• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Excel is the shit. You can look like you're doing work, but actually be cataloging your sick Saturn collection.

Lol, this actually sounds like a good reason for using excel.

Yeah, Ive been checking this out lately, and it looks pretty good. I like that the library is done by regions. Alot of people elsewhere are recommending the software Collectorz though, anybody have any experience with that?

i'm leaning towards this

i guess rgb mod it is

Welcome to the club!

Glitchwave is supposed to launch this year. It's from the makers of rateyourmusic.com which I quite like.

You can apply for the beta here, but you'll need to make a RYM account first.
See my post a few above yours. ;)

I think beta is only open to people who had a RYM account before May 2016?

Yeah, Ive been checking this out lately, and it looks pretty good. I like that the library is done by regions. Alot of people elsewhere are recommending the software Collectorz though, anybody have any experience with that?
Collectorz is OK but it didn't have much European stuff in the database so it wasn't good for me.

VGcollect is also good (amazing for something run by one guy) but again the database wasn't as complete as RF Generation (ruin by a team).

When I was deciding, I took a handful of games that represented the extremes of my collection and checked it they were found. RFG had the highest hit rate, and even then I had to add 30% of my collection manually.

Welcome to the club!

i'm going to try and start sometime this year!

my not too distant goal is get a nes then somehow rgb mod it...

i'm sorta dabbling on ebay at the moment. still playing my ps2 and genesis via RGB to BVM but eventually will get to it.

i still need to rgb mod a snes mini i got off ebay for 30 bucks that i posted way back...
it looks so easy to mod but i haven't brought a soldering iron yet. after i do that, i'll prob look into nes.

Peltz

I don't think I've ever shared this with you guys. This is my real profile picture on Tinder and Bumble:

13320641_10101388845733920_8742459839366282225_o.jpg

Whenever a girl asks "What's a power glove?" or "What's that glove thing?" I send them this video. It's been working for me....
sorta

Crossposting this from the PC Engine thread just in case anyone here has any thoughts/suggestions to help me:

Ok, I took the plunge and grabbed a Supergrafx to play the couple of Capcom titles exclusive to the platform, but I'm having problems with my copy of Daimakaimura :(

The console also came with another Supergrafx game Battleace. I've hooked the console up to my CRT TV and firstly tried Battleace. Worked fine. Next I took my copy of Daimakaimura (which was brand new and sealed) and opened it up. Plugged the game in and all I get is a blank white screen. I've looked around a bit online and made sure the Supergrafx was set to "Mode 1" which as I understand is the required mode for Supergrafx games (either way, neither mode 1 nor mode 2 allowed the game to boot up). I also tried a couple of standard PC Engine games and those work fine. So at the moment I don't think its the console, as every other game seems to work and including another Supergrafx game. So at this stage I think its probably Daimakaimura, which is strange as the game is completely spotless, I'm quite stumped as to why it doesn't work.

Any recommendations? If it weren't so expensive to get ahold of another copy of Daimakaimura I'd grab another copy and test that, since at this point I'm thinking it has to be the game since everything else seems ok. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Peltz

Crossposting this from the PC Engine thread just in case anyone here has any thoughts/suggestions to help me:

Ok, I took the plunge and grabbed a Supergrafx to play the couple of Capcom titles exclusive to the platform, but I'm having problems with my copy of Daimakaimura :(

The console also came with another Supergrafx game Battleace. I've hooked the console up to my CRT TV and firstly tried Battleace. Worked fine. Next I took my copy of Daimakaimura (which was brand new and sealed) and opened it up. Plugged the game in and all I get is a blank white screen. I've looked around a bit online and made sure the Supergrafx was set to "Mode 1" which as I understand is the required mode for Supergrafx games (either way, neither mode 1 nor mode 2 allowed the game to boot up). I also tried a couple of standard PC Engine games and those work fine. So at the moment I don't think its the console, as every other game seems to work and including another Supergrafx game. So at this stage I think its probably Daimakaimura, which is strange as the game is completely spotless, I'm quite stumped as to why it doesn't work.

Any recommendations? If it weren't so expensive to get ahold of another copy of Daimakaimura I'd grab another copy and test that, since at this point I'm thinking it has to be the game since everything else seems ok. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Bit rot?

If it's never been used the contacts could be oxidized. Usually not a problem for something brand new but if it was stored in a semi-humid place for 25 years who knows? Most vintage electronics suffer from it if they go unused for long periods.

I would try cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol and then brush/spray some de-oxit on the contacts. If that works then apply some de-oxit Gold to protect the contacts for a long time. I do this with all my old electronics that have weak connections.

