• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

What retro anime titles are long overdue for a blu-ray release in North America?

• Total voters

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
On the plus side you can watch it in full on youtube with English subs and there are rips of the import releases with Eng subs as well. I would like to support an official domestic release though.

5hereCn.jpg

Also I was going to do a psychic "double feature" and touch on Locke The Movie as well but I realized its been so long since I'd last seen it that I'd have to rewatch it to talk about it in any kind of detail. 😋 Though at the very least I can say it's a good movie that's worth watching on blind recommendation and like Crusher Joe it was followed up by several OVAs which are nowhere near as good. Actually in Locke's case the ovas kinda suck. =P
I see YouTube has a couple different subs for Ai. Locke is great and fits into the sci-fi universe along with the recently mentioned Lensman movie. A good psychic -sci-fi anime (I call it good but most modern reviewers throw it under the bus) is Big Wars.

It's not as rare as the others even though 90% of those who watch classic anime don't remember it.

I see YouTube has a couple different subs for Ai. Locke is great and fits into the sci-fi universe along with the recently mentioned Lensman movie. A good psychic -sci-fi anime (I call it good but most modern reviewers throw it under the bus) is Big Wars.

It's not as rare as the others even though 90% of those who watch classic anime don't remember it.

Speaking of not remembering....I remember renting Big Wars from Blockbuster a zillion years ago and I only saw it the one time. In my flashes of memory I recall thinking the opening fight with the spaceships looked better than the rest of the omovie, the enemies sometimes showed as angels or cherubs or some shit, most of it taking place on some kinda ship and the leads girlfriend haunting him as some demon monster or something. Clearly I need to rewatch it cause that memory is pretty locked away.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Speaking of not remembering....I remember renting Big Wars from Blockbuster a zillion years ago and I only saw it the one time. In my flashes of memory I recall thinking the opening fight with the spaceships looked better than the rest of the omovie, the enemies sometimes showed as angels or cherubs or some shit, most of it taking place on some kinda ship and the leads girlfriend haunting him as some demon monster or something. Clearly I need to rewatch it cause that memory is pretty locked away.:messenger_grinning_sweat:
The protagonist is a high rep military service member who is working intelligence to fight a strange psychic war against martians. Yes, they're on Mars. The strange girlfriend is thought to be an insider but that's where the story gets weird...watch the rest to find out what's really going on. I don't want to spoil everything. The full movie is still up on YouTube.

lachesis

Num1Hr8.jpg

I just binge watched 1989 Gunbuster - Aim for the Top last night out of whim. (Taking a break from Rose of Versaille for a bit)

Although it's got pretty much everything that I like in anime - it certainly is an oddball anime. Part parody, part comedy, part shojo-drama, part science fiction, part super-robot anime, and part real-type anime... my favorite 80's character designer/illustrator Haruhiko Mikimoto, etc.. and even the opening / ending featured popular Idol Noriko Sakai - not a fan of her though) - But as whole, if it was 12 episodes instead of just 6, I think it would have been much better. Characters, including Jung Freud, and that boy character Smith, Academy friends and all... could have used a few more episodes to really flesh out. A lot of the times, all seemed to happen rather sudden. Desperate situations not as well represented, etc - Still, all that details scream that it's an Anno anime.

But oh man, the episode 5 was literally rocking with all that detail and all! It's strange that how EP6 became just a black and white, action scenes just became just storyboard-esque drawings - maybe they used up all their budgets on 5?

Anyhow, this somehow made me yearn to re-watch Gurren Lagan once more - one of my favorite recent robot anime - Maybe this whole retracted society is making me to yearn that type of (foolish) optimism.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Num1Hr8.jpg

I just binge watched 1989 Gunbuster - Aim for the Top last night out of whim. (Taking a break from Rose of Versaille for a bit)

Although it's got pretty much everything that I like in anime - it certainly is an oddball anime. Part parody, part comedy, part shojo-drama, part science fiction, part super-robot anime, and part real-type anime... my favorite 80's character designer/illustrator Haruhiko Mikimoto, etc.. and even the opening / ending featured popular Idol Noriko Sakai - not a fan of her though) - But as whole, if it was 12 episodes instead of just 6, I think it would have been much better. Characters, including Jung Freud, and that boy character Smith, Academy friends and all... could have used a few more episodes to really flesh out. A lot of the times, all seemed to happen rather sudden. Desperate situations not as well represented, etc - Still, all that details scream that it's an Anno anime.

But oh man, the episode 5 was literally rocking with all that detail and all! It's strange that how EP6 became just a black and white, action scenes just became just storyboard-esque drawings - maybe they used up all their budgets on 5?

Anyhow, this somehow made me yearn to re-watch Gurren Lagan once more - one of my favorite recent robot anime - Maybe this whole retracted society is making me to yearn that type of (foolish) optimism.
Gunbuster could dominate this thread but I'll need strong contenders to take balance. Taking a break from a series (to me) usually means I've stopped enjoying it. Still enjoying RoV or just wanted to watch some Gunbuster? For me, I switch anime when:

-The series spans more than 26-episodes
-Characters or story is getting boring
-It just ended
-The series is too long
-Maybe I'll try a movie and go back to that series I was watching
-The series took a turn and not a good turn
-Too lonnngggg

Actually they blew the budget on episode 6 itself. The inks and various shades required to do the episode in b&w ended up costing them a ton so they had to cut corners to finish the ep.

Num1Hr8.jpg

Sure the characters and setting could have been fleshed out more, but Gainax worked with what they had (or what they were contracted to make) and managed to put a surprising amount of content into the six episodes. I'd love a 12-episode Gunbuster, but what we got is good enough for me.

And imo constant pessimism is what's foolish, we need more stories that give hope.

