand if there were possible impediments or roadblocks for our server infrastructure. That’s what it was and that’s why we didn’t call it a beta, didn’t call it a demo. It wasn’t for those purposes. We didn’t market this thing or say, ‘hey a million people have come and signed up for whatever.’ It’s nice to have, and we did listen to the feedback, but very successful tech test. Both weekends we were identifying issues that would have been stumbling blocks at launch.

On Wallrunning, there was some feedback like, ‘Okay so in Titanfall 2, these two maps you’re showing us don’t feature a lot of wall-running.’ Well, it was a tech test and we didn’t want to show all these brand new maps we have, which are really high in wall-running and chaining wall runs together

“[The notion of gameplay feedback coming from a test intended to evaluate online servers] is good and bad, I mean it was surprising to see how it came at us, but….”
Emslie: “It’s nice to see how passionate people are.”

Welch: We make these games because we’re passionate about them and we make them for the fans. We do wanna hear (that stuff).

Emslie: And Day 1, launch, the game will be a certain way based on our feedback from the tech test and our experience with Titanfall development — both games — the whole launch experience, and post launch, it’ll continue. We’ll continue to get feedback, we’ll continue to listen to people. We’ll update the game, calibrate this or move that. It’s really important to just keep that dialog going so that the game gets completely refined.

PSLS: Speaking of customization, will Titan and/or pilot skins be part of paid microtransactions? Or free? Unlockable? What’s that looking like?”

Emslie: Day 1, we have a massive amount of camos and we actually call them ‘war paint.’ There’s war paints for very specific… not just camo, but different like, chromed-out stuff and different stylings of decals and stuff like that. We also have nose art which goes over the front of the Titan, which in most cases is custom to each type of Titan. Pilot… Pilot weapons, you can throw camo on. Titan weapons, you can throw camo on. There could be, based on where we go with DLC, there may be a point where we charge for cosmetics, but we’re not there yet.

Certainly, our focus has been day 1, in the box, cramming as much as we can possibly get in there so that people are really feeling like they got the value of their money — like they got their money’s worth.

PSLS: How did the original Titanfall’s sales compare to your own expectations? I have seven million written here. Is that accurate?

Welch: EA released at some point, 7.5 million. I think we’re at almost 11 million unique players. For a single platform early on in the hardware cycle, that’s extraordinary. What I’ve heard from EA is that it’s their best-selling new IP ever. So I think back to my early days with all of the Call of Duty games, you know, Titanfall 1…well ahead of the sales curve of Call of Duty. The attach rate was much higher.

For us, we weren’t expecting this high level of sales at all. I think if we’d been multiplatform, that’d have been extraordinary at launch.

PSLS: Has Respawn ever considered making the grappling hook a default ability for every class?

Emslie: I think people love (the grappling hook), but there are abilities in multiplayer that, in my opinion, once you get to know them, rival the grappling hook. It also depends on what type of map you’re playing on. Is the grappling hook, like, an appropriate tactical ability there? So I think that the way the pilot abilities are strung together, and the way they reflect the way the Titan abilities are done…. There’s a gameplay language There’s a gameplay balance to how all this stuff works together. Like imagine if all the pieces of a chess set were queens and could do anything.

PSLS: Right.

Emslie: You start losing the value of gameplay. There’s a counter balance to everything. There’s a way that these things plug into the mutliplayer experience. Tech test only showed a few abilities. There’s a lot more to it than that. There’s a lot more… uh, there’s the entire game. There’s a lot more weapons than we showed and customization within the weapons. We scratched the surface, we released a sample of content. I believe there are stronger things in the final content that maybe people will realize, ‘Oh, this fits here, but it might not fit over there. There’s something cooler that fits over there.

Welch: Coming out of the tech test, when you read the data for what people are doing with your tech test, which is awesome to do, grapple was number one and then stim was number two. But then, once you experience different maps and different play styles, grapple probably won’t be your default. Let’s put it that way.

Full interview here where lots more are discussed. And yeah, it's quite long but we didn't ask any fluff stuff. :)

Orayn

Map explanation is bizarre. Why wouldn't you put your best foot forward? What you show in the test is going to color people's expectations for the final product. Demoing maps that lack what fans want from the series is going to leave a huge negative impression.

jennetics

We want to hear this stuff, but I was surprised by the preconception that we wouldn’t listen to them.

