• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

Since I got my capture device I've been trying to record older games and upload them to YouTube, since it bugs me that the vast majority of retro game footage out there looks like about VHS quality.

But while doing this I've realized just how much compression YouTube does. Poor F-Zero GX gets butchered. Backgrounds on PS1 games loose their sharp pixelated texture look.

Though I will say that I've gained a lot of additional respect for what John does with his DF Retro videos. I can't imagine the amount of work it takes to put those together. Feels like it takes forever just putting together my little 5 minute gameplay only videos.
Just upload in 4k at a high bitrate(20000 kbps) and there you go, it's what i do and works perfectly.

Thankfully when I do retro game footage they look a lot better than youtube vids from pre 2014(and even many today).

bodine1231

Welp,the old girl finally kicked the bucket. Was playing some Saturn,went to the bathroom and came back and she's not getting power anymore. I'm legit depressed right now,I thought this day wouldnt come for while but its been a great ride. I've been emulating alot anyways but it was always nice knowing I could play the real thing if I needed to. May check Craigslist for a regular CRT on the cheap to hold me over. I bought this PVM 10 years ago for $50 from an FX studio,wont find a deal like that again.

cn3V00zl.jpg

giphy.gif

Welp,the old girl finally kicked the bucket. Was playing some Saturn,went to the bathroom and came back and she's not getting power anymore. I'm legit depressed right now,I thought this day wouldnt come for while but its been a great ride. I've been emulating alot anyways but it was always nice knowing I could play the real thing if I needed to. May check Craigslist for a regular CRT on the cheap to hold me over. I bought this PVM 10 years ago for $50 from an FX studio,wont find a deal like that again.

cn3V00zl.jpg

giphy.gif

Damn, have you looked into repairs?

cn3V00zl.jpg

giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_n63bmyQkw71qa7k0a.gif

Peagles

cn3V00zl.jpg

giphy.gif

Sorry for your loss :(

This is why I'm shocked that people spend hundreds on PVMs now; they can be gone in the blink of an eye...

I have this gut feeling you can repair that CRT. Hopefully you have someone to repair in your area. Does anyone know if there is anyone around Toronto who does CRT repairs for PVMs?

i've got some experience with F-Zero GX. you need to upscale to very high resolutions and use insane bitrates so that youtube uses their high resolution processing on the video and it comes out looking good.

example of a 4K encode

Thanks for this useful tidbit. I was looking into recording and uploading some footage in the future and this is something useful to know.

Peltz

cn3V00zl.jpg

giphy.gif

Noooooo... I got legit sad reading this.

bodine1231

I have this gut feeling you can repair that CRT. Hopefully you have someone to repair in your area. Does anyone know if there is anyone around Toronto who does CRT repairs for PVMs?

Thanks for this useful tidbit. I was looking into recording and uploading some footage in the future and this is something useful to know.

I'll pop it open sometime later and check for a blown fuse or cap. I've been dealing with two bad monitors on my Blast Citys so I'm kinda sick of messing with them right now.

Good news is that I found a nice 32" Sony KV-32FS for $40 so that should be good enough.

I'll pop it open sometime later and check for a blown fuse or cap. I've been dealing with two bad monitors on my Blast Citys so I'm kinda sick of messing with them right now.

Good news is that I found a nice 32" Sony KV-32FS for $40 so that should be good enough.

You have 2 blast citys? I'm real jealous!

If its a fs100 or 120 itll be a far cry from your PVM but it'll do the job

Massive pics incoming. Here are the various scanline settings on the HiDef NES.

None:
NES (That's what it's called, I don't know what it means):
2x:
3x:
4x:
5x:

These are all running in 1080p.

I like 5x the most, I think. They aren't as pronounced at a normal viewing distance, as I don't usually sit three feet from my 65" TV. Can barely see them in 2x mode at normal sitting distance.

Also, I discovered that it seems to save all your options on a per resolution basis. I switched to 720p mode, and the shitty scaling turned back on. Switching back to 1080p, it was still off. So, yeah, must save your settings per resolution. Still don't know why that garbage would be on by default.

NES (That's what it's called, I don't know what it means)
From the looks of it, it means one artificial scanline per hblank of the NES PPU. That is to say, one scanline per row of pixels of the ~256x240 screen. The other options are just drawing scanlines wherever - it looks more uniform on your TV, but they share no relationship with the placement of pixels on the PPU buffer.

Vespa

Looks like you've got alternating scanline widths (Thick, thin, thick) in 'NES' mode. Isn't that what the Framemeister does when it's outputting 1080p and scanlines also?

2x:

3x:

4x:

5x:

Every one of those other than 2x is 'splitting the raster' and doesn't look like what a real 240p/224p image looks like on a CRT. They are just overlays of black lines that have no relation to the original pixel geometry.

The 2x simply looks like what a 240p-480p upscale looks like, where you get two rasters per original raster.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
This is probably a dumb question about Dreamcast VGA but I'm going to ask.

I have a Panasonic Viera TV. It's pretty nice for retro consoles as it has a lot of the inputs like RGB etc.