Have you watched Giant Robo? It has even more unexplored potential, but it's still a standout OVA series. Supposedly it went through production hell, but it's still a fantastic show.

lachesis

Gunbuster could dominate this thread but I'll need strong contenders to take balance. Taking a break from a series (to me) usually means I've stopped enjoying it. Still enjoying RoV or just wanted to watch some Gunbuster? For me, I switch anime when:

-The series spans more than 26-episodes
-Characters or story is getting boring
-It just ended
-The series is too long
-Maybe I'll try a movie and go back to that series I was watching
-The series took a turn and not a good turn
-Too lonnngggg

I don't know what really happened - but while I was watching some random Youtube (I think it's one of those trivia ones of things like "100 things you didn't know about *insert anime title here*) - and GunBuster just came up, and piqued my interest and decided to watch Episode 1... then just went ahead and binged the entire thing. I may end up watching the GunBuster2 - which I frankly don't remember and didn't leave me much of impact like 1st one.

Last time I watched GunBuster was back in early 90s - so it's been like almost 30 years - so although I know how the general story went on, had forgotten a lot of things and was interest how I would feel watching this after all this time. I'm now much older, and have much more different perspective in life since then - and a lot of times, I come out feeling much different from my initial experience.

Unlike videogames, I tend to watch multiple long animes at any given time at my own pace - but if the anime is too long, I end up just reading the manga in most cases - like Naruto and One Piece (which I don't really follow anymore... that I get lost - not in a good way - in Oda's hectic storytelling style, that I can't even tell what's what on any given page, as well as the anime is just way too long).

Currently I'm on episode 92 of re-watching The Legends of Galactic Heroes (my 3rd run) off and on - usually when I'm doing laundry downstairs over the weekend, and also started re-watch Persona 5 animation.... that I recently finished Persona 4 Golden on Steam, that made me to watch Persona 4 Animation (never watched before - quite well done series), and just moved onto the 5, which I already watched before (not as good as 4 though..) and am on episode 20 for RoV (out of 40 episodes).

lachesis

Sure the characters and setting could have been fleshed out more, but Gainax worked with what they had (or what they were contracted to make) and managed to put a surprising amount of content into the six episodes. I'd love a 12-episode Gunbuster, but what we got is good enough for me.

And imo constant pessimism is what's foolish, we need more stories that give hope.

Have you watched Giant Robo? It has even more unexplored potential, but it's still a standout OVA series. Supposedly it went through production hell, but it's still a fantastic show.

So true - the word that I was thinking was "reckless" than "foolish" :D My engrish... :(

Giant Robo. Yes I watched it and enjoyed very much - especially its production/nostalgic value.
I grew up reading Yokoyama's manga series - my favorite one being Babel II. Giant Robo was basically Yokoyama compilations, and that really got me interested in earlier episodes - but as per the story and characters... definitely wish they were more fleshed out & explained better, rather than being mostly cameos to please oldies like me - but I am thankful that it even exists. (Heard it also had some big financial issues completing the OVA series)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Actually they blew the budget on episode 6 itself. The inks and various shades required to do the episode in b&w ended up costing them a ton so they had to cut corners to finish the ep.
This seemed to be a common occurrence with many OVAs and series of anime in the 80's and 90's. Not just GunBuster but so many that were rushed, cancelled, or dried up during or prior to completion. One particular OVA that I thought had some potential was Sword for Truth. Now, many label as one of the worst OVAs made but I think that has to do with the sterile emotions of the lead character toward women (pretty much a Feudal Golgo 13). I liked it and then I remember it ended with absolutely no conclusion. I've never investigated why it was shutdown but it made it through 2 episodes and was nearing a bit showdown when the series ends abruptly.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I don't know what really happened - but while I was watching some random Youtube (I think it's one of those trivia ones of things like "100 things you didn't know about *insert anime title here*) - and GunBuster just came up, and piqued my interest and decided to watch Episode 1... then just went ahead and binged the entire thing. I may end up watching the GunBuster2 - which I frankly don't remember and didn't leave me much of impact like 1st one.

Last time I watched GunBuster was back in early 90s - so it's been like almost 30 years - so although I know how the general story went on, had forgotten a lot of things and was interest how I would feel watching this after all this time. I'm now much older, and have much more different perspective in life since then - and a lot of times, I come out feeling much different from my initial experience.

Unlike videogames, I tend to watch multiple long animes at any given time at my own pace - but if the anime is too long, I end up just reading the manga in most cases - like Naruto and One Piece (which I don't really follow anymore... that I get lost - not in a good way - in Oda's hectic storytelling style, that I can't even tell what's what on any given page, as well as the anime is just way too long).

Currently I'm on episode 92 of re-watching The Legends of Galactic Heroes
(my 3rd run) off and on - usually when I'm doing laundry downstairs over the weekend, and also started re-watch Persona 5 animation.... that I recently finished Persona 4 Golden on Steam, that made me to watch Persona 4 Animation (never watched before - quite well done series), and just moved onto the 5, which I already watched before (not as good as 4 though..) and am on episode 20 for RoV (out of 40 episodes).
I hope this thread remains active long enough for us to see a U.S. blu-ray release of GunBuster and Maison Ikkoku.

There are only a few longer anime that I would actually recommend to a die hard classic anime fan. V.O.T.O.M.s is one, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Lupin series 1-3, Cutey Honey original series, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura (yeah, 3 Rumiko titles), and the original Dragon Ball (although it got boring for me at season 5). As I've mentioned, I'm currently past episode 125 of Inuyasha. Inuyasha loses much of it's direction and arc past the first 30 episodes. My wife wants to keep watching but there's no denying that it got severely boring after episode 44. What bugs me with super long series is that they tend to only be able to hold context for about 40 episodes. That might explain why most anime series used to be limited to 12-26 episode runs.

Congratulations on getting through 92 episodes. I can speak from experience that 92 episodes of LoGH is going to be more enjoyable than trying to pass a season of One Piece or Naruto.

Prior to Naruto's debut...a lot of promotion was given to it as a new "ninja" series. Many were expecting it to be the best thing in years. Many (including myself) were disappointed. In my opinion, Ninja Scroll alone is better and that's just a movie.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Reminder GunBuster is in SRW T that's got an English translation that is easily available for import. The game also has Magical Knight RayEarth, VOTOMS, Martian Successor Nadesico Prince of Darkness, Cowboy Bebop, most UC Gundams, G Gundam and even Captain Harlock in it.

Reminder GunBuster is in SRW T that's got an English translation that is easily available for import. The game also has Magical Knight RayEarth, VOTOMS, Martian Successor Nadesico Prince of Darkness, Cowboy Bebop, most UC Gundams, G Gundam and even Captain Harlock in it.

You forgot GaoGaiGar! That video gave me chills haha. Though I'll go for X as my first PS4 SRW, as it has the New Nautilus from Nadia:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Glad to see how active this group has been and I'd like to start a new sub-topic for this week. By the way, please feel free to go off-topic and talk about anything relative to retro/classic anime even if a sub-topic is being discussed. It happens. If you're new to this thread, join into the discussion!

So, I was looking at My Anime List and thinking about retro anime I've watched over the past 10-years to give a more recent opinion on things. Here's the question: What are some retro anime series, OVAs, or movies you had to drop (stop watching entirely) in the past 5 or so years? Why did you stop watching them? Did they start to suck, was something too visually disturbing, did you just get bored? Let us know.
I nominate Space Runaway Space Runaway C Cannibalistic kunonabi kunonabi Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme Werewolf Jones Werewolf Jones @Tschumi

Here are three that I thought of:

1. Yami no Shihosha Judge (sold as "Judge" in N.A.)

I was warned prior to watching this by Animetric (a now defunct anime review site) not to watch this. However, I tend to see through the bias of reviews and like to JUDGE an anime for myself. I should have just listened to the review. It was a short OVA which gives little background or motive to why the lead character (an "office worker") gets dragged into a demon realm to be judged for someone's murder or possibly suicide. It's about 48-minutes of boredom and I made it to the end. If this had become popular, then the reputation of 90's anime would have been ruined and you'd still hear people talking about it today. However, since it is a turd...no one remembers it or talks about it. It should stay that way.

n9xvi7M.jpg

2. Kimera

This obscure anime is set in more modern times but not too super futuristic. Two guys basically stumble into a military experiment while driving back from work. They discover this...thing...called Kimera. The Kimera is like some sexless alien / human looking creature with psychic power. One of the guys sees it by accident and it has a moment with him psychically. The creature looks like a guy but they sometimes treat it like it's a girl. It's kept in a cryotube and the men are basically told "you saw nothing here." However, one of the two men has a family member (his Dad, I think) that runs this government lab. The two break in and the other has a moment with Kimera and ends up releasing this thing. It has incredible power and destroys the habitat it was kept to in the lab. It enters the city, is attempted to be raped by two guys who can't identify what it is either, then it massacres them. Somehow, the lover guy escapes with it at the end. I watched this with my wife and we just stared at each other when it ended and were like, "what was that?"

I didn't drop this one per se but I came close.

PAT8nqa.jpg

3. Haunted Junction

When I read the synopsis for this series in the early 2010's, I thought...yeah...it might be good. There's a lot of immature toilet humor and if I remember correctly it's just a bunch of high school kids finding ghosts in their school. I think the reason this really didn't work was because it was overly fan-serviced. I can handle fan-service but it got to a point in which I found it boring and dropped half-way through the 12-episodes.

WyZQVEq.jpg

This isn't going to be a popular thing to say but...
Honorable mentions: The first TV series/season of Magical Knights RayEarth...it was too girly for me but I did finish the first season. Dragon Ball Z is another. 2 or 3 seasons in and I was asking myself, "This is the big follow-up to Dragon Ball? Where's the adventure? It's almost all...let's fight?!" Yu Yu Hakusho beyond the first season...it just wasn't working for me. I was equally pissed off with the game that game out for this on PS2 in which they wanted you to memorize fighting combos...long ones (Yusuke was more skilled apparently in the game). Yusuke's battles often seem like they are handed to him without much discipline.

Last edited:

Cannibalistic

Neo Member
Hmm...
That's tough. I haven't seen too many retro series that I've dropped actually. Although, I guess I haven't seen too many either. I'm mostly familiar with the movies than I am the series or OVAs.

In the spirit of contribution I'll list some more contemporary ones but I haven't seen too many of the recent ones either:

Knights of Sidonia - I enjoy the premise and I really like the style, but there's too much CGI going on for me, and the story really started to meander. It's one I wanted to. like more than I did, because i really dig Tsutomu Nihei's manga style. (But even those I tend to drop because the plot's aren't that interesting).

Attack on Titan - Really had high hopes for this one on the first few episodes, but the action dragged for me, and it felt like I was being presented with too many "mystery boxes" that drug out.

One Punch Man - I loved the first season. I'm not too into comedies but god damn, season one is a treat. The animation, the wit. Was the first recently released anime I'd gotten into in a while. But once I heard the animation style was changing my heart sunk. Saw some gifs for it and chose to avoid season 2 all together.

So, I was looking at My Anime List and thinking about anime I've seen in the past 10-years to give a more recent opinion on things. Here's the question: What are some anime series, OVAs, or movies you had to drop (stop watching entirely) in the past 5 or so years? Why did you stop watching them? Did they start to suck, was something too visually disturbing, did you just get bored? Let us know.

In the past 5 years...hmmm...I rarely permanently drop stuff as I always have an urge to finish what I start but I do take long breaks during a show if my interest wanes enough.

Dragonball Super
I got up to where Goku was recruiting fighters for the multiverse tournament and had some quick wacky adventure with android 17. It just became tedious by then and the series having this "nothing actually matters" tone doesn't help. I do plan to finish this at some point but I don't know when.

