• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rest in Power: the Trayvon Martin Story

ILLtown

but zimmerman had the right to follow around a teen and physically attack a teen ?
Of course he had the right to follow him. As for attacking him, he was entitled to use deadly force as a means of self defence under Florida law. Ultimately that's why he was found not guilty. The prosecution could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that his actions were outside the law.

The fact that Martin was 17 is neither here nor there. That's just an appeal to emotion.

Are you serious right now?
Yes, are you? Have you even read anything about this case or the laws related to it?

Also, don't assume that I'm in favour of Florida's stand your ground law, because I'm not. It has all kinds of issues as far as I'm concerned, however, the outcome of Zimmerman's trial can only be dictated by the laws under which he was being prosecuted.

I strongly suspect that if a black guy killed a white guy under the exact same circumstances, your stance would be flipped around completely, while mine would not.

Last edited:
Of course he had the right to follow him. As for attacking him, he was entitled to use deadly force as a means of self defence under Florida law. Ultimately that's why he was found not guilty. The prosecution could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that his actions were outside the law.

The fact that Martin was 17 is neither here nor there. That's just an appeal to emotion.

Yes, are you? Have you even read anything about this case or the laws related to it?

Also, don't assume that I'm in favour of Florida's stand your ground law, because I'm not. It has all kinds of issues as far as I'm concerned, however, the outcome of Zimmerman's trial can only be dictated by the laws under which he was being prosecuted.

I strongly suspect that if a black guy killed a white guy under the exact same circumstances, your stance would be flipped around completely, while mine would not.

Of course he had the right to follow him.

No.

ILLtown

You have no arguments that aren't based on emotion or ego.

For Zimmerman to be guilty under Florida's stalking laws, it would have to be proven that he had followed him repeatedly and maliciously. He didn't repeatedly follow him. As for malicious intent, well, Zimmerman was the one that called 911, giving both his identity and location to the person who answered the call. Zimmerman got out of his car and went looking for Martin after being asked "which way did he run?".

There was no evidence that he broke any law related to following or stalking Martin. But evidence and facts don't seem to matter to you, so I'm sure you'll be back soon with another hot take one word answer......

cryptoadam

Banned

For Zimmerman to be guilty under Florida's stalking laws, it would have to be proven that he had followed him repeatedly and maliciously. He didn't repeatedly follow him. As for malicious intent, well, Zimmerman was the one that called 911, giving both his identity and location to the person who answered the call. Zimmerman got out of his car and went looking for Martin after being asked "which way did he run?".

There was no evidence that he broke any law related to following or stalking Martin. But evidence and facts don't seem to matter to you, so I'm sure you'll be back soon with another hot take one word answer......

You seem pretty knowledgable on this issue. Did the prosecution try for a plea or lesser charge? With the evidence in the case I don't see how they thought they could convict on a murder charge. But the facts still show that Treyvon died at the hands of Zimmerman and there was also no irrefutable proof that Treyvon attacked him and he was acting in self defense.

I think if they went with a lesser crime they may have been able to get a conviction.

JCK75

Why is this still an argument?
Zimmerman was a douche and a dick for follwing Martin around the neighborhood, reality is with all we know Zimmerman was clearly not a good person.
But Trayvon jumped him and was busting his head up on the pavement so Martin pulled the trigger.. it's unfortunate but hardly a reason to start a revolution.

It's nothing more than a sad, messed up situation that far too many people latched onto for whatever crappy agenda they had on the calendar at that moment.

appaws

Banned
Can someone lay out the raw facts of the Trayvon Martin incident for me without spin? All I’ve ever heard from either side is emotional arguments. I just want a step-by-step breakdown of events.
Why is this still an argument?
Zimmerman was a douche and a dick for follwing Martin around the neighborhood, reality is with all we know Zimmerman was clearly not a good person.
But Trayvon jumped him and was busting his head up on the pavement so Martin pulled the trigger.. it's unfortunate but hardly a reason to start a revolution.

It's nothing more than a sad, messed up situation that far too many people latched onto for whatever crappy agenda they had on the calendar at that moment.

This is the post of the thread, IMO. Zimmerman was a douche who should have listened to the dispatcher and stayed in his vehicle.

Martin was a kid who was a bit of a troublemaker, but it is a terrible tragedy when a person that young loses their life...even if he made a bad decision.

