• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an opportunity to pick up a Sony Trinitron Wega 37" tv for around $50.

I kind of want a smaller CRT as I imagine this will take up a lot of room, plus I've heard smaller CRTs are better for retro gaming.

I am tempted to pass on it, but don't want to make a fatal error if this is something I really should buy. Thoughts?

Maxpacker

Have an opportunity to pick up a Sony Trinitron Wega 37" tv for around $50.

I kind of want a smaller CRT as I imagine this will take up a lot of room, plus I've heard smaller CRTs are better for retro gaming.

I am tempted to pass on it, but don't want to make a fatal error if this is something I really should buy. Thoughts?

That will be so big and heavy I wouldnt mess with it. You would need 4 people to lift the damn thing. I would hold out for smaller more managable crt.

Just my 2 cents.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
When I picked up my 20" I was surprised at how heavy and unwieldy it was. I wouldn't even want to think of what carrying a 36" would feel like.

I would pass up on that 37" and continue waiting for something more manageable. 27" ones pop up all the time. It took a few weeks for me to find a suitable 20".

Not a 36 incher, though. You do NOT want to attempt to carry that alone unless you're the size of an NFL linebacker.

They do get quite heavy. My 32fv310 is 171lbs according to the manual. I belive the 36ers are topping 200!

Not to be "that guy" but a 32" is quite manageable weight wise it's the size and trying to fit it through doorways and stairwells is what makes it a pain to carry. I feel people over exaggerate about the weight.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They do get quite heavy. My 32fv310 is 171lbs according to the manual. I belive the 36ers are topping 200!

Not to be "that guy" but a 32" is quite manageable weight wise it's the size and trying to fit it through doorways and stairwells is what makes it a pain to carry. I feel people over exaggerate about the weight.
I remember when I was 16/17 my grandmother bought a 32" Trinitron and the delivery guy left it in the backyard near the sliding door. I cut open the box and grabbed some straps and carried it in the house by myself before it started raining. I just had to wait until my brother got home to put it on the matching stand because I'd have to pick it up without the straps to get it on there and it was too awkward to do so. It's not like I've ever been a very strong guy, you just need to know how to pick shit up.

I remember when I was 16/17 my grandmother bought a 32" Trinitron and the delivery guy left it in the backyard near the sliding door. I cut open the box and grabbed some straps and carried it in the house by myself before it started raining. I just had to wait until my brother got home to put it on the matching stand because I'd have to pick it up without the straps to get it on there and it was too awkward to do so. It's not like I've ever been a very strong guy, you just need to know how to pick shit up.

Haha that's great. The guy I bought my 32fv310 from was absolutely dreading having to help carry it. He was beyond relieved when I carried it out myself while his wife chastised him for being out of shape lol.

I'm 6'4 with long gangly arms that can wrap around a tv. I feel like moving Trinitrons is what I was built for

Galdelico

Haha that's great. The guy I bought my 32fv310 from was absolutely dreading having to help carry it. He was beyond relieved when I carried it out myself while his wife chastised him for being out of shape lol.

I'm 6'4 with long gangly arms that can wrap around a tv. I feel like moving Trinitrons is what I was built for

You must have the back muscles of a muay thai warrior, though. :)

LOL I wish. I've been weightlifting for around 8 years with about half of those dedicated to powerlifting so I've certainly come a long way.

When I started I could only deadlift 50lbs which is approximately a 13"pvm to stay on topic lol

Kawika

LOL I wish. I've been weightlifting for around 8 years with about half of those dedicated to powerlifting so I've certainly come a long way.

When I started I could only deadlift 50lbs which is approximately a 13"pvm to stay on topic lol

I made the thousand pound club (Lift 1,000 lbs Bench, Squat and Dead Lift) before I started my freshman year in high school. At the time I was 5'10 170 lbs. CRTs are hard to lift because they are heavy but mostly because they to grip. If you don't have lanky limbs it becomes really hard to safely lift odd shaped objects.

I am going to make assumptions about your age because it sounds like you are relatively injury free but lifting shit like this is a quick way to slip a disc and end your weight training permanently. I am 40 now and I broke my back and neck, was stabbed above my knee, fractured my other knee, dislocated my right shoulder, many broken fingers and also cracked my sternum. I have such long lasting effects from those injuries I am very careful of how and what I lift outside the gym setting. That said, I don't even like moving my 20 inch BVM because of the way I have to bend over to put it where its supposed to go.

I made the thousand pound club (Lift 1,000 lbs Bench, Squat and Dead Lift) before I started my freshman year in high school. At the time I was 5'10 170 lbs. CRTs are hard to lift because they are heavy but mostly because they to grip. If you don't have lanky limbs it becomes really hard to safely lift odd shaped objects.

I am going to make assumptions about your age because it sounds like you are relatively injury free but lifting shit like this is a quick way to slip a disc and end your weight training permanently. I am 40 now and I broke my back and neck, was stabbed above my knee, fractured my other knee, dislocated my right shoulder, many broken fingers and also cracked my sternum. I have such long lasting effects from those injuries I am very careful of how and what I lift outside the gym setting. That said, I don't even like moving my 20 inch BVM because of the way I have to bend over to put it where its supposed to go.

Holy shit! You pegged me right, I'm 30 without any major injuries. I would take precautions if I was in your shoes. Those aren't just your average injuries someone sustains just by getting older though!

I'm an elevator mechanic by trade so lifting heavy off shaped things is just apart of daily life. Tv's are child's play compared to what I have to do at work. I do it as safely as I can and the entire reason I started working out was to prevent injuries at work.

Congrats on your lifting achievements. Hitting the 1000lb club at any age is something to be proud of. When I was in highschool I was 170lbs but I was 6'4 lol. I doubt I could even break into the 100 club back then!

KC-Slater

The issue with lifting/moving big CRTs is that the weight is so dense, and there isn't a lot of surface area to properly have more than one person lift them, especially when navigating entry ways, etc.

Couple that with the surface area that is most vulnerable to damage being disproportionately more heavy, and you have the makings of an awful moving experience.

I can barely do a pushup. I think I'm limited to 20something inch.

wow, you've seen some shit

If you can barely do a pushup you need to make some positive changes in your life! I mean this in the nicest most positive way possible I'm not trying to make a jab or an insult!

I found a picture of Kawika:
60613a464c294a18be22d49351121a6e_5f656b36e5c222591b25e36a55f475e4_2_social_large.jpeg

Galdelico

I am 40 now and I broke my back and neck, was stabbed above my knee, fractured my other knee, dislocated my right shoulder, many broken fingers and also cracked my sternum. I have such long lasting effects from those injuries I am very careful of how and what I lift outside the gym setting. That said, I don't even like moving my 20 inch BVM because of the way I have to bend over to put it where its supposed to go.
Recent picture of Kawika hunting down some CRTs...

I can't imagine the pain, man... Hope you're good, in spite of all that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I had the pleasure of selling TVs in 2005, before they all went flat panel. What a joy it was to bring CRTs out to people's cars every day. I got in great shape.

Fuzzy

The issue with lifting/moving big CRTs is that the weight is so dense, and there isn't a lot of surface area to properly have more than one person lift them, especially when navigating entry ways, etc.

Couple that with the surface area that is most vulnerable to damage being disproportionately more heavy, and you have the makings of an awful moving experience.
It's all about having the proper equipment to move them. Like I said, I used straps to wrap around the TV to make it easier to grab.

When my parents got a 50" RPTV back in the day the 2 delivery guys took it out of the box in the driveway then rolled it onto a mat that had straps attached to the corners and walked it straight into the house without a problem at all. That same summer my uncle got a 65" RPTV from the same retailer but the guys didn't have that mat and so it was super awkward to pick up and so my uncle and I helped the 2 guys carry it in his house by each grabbing a corner. When I told the guys what the other guys used they just said "wow, that sounds awesome and I wish we had one of those".

Fuzzy

My friends and I used to use one of those as our second monitor when playing GoldenEye and Perfect Dark on the N64 in 2-player split screen. We used to split the composite video and send it to his TV and that monitor then cover half the screen with cardboard on both so we couldn't see each other. We would play 4-player TV-only because we didn't have enough monitors and the 1/4 screen for each of us would be too small compared to the 1/4 screen on his bigger TV.

Kawika

If you can barely do a pushup you need to make some positive changes in your life! I mean this in the nicest most positive way possible I'm not trying to make a jab or an insult!

I found a picture of Kawika:
60613a464c294a18be22d49351121a6e_5f656b36e5c222591b25e36a55f475e4_2_social_large.jpeg

LOL you aren't far off. Thats totally me in 10 years.

Recent picture of Kawika hunting down some CRTs...

I can't imagine the pain, man... Hope you're good, in spite of all that.

Holy shit, I wish!.

DROP IT! NOT THE CRT!

Yes Boss!

All about grip an know-how. I move my 32" all the time. Even casually when in the mood for an change...and never been to the gym in all my 42 years. I do credit my lifting ability to working at UPS twenty years ago while in college.

All about grip an know-how. I move my 32" all the time. Even casually when in the mood for an change...and never been to the gym in all my 42 years. I do credit my lifting ability to working at UPS twenty years ago while in college.

I mean I'm sure you don't get any physical exercise in the military

Fuzzy

Email from HD Retrovision for those interest.
And part 2 with pricing and dates.

Hey again,

This is a follow up to Part 1, so if you haven't read that yet, you need to head over to our Google Group and check that out first. Most importantly, if you're interested in buying cables/adapters, you need to perform the 240p test on each console & TV you plan to use. You should also take the time to go through our limited return / warranty and shipping policies, which does not include problems related to display device and equipment incompatibility.

OK, now that you are properly prepared after reviewing all that information, we can get onto the more specific details regarding the new product stock. We will be updating stock for our HD Retrovision Shop on Saturday June 24, 2017 at 6:59pm CDT / 11:59pm UTC. This update will include stock for the SNES YPbPr cables, Genesis YPbPr cables, Saturn adapters, and Neo Geo adapters. In addition to this initial release, we will be replenishing stock for both the SNES and Genesis YPbPr cables in subsequent waves, since we do not want to overburden our distributor with more than they can push out within one week. These additional waves of updated stock will occur on the two consecutive Saturdays following the initial wave. To summarize, the restock wave structure is as follows:

Wave 1: June 24, 2017 at 6:59pm CDT / 11:59pm UTC
Wave 2: July 1, 2017 at 6:59pm CDT / 11:59pm UTC
Wave 3: July 8, 2017 at 6:59pm CDT / 11:59pm UTC

For the first wave, we will be enforcing a maximum quantity limit of two per each item listed on the shop, and then consider loosening up the policy for the subsequent waves as we deem necessary. As we have previously discussed, our costs have gone up for reasons such as the improved circuitry, packaging/labeling, and freight/duties, so we had to restructure the pricing of items in our store. YPbPr cables will be priced at $53 each, the Genesis Model2-to-Model1 adapter at $8, and the Saturn & Neo Geo adapters at $14. We will also no longer be offering any package deals consisting of bundling together a YPbPr cable and an adapter.

This is extremely important, so please pay attention. As a customer of the HD Retrovision Shop, you are responsible for taking the proper measures to ensure your order (shipping/billing info, item quantities, etc.) is correct before submitting. We will try our best to help with corrections, but we have limited resources so it is not something that can be guaranteed. We are not permitted to modify items/quantities once an order is placed. Ultimately, any errors made during the checkout process are your own responsibility. Therefore, please browse the store ahead of time and plan out your purchases in advance to avoid any such issues.

Thank you for reading and sticking with us through all this time. We wish you all the best.

-Ste & Nick

Kawika

I have scart cables for all my consoles but I'm really curious about these cables. HD Retrovision said the PQ would be similar to scart but I'm curious how true that is. I know on my BVM I like being able to adjust the chroma on component inputs (something that can't be done with RGB). I'm also curious if the component cable would clean up the sync issues SNES has with OSSC and some TVs. Do these work with N64 and NES RGB modded consoles?

I have scart cables for all my consoles but I'm really curious about these cables. HD Retrovision said the PQ would be similar to scart but I'm curious how true that is. I know on my BVM I like being able to adjust the chroma on component inputs (something that can't be done with RGB). I'm also curious if the component cable would clean up the sync issues SNES has with OSSC and some TVs. Do these work with N64 and NES RGB modded consoles?

HD Retrovision's website confirmed the SNES Component Cable works with the N64 and their FAQ looks like RGB Modded NES' will work, so as long as it has the same port

Edit: So is RetroUSB's AVS still the most affordable way to play NES cartridges in HD?

The grip is where I struggle most. It's not pleasant to lift my 32" Trinitron but it's doable - what kills me is the pressure/friction on my fingers. Fortunately, after taking it down two flights of stairs, getting it into a taxi, carrying it up four flights of stairs and getting it home (got it off Gumtree a while back) I don't think I'm ever going to move it again! Felt like my hands were going to fall off :(.

What's the downside of a CRT capable of 480p? I have a PVM-14L4 (480i), but I originally wanted an L5 model so that I could play certain PS2 games in 480p.

Apologies if this has been answered a dozen times before.

This only applies to consumer level TV's. Generally, consumer TV's that support 480p are "HD CRTs" that upscale everything to 1080i, add all kinds of digital filters to the image and are prone to failure. On top of all this they also add input delay! A CRT with input delay!!

Professional monitors that support 480p are fantastic!

Kawika

Yeah actually I have. Neck and Back both football injuries that I didn't know I had until I was half way through the season. Totally was wondering why I was hurting so bad. Stabbing was a pipe that was jammed into my leg (That was fun). Dislocated shoulder was a surfing accident at a place called The Wedge. The water breaks in about 2-4 feet and depending on the height you can really screw yourself up. Knee was from a skateboarding accident. Fingers were mainly from sports and martial arts. Sternum was a head on collision.

^ Those were just my broken bones or major surgery. I probably have about 20-30+ stiches all over from minor injuries. To be honest, I don't hurt that bad (I suppose that is relative). I get a lot of pinched nerves in my back if I am not careful. That was mainly the point is that I am easily injured now. I got into gaming primarily as a result of being injured so often.

This is great news for my RGB modded N64.

So the main benefit of using a component cable with a BVM/PVM is that you can adjust the chroma dial if you want a more (or less) saturated look? Will it looks better/worse than RGB Scart?

Fuzzy

CRTs should have been made with removable wheels on the bottom as standard.
I'm just glad they stopped being giant consoles for a relatively small screen size. I remember my dad's old 24" (?) console Zenith and THAT thing was a beast to move when he got rid of it. It was actually the stand for his 35" Trinitron when he first got that. :lol

MattyH

I'm just glad they stopped being giant consoles for a relatively small screen size. I remember my dad's old 24" (?) console Zenith and THAT thing was a beast to move when he got rid of it. It was actually the stand for his 35" Trinitron when he first got that. :lol

I had trouble lifting a 28" Trinitron earlier luckily it didn't have to go up any stairs but damn this heatwave Britain is having atm

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, the gscartsw lite is just about done with manufacturing and should be shipping out soon. That'll be cool. I've got both the gscartsw lite and the gcompsw headed my way. It's going to be really weird having multiple systems hooked up at once, like in the good 'ol days.

My NES was getting picky about playing carts so I bought the Blinking Light Win, works great! I had a bit of a scare installing it to my RGB modded NES. When I was taking the RF shield off I contacted the area by the composite out/power input with the shield and the damn thing sparked. I was nervous that I fried something but it works fine.

Peltz

My family had a Zenith too. Shit was immense. I have no idea how big the screen was though. Everything looks big when you're a toddler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom