• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Atari Classics (DS) first look

king zell

http://ds.ign.com/articles/572/572796p1.html

Retro Atari Classics, developed by Taniko (GBA He-Man, Terminator 3), will feature accurate recreations of the original games. Pong, Missile Command, Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede, Tempest, Warlords, Gravitar, Lunar Lander and Sprint will return to the scene in their original 8-bit look and feel on the handheld to please the old-school purists. But Atari has also commissioned some of the top graffiti artists to produce a new look for the games in brand new "Tagged" versions of the classics. Delta, REAS, and Obey Giant (you know, those Andre the Giant "Obey" tags you see all over the place?) have had their hand in providing the imagery for the classic arcade and console games that will appear on the Nintendo DS cartridge.

When the game launches in just a few months, Retro Atari Classics will feature high score save to cartridge as well as wireless support for multiple players via the system's game download function. This wireless multiplayer is expected to kick all sorts of butt for its four player version of Warlords. A few of the games will also feature a hotseat option so that multiple players can take turn on the same system.

retro-atari-classics-20041213031833776.jpg

retro-atari-classics-20041213031837214.jpg

retro-atari-classics-20041213031837526.jpg

more : http://media.ds.ign.com/media/697/697516/imgs_1.html

GDGF

Soothsayer
Damn, that actually looks all kinds of cool, but where is my COMBAT!?! Bastards!

(I'm buying it, though)

Amir0x

Banned
I was about to come in here and write that I'm tired of all these god-damned money milking "retro" compilations...

...but then I saw that it has a new "Tagged" mode for all of the games and I thought whoa, cool instead.

I exploded in laughter when I first clicked on this thread, but you know, Tempest and Missile Command aren't looking too bad! I'm especially interested in trying to play Tempest with the stylus. It could actually beat the d-pad and analog stick that we've been stick with until now.

The top two are Warlords, the middle two are Gravitar (I'm pretty sure), and the bottom two are Centipede. The rest can be seen by following the link.

Matlock

Banned
brandonnn said:
Hey, say what you will, but Missle Command looks pretty slick.

I hope they let you play original graphics as well--missile command just doesn't feel the same without that bleak cold-war era computer look.

explodet

The article says both original graphics and "tagged" graphics will be available.

I had the same reaction as some others here, I looked at the screenshots and thought "what the hell am I looking at?"

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Drat -- only 10 games? I was assuming this was just a DS port of that Atari Anthology package that was just released, with 60 games.

Warlords might turn out very well, though... and Warlords would probably make the package well worth the price. However, for $30 I'd want more than just 10 games... especially 10 of the "early" games.

aku:jiki

retro-atari-classics-20041213031837214.jpg

This is awesome as hell. As is the concept art that I'm guessing was done by the same artist. The rest are "ok, seriously, wtf?" material.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
This is a good trend. Well atleast better than all the half asses retro ports we've been getting.

Damnit I want a tagged up version of Zaxxon.

Flynn

Warlords is one of the simplest and most satisfying four player games created -- I pray they don't skimp on the connectivity.

Bizarre yet, despite my initial reflex to weep for my childhood that I feel so often now, I find this strangely appealing. I wonder how missile command will play, as it covers both screens. If it were in the top only, it would be easy to use thumbstrap to mimic the original trackball. If it were on the bottom only, stylus play would work, although playing it on a PC with a mouse has proven that that kills all challenge in the game. Still, Missile Command with a pad is not good.

etiolate

Banned
Missile Command looks nice, but I don't know about the rest. Jeff Minter, this is calling you! It's not like you're doing anything now.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
brandonnn said:
Hey, say what you will, but Missle Command looks pretty slick.
FUCK. Its things like missle command that make me wish both screens were touch screens. :(

How do you shoot to the top screen anyway?

edit: just read the write up, d-pad only control on missle command kills most of my anticipation for it. =/

GDGF

Soothsayer
etiolate said:
Missile Command looks nice, but I don't know about the rest. Jeff Minter, this is calling you! It's not like you're doing anything now.

I didn't even see that missle command shot at first. Looks very nice. Like a Who Are You advertisement.

And yeah, Minter needs to program for the DS. He might actually get a game out in time :)

RaidenZR

I don't quite grasp this. Some of this stuff looks awful and I feel like the definition of the word 'classic' is being stretched to new lengths.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I just checked... and.. yup

I am still bummed only one ds screen is touch based. missle commadn would have been so hot if you just tapped the screen and it launched :(

Well I guess the cool thing about the DS is that if the touch screen idea really takes hold then maybe we can get a GBA 2 with one big fat hi-res touch screen :D

BuddyC

Sp3eD said:
On missle command, how did they shoot the missles into the upper screen?
By moving the D-Pad up there and pressing fire, most likely. You can see a downward progression in the missles launched, so they started at high left and worked their way down right.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ruud_Luiten said:
If tempest on this collection is close to tempest2000 (jag version) than sale + 1!

Goddamn I have selective reading. I didn't see Tempest mentioned there either. That game alone justifies purchase.

Top Bottom