ILLtown

Did the prosecution try for a plea or lesser charge? With the evidence in the case I don't see how they thought they could convict on a murder charge. But the facts still show that Treyvon died at the hands of Zimmerman and there was also no irrefutable proof that Treyvon attacked him and he was acting in self defense.

I think if they went with a lesser crime they may have been able to get a conviction.
He was charged with second degree murder, but the judge ruled that the jury could also consider a charge of manslaughter.

The prosecution tried to add a charge of third degree felony murder based on Zimmerman's actions being considered child abuse, but this was rejected by the judge. The prosecution also did not pursue an even lesser charge of aggravated assault by their own choosing, which could have been on the table as an option.

Dr.Parity

Banned
Since we're talking about profiles, why not talk about Trayvon?

- Suspended from school for defacing property
- Was found with women's jewelry on him that did not belong to him
- On the night of his death he was buying ingredients that could be used to make lean, which his social media showed he used. Not a kid buying "skittles and tea"
- Text messages revealed that he was a schoolyard bully with at least 3 fistfights
- Toxicology expert indicated that there was enough marijuana in his system to cause at least "some level of impairment"

How does someone with no job afford marijuana and anything else for that matter? Zimmerman claimed that Martin was peering into windows. Is that normal of people to do? Does this all mean that Zimmerman should have approached Trayvon? Probably not. Did Trayvon deserve a death sentence? No.

No matter how you slice it, these are the kind of high-risk lifestyles that result in lives ending short. The media overtly tried its hand at stirring up controversy here. From the edited audio from NBC. To the 13 year old picture of him. To making Zimmerman "white". Trayvon is not the hero some think he is. Teach your kids to not be like Trayvon instead of teaching them they are victims.

Gotta love how even with the kid getting murdered in cold blood by a wannabe rent-a-cop, people still flock to "he was no angel!" contextualization for the kids murder.

But that's par for the course.

Last edited:

I'm sure you'll check it out, but zimmerman wasn't charged for stalking.

He won the charge of murdered based on a flawed and terrible stand your ground law.

ILLtown

You're right about one thing though.

Walking down the street at night while black is a high-risk lifestyle in America.
Yeah, black men are around 9 times more likely to be murdered in the USA than white men.

Mind you, over 90% of black murder victims were killed by other black people, so if you're black and want to avoid getting murdered, statistically you're better off hanging around with white folks.

Dr.Parity

Banned
Yeah, black men are around 9 times more likely to be murdered in the USA than white men.

Mind you, over 90% of black murder victims were killed by other black people, so if you're black and want to avoid getting murdered, statistically you're better off hanging around with white folks.

Damn it's almost like American housing is extremely segregated based on race from centuries of discrimination so clusters of people with the same racial background tend to live in small clusters around each other!

You're blowing my mind man!

It's almost like the vast majority of crimes are committed by the person of the same race as the victim!

But keep sprouting that commonly used white supremacist talking point, really makes you look good and not at all like an idiot who can't use commons sense on how crime rates actually function.

Last edited:

It's funny.

Those numbers aren't worked for the disparity in arrests for POC and population ratios.

ILLtown

Damn it's almost like American housing is extremely segregated based on race from centuries of discrimination so clusters of people with the same racial background tend to live in small clusters around each other!
It's almost like what you just said does nothing to dispute anything I said in the post you quoted. Also, it is true that people are more likely to murder someone of their own race, cos the majority of white murder victims were killed by white people too, but you're conveniently ignoring the "9 times more likely part". Black people commit murder at MUCH higher rates than white people do and that's why 13% of the population are responsible for 50% of the murders.

You guys suck at this so bad. Is it because NeoGAF used to be a hugbox where you couldn't post dissenting opinions? You've never had to face people who use facts, reason and logic, so you're just used to ranting and raving based on emotion, is that it?

It's almost like what you just said does nothing to dispute anything I said in the post you quoted. Also, it is true that people are more likely to murder someone of their own race, cos the majority of white murder victims were killed by white people too, but you're conveniently ignoring the "9 times more likely part". Black people commit murder at MUCH higher rates than white people do and that's why 13% of the population are responsible for 50% of the murders.

You guys suck at this so bad. Is it because NeoGAF used to be a hugbox where you couldn't post dissenting opinions? You've never had to face people who use facts, reason and logic, so you're just used to ranting and raving based on emotion, is that it?

Will you accept that POC are disproportionately accused and convicted of crimes?

Last edited:

But there is a statute in the Florida statutes that I was quite surprised was not part of the instructions, which says that if you are the initial aggressor, you do have to retreat and you have to take all efforts to withdraw before you can use deadly force.

So the prosecution did miss an opportunity. And via common sense Zimmerman is the cause, but that's not the law.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Parity

Banned

Sorry, are you citing this when you say "9 times more likely" to be murdered?

Black men were 9 times more likely to be killed by US Police

It's rather hard to talk about numbers when you're not citing anything, and for all I know you're just shitting out random things out of your ass from god knows where

Hey, at least I'm actually talking and viewing now minority views, instead of crying and running to reddit or VOAT

Damn it's funny seeing the same phrases be used by multiple people.

Last edited:

ILLtown

Will you accept that POC are disproportionately accused and convicted of crimes?
It's interesting that you chose the term "POC", when it's only black people that are committing murder at a MUCH higher rate than everyone else.

As for racism in the criminal justice system somehow being responsible for such a massive disparity, erm, no. That's a ridiculous claim, but I doubt you gave it much thought before you replied. You never do. You just want to keep posting via emotion and ego, but it's not doing you any favours.

Dr.Parity

Banned
It's interesting that you chose the term "POC", when it's only black people that are committing murder at a MUCH higher rate than everyone else.

As for racism in the criminal justice system somehow being responsible for such a massive disparity, erm, no. That's a ridiculous claim, but I doubt you gave it much thought before you replied. You never do. You just want to keep posting via emotion and ego, but it's not doing you any favours.

Ah, there is your go to response again, gotta hide in that shell.

Also, to answer your response;

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/7/14834454/exoneration-innocence-prison-racism

Exoneration_race_chart.jpg

I had no idea Cauliflower of Love's emotions had the ability to influence our reality! Truly a ground breaking moment in history

Last edited:

ILLtown

Hey, at least I'm actually talking and viewing now minority views, instead of crying and running to reddit or VOAT

People went to Reddit or VOAT because they were fucking banned from this site by leftist extremist mods, including one who went on a banning rampage banning dozens and dozens of users for no other reason than he was mad about Trump winning the election.

Don't try and imply that you're in the same boat as those people. You're allowed to voice your opinions here, while they were not.

So you don't believe that POC are disproportionately represented in statistics regarding the criminal justice system?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...juana-legalization-racial-disparities-arrests

I just wanted to know where you stood on the facts.

At least a couple of other people feign their stance of being objective, You can just fuck off.

Last edited:

Dr.Parity

Banned
People went to Reddit or VOAT because they were fucking banned from this site by leftist extremist mods, including one who went on a banning rampage banning dozens and dozens of users for no other reason than he was mad about Trump winning the election.

Don't try and imply that you're in the same boat as those people. You're allowed to voice your opinions here, while they were not.

Oh yes, I'm sure the upstanding members who were wrongfully banned from GAF in the past were just great people as they flocked to a place called NeoFAG and doxed other members.

And some, I assume, are good people.

Just like the guy with the gun avatar bitching about black people in a Trayvon Martin thread, great dude.

Last edited:

ILLtown

Oh yes, I'm sure the upstanding members who were wrongfully banned from GAF in the past were just great people as they flocked to a place called NeoFAG and doxed other members.

And some, I assume, are good people.
Fucking hell, you are so utterly clueless.

The owner of this site has fully admitted to the issues with undeserved bans and biased moderation and has been going through the mod logs reverting unjustified bans. In the case of just bishoptl's post-election banning spree, this is what he said: -

EviLore said:
We were descending into madness because all the sane people were being stealth banned en masse by bish. I reviewed approximately 100 of the stealth bans one by one and reversed ~90% of them per the actual rules governing the site.
90% of bans reversed, yet you think they were all shitheads that went over to NeoFAG, a sub on VOAT that seems to only have a handful of users at a cursory glance. Also, EviLore specifically said "all of the sane people were being stealth banned en masse", which implies that only the non-sane people were left.....

EviLore said:
I have a list of several hundred accounts from the known saboteur mods I will begin reviewing now and update with the results in here.

Hundreds and hundreds of people falsely banned, yet you think they all went to fucking NeoFAG. lol.

Please tell me you guys are just playing dumb to troll me. I do hope so, for your sake more than mine.

Last edited:

ILLtown

Still waiting on some citations for your previous post
LOL, I like how you quoted my post but ignored everything in it. I can see why you did though.

Here's the homicide rates by race of the victim per 100,000 for 2015: -

White: 2.6
Hispanic: 4.9
Black: 20.9

The source is the CDC (LINK).

Now please try and tell me that this is all because black people are more likely to be wrongfully convicted of murder so I can laugh at you one more time.

Last edited:

Dr.Parity

Banned
LOL, I like how you quoted my post but ignored everything in it. I can see why you did though.

Here's the homicide rates by race of the victim per 100,000 for 2015: -

White: 2.6
Hispanic: 4.9
Black: 20.9

The source is the CDC (LINK).

Now please try and tell me that this is all because black people are more likely to be wrongfully convicted of murder so I can laugh at you one more time.

Why are you conflating two different issues of young black men being more likely to die and institutional racism where people of color are more likely to be killed/charged with false crimes, profiled?

If you want to talk about why young black men are much more likely to get killed than their white counter parts then you should be asking why that is happening, instead you use that statistic and use it to prove that racism doesn't exist in our justice system.

Strange!

You're blowing my mind man!

It's almost like the vast majority of crimes are committed by the person of the same race as the victim!

But keep sprouting that commonly used white supremacist talking point, really makes you look good and not at all like an idiot who can't use commons sense on how crime rates actually function.

Black people are disproportionately placed in poverty compared to whites. Survival of the fittest.

But you are misleading, it's black males ages 14-35, 3% of the pop are responsible for 50% of whatever. Why? Poverty and environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

ILLtown

Why are you conflating two different issues of young black men being more likely to die and institutional racism where people of color are more likely to be killed/charged with false crimes, profiled?

If you want to talk about why young black men are much more likely to get killed than their white counter parts then you should be asking why that is happening, instead you use that statistic and use it to prove that racism doesn't exist in our justice system.

Strange!
LOL, strawmans galore.

Not once have I attempted to "prove that racism doesn't exist in our justice system", and now that I've provided the data you asked for, you're attempting to shift the goalposts once again.

I still can't decide whether you're just a troll or you're just really bad at this. Either way, I'm not wasting any more of my time with this and you can get back to your little bubble that shields you from reality, lol.

Dr.Parity

Banned
Black people are disproportionately placed in poverty compared to whites. Survival of the fittest.

But you are misleading, it's black males ages 14-35, 3% of the pop responsible for murders. Why? Poverty and environment.

The next question you ask is why such a high portion of the black population is in a cycle of poverty

LOL, strawmans galore.

Not once have I attempted to "prove that racism doesn't exist in our justice system", and now that I've provided the data you asked for, you're attempting to shift the goalposts once again.

I still can't decide whether you're just a troll or you're just really bad at this. Either way, I'm not wasting any more of my time with this and you can get back to your little bubble that shields you from reality, lol.

Strange, if I wanted a little bubble that shields me from "reality", then why would I be on this site which is politically far right and completely against my personal and political ideals?

Only person retreating from this thread is you, just remember that

Last edited:
LOL, strawmans galore.

As for racism in the criminal justice system somehow being responsible for such a massive disparity, erm, no. That's a ridiculous claim,

oh

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rest-in-power-the-trayvon-martin-story.1464182/post-253364037

Work yourself out that bag.

Last edited:

ILLtown

The next question you ask is why such a high portion of the black population is in a cycle of poverty.
Well, we could always ask someone who's studied this: -

Why are homicide victimization rates so much higher in the African-American community? The University of Missouri-St. Louis criminologist Richard Rosenfeld addressed the question in a 2016 study of murder rates in several big cities. He considered three possible explanations, which are not mutually exclusive: an expansion of urban drug markets fueled by the heroin trade; a greater number of prisoners being released into the nation's cities; and a "Ferguson effect" in which the police respond to protests by de-policing.

https://reason.com/blog/2017/08/16/african-americans-8x-more-likely-victim2

That's from a site called "Reason", so you guys may very well be averse to it.

ILLtown

I don't know if you know this but you're quoting an article that sources the same study you quoted earlier.
Yes, and?