If it's never been used the contacts could be oxidized. Usually not a problem for something brand new but if it was stored in a semi-humid place for 25 years who knows? Most vintage electronics suffer from it if they go unused for long periods.

I would try cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol and then brush/spray some de-oxit on the contacts. If that works then apply some de-oxit Gold to protect the contacts for a long time. I do this with all my old electronics that have weak connections.

Tell me about this deoxit gold..

I've accidentally stripped the coating on a couple of my games, when I heard of Weimans glass stovetop cleaner. I was misinformed about that.. So I kept rubbing until there was no more black coming off into the swab. I had wondered if it was possible to get a protective coating back onto the pins, but I imagined not.

Tell me all you know!

Tell me about this deoxit gold..

I've accidentally stripped the coating on a couple of my games, when I heard of Weimans glass stovetop cleaner. I was misinformed about that.. So I kept rubbing until there was no more black coming off into the swab. I had wondered if it was possible to get a protective coating back onto the pins, but I imagined not.

Tell me all you know!

Here's a video with some info on deoxit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGvemNm4YRo

Deoxit gold is specified for rare metal contacts (copper, gold, etc.) and on the package it says to use it after using regular deoxit. I've used both in combination because I collect old stereos and it really does restore old scratchy pots and faders to complete functionality. Usually regular de-oxit works great but I read that using the gold will prevent the contacts from corrosion or re-oxidizing.

I've used it on a Real Bout Special cart I have for my MVS that I bought at a convention. It would work but I had to insert it in the slot just right until after I gave the contacts a cleaning with alcohol->deoxit->deoxit gold. A lot of people will suggest it on the Neo Geo forums for getting old carts going again.

Thanks for the information everyone :) I'll be grabbing some Deoxit and give that a try (fingers crossed for the best).

Good luck! If it doesn't work, sorry about that but it can't hurt to try. I've never seen a rom chip on a game suffer from bit rot personally but I don't own any HuCards.

Good luck! If it doesn't work, sorry about that but it can't hurt to try. I've never seen a rom chip on a game suffer from bit rot personally but I don't own any HuCards.

Yeah, unfortunately I can't fast track the order with Amazon Prime so it'll be next week before I receive it, but fingers crossed its ok. In the mean time I'll try to do some further cleaning of the console and card to be on the safe side.

I think what is most annoying more than anything is that the game itself is expensive enough that I can't just grab a replacement, else I'd not be as bothered! Its got me really nervous for 1941 now, as that's even more expensive so I don't want to risk getting a dud card.

D.Lo

I've had a couple of PC Engine card games fail on me. They were working fine, then one day just stopped. I tried everything to no avail. Including my copy of Slamander I'd had for 15 years too.

So it seems they're a more fragile format than regular carts.

Just following up on a conversation I had her a couple weeks ago about sound options. I was told not to bother if I only wanted to spend $40 or $50 on audio. Well, I got a nearly new-in-box one of these systems for $40 on CL. Sounds excellent! Master Blaster and Outrun 2006 have sounded sweet on this the last couple of days.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

i have something similar that i found on CL too for about 10 bucks. it was a bit old but functional and 2.1 sounds great for genesis.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Is the Sega Master System worth it? To give some context, someone on my local Craigslist is offering 77 CIB games with a system for $800. Is this something even worth considering? The price seems insanely high ball, but I know nothing about the SMS market.

eEK!

Neo Member
Is the Sega Master System worth it? To give some context, someone on my local Craigslist is offering 77 CIB games with a system for $800. Is this something even worth considering? The price seems insanely high ball, but I know nothing about the SMS market.

If you're just interested playing games, I'd say no. SMS doesn't really have enough great games (has a lot down ports from Arcade and MD/Genesis) for it to be worth that much.

Khaz

Yes, definitely. If you're interested in playing games the system has a very interesting library full of SEGA exclusives. Many 8bit arcade ports were better on it too, and quite a few games on both the Megadrive and the Master system are really completely different, like Sonic or Castle of Illusion. Most of the better games were exclusive to Europe/Brazil, so you have to be willing to import to get the most of it.

dubc35

Are there any good beat 'em ups in the vein of Streets of Rage or Double Dragon past the 16 bit era? Past 16 bit I have ps1/2/3, PSP, OG Xbox, and a DS. I have several Platinum games but was wanting to see if there were any ones that played like the 8/16 bit ones; more 2d looks. I have Tekken 3 so I may use Force Mode to scratch the itch.

Are there any good beat 'em ups in the vein of Streets of Rage or Double Dragon past the 16 bit era? Past 16 bit I have ps1/2/3, PSP, OG Xbox, and a DS. I have several Platinum games but was wanting to see if there were any ones that played like the 8/16 bit ones; more 2d looks. I have Tekken 3 so I may use Force Mode to scratch the itch.

Capcom put Tenchi wo Kurau 2 and Dungeons and Dragons on Saturn. There's also Die Hard Arcade and Guardian Heroes but they're a larger departure from the games u listed.

I haven't tried Nekketsu Oyako and it's pretty expensive now, but there's that too.

Glowsquid

If it's any help to you, here's a far-from-exhaustive list of 2D and 3D beat'em ups irrespective of quality and availability (though I've obmitted really horrible licensed games that are not worth anyone's time).

PS1
-Batman Forever Arcade
-Nekketsu Oyako
-Panzer Bandit (same style as Guardian's Heroes)
-Crisis Beat
-Jackie Chan Stuntmaster
-Fighting Force (also avail. on PSN)
-Gekido

Saturn:
--Nekketsu Oyako
-Batman Forever Arcade
-Die Hard Arcade
-Crows: The Battle Action for Saturn (not to be confused with the horrible Acclaim licensed game)
-Guardian Heroes
-Three Dirty Dwarves

N64
-Fighting Force 64

Dreamcast
-Dynamite Cop
-Zombie Revenge
-Soul Fighter

PS2
-The Bouncer
-Urban Reign
-Beat down
-the sega ages golden axe remake

OG Xbox
-Beat down
-Final Fight Revenge

GBA
-Gekido
-Double Dragon Advance
-Star Wars Episode III (also on ds )
-TMNT

Personally I love Three Dirty Dwarves, and I quite like fighting force, though I figure I'm pretty alone in that.

Galdelico

It's a genre that lost its popularity quite dramatically, after the 16 bit era, yet you can find some good/entertaining titles on more modern systems...
On top of my head, Gekido for the original PlayStation is pretty decent (it's 3D, though, whereas its sequel on the GBA is fully 2D and also providing a more classic beat'em up experience on the whole), as well as Urban Reign on the PS2. On the same system, you can play the three Neo Geo Sengoku Densho games, all bundled in the Sengoku Anthology. Too bad it's EU only, and it commands stupid prices on ebay (you can get the PC version for pennies, if that's an option).
In case you may have the chance to play import games on the PS1, I recommend you to give Gear Fighter Dendoh a try. Pretty basic, but very fun to play and nice to look at. Once again, if you don't mind paying shitloads, there's also a port of Captain Commando on the PS1. On the PS3, you could take a look at Dragon's Crown, or import the Japanese version of Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara (definitely better than the more barebones PSN/XBLA digital release).

IrishNinja

good beat-em-up list
also: peltz could get it!

Gearing up for Halloween.

same! trying out Earthbound: halloween hack tonight, lining up the rest

Yes, definitely. If you're interested in playing games the system has a very interesting library full of SEGA exclusives. Many 8bit arcade ports were better on it too, and quite a few games on both the Megadrive and the Master system are really completely different, like Sonic or Castle of Illusion. Most of the better games were exclusive to Europe/Brazil, so you have to be willing to import to get the most of it.

^he's right about the underestimated catalog & how cool/different the genny ports were...but as an SMS kid? right now is historically a terrible time to buy, honestly.

77 CIB games sounds fantastic, but that's a high fuckin' price for a library that for most of its existence was like $10 each, tops, on many titles. i'm sure he has a few (Power Strike, etc) that command a higher price, but having just watched a host of common CIB titles on ebay clear $30-40+ i can tell you, that bubble's gonna burst hard and many of those will not hold, honestly.

it's your money, of course...for a few hundred, personally id get a model 1, FM synth mod it, grab some 3D glasses & a master everdrive and wait it out...but again, your call!

D.Lo

I like SG1000/M3/MS just as much as Mega Drive. If it wasn't for the Mega Drive's shooters I would easily like M3/MS more.

Lots of cool quirky very Japanese Sega games, back when Sega were the type of company with Opa Opa, Space Harrier and Wonder Boy as their main non-racing franchises, before Sonic's success sent them off in full edge mode™ for a few years.

That's too much money though, most MS games can be had for peanuts in Australia/New Zealand/Europe.

IrishNinja

haha fuckouttahere with full edge mode TM! i adore SMS but you gotta admit, genesis/mega drive saw some greats when the 3rd parties got to show up, man

that said i got nothing but love for a dude who celebrates the fantasy zone/space harrier era

D.Lo

haha fuckouttahere with full edge mode TM! i adore SMS but you gotta admit, genesis/mega drive saw some greats when the 3rd parties got to show up, man
Yeah Mark III actually has literally two 3rd party games lol. Sega themselves published some ports of third party games (same with early Mega Drive, eg Ghouls and Ghosts), but they were mostly farmed out to ghost developers, so vary a lot in quality.

I'm actually a pretty big non-fan of most western developed stuff on both Master System and Mega Drive. All those poor-controlling C64 and then Amiga style games. So many awful soundtracks.

IrishNinja

oh, agreed...but if you skip the OG turrican games and go to say, Mega Turrican, you feel better about life

there's so many of those EU PC type games that Retro Gamer adores that even my old atari playin ass is like...really? this is a janky platformer with too much to collect & weird colors, what am i missing

oh, agreed...but if you skip the OG turrican games and go to say, Mega Turrican, you feel better about life

there's so many of those EU PC type games that Retro Gamer adores that even my old atari playin ass is like...really? this is a janky platformer with too much to collect & weird colors, what am i missing

Gonna have to disagree about the early Turrican games. Turrican 2 (on the Amiga, not the awful Mega Drive "port" know as Universal Soldier) is still up there as one of the best games I've ever played - huge levels, great controls (bar pressing up to jump, I always hated that) and a killer atmosphere. T3/Mega Turrican suffered in my opinion due to having smaller more linear levels which killed the fun and atmosphere for me. I still love that game, but will pick T2 over it every single time. Even the original Turrican game for the Amiga is excellent though not quite as good as the sequel.

Super Turrican (the mashup of past bosses and new stuff that was plonked onto the Snes) was similar to Mega Turrican. To short/linear and the level design on the whole just wasn't as good as T2. That said, I do really like what Super Turrican 2 did, brand new visuals and effects, decent level design and some awesome set pieces/bosses. I really need to finish off the NES version of Super Turrican so that I can see how that compares to the rest of the series.

Anyway, I've gushed over the Turrican series enough for one day! I've spent the morning playing Forgotten Worlds on the Master System. I wasn't sure what to expect going into this one, as the lack of proper aiming controls like the arcade version made me wonder just how the game would control. Thankfully it was done well - with aiming handled by the two buttons and your character auto firing (giving you one less thing to worry about). It works well in practice and after a couple of tries I quickly got the hang of things and managed to finish the game twice over (easy and normal difficulties, could probably manage hard as well if I tried). Loads is cut out, and now there is a crab boss for some reason but it still plays closely to the arcade version and looks pretty decent as a Master System game I think. I do appreciate that the developers of the MS port were smart enough to design weapon upgrades around being able to home in and shoot from both sides at once, to make things easier on the player. I'm looking forward to seeing how the MD port compares.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Crossposting from the Wii-thread:

Is there any differences between a pal and ntsc Wii? I know ntsc Wii doesnt support rgb, but that can be softmodded in right? Do they output different resolutions or anything like that, or is that all tied to the games? Thanks in advance!

televator

Crossposting from the Wii-thread:

I see your cross post and raise you my cross post. :p
There's no improvement in Wii RGB over component. It's not the kind of case where one argues that due to your limited perception during fast playback... you won't notice that there was any loss... blah-blah-blah.... The Wii is a special case where the RGB signal is obtained from the same source as the component one that was already formatted for the component color space.

To elaborate: The Wii simply does not produce an RGB image in its frame buffer before sending frames into the video encoder. RGBis an uncompressed color space. The Wii however locks things into a compressed 4:2:2 color space.

Teknoman

Yeah thats another I need to track down. Only played the demo, but it was fun.

On that note, getting into Dino Crisis, Dreamcast version.

As far as horror threads, should I post the thread early, or just wait till September 30th as usual?

BTails

That's a sexy game, Anthony. The original Metal Gear is vastly underrated... except the whole part with walls that needed to be punched to determine that they could be blown up with C4. Fuck that noise!

D.Lo

That's a sexy game, Anthony. The original Metal Gear is vastly underrated... except the whole part with walls that needed to be punched to determine that they could be blown up with C4. Fuck that noise!
Underrated? It's highly celebrated?

The Metal Gear games on MSX have the typical MSX2 low/choppy framerate, they push the system too hard. There's a patch to run them more smoothly on a Turbo R, but Turbo Rs are ultra expensive!

Top Bottom