• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

Here are couple other unofiicial Everdrive mapper updates that you may not know about which should interest you while you're at it:

A proper sound mix for the Konami VRC6 games including Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3 JPN)

A better sounding mapper for the Sunsoft 5B games including Gimmick!

thanks again man - do i just toss those respective files in the same folders you mentioned last post?

Try beating the final boss in Jackal on a Framemeister after playing on a CRT for the first few tries. Only then will you understand how crippling the Framemeister's lag can be on certain games.

yeahhhh i love my FM but i'm starting to play more stuff like that on my CRT these days

thanks again man - do i just toss those respective files in the same folders you mentioned last post?

yeahhhh i love my FM but i'm starting to play more stuff like that on my CRT these days

Man I'm the opposite. Have a PVM20L5 but since the latest OSSC update rarely touch my pvm :/ just looks so damn good now.

ACESmkII

Kind of bummed out right now. I just received a RGB modded PC Engine Duo R and I am only getting sound out of the right channel. Never had this issue with my Saturn or MD2 hooked up to the framemeister via RGB. I am guessing that it is the RGB cable that I received with it because when I use the standard composite cable I get stereo. Anyone else have any idea what might be the culprit?

Kind of bummed out right now. I just received a RGB modded PC Engine Duo R and I am only getting sound out of the right channel. Never had this issue with my Saturn or MD2 hooked up to the framemeister via RGB. I am guessing that it is the RGB cable that I received with it because when I use the standard composite cable I get stereo. Anyone else have any idea what might be the culprit?
Did you buy it from DoujinDance?

Brhoom

Banned
Yep, Doujindance was the seller. Did I make a mistake?

66079dcbb4329351af7aa25ca6adac1c.gif

Probably a cable problem.

this is you

200_s.gif

https://youtu.be/Q4YDXTr55-U

Send it back for a refund if you can.

It seems like his or her newer work has improved quite a bit.

BTails

Got Lagrange Point English Translation working with the new mapper: man, it sounds awesome! Can't wait to dig into this one. Thanks for the heads up, I haven't been to the Krikzz forums in a LONG time.

So my Saturn RGB cable just arrived, and I'm not getting any picture through my Framemeister (via a Euro SCART adapter). What could be the problem aside from the cable being bad? Everything worked with composite last night.

IrishNinja

speaking of cables: mine are really sensitive these days (SCART RGB), like i need to fiddle with them in their current placement to get audio from both speakers/etc. is there a common way to clean these things & the one coming from my XRGB?

I hope My Life in Gaming do another episode on the OSSC. So much stuff added and would love to see them cover them.

agreed, i'd also like to see GameSack cover it as well

Yep, Doujindance was the seller. Did I make a mistake?

years ago when i bought mine, i was told i was one of the only ones with a problem - had to have both baphomet & keith courage (PCFX legend) work on it to get discs playing right. it still has issues with dropping audio sometimes...it's a temperamental system, but i'm told the quality of doujin's work may have gone down in recent years.

I just mistakenly left my Framemeister on for ~24 hours. Is that bad?

ive done this before too, it didn't seem to be any hotter than usual. i think as long as you don't make a habit of it, you should be fine

Got Lagrange Point English Translation working with the new mapper: man, it sounds awesome! Can't wait to dig into this one. Thanks for the heads up, I haven't been to the Krikzz forums in a LONG time.

awesome man, and yeah i don't really mess with krikzz''s forums much either so it was a great heads-up

TeaJay

Agreed. If it's a PVM it should be somewhat fixable with the service menu. I was able to get mine into decent shape with it.

Oh, believe me, I've been sitting in front pf my PVM enough pushing various buttons and dabbling with settings to know it can be done, but the image border on both sides just stays wavy on some points no matter what. For some games it's more prominent than others, and I'm not gonna start doing adjustments on whenever I change a game.

I'm usually a bit OCD in real life but bad geometry doesn't bother me all that much since the image is otherwise so good. You gotta take what you can.

Ashby

This is my dream retro console. Did you buy it and send it to Doujin to get it modded or does he sell them outright? Also how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking.

This is my dream retro console. Did you buy it and send it to Doujin to get it modded or does he sell them outright? Also how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking.

Doujin pre-mods them and sells them. Honestly though your better option is to just buy a Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX stock and if you're in the US send it to some one like Voultar or Keith Courage and have them mod it. You'll end up with a much better mod. It might even cost you less, Doujin, last I saw was charging a pretty high mark up on his pre-modded systems.

Ashby

Doujin pre-mods them and sells them. Honestly though your better option is to just buy a Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX stock and if you're in the US send it to some one like Voultar or Keith Courage and have them mod it. You'll end up with a much better mod. It might even cost you less, Doujin, last I saw was charging a pretty high mark up on his pre-modded systems.

Noted. Thanks!

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Hi all, I have a problem with my PVM 2950: the speakers (SS-X6A) give off a constant buzzing sound, even when no consoles are attached: just the speakers.

What could cause this and is it fixable?

KC-Slater

So my Saturn RGB cable just arrived, and I'm not getting any picture through my Framemeister (via a Euro SCART adapter). What could be the problem aside from the cable being bad? Everything worked with composite last night.

Did you order the correct RGB cable for your model of Saturn? ( I think there may be different labels for model 1 and model 2 releases...)

Perhaps a problem with your 9-pin to Euro SCART adapter?

ACESmkII

I got it pre modded for 299.00 plus 65.00 for EMS shipping.

I'm not sure what you'd be looking at price wise if you bought a used Duo R or Rx and having someone else do the RGB mod.

Did you order the correct RGB cable for your model of Saturn? ( I think there may be different labels for model 1 and model 2 releases...)

Perhaps a problem with your 9-pin to Euro SCART adapter?

Interesting--I didn't realize that even mattered! I have a white, made in Japan Saturn, if that tells you anything.

edit: this is what I'm using, and it purports to work for everything

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Interesting--I didn't realize that even mattered! I have a white, made in Japan Saturn, if that tells you anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

You may need a special SCART cable wired for luma sync. I have a white model 2 Japanese Saturn, and though I don't go through a Framemeister, it jacks up the picture on my PVMs if I don't use the right cable.

What's the box on that cable? That seems really weird because if I remember right RGB cables for Saturn are different between NTSC and PAL, and this is claiming to be PAL and NTSC in one cable. It seems iffy to me.

empo

What's the box on that cable? That seems really weird because if I remember right RGB cables for Saturn are different between NTSC and PAL, and this is claiming to be PAL and NTSC in one cable. It seems iffy to me.

I have the same cable and just looked inside the scart connector and there's just wires there so I'm guessing the box has all the components? Can't get into the box without fear of breaking something.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
MåndagSöndag;242087997 said:
This forum should really have a separate category for retro related subject.

There are more than enough threads.
Just subscribe to the retro threads you want to follow and they're always just a click away at the top of any page. You can also auto-subscribe to any thread you post in if you like. Just set it to no notifications. My subscription page is my GAF bookmark.

It's also nice to follow @NeoGAFNT2 on twitter to see all new threads as they're created.

KC-Slater

Hmm...I recall having to specify my Saturn model and region, and whether I was after a Euro SCART or JP21 cable. I'm wondering if the seller PROVIDES all of the afore mentioned Saturn cables, but didn't really communicate this properly on his eBay page? (Like the user is to specify what spec they need in the "notes" or something upon purchase?)

Do you have any soldering experience? If so, you can pretty easily fix your cable. I recently did this with a Framemeister Euro SCART adapter cable that I ordered to use with my Arcade Supergun. (basically I needed to use the cable in the reverse direction it was intended for.)

This is just my speculation, but where things may vary is on the end of the cable that plugs into your Saturn, depending on the region (and maybe model?) of your Saturn. The "SCART"-end may be wired differently whether it is JP21 or actually Euro SCART.

IrishNinja

somebody needs to do a buy-in for a cool birthday gift for Keith one day, i'd throw in. he's a great dude that i imagine is perpetually backlogged.

MåndagSöndag;242087997 said:
This forum should really have a separate category for retro related subject.

There are more than enough threads.

i like the idea but then we'd be even more separated than we already are...i try not to narc on NES thread staying in gaming though, haha

Just subscribe to the retro threads you want to follow and they're always just a click away at the top of any page. You can also auto-subscribe to any thread you post in if you like. Just set it to no notifications. My subscription page is my GAF bookmark.

It's also nice to follow @NeoGAFNT2 on twitter to see all new threads as they're created.

I do the same. Bookmark subs to look there first and click the logo for all the latest forum-wide posts.

OSSC+ snes question for you guys. I just hooked my OSSC up to my ks8000 for the first time and I'm getting very noticable screen tearing.

I do not get this on my dvdo edge+ sharp aquois combo downstairs . I'm using 5x mode and I've tried playing around with the LPF settings but that hasnt made a difference. Does anyone have any ideas? All of my other retro consoles are packed away so I can't test anything else.

OSSC+ snes question for you guys. I just hooked my OSSC up to my ks8000 for the first time and I'm getting very noticable screen tearing.

I do not get this on my dvdo edge+ sharp aquois combo downstairs . I'm using 5x mode and I've tried playing around with the LPF settings but that hasnt made a difference. Does anyone have any ideas? All of my other retro consoles are packed away so I can't test anything else.
This is probably related to the strange refresh rate of the SNES and is related to how your display handles it, rather than an issue with the OSSC.

Out of curiosity, try line4x or even 3x, if that doesn't make a difference, then it's likely the SNES refresh rate

What resolution are you outputting line5x as? I use 1600x1200 which seems to not have any issues. I've tested the SNES pretty extensively and I have the same setup. Also, what firmware?

Thanks for the input guys. Im doing 1920x1080 for the line 5x output. Line3x seems to work without issue but it doesnt fill the screen like 5x does. Ill try other 5x resolutions and report back.

edit: So it's definetly a sync related issue. Several games constantly drop sync completely on line5x but line3x solves everything. Any other resolution on 5x fucks with the aspect ratio so thats a no go. It's really not a big deal because when I move I'll have my dvdo edge hooked up to this TV. I was just playing around after hearing the update helped with compatibility on the ks8000

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Big news for Everdrive N8 owners: There is now a VRC7 mapper that supports the expansion audio! You can now play Lagrange Point!

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3374.msg51018#msg51018

Here are couple other unofiicial Everdrive mapper updates that you may not know about which should interest you while you're at it:

A proper sound mix for the Konami VRC6 games including Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3 JPN)

A better sounding mapper for the Sunsoft 5B games including Gimmick!
I love these.

I wish some superfan would actually figure out how to get Super FX and SA-1 games working on SD2SNES.

televator

somebody needs to do a buy-in for a cool birthday gift for Keith one day, i'd throw in. he's a great dude that i imagine is perpetually backlogged.

i like the idea but then we'd be even more separated than we already are...i try not to narc on NES thread staying in gaming though, haha

That's how we get 'em. The normies stumble into a retro thread in gaming and next thing you know they're one of us. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom