• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Atari Classics DS - IGN Review

Previous impressions of this game seemed promising. But 5? Damn. Still might be worth it for touch screen Breakout (which I used to play a lot at this one Pizza Hut) :D

Amir0x

Banned
Heh, I like how the "Reader Average" for Retro Atari Classics is a 9.2. That made me smile. At least the droves are out there...

Enigma

Society said:
Sounds like they didn't. IGN just does not like old games. :p

Yeah, that's it. Seriously though, how fucking incompetent do you have to be to screw up Missle Command? The reason I thought this was a homerun the instant it was announced was because it utilized the touchscreen it obvious ways. Example: Top screen = Missle Command. Bottom screen = Virtual trackball (Or at least mouse control). I mean, if you can't figure that shit out, you're in the wrong god damn business.

thomaser

I've tried half of the games on it, and I somewhat agree with the score. But only because I find these games pretty boring anyway, even in their original forms. The most disappointing aspect is the remixed games. Cool in theory, but totally pointless and ugly in execution.

Asteroids is pretty fun to play with the stylus, btw. Faster and easier than with the regular controls.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Stylus control for Tempest and Warlords seems lousy -- which doesn't make much sense. Those games should be GREAT with a properly done control scheme. Grrr...

My biggest complaint is that the game doesn't support single card wireless play... and there is no excuse for that. These games should easily work via a wireless download, and this just feels like Atari/Infogrames is trying to squeeze out a few more dollars by limiting our options.

I was annoyed by the fact that no stores allow you to return opened software anymore, but then I read the Atari/Infogrames EULA in the back of the manual... it seems that if I disagree with it, I have 15 days to return it to the company for a full refund. Heh heh heh heh heh.

Agent X

Jeff Minter (who designed and developed Tempest 2000 and Tempest 3000) weighed in with his thoughts on Retro Atari Classics.

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=34011

Sadly, it's not very encouraging. There are quite a few scathing comments in there, which are probably too controversial (and profane) for me to post here.

Top Bottom