Sonic Solider Borgman TV
It's not bad or anything but it's soooo generic. You've seen every character and every plot somewhere before and after awhile watching routine episodes gets boring. I'll finish it and the series isn't without merit but it's just blah. Hopefully the OVA series is better.

Transformers Masterforce
I got halfway through and my watch routine was interrupted for a couple weeks and I never really got back to watching it. =P I'll finish it one day though. Wasn't a bad series (Much better than Headmasters and Victory) and the first several episodes felt more like some lost 80s cartoon and not Transformers which was actually kinda neat.

Close call

Cobra the Animation (2010)
The first 2 1/2 or 3 episodes (Which I believe were original) of this show were so bad I was nearly about to drop it. Seeing a bad Cobra series was just wrong; however, after that the rest of the episodes are adaptions of comic stories and the difference was night and day. Doesn't hold a candle to the old show but I was happy I didn't drop it. I was very close.

A Certain Scientific Railgun -

Could not really stand the lesbian character and how close to the line it is on perviness. Maybe it will get better but 2 episodes made me uncomfortable.

Knights of Sidonia -

Loved Season 1 but 2 isn't really grabbing me.

Tokyo Ghoul - Got bored with it. Felt it is overhyped.

Last edited:

kunonabi

The first 2 1/2 or 3 episodes (Which I believe were original) of this show were so bad I was nearly about to drop it. Seeing a bad Cobra series was just wrong; however, after that the rest of the episodes are adaptions of comic stories and the difference was night and day. Doesn't hold a candle to the old show but I was happy I didn't drop it. I was very close.

Man, that explains a lot. I also didn't care for the first few episodes and was wondering why it was so much worse than the other Cobra stuff I watched before.

lachesis

Finished Rose of Versailles. Due to the fact that I know the whole story and it's basically a tragic story thru and thru - so towards the end, I did feel it weighing down on me a bit - but enjoyed it to the end.

It's a director Osamu Dezaki's work - at least from episode 19 to the end - and it shows. (Including sudden change of the several character designs) The whole anime itself has more of serious tone unlike original Manga by Ikeda Riyoko. Some of the action scenes, especially when guys fist fight with each other, whole "Tomorrow's Joe", which was also (mostly) directed by Dezaki - at several times, I was quite surprised and wondered if I was really watching a Shojo anime, not boxing anime! Now I'm rather fired up to watch more of Dezaki's work. Since I watched Ashita no Joe movie versions at least 20 times each on VHS and practically memorized the whole lines back then, (I like rough 1st one better, although 2nd movie is a visual tour-de-force in Dezaki style) - so thinking about watching Ace-wo-nerae (Aim for the Ace), as I just finished watching Gunbuster: Aim for the Top, which by the name itself suggest is a part parody of Aim for the Ace. :) At least the movie version.

Some of his earlier works that I grew up watching - Nobody's Boy: Remi (Sans Famille)...
and my favorite "Treasure Island". (1978)

JSvilh7.jpg

This anime.... has very unique art style. Very western influenced, somewhat Disney like character designs. I still remember the pirate's songs as they sail, and Long John Silver. His complex character and eventual betrayal to the main character Jim, really scared and shook me when I was watching it as a boy.

Anyhow, while watching RoV - been reading up about french revolution, and also the characters of the anime, both fictional and also the lives of the real characters. Of course the anime is fictional and obviously skewed towards older interpretation of the history of French Revolution, but nontheless very interesting stuff. Also I've been reading up about main character Oscar, I read that the author based the character Oscar to this Swedish young actor, Bjorn Andresen. He starred in 1971 movie called "Death in Venice", and became especially a popular star in Japan - he even recorded albums in Japan. He became prototype of a lot of Japanese Shojo manga's pretty blonde main characater - including The Legend of Galactic Heroes' Reinhard von Lohengramm.

iMqRvJO.jpg

Interestingly, the pretty/hansome young movie stars also made music albums in Japan regardless of their musical talent - an interesting phenomenon during bubble era - and Terminator 2's Edward Furlong was one of them. Shortly after T2, he became quite popular as a teen idol in Japan... I had a chance to listen to that CD long long time ago, and I regret ever doing so. LOL. I'm not sure if it was ever released in U.S.

Anyhow, this Andresen guy, actually became a musician - so maybe his music is far better than Furlong's... ;)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
A Certain Scientific Railgun -

Could not really stand the lesbian character and how close to the line it is on perviness. Maybe it will get better but 2 episodes made me uncomfortable.

Knights of Sidonia -

Loved Season 1 but 2 isn't really grabbing me.

Tokyo Ghoul - Got bored with it. Felt it is overhyped.
These are retro?

Shit Scrapped Princess is early 00s and I don't even consider that retro.

Happosai Happosai 20 years is considered retro? Am I old?

Last edited by a moderator:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I really try not to drop things if I can and the only retro anime I've dropped in recent years was Detonator Orgun cuz the first episode was really boring as fuck and I wanted Obari to blow me away.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
These are retro?

Shit Scrapped Princess is early 00s and I don't even consider that retro.

Happosai Happosai 20 years is considered retro? Am I old?
Nope. Scrapped Princess probably doesn't even touch on being too retro. I think the sub-topic was misinterpreted or that this shows that retro anime fans also (are currently) watching mostly modern anime. Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, Dragon Ball Super...the oldest is barely 8-years old of those. You made a great point. I read the original post and I mentioned anime I had watched over the past 10-years (85% of what I watch any given year is something from at least 20 + years ago) and I wasn't considering that could be misinterpreted as anime made in the past 10-years. Thanks for pointing this out!

Sorry guys, I just edited this small paragraph. This is probably where the confusion was. Like the lists but you can submit one on retro anime that you've discontinued or dropped, too.

fKO6c0L.jpg

fKO6c0L.jpg

Have at it Space Runaway Space Runaway C Cannibalistic kunonabi kunonabi Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme Werewolf Jones Werewolf Jones @Tschumi

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
In the past 5 years...hmmm...I rarely permanently drop stuff as I always have an urge to finish what I start but I do take long breaks during a show if my interest wanes enough.

Dragonball Super
I got up to where Goku was recruiting fighters for the multiverse tournament and had some quick wacky adventure with android 17. It just became tedious by then and the series having this "nothing actually matters" tone doesn't help. I do plan to finish this at some point but I don't know when.

Sonic Solider Borgman TV
It's not bad or anything but it's soooo generic. You've seen every character and every plot somewhere before and after awhile watching routine episodes gets boring. I'll finish it and the series isn't without merit but it's just blah. Hopefully the OVA series is better.

Transformers Masterforce
I got halfway through and my watch routine was interrupted for a couple weeks and I never really got back to watching it. =P I'll finish it one day though. Wasn't a bad series (Much better than Headmasters and Victory) and the first several episodes felt more like some lost 80s cartoon and not Transformers which was actually kinda neat.

Close call

Sorry about that! The first post I presumptuously wrote the past 5-years thinking that everyone was watching 20+ year old anime in the past 5-years. It was a confusing way to introduce the sub-topic. Edited, below. Nice list, though.

Kuksune

I found a bunch of great oldies on tradera (it's basically swedish ebay)

I got "Paranoia agent", "Now and then, here and there", "Akira" "Ghost in the shell" and "Ninja scroll"

I also got the swedish-dubbed "Fist of The north star" which is amazing!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I found a bunch of great oldies on tradera (it's basically swedish ebay)

I got "Paranoia agent", "Now and then, here and there", "Akira" "Ghost in the shell" and "Ninja scroll"

I also got the swedish-dubbed "Fist of The north star" which is amazing!
Awesome. About eBay, they've now become almost the sole vender of retro anime in the U.S. Nearly all retro titles are long out-of-print. This is leading many to not purchase but to try to watch retro anime freely while videos are uploaded to YouTube.

Which Fist of the North Star (movie, OVA, TV series)? Have you seen these titles previously? If not, you're in for a treat.

Kuksune

Awesome. About eBay, they've now become almost the sole vender of retro anime in the U.S. Nearly all retro titles are long out-of-print. This is leading many to not purchase but to try to watch retro anime freely while videos are uploaded to YouTube.

Which Fist of the North Star (movie, OVA, TV series)? Have you seen these titles previously? If not, you're in for a treat.
It's the first 4 episodes from the series. I have watched the movie only. But the swedish dub is heavily censored and hilariously dubbed.
It was fantastic.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Finished Rose of Versailles. Due to the fact that I know the whole story and it's basically a tragic story thru and thru - so towards the end, I did feel it weighing down on me a bit - but enjoyed it to the end.

It's a director Osamu Dezaki's work - at least from episode 19 to the end - and it shows. (Including sudden change of the several character designs) The whole anime itself has more of serious tone unlike original Manga by Ikeda Riyoko. Some of the action scenes, especially when guys fist fight with each other, whole "Tomorrow's Joe", which was also (mostly) directed by Dezaki - at several times, I was quite surprised and wondered if I was really watching a Shojo anime, not boxing anime! Now I'm rather fired up to watch more of Dezaki's work. Since I watched Ashita no Joe movie versions at least 20 times each on VHS and practically memorized the whole lines back then, (I like rough 1st one better, although 2nd movie is a visual tour-de-force in Dezaki style) - so thinking about watching Ace-wo-nerae (Aim for the Ace), as I just finished watching Gunbuster: Aim for the Top, which by the name itself suggest is a part parody of Aim for the Ace. :) At least the movie version.

Some of his earlier works that I grew up watching - Nobody's Boy: Remi (Sans Famille)...

JSvilh7.jpg

This anime.... has very unique art style. Very western influenced, somewhat Disney like character designs. I still remember the pirate's songs as they sail, and Long John Silver. His complex character and eventual betrayal to the main character Jim, really scared and shook me when I was watching it as a boy.

Anyhow, while watching RoV - been reading up about french revolution, and also the characters of the anime, both fictional and also the lives of the real characters. Of course the anime is fictional and obviously skewed towards older interpretation of the history of French Revolution, but nontheless very interesting stuff. Also I've been reading up about main character Oscar, I read that the author based the character Oscar to this Swedish young actor, Bjorn Andresen. He starred in 1971 movie called "Death in Venice", and became especially a popular star in Japan - he even recorded albums in Japan. He became prototype of a lot of Japanese Shojo manga's pretty blonde main characater - including The Legend of Galactic Heroes' Reinhard von Lohengramm.

iMqRvJO.jpg

Interestingly, the pretty/hansome young movie stars also made music albums in Japan regardless of their musical talent - an interesting phenomenon during bubble era - and Terminator 2's Edward Furlong was one of them. Shortly after T2, he became quite popular as a teen idol in Japan... I had a chance to listen to that CD long long time ago, and I regret ever doing so. LOL. I'm not sure if it was ever released in U.S.