I'm surprised by that too. From what I remember of Titanfall, Respawn was constantly working on patches and fixes that made the game more fun for everyone. Maybe the internet thought they wouldn't listen because they changed too much during the tech test? Idk. Either way, glad to see Titanfall 2 shaping up like it is. Really excited to play this!

Map explanation is bizarre. Why wouldn't you put your best foot forward? What you show in the test is going to color people's expectations for the final product. Demoing maps that lack what fans want from the series is going to leave a huge negative impression.
Didn't stop Battlefield with that shit desert map.

Excited. I enjoyed the first and hopefully the PC community doesn't die out like it did for the first 1. Free content updates should help with that, though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm guessing they wanted people to test out what was different from the first game.

Alienous

On Wallrunning, there was some feedback like, ‘Okay so in Titanfall 2, these two maps you’re showing us don’t feature a lot of wall-running.’ Well, it was a tech test and we didn’t want to show all these brand new maps we have, which are really high in wall-running and chaining wall runs together

Sure, Respawn. Whatever you say.

No fucking idea. The Eden map showcased in the new Attrition videos looks exactly like what everyone wanted from Titanfall 2. The jungle map from the Pilot trailer also looks to allow some fantastic traversal. Why not have at least one of them in the tech test? Why have two maps with limited wallrunning (Homestead, Kodai), and another where wallrunning gets cut off in the middle of the map (Boomtown)? This completely eludes me.

EvB

A good reason to not do public tests if anything. People can't read.
Beta has now become gamer slang for Demo, so they called it an Alpha.

Then to make it clearer, they even called it an Alpha Multiplayer Tech Test and gave you a warning when the game booted.

several months before it became available they stated the purpose of the tech test several times.

Joel Emslie said:
We want to hear this stuff, but I was surprised by the preconception that we wouldn’t listen to them.

People reacted like this because the way Respawn is speaking about the game is so totally against everything that made the first one great. Saying things like:

Joel Emslie said:
And I think you can look at the tech test and they were only being vocal about a few things, which is amazing considering how different a game it actually is.

are exactly why people are disappointed and don't expect the real changes that have been outlined numerous times. They've changed what the franchise is and seem to be ignoring or trying to do damage control on every glaring issue fans have brought up because they have no time to make real changes.

Alienous

Then to make it clearer, they even called it an Alpha Multiplayer Tech Test and gave you a warning when the game booted.

several months before it became available they stated the purpose of the tech test several times.

None of this explains why they wouldn't put maps in the Technical Test that they wanted to represent the game with.

Drewfonse

Yeah, that response me zero sense. They showed us new maps. Why not at least highlight 1 stellar one if it exists? I have faith in the final release, but that rationale did them no favors in the stress test. The maps were not great.

Yeah, the first game was kind of basic in terms of what content you had. And that's what made it so good. That's what used to make CoD so good. Until they started adding in lots of kill streaks and death streaks and extra abilities and items and attachments and all that other shit. In TF everything was super refined and balanced. The tech test did not seem nearly as such. I still have faith it will be at least a decent shooter but the interview didn't take away any doubt I have after playing it.

Seems pretty sure that we're getting customization microtransactions.

Chris1

They still had some intention on selling you on the game through the "alpha tech test". I mean, it had pre order Titanfall 2 as a menu option.

If the sole purpose of the game was to test the tech they wouldn't try to sell you on it from the menu option. It might have been a big part of the reason but they only have themselves to blame when they use it as a marketing tool aswell.

Rayme

They still had some intention on selling you on the game through the "alpha tech test". I mean, it had pre order Titanfall 2 as a menu option.

If the sole purpose of the game was to test the tech they wouldn't try to sell you on it from the menu option. It might have been a big part of the reason but they only have themselves to blame when they use it as a marketing tool aswell.

Where's the line though? For a real test, we need real matches on real servers. We couldn't just release Respawn 2D Pong Attack EX and pretend it would be an actual test (or get real player counts).

Also can't pretend that nobody will look at that build as a sample of the real game. Because that's what it was, in a nascent, hard-to-communicate way. A polished but out-of-date slice of our work in progress. Of course people will judge it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Where's the line though? For a real test, we need real matches on real servers. We couldn't just release Respawn 2D Pong Attack EX and pretend it would be an actual test (or get real player counts).

Also can't pretend that nobody will look at that build as a sample of the real game. Because that's what it was, in a nascent, hard-to-communicate way. A polished but out-of-date slice of our work in progress. Of course people will judge it.

Can I ask a honest question if you can answer, if you can't no worries totally understand.

Was the original Team that worked on Titanfall 1 same team that help develop titanfall 2? Or is tianfall 2 made up of some old and some new development team wise since there are other projects going on at respawn?

I have really good feelings about this game. It really seems like Respawn is listening to the fans. I enjoyed the tech test. This game is day one for me.

Hoping to see another campaign trailer soon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have really good feelings about this game. It really seems like Respawn is listening to the fans. I enjoyed the tech test. This game is day one for me.

Hoping to see another campaign trailer soon.
Keighley's got campaign footage for the first episode of his new YouTube show.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Good luck with this one. I loved the first Titanfall - bought a 360 and and X1 just for it. Hopefully this one works out well.

I really wish it wasn't coming out in the middle of FPS season though. I don't want it to get stomped on by the megafranchises.

Rayme

Can I ask a honest question if you can answer, if you can't no worries totally understand.

Was the original Team that worked on Titanfall 1 same team that help develop titanfall 2? Or is tianfall 2 made up of some old and some new development team wise since there are other projects going on at respawn?

We're bigger now, but yes. We finished Titanfall 1 and rolled onto Titanfall 2 (some working on patch stuff longer than others). Stig has been growing a separate team for Star Wars. They started VERY small, with just him, x.y years ago, and have grown carefully and smartly.

Good luck with this one. [...]
Thanks man. =)

AHA-Lambda

I've reached a point now with the AAA games industry that I feel incredibly sceptical of a game that is promising free maps in the future and with no microtransactions; I'm left wondering what the catch is, especially for an EA game...

Orayn

Assuming they were content-complete or very close at the time of the test, Respawn had control over map and mode selection, and that has nothing to do with "alpha" "beta" or "technical"status. I'm saying that they made some questionable choices in that area and deservedly got some negative feedback for them.

jediyoshi

This is such a bizarre statement, I really hope they just got caught up while translating to PR-speak.

wipeout364

I've reached a point now with the AAA games industry that I feel incredibly sceptical of a game that is promising free maps in the future and with no microtransactions; I'm left wondering what the catch is, especially for an EA game...

I am fully expecting the same as overwatch or the call of duty supply drops. Randomized camo's, outfits and guns with stat changes. Plus they can also do all this for the mechs with customized looks, paint jobs. Then they could also charge for new mechs as well. Look at the shit overwatch gives you in their packs 90% is total garbage and people still defend it because you get a map thrown your way every 6 months.

Calen

Assuming they were content-complete or very close at the time of the test

We hadn't even hit alpha yet when that build was finalized. That's what "pre alpha" actually meant, not "hey let's think of another couple of words that really mean demo."

I know this is a very easy assumption to make, but it's fundamentally incorrect.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I am fully expecting the same as overwatch or the call of duty supply drops. Randomized camo's, outfits and guns with stat changes. Plus they can also do all this for the mechs with customized looks, paint jobs. Then they could also charge for new mechs as well. Look at the shit overwatch gives you in their packs 90% is total garbage and people still defend it because you get a map thrown your way every 6 months.

If people checked the full interview, the follow up to the microtransactions bit went like this:

PSLS: So it’s not specifically planned at this time?
Emslie: It’s not decided on yet. We’re still…. here’s also an element of ‘Let’s release the game. Let’s wa–‘ We’re working on DLC. But we still have a curiosity to see like, what type of DLC do we really focus on, rather than just chucking out some stuff that we think [players] might want.

Welch: Important to say here is that we’ve done this before and announced again that all maps and modes will be free. We give that stuff out for free as DLC.

Emslie: Yeah, we do not want to divide our player base. We need to make sure everybody’s on the same playing field and has access to the same maps and game modes.

That bold part pf what Emslie said makes me think that they won't do Supply Drops (does the game even have an equivalent of it?) that will have weapons. I pretty much expect camos (Pilots and Titans) to be paid DLC, and maybe they'll have Legendary War Paints or something. As long as it doesn't affect balance and actual gameplay, I'm fine. This is what I didn't like with CoD that's becoming the norm; guns that can only be accessed by RNG.

If they can keep dishing out new maps regularly, and have post-launch content that's actually meaningful, then I'll gladly buy a War Paint pack (assuming it's not expensive) just to support this business model. Way better than Season Passes, right?

When we asked about the level cap, I'm optimistic about this part:

Emslie: Yeah, it’s a waaaay different style than Titanfall 1. There’s so much there to keep going and going and going. We really listened to the fact that people wanted more stuff or more choice and took that to heart. I’ve said it before and talked to some other people here: I’m not kidding. From adding artistic cosmetics to the game, and other things, Day 1, launch. I found out we had an extra week and I told the artists, ‘Everybody keep adding stuff and don’t stop until I tell you to.’

They mention visual customization/cosmetics which lead me to believe that higher ranked players will have War Paint that shows' they're high ranked. Not everyone is a fan of the whole "carrot-on-a-stick" thing, but it's hard to deny that it works in keeping players looped in. Maybe skins will be enough for players to keep grinding and playing (as long as the base game is actually fun), no? It worked for BF4 and in Overwatch.

I'm really, really opposed to having weapons and equipment, Pilot classes and new Titans be tucked away under a paywall, since those could seriously make the game unbalanced. You heard that, Respawn guys? (Please say you did). ;)

ramuh

The game felt a little off. It could be the map selection or just the time spent with it. I do remember having Titans a little earlier. And a host of other quarks. I still enjoyed the game tbough. Maybe it just didn't feel as visceral as the first. I dunno. Having a hard time nailing down why I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. And is burn cards gone for good?

wipeout364

There is nowhere in that quote where they say no RNG or supply drops, black market, battle packs, sticker packs whatever the hell you want to call it. IMO the die is cast and we are likely stuck with randomized loot packs in these games; I suspect they generate a ton of cash. I hope they surprise me I would like nothing more then being able to buy skins but random loot hooks people. I am sure if you ask the COD developers they would say their weapons do not unbalance the game either. This is a shitty development in gaming but it is the foreseeable future.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Still no talk of AI, Skyboxes, NPC Chatter....

Want this to be great, but still wish they would delay it, just for the health of the franchise. Better game, and not in the middle of the Battlefield 1/infinite Warfare/Gears 4 gangbang.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Still day 1 for me.

Cool interview, glad they're so open to feedback

Thanks for reading! I copy and pasted a ton of the stuff here, so people won't think I'm fishing for hits. :)

The game felt a little off. It could be the map selection or just the time spent with it. I do remember having Titans a little earlier. And a host of other quarks. I still enjoyed the game tbough. Maybe it just didn't feel as visceral as the first. I dunno. Having a hard time nailing down why I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. And is burn cards gone for good?

Have you seen the new vids that got released a few days ago? Looks way better than the tech test (Eden map is more confined, more classes, etc.)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282802&highlight=excaliburps

excaliburps,
Could you ask them if an FoV slider will be available on consoles?

I can try, but doubt they'd answer (unless unofficially). Interestingly enough, devs are more open on GAF than to us (games media people) when you look at it since there is a tendency that some stuff can get misconstrued and be turned into a headline. xD

There is nowhere in that quote where they say no RNG or supply drops, black market, battle packs, sticker packs whatever the hell you want to call it. IMO the die is cast and we are likely stuck with randomized loot packs in these games; I suspect they generate a ton of cash. I hope they surprise me I would like nothing more then being able to buy skins but random loot hooks people. I am sure if you ask the COD developers they would say their weapons do not unbalance the game either. This is a shitty development in gaming but it is the foreseeable future.