The data comes from the CDC. I'm quoting Reason because they specifically talk about a different study that talks about the reasons why the murder rate is higher amongst black people, something which the page on the CDC website does not discuss.

Yes, and?

The data comes from the CDC. I'm quoting Reason because they specifically talk about a different study that talks about the reasons why the murder rate is higher amongst black people, something which the page on the CDC website does not discuss.

So why are you presenting it as something new thing?

Well I know why, it's because you did another cursory search and thought "oh shit look at this" since you can't adequately interpret data on your own.

Last edited:

ILLtown

So why are you presenting it as something new thing?
You have to be trolling now. And WTF is "something new thing"?

I posted the CDC data because the other guy asked me for a source on my claims regarding higher murder rates among black people.

I posted the Reason article because it talks about a study that posits reasons for the murder rate in the black community being higher. The fact that it also references the CDC data is neither here nor there, because I wasn't posting it for the same reason I posted the link to the CDC's website.

Cleared_Hot

I'm not even going to discuss this with you.
lol good come back

A jury of his peers agreed.

Bottom line is this: Zimmerman was being overboard with his duties, trayvon got on to of him and was kicking his ass. Zimmerman used self defense. Did he need to die? No. Was he the perfect little baby face boy the media always portrayed him as? No. Shit happens. It sucks. But Zimmerman was Hispanic, and not a cop... So why did white cops end up executed over this shit???

Last edited:

Ke0

Strange because the NeoF*G subreddit and VOAT were filled to the brim with homophobia, and racism. Just blink and all you saw was "n****r" this and "fucking f*gs!" that. Not to mention many of them were trying to find personal information on GAF members so they could harass them.

Not really people you should be arguing for mate.

The next question you ask is why such a high portion of the black population is in a cycle of poverty

First and foremost it is personal agency. We can start there

Strange, if I wanted a little bubble that shields me from "reality", then why would I be on this site which is politically far right and completely against my personal and political ideals?

Only person retreating from this thread is you, just remember that

You are misinformed if you think this site is far-right. That is just projection. Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.

ILLtown

Strange because the NeoF*G subreddit and VOAT were filled to the brim with homophobia, and racism. Just blink and all you saw was "n****r" this and "fucking f*gs!" that. Not to mention many of them were trying to find personal information on GAF members so they could harass them.

Not really people you should be arguing for mate.
I have not said a single thing that constitutes me "arguing for" people on NeoFAG. I said that some people went there after being banned from here. I said nothing in defence of what they did when they got there. Not one single thing.

Dr.Parity

Banned
First and foremost it is personal agency. We can start there

You are misinformed if you think this site is far-right. That is just projection. Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.

That's a little authoritarian don't you think?

Don't know how it's projection if I'm a liberal who says the site is very much far right leaning in it's thread creation topics and comment providers. Right wing views are what dominate the narrative for the majority of threads.

Last edited:

AfricanKing

I have not said a single thing that constitutes me "arguing for" people on NeoFAG. I said that some people went there after being banned from here. I said nothing in defence of what they did when they got there. Not one single thing.

They deserve to be banned if that's the verbatim they are willing to spill on another site.

You have to be trolling now. And WTF is "something new thing"?

I posted the CDC data because the other guy asked me for a source on my claims regarding higher murder rates among black people.

I posted the Reason article because it talks about a study that posits reasons for the murder rate in the black community being higher. The fact that it also references the CDC data is neither here nor there, because I wasn't posting it for the same reason I posted the link to the CDC's website.

It's the same fucking study you posted about earlier, and you used a different source dissecting it to try and prove another point.

You literally don't understand how facts work .

Last edited:
That's a little authoritarian don't you think?

Don't know how it's projection if I'm a liberal who says the site is very much far right leaning in it's thread creation topics and comment providers. Right wing views are what dominate the narrative for the majority of threads.

Don't play coy.

Also, just because you have a rigid idea of what far right is doesn't mean we have to agree to it. Most of the people you are trying to impose your rigidness on are classical liberals, centrists and libertarians. If some people who are far right or alt-right visit this place then if they push their opinion out there then it will be challenged. That does't mean the site leans that way. Not at all. Also, there are plenty of Gaf that won't touch OT with a ten foot pole because it is political. So you are hyper-generalizing.

Top Bottom