Anyhow, this Andresen guy, actually became a musician - so maybe his music is far better than Furlong's... ;)

These posts are amazing. You, SpaceRunaway, and some others are providing great historical depth to posts. Never knew about which Westerners were models for anime characters.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's the first 4 episodes from the series. I have watched the movie only. But the swedish dub is heavily censored and hilariously dubbed.
It was fantastic.
To be fair...older dubs were hit or miss. SpaceRunaway had some posts a few pages back which talk about the history of censorship in the FotNS movie. Apparently, Italy released the least censored version of the movie (even less censored than the Japanese release). This was VHS days and he posted the uncensored clips.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Scrapped Princess probably doesn't even touch on being too retro.
Released in 2003, so it will be soon enough though. TBF it is based off a LN from 99 though. 20+ year rule is usually what people consider retro yes.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Released in 2003, so it will be soon enough though. TBF it is based off a LN from 99 though. 20+ year rule is usually what people consider retro yes.
Indeed, 2003 is a good benchmark for now. When we all started watching anime, these shows were new and some were still airing. I scares me that some of these anime are nearing 20-years already. I mention Inuyasha a lot in this thread and many are surprised that it's pretty much retro now. The business of anime hasn't changed much, though. I mean, it's still used as a mass-market in Japan for the basis of video games and general advertisement. One thing that I was surprised to see disappear was the home video market craze for anime in Japan (and to Western countries where it was being localized). OVAs were something big and it seems like as soon as DVD came onto the scene...Japanese studios started to back-off and focus only on series and movies for anime. I'm not sure why the marketing declined on OVAs but it was nice to watch something short and to get the long version from the source manga.

I'm sure it's popped up in your Anime Community group the fact that most people will talk about anime that's only 5-7 years old as classic or retro, right now. Pretty soon everything anime will be retro and we'll be the dinosaurs toting it around saying, "Back in the day anime was...etc." We need a good balance of both modern and older. Older is more of a matter of research to inspire modern animators to challenge art and stories. Older anime can also be a lessen to learn from how-not to make a long anime before you run out of a budget and in the West...how anime should not be dubbed / subbed. I agree that dubbing anime has come a long way and some older anime was seemingly treated like trash by English VAs.

Thanks for keeping things in check. I joined GAF for anime first; games second.

kunonabi

I think it really works in the episode's favor personally. Especially with how they do end up using color. I know Kevin Smith cries at the drop of the hat but his reaction to the Gunbuster ending is spot on nonetheless. Considering how well that ending landed I think 6 episodes was enough.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that dubbing anime has come a long way and some older anime was seemingly treated like trash by English VAs.
I disagree. If anything older dubs were better. Not talking only about english dubs either. In the late 90s we had decent dubs across the world. The first anime I watched wasn't even in English but even then it was miles better than MHA's dub (tried to watch it when it came out) or anything recent that I can think of. Thank god for subs and cheap Sentai blu rays.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I disagree. If anything older dubs were better. Not talking only about english dubs either. In the late 90s we had decent dubs across the world. The first anime I watched wasn't even in English but even then it was miles better than MHA's dub (tried to watch it when it came out) or anything recent that I can think of. Thank god for subs and cheap Sentai blu rays.
It depends on the U.S. studio, animation directors (at that time), translation / script, and the VAs (speaking for the English dubs of the 80's and 90's). The 80's didn't fair very well to dubs due to anime becoming a "new thing" and I noticed that companies like Harmony Gold, Streamline, AnimeEigo were pushing hard to make sure the character names, pronunciations, soundtracks, and even cultural references were Americanized. Aside from that...not everyone was trying that hard to push for a great performance. Ocean Group, Sonomat Inc., and Manga Entertainment were some of the few that had studios recording semi-decent English dubs. ADV's dubs seemed to reflect their Texas origins (plenty of English VAs being cast adding Southern colloquialism to the dialogue) and whoever did the dubs for AnimeWorks / Media blasters...hit or miss. My wife likes me to watch Spanish dubs of select anime and they're not bad. However, most of the Spanish (Mexico) dubs are not coming from translated Japanese scripts; they were simply taking English dubbed anime and adapting the translation from English dubs...adding to obvious syntax and other errors in dialogue. Mexico (where I now live) is also not very into subbed anime. Subbed anime is out here but most demand anime be localized. That type of localization can get annoying because they won't even let opening / closing songs pass in Japanese; they dub them to Spanish and most of the singers sound like C-grade karaoke singers. I asked my wife why they don't watch much subbed anime here but for live-action film, most prefer native dialogue with subs. She thinks it's because anime (even with adult content) is marketed in Mexico as a "for kids and teens" thing and they feel kids aren't going to want to read the text or attach to characters that aren't localized.

Curious to hear the dub for MHA now that you put that out there. Dubbing to me is something sorta experimental for the audience. If you choose dub option for a DVD, blu-ray, streaming service...you may be in for a cringe or satisfied. As I get older, I find myself watching more subbed anime. Even anime that I once watched dubbed; I tend to run subbed now.

Sorry about that! The first post I presumptuously wrote the past 5-years thinking that everyone was watching 20+ year old anime in the past 5-years. It was a confusing way to introduce the sub-topic. Edited, below. Nice list, though.
Then just Borgman. :messenger_winking:

I think it really works in the episode's favor personally. Especially with how they do end up using color. I know Kevin Smith cries at the drop of the hat but his reaction to the Gunbuster ending is spot on nonetheless. Considering how well that ending landed I think 6 episodes was enough.

Naturally I would have liked to see the final battle as they intended to animate it but what they did was neat. I do enjoy Anno's ability to get around budget with abstraction.
One thing that I was surprised to see disappear was the home video market craze for anime in Japan (and to Western countries where it was being localized). OVAs were something big and it seems like as soon as DVD came onto the scene...Japanese studios started to back-off and focus only on series and movies for anime. I'm not sure why the marketing declined on OVAs but it was nice to watch something short and to get the long version from the source manga.

The decline of OVAs seems to coincide with their economy declining from the 80s. There wasn't anywhere near as much money being thrown and by the mid-90s producers were reigning in animators who previously were being allowed to do most of the crazy shit they felt like. You watch a lot of those 90s OVAs and many aren't dramatically better than tv animation except they're always shaded and consistently on model. =P There's plenty of other factors too (Oversaturation and qc were such) but that had the biggest initial impact.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Then just Borgman. :messenger_winking:

I've never seen that but my mind keeps reading it as Borgnine (like Ernest Borgnine). Imagine if they based an anime character on him (they probably did).

Naturally I would have liked to see the final battle as they intended to animate it but what they did was neat. I do enjoy Anno's ability to get around budget with abstraction.

I once read or heard that once your remove one tool from an artist, they become more creative. Apparently, that rule goes for budget cuts in animation, too. Imagine if the budget cuts got so bad that they just started running a slideshow of black and white storyboards w/added dialogue.
The decline of OVAs seems to coincide with their economy declining from the 80s. There wasn't anywhere near as much money being thrown and by the mid-90s producers were reigning in animators who previously were being allowed to do most of the crazy shit they felt like. You watch a lot of those 90s OVAs and many aren't dramatically better than tv animation except they're always shaded and consistently on model. =P There's plenty of other factors too (Oversaturation and qc were such) but that had the biggest initial impact.

I read that and then I remember all the 90's OVAs. In the early 90's (like 1990-92) the animation in some wasn't too cheap. However, by the mid-90's...there's a huge difference there. Currently watching the Dragon Half OVA (one episode last night, second / final episode tonight). It's definitely not as polished as the manga but it works. I can see they did recycle a few character scenes but overall...it's not too bad. I like how the constantly alternate between normal character and deformed (chibi) character style in every other scene. Even if you removed the dialogue; the comedy kinda bleeds out through the animation. It's 1993...not the best year for an OVA but only 2-episodes.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It depends on the U.S. studio, animation directors (at that time), translation / script, and the VAs (speaking for the English dubs of the 80's and 90's). The 80's didn't fair very well to dubs due to anime becoming a "new thing" and I noticed that companies like Harmony Gold, Streamline, AnimeEigo were pushing hard to make sure the character names, pronunciations, soundtracks, and even cultural references were Americanized. Aside from that...not everyone was trying that hard to push for a great performance. Ocean Group, Sonomat Inc., and Manga Entertainment were some of the few that had studios recording semi-decent English dubs. ADV's dubs seemed to reflect their Texas origins (plenty of English VAs being cast adding Southern colloquialism to the dialogue) and whoever did the dubs for AnimeWorks / Media blasters...hit or miss.
I mean let's compare old vs new dub with shows that are similar to each other (sorta)

YYK vs any shonen
Excel Saga vs Rezero
Cowboy Bebop vs Psycho Pass
Cromartie High School vs Pop Team Epic

There is just no contest IMO when it comes to older shows having better dubs, not gonna disagree that we didn't have kusoge tier dubs back in the day but considering how popular the medium is these days you'd figure we'd get better casting or direction. Then again to me 99% of the time subs are just superior so I never bother with dubs in the first place unless someone literally shows me something with dubs.

I read that and then I remember all the 90's OVAs. In the early 90's (like 1990-92) the animation in some wasn't too cheap. However, by the mid-90's...there's a huge difference there. Currently watching the Dragon Half OVA (one episode last night, second / final episode tonight). It's definitely not as polished as the manga but it works. I can see they did recycle a few character scenes but overall...it's not too bad. I like how the constantly alternate between normal character and deformed (chibi) character style in every other scene. Even if you removed the dialogue; the comedy kinda bleeds out through the animation. It's 1993...not the best year for an OVA but only 2-episodes.

Yeah it's a gradual downturn though I'm not sure what year would be the official turning point in an overall sense. The standalone releases also reduced in length over time too. Early stuff being movie-ish length before it was an hour, then 50 to 45, then 30...occasionally as short as 20. After awhile you largely just had OVA series or these supplemental releases that are usually for t&a.=P

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I mean let's compare old vs new dub with shows that are similar to each other (sorta)

YYK vs any shonen
Excel Saga vs Rezero
Cowboy Bebop vs Psycho Pass
Cromartie High School vs Pop Team Epic

There is just no contest IMO when it comes to older shows having better dubs, not gonna disagree that we didn't have kusoge tier dubs back in the day but considering how popular the medium is these days you'd figure we'd get better casting or direction. Then again to me 99% of the time subs are just superior so I never bother with dubs in the first place unless someone literally shows me something with dubs.
That may be why I'm watching mostly subbed anime now. Seems like a lot of us are now. Space Runaway reminded me in a previous post how buying dubs on VHS was $10 cheaper than subs. So, most of us got stuck watching or buying dubs in the 90's and didn't get to have the freedom of subs until.DVD prices came down. I think we all know anime is Japanese and it doesn't need further localization. Maybe it never did.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah it's a gradual downturn though I'm not sure what year would be the official turning point in an overall sense. The standalone releases also reduced in length over time too. Early stuff being movie-ish length before it was an hour, then 50 to 45, then 30...occasionally as short as 20. After awhile you largely just had OVA series or these supplemental releases that are usually for t&a.=P
I think because we have a limited number of great OVAs made...it seems repetitious sometimes to talk about them. Some really deserved more attention and I'd like OVAs from the 80's and 90's to be a continual discussion in this thread. The longer OVAs confused me...because they were sold like movies in the U.S.
I remember the word OVA flying around in the 90's and having no clue what it meant. To think how powerful Japan's bubble economy affected home video production which could make or break a new franchise. I always thought OVAs were used as a vehicle to test if an anime was worthy of being invested in. Of course, to make something successful...you have to invest. And they did. Don't think we'll ever see that again.

Last edited:
I think because we have a limited number of great OVAs made...it seems repetitious sometimes to talk about them. Some really deserved more attention and I'd like OVAs from the 80's and 90's to be a continual discussion in this thread. The longer OVAs confused me...because they were sold like movies in the U.S.
I remember the word OVA flying around in the 90's and having no clue what it meant. To think how powerful Japan's bubble economy affected home video production which could make or break a new franchise. I always thought OVAs were used as a vehicle to test if an anime was worthy of being invested in. Of course, to make something successful...you have to invest. And they did. Don't think we'll ever see that again.
Yeah there definitely came a point where every other OVA felt like a pilot for a potential series, be it original or based on a comic from the period. Though one of the cool things was it let directors (And would-be directors) and animators experiment, so you usually can find something of merit in many of those old OVAs.

Plus you still got a ton of one-shot OVAs that wouldn't fit anywhere else. Like Urban Square =P

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah there definitely came a point where every other OVA felt like a pilot for a potential series, be it original or based on a comic from the period. Though one of the cool things was it let directors (And would-be directors) and animators experiment, so you usually can find something of merit in many of those old OVAs.

Plus you still got a ton of one-shot OVAs that wouldn't fit anywhere else. Like Urban Square =P

For many years I thought that was the point of OVAs -- to give incentive and promotion to bigger studios to make a series from said OVA. The success rate (if the latter of what I said was the case), was not so high. I can think of half of the 100 or so OVAs I've seen that actually got a series. Less-than half actually. The creative freedom was definitely much bigger than with series.

I've got Urban Square in my collection but haven't given it a watch yet.

For many years I thought that was the point of OVAs -- to give incentive and promotion to bigger studios to make a series from said OVA. The success rate (if the latter of what I said was the case), was not so high. I can think of half of the 100 or so OVAs I've seen that actually got a series. Less-than half actually. The creative freedom was definitely much bigger than with series.

Yeah it wasn't the point of OVAs so much as a result of them. The boom was just the straight to video market becoming the new frontier for anime and they dabbled in just about everything. 😋

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah it wasn't the point of OVAs so much as a result of them. The boom was just the straight to video market becoming the new frontier for anime and they dabbled in just about everything. 😋
It was made for people like me. I like more dedicated work on anime and I don't like things that drag on for many episodes or seasons. What was with LaserDisc getting all the rare OVA titles in the 80's-early 90's. Roots Search seemed to have only been released on LD. The reason I ask is because the introduction price and even closing prices of Laser Disc players was expensive. I can't imagine that people bought them for anime. Besides, VHS was cheaper to mass market.

Though on the subject of OVA craziness

Tomonori Kogawa, the renowned animation director and character designer for stuff like Xanbungle, took a stab at directing with the OVAs Greed and Cool Cool Bye

Greed (1985)
Greed is...not great. One of those sword and sorcery fantasies where the characters are on a quest and have to overcome a buncha obstacles on the way. Toward the end you get the secret techno location and things start going off-rails at the end when they're fighting some weirdo monster in space. Despite the director at the helm the animation isn't really all that great and some parts feel unfinished, particularly any scene with full environment animation. Disappointing but not unwatchable.

Cool Cool Bye (1986)
I don't know what to say too much about this. It's largely a giant action sequence but the animation in this is quite good and if you've watched enough Dragonball you will recognize most of the voice actors. It's been fansubbed but youtube only has the raw atm:

These weren't successful and other than a couple episodes for some tv shows Tomonori Kogawa never took a stab at directing again. =P

Both of these are stuck in the VHS/LD realm. They've been fansubbed but youtube nuked them both, so if you want to watch them subbed you'll have to download them from the usual.

edit:
It was made for people like me. I like more dedicated work on anime and I don't like things that drag on for many episodes or seasons. What was with LaserDisc getting all the rare OVA titles in the 80's-early 90's. Roots Search seemed to have only been released on LD. The reason I ask is because the introduction price and even closing prices of Laser Disc players was expensive. I can't imagine that people bought them for anime. Besides, VHS was cheaper to mass market.

LaserDisc was a much more successful format in Japan so a lot of anime found it's way there. I don't know too much about the LD market so I don't know if it was still primarily enthusiasts buying them or not.

Also you mentioned Roots Search. I like watching 80s Alien knock-offs and anime had a few of them. I know of Roots Search, Lily Cat, Hell Target, Alien from the Darkness (Awful) and a portion of Gall Force. Are there any other notable ones?

Last edited:

gela94

JSvilh7.jpg

iMqRvJO.jpg

Very interesting, didn't know that about this actor. RoV is pretty much my favorite anime, I was pretty obsessed with it and I clearly remember when we finally got the mangas how disappointed I was because of the more comedic approach.

gela94

So what animes were shown in your countries tv? Here in germany we had quite a few and back then I didn't even know what anime was. Things like:

I wasn't this much into it but still nice music

this on the other hand felt always very mysterical to me, great series.

I only watched a few episodes of this but I liked it

This was one of my highlight as a kid, funny also that even the band music is remade into german.

Great anime series. Lowell :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Now let me confess my first animated love was Jesse Blue :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This Robin Hood anime was very good with awesome soundtrack.

Even the german voice acting back then was pretty good not like in the early 2000s where everything sounded cheap. But I still prefer jap. voices most of the time.

So what animes were shown in your countries tv? Here in germany we had quite a few and back then I didn't even know what anime was. Things like:

In the US we also had "Saber Rider and Ulysses 31. I think Captain Future too.

Some others:

Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada became Robotech

GoShogun and Srungle became Macron 1

Tekkaman Blade as Teknoman

Grimm's Fairy Tales minus the episodes with violence and murder =P

And of course GoLion (And later Dairugger) as Voltron

Oh and a Gatchaman came back each decade under different titles - Battle of the Planets, G-Force and Eagle Riders.

Last edited:

gela94

In the US we also had "Saber Rider and Ulysses 31. I think Captain Future too.

Some others:

Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada became Robotech

GoShogun and Srungle became Macron 1

Tekkaman Blade as Teknoman

Grimm's Fairy Tales minus the episodes with violence and murder =P

And of course GoLion (And later Dairugger) as Voltron

Oh and a Gatchaman came back each decade under different titles - Battle of the Planets, G-Force and Eagle Riders.

I always wanted to get into Macross but so far I only saw 1 movie but it was pretty awesome.
Now I remember we also had the grimms fairy tales, pretty good stuff.

Top Bottom