There's also nowhere in that quote that says it is, no? :) I'm fine with packs, etc. as long as they'e cosmetic. Really hope they don't do that Supply Drop thing. And yeah, I agree with you on CoD devs might think how the RNG weapons aren't game-breaking. I will say that in Black Ops 3, the vanilla guns are still king for the most part, so there's that at least.

With how big the development cost of games are these days, randomized skin packs as paid DLC might be the best we can hope for. Certainly better than constant Season Passes and Supply Drops, no?

Still no talk of AI, Skyboxes, NPC Chatter....

Want this to be great, but still wish they would delay it, just for the health of the franchise. Better game, and not in the middle of the Battlefield 1/infinite Warfare/Gears 4 gangbang.

AI? You mean if they're neutral or siding with one faction, etc.? In the videos here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282802&highlight=excaliburps some of the YouTubers mention that AI do fight one another and such. And I'm fairly certain I heard NPC chatter as well (not super sure, but I watched a lot and remember it). :)

I can try, but doubt they'd answer (unless unofficially). Interestingly enough, devs are more open on GAF than to us (games media people) when you look at it since there is a tendency that some stuff can get misconstrued and be turned into a headline. xD

I don't know, man. Rayme has been avoiding me like he would a crazy ex.

Rayme

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I don't know, man. Rayme has been avoiding me like he would a crazy ex.

Better than EA reps ignoring you, believe me. Haha! xD

Attrition is two teams, each team has AI, and the AI enjoy murdering each other. Human NPCs definitely talk.

And there you go. I knew I remembered it but didn't know which YouTube vid.

On another note, I think the "Pilots" trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHvoaAAhGno&feature=youtu.be you guys released is the best trailer for TF2 so far.Awesome editing and shows a nice blend of traversal with a decent amount of actual in-game action (not staged). :)

YOU USED TO SEND ME FLOWERS.

...if the answer is ever "no" for sure for launch, I'll say so. If it's ever "yes" for sure for launch, I'll say so. Hang tight.

:D

You're not obligated to answer, so feel free to ignore.

Could you offer some insight on what the discussion is like from a devs point of view? I'm curious why developers are hesitant to include these options in the console space. I've been bugging the hell out of Blizzard for the same thing, but, you know, crazy ex and stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
PSLS: Has Respawn ever considered making the grappling hook a default ability for every class?

Emslie: I think people love (the grappling hook), but there are abilities in multiplayer that, in my opinion, once you get to know them, rival the grappling hook. It also depends on what type of map you’re playing on. Is the grappling hook, like, an appropriate tactical ability there? So I think that the way the pilot abilities are strung together, and the way they reflect the way the Titan abilities are done…. There’s a gameplay language There’s a gameplay balance to how all this stuff works together. Like imagine if all the pieces of a chess set were queens and could do anything.

Yea the grappling hook should easily be default for all the classes. It helps speed up the game for everybody and while there are other perks that are useful in particular scenarios, due to the way the maps are designed, the grappling hook though trumps everything all-around.

mcz117chief

Titanfall 2 seems a bit more grounded and Counter Strike like. I absolutely adored the first Titanfall's chaotic, battlefield like atmosphere like we can see here. I really wish they would emulate it in the second game and crank it up to 11 again.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Not hating on PSLS (good site), does GAF allows site owners and staff to post their stuff here?

Just asking for clarification.

I asked a mod for permission before doing so. :) And er, I don't own the site, but just work for the company that owns it. XD I would love to own it though. Haha!

Canadian

Great interview! I like how open they are about feedback. It sounds like they've really looked at what worked and didn't in the first game and improved things. I'm a huge fan of the first game and was a little worried after all the negative talk about the tech test. However the recent videos and interviews have really got me excited about the game. Really looking forward to it :)

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Great interview! I like how open they are about feedback. It sounds like they've really looked at what worked and didn't in the first game and improved things. I'm a huge fan of the first game and was a little worried after all the negative talk about the tech test. However the recent videos and interviews have really got me excited about the game. Really looking forward to it :)

Thanks! :) And yeah, the latest vids seem to make a lot of fans happy. Hopefully, Respawn can pump out a ton of timely post-game content.

Top Bottom