It has a VGA port. Is there any benefit to me using VGA via an upscaler rather than directly into the TV?

My setup would be Dreamcast > Toro > VGA cable > TV (I need to get RGB to complete the loop!). I do have a Framemeister too

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I could by mistaken, but doesn't the Framemeister use the wrong resolution for Dreamcast games? Like, I remember hearing that one of the advantages of using the OSSC for Dreamcast games is that you can set the output to DTV rather than PC resolution, which wasn't an option on the Framemeister.

Danny Dudekisser

Hey, so... what kind of SD card do I need for updating the OSSC firmware? I'm still on version .71, so I could probably stand to get that updated.

Also, did the compatibility for line3x and above get better in later firmware revisions? I could only get line2x to work on my TV, while line3x worked on my g-sync monitor... but I want to play on my TV, and getting some of the fancier options on there would be nice.

I think the older sub 2gb cards are what's needed, but I'm fairly sure I got a higher capacity card to work by formatting it a specific way. It's been a while, unfortunately, so I'm not much help for the specifics.

Danny Dudekisser

Getting a low capacity card is fine by me. I just need to know what the actual SD cards I need look like. I know like... nothing about this stuff.

I think you want one that's sub 2GB and isn't SDHC or SDXC. Apparently compatibility can be a bit spotty but that's the sort of card you want according to the wiki. There might be a thread on it on the vgp forums.

zmet

Also, did the compatibility for line3x and above get better in later firmware revisions? I could only get line2x to work on my TV, while line3x worked on my g-sync monitor... but I want to play on my TV, and getting some of the fancier options on there would be nice.
For me it did. On the previous firmware I could only get 3x and 4x to work. With this new one, 5x works just fine on my main retro gaming television (Samsung UN55ES7500). I haven't tried it on my 4k set yet though.

Narroo

Speaking of HD/SD Woes....

Does anyone know if there's a proper solution to electronic noise on the PS3's Audio output when using Component? I like to hook my PS3 up to a CRT when playing PSN Classics, since the PS3 doesn't properly upscale anyways, but the reflection noise on the stereo lines forces you to have to ground them, meaning you can't use them for standard audio. (That, and some of the reflection still remains.)

televator

Does anyone know if there's a proper solution to electronic noise on the PS3's Audio output when using Component? I like to hook my PS3 up to a CRT when playing PSN Classics, since the PS3 doesn't properly upscale anyways, but the reflection noise on the stereo lines forces you to have to ground them, meaning you can't use them for standard audio. (That, and some of the reflection still remains.)

What model is it?

Peltz

Use optical?

bodine1231

Well this lifted me up a little,after going through a 24 hour depression when my PVM died I got a nice little gift in the mail,my repaired chassis on my Blast City! (only took 2 months to get fixed). The geometry is bad in the corners (blurry too) and there's also pretty bad burn in from Sega Bass Fishing but once the game is playing (especially darker ones) you don't really see it that much.

oM0uf5Pl.jpg

Well this lifted me up a little,after going through a 24 hour depression when my PVM died I got a nice little gift in the mail,my repaired chassis on my Blast City! (only took 2 months to get fixed). The geometry is bad in the corners (blurry too) and there's also pretty bad burn in from Sega Bass Fishing but once the game is playing (especially darker ones) you don't really see it that much.

oM0uf5Pl.jpg

That's awesome! I definitely have ambitions of owning a candy cab once I have a place big enough for one.

bobble

cross posting from the Neo Geo thread - Looking to get an AES with graphical glitches repaired - anyone have recommendations for a shop to get a quote from?

Anyone have a favorite repair spot?

Peltz

cross posting from the Neo Geo thread - Looking to get an AES with graphical glitches repaired - anyone have recommendations for a shop to get a quote from?

Anyone have a favorite repair spot?

Maybe Jamma Nation X? I don't know if they do repairs but I assume they do. I'd certainly trust them with my hardware.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
I can't tell if I'm being dumb with Dreamcast VGA or whether it's my equipment.

I'm running Marvel vs Capcom 2 via VGA to my TV, and when I choose the 60hz option (I'm in the UK so it's PAL) - the screen turns blank and I only get sound.

If I select 50hz it works fine and I get a picture.

I know my TV accepts a 60hz signal as the majority of my collection is NTSC. Also I have played other Dreamcast games in 60hz mode via VGA and they work absolutely fine.

It's really puzzling.

Peagles

I can't tell if I'm being dumb with Dreamcast VGA or whether it's my equipment.

I'm running Marvel vs Capcom 2 via VGA to my TV, and when I choose the 60hz option (I'm in the UK so it's PAL) - the screen turns blank and I only get sound.

If I select 50hz it works fine and I get a picture.

I know my TV accepts a 60hz signal as the majority of my collection is NTSC. Also I have played other Dreamcast games in 60hz mode via VGA and they work absolutely fine.

It's really puzzling.

I think that's an issue with PAL MvC2 itself, rather than you or your equipment, but someone more knowledgeable could probably chime in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom