• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

IrishNinja

I did, but considering the length of that gen, it was overwhelmingly disappointing how few great games there were... let alone ones that have any hope of aging well.

i dunno, i felt this way personally about the PS2 gen (after the magic that was the gen prior) but looking back, there's a lot i've revisited. ill likely be discovering quality stuff for years to come here.

360 and PS3 are definitely going to be retro in 2025+.

isn't the usual rule 2 gens prior? technically speaking they'd fall under that (for some) long before then, but i personally can't wait till gamestop dumps their stock of these & the wii too

Timu

isn't the usual rule 2 gens prior? technically speaking they'd fall under that (for some) long before then, but i personally can't wait till gamestop dumps their stock of these & the wii too
Yes, that is true. Funny enough there are still games on PS3 that came out like Persona 5. You are right though.

IrishNinja

Yes, that is true. Funny enough there are still games on PS3 that came out like Persona 5. You are right though.

i can't wrap my head around the legs of the PS3 being so much longer than even the 2 was, but you're right...now i'm wondering what the last game for the system will be? and how many of the "I MUST OWN EVERY GAME FOR THIS SYSTEM" weirdos will buy it up, haha

D.Lo

My comment wasn't trying to take a stab at PS360 quality or anything. I just don't feel like the current gen systems have done anything new. Just more of the same with better fidelity and more expansive systems. The difference between Snes -> N64 -> NGC -> Wii was all pretty apparent, but the jump from PS3 or X360 to PS4 or XBO has been negligible outside of the aforementioned power.
Agree again, plenty of new stuff on PS360, good stuff apart from the shit console reliability. But PS4Bone feels like PS360 DLC. I've ben playing Vanquish and Shadows of the Damned, and they could be released now and would be well received and pretty much exactly the same just with less aliasing.

i can't wrap my head around the legs of the PS3 being so much longer than even the 2 was, but you're right...now i'm wondering what the last game for the system will be? and how many of the "I MUST OWN EVERY GAME FOR THIS SYSTEM" weirdos will buy it up, haha
PS3 doesn't have anywhere near the legs of PS2? PS2 hit 100 million just a few months before the PS3 came out, but ended at 155, so sold around 1/3 of its total after the release of its successor. PS3 has sold I think 5 only million after the PS4 came out?

Persona 5 and other Japanese games are weird too, PS3 has remained a semi-viable home console for releases in Japan from Vita ports and because the PS4 is a bit of a bomb that only overtook the Wii U a few months ago.

DCHnTT0UIAAf9s6.jpg
https://twitter.com/MOUNTAINGRAPHIC/media

IrishNinja

PS3 doesn't have anywhere near the legs of PS2? PS2 hit 100 million just a few months before the PS3 came out, but ended at 155, so sold around 1/3 of its total after the release of its successor. PS3 has sold I think 5 only million after the PS4 came out?

Persona 5 and other Japanese games are weird too, PS3 has remained a semi-viable home console for releases in Japan from Vita ports and because the PS4 is a bit of a bomb that only overtook the Wii U a few months ago.

true, i just still haven't seen PS3 drop to the prices PS2 saw - it may still but the walmart christmas crowd clearly didn't care as much about cheaper blu-ray players as they did cheap DVD ones years back i guess. i just mean that the gen was so very much longer than the PS2's was, and it's still seeing some large releases.

true, i just still haven't seen PS3 drop to the prices PS2 saw - it may still but the walmart christmas crowd clearly didn't care as much about cheaper blu-ray players as they did cheap DVD ones years back i guess. i just mean that the gen was so very much longer than the PS2's was, and it's still seeing some large releases.
think that's just indicative of the PS3's MSRP

Fularu

Banned

That's because Sony never released a cheap version. Only Nintendo was able to get the Wii price down to 80$, the rest cxouldn'T go lower than 180$ (with an HDD, because HDDless models were pointless).

Same will happen with PS4 and Xbone, they'll never go below 250$ either.

D.Lo

That's because Sony never released a cheap version. Only Nintendo was able to get the Wii price down to 80$, the rest cxouldn'T go lower than 180$ (with an HDD, because HDDless models were pointless).

Same will happen with PS4 and Xbone, they'll never go below 250$ either.
HDD was less of an issue than the architecture IMO. Microsoft had HDD-less 360s, and you could stick a cheap 50GB flash drive on them.

The biggest issue was the architecture being unscalable. The majority of profit Sony has made in gaming in history was by getting the PS2 CPU and GPU (EE and GS) onto a single chip. That shit made them a fortune.

No idea how it will go with PS4Bone, being 95% standard Intel PCs means they can possibly scale better? Power and number of chips reduction may be more possible?

HDD was less of an issue than the architecture IMO. Microsoft had HDD-less 360s, and you could stick a cheap 50GB flash drive on them.

The biggest issue was the architecture being unscalable. The majority of profit Sony has made in gaming in history was by getting the PS2 CPU and GPU (EE and GS) onto a single chip. That shit made them a fortune.

No idea how it will go with PS4Bone, being 95% standard Intel PCs means they can possibly scale better? Power and number of chips reduction may be more possible?

