• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios moved to a new larger office

Am I the only one who wants to see them work on a new Star Fox game? The staff they've picked up would be pretty interesting on it.

Also, does anyone know how big Retro is now? Are they able to handle more than one project at a time?

http://www.linkedin.com/company/retro-studios

Type: Privately Held
Company Size: 51-200 employees
Industry: Computer Games
Founded: 1998

That's as close as we're going to get. I'm guessing around 120 or so, with production in full force for the Wii U title.

What are you guys talking about? http://www.retrostudios.com/eCard/
1237917779613a.jpg

DaBoss

Nonsense.
Aether/Dark Aether says otherwise. :p
:p
1 and 2 were great. 3, however... slipped.
3 slipped in the sense it lost a lot of it's isolation for the story. If they cut out the whole talking to the Aurora Units and interaction with the Galatic Federation, then it would be up there with the other 2. Still a great game. Gandrayda is one of my favourite bosses from the trilogy.
Hey, Prime 3 had nothing going for it but Skytown. 1 and 2 had everything going for them.
Skytown was amazing, not gonna deny that, but to say it had nothing going for it is BS. I think the bosses in Prime 3 were top notch.

My guess is it's going to be a Starfox title.

The series is long overdue a new entry. Question is, will it be a straight up sequel to the N64 game, or will they aim to give us a Zelda-style epic in HD to buy the Zelda team some extra time to work on their own HD adventure?

Starfox Adventures failed at what it tried to do, but it was never designed as a Starfox game to begin with. Could Retro pull off Fox-on-foot if they approach the idea from a different angle?

A Fox game is my bet, anyway.

Prime 2 is easily the worst MP game. The most ridiculous fetch quest, annoying as shit random encounters that would block the way... ugh. Not to mention that you couldn't take a break from this game longer than a couple of days, since you'd be completely lost after coming back, because it was way too big for its own good.

Oh, and the final area was utter crap, the worst thing in the whole Metroid series, completely out of place.

noffles

Banned
Skytown was amazing, not gonna deny that, but to say it had nothing going for it is BS. I think the bosses in Prime 3 were top notch.

It had nothing going for it in the sense that it didn't live up to two amazing predecessors as it should have.

My guess is it's going to be a Starfox title.

The series is long overdue a new entry. Question is, will it be a straight up sequel to the N64 game, or will they aim to give us a Zelda-style epic in HD to buy the Zelda team some extra time to work on their own HD adventure.

Starfox Adventures failed at what it tried to do, but it was never designed as a Starfox game to begin with. Could Retro pull off Fox-on-foot if they approach the idea from a different angle?

A Fox game is my bet, anyway.

There's hope for both Metroid and Star Fox!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/miyamoto-talks-metroid-star-fox-for-wii-u-6386102

"With Metroid, it's very easy to imagine some interesting implementation for Wii U," Miyamoto said. "I think that having another screen with the gyro built in really gives you a lot of interesting opportunities for development, and we can bring a lot of our games to life in a completely unique way with that."

"I feel like the possibilities of the GamePad for Metroid could be really fantastic," he added. "There's certainly a lot that you could do there for that game."

Regarding Star Fox, Miyamoto said he was personally eager for this franchise to come to the Wii U, but he did not share any further information.

Pikma

Banned
ok I get that... but the U wasnt bolded...

To me it simply stands as either A: a fan of the Book/movie Dreamcatcher in the wrong thread or B: a messed up joke...

Either way I reiterate... WTF

It was a reference to that meme, sorry if you find it disturbing, and just for the sake of it, I'll say it: I have nothing against the gay community, at all.

DaBoss

It had nothing going for it in the sense that it didn't live up to two amazing predecessors as it should have.

I guess you can say that, but by all means it isn't a bad game. It's just not as great as the first 2, but not by a large margin.

noffles

Banned
I guess you can say that, but by all means it isn't a bad game. It's just not as great as the first 2, but not by a large margin.

Prime 3 is an 8/10. Prime 1 and 2 are both 10/10 material.

I'd just rather a 4th Prime game didn't get made so the memories can be preserved.

There's a bit of Dead Space 3 (think it's part of the intro) that made me wonder what a Starfox game could look like now. Anybody know what I am talking about?

Can't be arsed finding the vid (browsing on phone).

DaBoss

Prime 3 is an 8/10. Prime 1 and 2 are both 10/10 material.

I'd just rather a 4th Prime game didn't get made so the memories can be preserved.

Haha, fair enough. One can hope they will make a Prime 4 that is as good as the first 2. Even if they don't make a Metroid game, it's a good chance they will make an excellent game with their track record.

serplux

Perhaps they are working on multiple projects? It seems like they've hired an awful lot of people and worked for too long for it to be a single project.

noffles

Banned
Nintendo wants to drop a bomb on the Western audience. Retro needs all the manpower they can get to build that bomb.

Perhaps they are working on multiple projects? It seems like they've hired an awful lot of people and worked for too long for it to be a single project.

Well, I assume their Wii U project is going to be BIG. Like, top-quality AAA game.

Those kinds of games usually require a large budget and a good amount of core staff.

The development team (including contractors) for Nintendo Land was 114 people large. I assume Retro's new project is twice that.

Azure J

Prime 2 is easily the worst MP game. The most ridiculous fetch quest, annoying as shit random encounters that would block the way... ugh. Not to mention that you couldn't take a break from this game longer than a couple of days, since you'd be completely lost after coming back, because it was way too big for its own good.

Oh, and the final area was utter crap, the worst thing in the whole Metroid series, completely out of place.

NOPE.

Edit: LOL rereading that thread shows me that this is an opinion you've had on the game for a while. I understand, but I really can never agree with the assertation that Prime 2 is the worst of the series, let alone a bad game.

I would love a new Prime. The Prime world realized on that hardware... wow. Make it darker, scarier. I would want to fear what's hiding in the depths.

METROID DREAD.

Market the game as a horror title big time, and it's sure to draw in new fans.

Wait, people are saying MP3 was bad? You guys suck. Really. All 3 were great games. Number 2 was just a bit hard in my opinion. Actually, I've yet to complete it... *runs off*

ohlawd

Übermatik;47020112 said:
Wait, people are saying MP3 was bad? You guys suck. Really. All 3 were great games. Number 2 was just a bit hard in my opinion. Actually, I've yet to complete it... *runs off*

Weeeak :p

Beth Cyra

Übermatik;47020112 said:
I don't get the Prime 3 flack.

Then again I don't drop to my knees at the mere mention of Retro like a lot of Nintendo faithful but honestly I think Prime 3 is the best game they've made.

I guess the beginning of Prime 3 is bad and the very end with all these awkward galaxy empire people. Which ultimately are far less bad things than Prime 2 has.

I loved MP3. Yeah Samus wasn't as alone but it did a lot of really cool stuff and it was the first major game that made people realize pointer controls were awesome

I want another Metroid from Retro, but only if it follows the DKCR formula for updating a franchise. Side scroller or bust! I mean, their name is Retro...

edit:3rd person would be acceptable as well. I just want Samus' acrobatic prowess back. No more "first person adventures" please.

Azure J

I want another Metroid from Retro, but only if it follows the DKCR formula for updating a franchise. Side scroller or bust! I mean, their name is Retro...

edit:3rd person would be acceptable as well. I just want Samus' acrobatic prowess back. No more "first person adventures" please.

That's gonna be AnOther M then.

I have no issue with an Other M Samus mechanically. (She was sooooooo beautifully athletic/acrobatic.) I have problems with Other M designs not allowing her full repetoire to be used efficiently (RE4 sections with nothing going on, Where's Waldo segments in their entirety, clunky missile firing when Corruption already had a more than serviceable method to doing FPS mechanics for both firing and selecting missiles) and focus on following a narrative though. Also Retro doing it would ensure that the art direction is beyond stellar.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't get the Prime 3 flack.

Then again I don't drop to my knees at the mere mention of Retro like a lot of Nintendo faithful but honestly I think Prime 3 is the best game they've made.

I'd only find 3 the best Prime if I also found Fusion the best 2d metroid. The amount of railroading and linearity is fucking annoying. Also has cruddy story elements.

serplux

I have no issue with an Other M Samus mechanically. (She was sooooooo beautifully athletic/acrobatic.) I have problems with Other M designs not allowing her full repetoire to be used efficiently (RE4 sections with nothing going on, Where's Waldo segments in their entirety, clunky missile firing when Corruption already had a more than serviceable method to doing FPS mechanics for both firing and selecting missiles) and focus on following a narrative though. Also Retro doing it would ensure that the art direction is beyond stellar.

I'd rather them work with a completely new IP. They've proved that they could tackle one of Nintendo's most treasured series; there's no reason not to try to make another Nintendo staple.

I'd rather them work with a completely new IP. They've proved that they could tackle one of Nintendo's most treasured series; there's no reason not to try to make another Nintendo staple.

Agreed. They have incredible potential and I want to see them work on more neglected Nintendo franchises.

ugoo18

Picked up more employees from Vigil, Junction Point and Bioware Austin.

Hurry up and get here E3 (Damm Nintendo is good at stifling leaks lol).

Top Bottom