Not relying on IBM for engineering work for a die shrink is probably a huge gain. 360 was pretty much stuck at 45nm.

Laws00

This is amazing. Nobody on the show looks at all excited about all this new-fangled modem technology.

"It's a simple process."

*dials on antique rotary phone and waits for dial tone*

Pete Perkins, "It's not illegal if you don't get caught"

What do you mean you don't know?" "I haven't got caught at it yet!" "Are Apple happy about this?" "...I wouldn't be."

Fularu

Banned

We won't see systems on a chip kind of cost savings in the future. Also Nintendo proved with the Wii that as long as your product is attractive to your consumers, then you don't need to lower the price outside of some very specific events, and for a short time.

Targeted, time restricted price drops work better than permanent ones.

We won't see systems on a chip kind of cost savings in the future. Also Nintendo proved with the Wii that as long as your product is attractive to your consumers, then you don't need to lower the price outside of some very specific events, and for a short time.

Targeted, time restricted price drops work better than permanent ones.

Apple also uses that pricing structure. Price drops are a tool to boost sales. If the product is selling well at it's current price it makes no sense to drop it(ignoring new products entering the market)

Teknoman

Anyone know where to find high res cover art without text...say for poster size purposes? I used to have a few saved like Super Metroid's SFC cover art and one from outrun, but I think I long deleted the folder.

I just want to say that despite AM2R, i'm pumped for the metroid II remake. Looks really solid and I haven't played a metroid game in quite a while.

I just want to say that despite AM2R, i'm pumped for the metroid II remake. Looks really solid and I haven't played a metroid game in quite a while.

I could never get into Metroid II because of how shit the GameBoy is. I can't wait for the new game. I almost missed that it existed because I've been super busy and it wasn't in the main presentation. Wtf Nintendo

I could never get into Metroid II because of how shit the GameBoy is. I can't wait for the new game. I almost missed that it existed because I've been super busy and it wasn't in the main presentation. Wtf Nintendo
The Treehouse presentation for it totally sold me. Haven't touched my 3DS in years but this just totally reinvigorated my interest in these last handful of 3DS titles.

dubc35

I've only played a couple hours of AM2R and up until this point I have had no interest in the 3DS but I may buy one for Metroid.

been i while but picked up some budget nes. 3,6,10,11 bucks
All great games! Special nostalgia for Bad Dudes and Bionic Commando. One of my good friends had both.

I was just asking about 3DS (or really the N2DSXL) on the last page because I'm thinking it would be a pretty good time to jump in. A new 2D Metroid makes it so much more tempting. 2D Metroid is still among my all time fave IPs and has been since the original game. I even really loved Metroid 2 at the time of release.

dubc35

i'm so hyped for metroid!

I was just asking about 3DS (or really the N2DSXL) on the last page because I'm thinking it would be a pretty good time to jump in. A new 2D Metroid makes it so much more tempting. 2D Metroid is still among my all time fave IPs and has been since the original game. I even really loved Metroid 2 at the time of release.

Stay out of the main thread then, lol. Man, people can (and will) find a way to complain about anything.

Honestly a 3DS is worth having almost regardless of your taste in games. The library is really broad and has quite a few titles that are in the top echelon of their repective genres such as Animal Crossing New Leaf, Monster Hunter, or the Etrian Odyssey games. My only recommendation on hardware is to try before you buy if possible. I'm usually anal about getting smaller, lighter handhelds but the 3DS is a bit of a mess in terms of ergonomics. It's top heavy due to the top half of the clamshell essentially having 2 screens, and this means that you need proper leverage on the bottom, which -- at least for me -- makes the larger consoles more comfortable despite the greater weight.
It occurs to me, the n2DS might actually solve that ergonomic flub. Hopefully it does.
Stay out of the main thread then, lol. Man, people can (and will) find a way to complain about anything.
That thread is a mess for sure. I was just watching the tree house stream and didn't recognize the dev name so I was just excited as hell watching the feed -- which, if you haven't seen it, is absolutely wonderful and shows off the game really nicely -- and then someone I'm watching with starts talking about the dev and I'm like "Okay, but are you seeing this?"

Teknoman

So another poster question, are there even frames that would fit those promo posters that would come with games? Say the one that came with the NA release of FFVI or the one that came with DS Chrono Trigger?

dubc35

Honestly a 3DS is worth having almost regardless of your taste in games. The library is really broad and has quite a few titles that are in the top echelon of their repective genres such as Animal Crossing New Leaf, Monster Hunter, or the Etrian Odyssey games. My only recommendation on hardware is to try before you buy if possible. I'm usually anal about getting smaller, lighter handhelds but the 3DS is a bit of a mess in terms of ergonomics. It's top heavy due to the top half of the clamshell essentially having 2 screens, and this means that you need proper leverage on the bottom, which -- at least for me -- makes the larger consoles more comfortable despite the greater weight

Is there a best or definitive version of the 3DS? I didn't realize there were so many models including the "New" ones.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wasn't on-board with Samus Returns after hearing it's on 3DS and developed by Mercury Steam... but after watching the Treehouse Live stuff, it really does look great. And it's a unique take on the game, so that's cool.

I've got the weirdest love-hate relationship with the 3DS. Like, it's one of my favorite systems ever, because it has so many great games... but I want more stuff on the Switch. Whatever. It's a new 2D Metroid, and there's a new 3D Metroid on the way. I'm more than happy. It's like 2002 all over again... kinda.

Is there a best or definitive version of the 3DS? I didn't realize there were so many models including the "New" ones.
I would say either of the "New" models are fine, depending on how much heft you like, if you prefer larger/smaller screens, how big your hands are, etc. You might wait for the new 2DS model, however, since it might resolve some ergonomic issues. Pretty subjective, regardless.
I wasn't on-board with Samus Returns after hearing it's on 3DS and developed by Mercury Steam... but after watching the Treehouse Live stuff, it really does look great. And it's a unique take on the game, so that's cool.
Yeah, I think everyone who watched the stream is at least in part of this mind. Doubt anyone's ecstatic it's on the 3DS, but I can't imagine watching that livestream and thinking it didn't look like a solid metroid title.
I've got the weirdest love-hate relationship with the 3DS. Like, it's one of my favorite systems ever, because it has so many great games... but I want more stuff on the Switch. Whatever. It's a new 2D Metroid, and there's a new 3D Metroid on the way. I'm more than happy. It's like 2002 all over again... kinda.
I definitely feel this. I don't even have a switch but I'm sick to death of the 3DS. Though I'm one of those crazy fuckers who hates the clamshell with a passion.

I would say either of the "New" models are fine, depending on how much heft you like, if you prefer larger/smaller screens, how big your hands are, etc. You might wait for the new 2DS model, however, since it might resolve some ergonomic issues. Pretty subjective, regardless.

I think I really will wait until the N2DS comes out. I'll miss out on the 3D effect but I know it's primarily a gimmick. I think I'd mainly miss it on the Sega classic collections (truly a gimmick but pretty damn cool) and Super Mario 3D Land. And maybe a Link Between Worlds -- that is a game I definitely want to play and the last one to make me consider buying a 3DS before this announcement. But I know the 3D is not nearly as vital to the full experience as it is with 3D Land, correct?

Are there any other top-shelf 3DS games that REALLY need 3D for the full experience?

I would say there are no titles that "need" 3D in any way. In fact, the game that I played that I thought it looked best in was mutant mudds, oddly.

Another point: the XLs are the way to go if you intend to play DS games, at native res they're quite small on the non-XL models. I think the new 2DS has an XL-sized screen, though?

Yes, it's is a N2DSXL so it's bigger but without the weight of the current models. I absolutely plan to play DS games if I get one so thanks for the tip on that. Sounds like it's really the model to get.

So another poster question, are there even frames that would fit those promo posters that would come with games? Say the one that came with the NA release of FFVI or the one that came with DS Chrono Trigger?
What size are they? I ordered some frames from amazon a few years ago and they were fine, they have a bunch of different sizes. LINK

edit - and now I'm looking at the 2ds that I don't need thanks to this thread.

I think im on the same wavelength as you guys. I absolutely adore the ds/3ds library but I fucking hate the console with a passion it's just too God damn uncomfortable.

I've repeatedly been so damn tempted to buy a 3ds capture card and wire up a gamecube controller to the thing and be done with using it as a portable.

I'm contrast the switch is an absolute dream to use. That's why I bitch about games coming to 3ds over switch.

Yes Boss!

I've got the weirdest love-hate relationship with the 3DS. Like, it is one of my favorite systems ever, because it has so many great games... but I want more stuff on the Switch. Whatever. It's a new 2D Metroid, and there's a new 3D Metroid on the way. I'm more than happy. It's like 2002 all over again... kinda.

Just embrace it. Totally different feel fron the Switch and it has been a tremendous system year in and year out. I am totally stoked they are pushing it so strongly for the coming year. So many good first-party games slated this year. Switch has so much stuff already this year.

Peltz

Crossposting from the AV thread. (Meant to post here originally).

Two great things happened to me this week. I got Windjammers today.

And back on Monday, I became an uncle to a very beautiful baby girl. Hard to believe my sister is a mom now. Going to help raise her on tons of great games. :)

congrats on the new familly member!

some of my most cherished memories are introducing my little nephew to all the snes games i played as a kid. made sure super mario world was the first game we completed together to completion, nowadays (he's 6) i get regular demands to play darius burst, mushihimesama futari and muchi much pork. i think the indoctrination is going quite well.....

Crossposting from the AV thread. (Meant to post here originally).

Two great things happened to me this week. I got Windjammers today.

And back on Monday, I became an uncle to a very beautiful baby girl. Hard to believe my sister is a mom now. Going to help raise her on tons of great games. :)
Congrats!!!!!!

dubc35

Congrats Peltz!

That uncle influence! I had my nephew hooked on Double Dragon (NES) this past Thanksgiving.
He's basically better than me now, lol

Top Bottom