• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RetroArch 1.8.2 (and onwards)

Harlock

Hmmmm. Just installed 1.8.2. on my Vita and now upon ystarting RetroArch I only receive a crash with the following error message:

"An error has occured in the following application.
(C2-12828-1)
Saved Core File Succeeded.
ux0:data/psp2core-1578403116-0x0006fb3c91-gambatte_libretro.self.psp2dmp"

After which I can only acknowledge the error and return to the Vita's main menu.

Halp, plz! :'(

Edit: Never mind that. I've reinstalled 1.8.1. and everything is running peachy again.

You need to delete all the data directory and install again to upgrade. And remember to copy the data directory again. I had forgot that the Retroarch install need this two steps: running the the apk and copying the data folder.

Last edited:

Froschi

You need to delete all the data directory and install again to upgrade. And remember to copy the data directory again. I had forgot that the Retroarch install need this two steps: running the the apk and copying the data folder.

Is that new? Until 1.8.2. I've never had to delete anything for an update.

source.gif

Harlock

I don't know. Maybe because my version was too old, from early 2019.

BTW I am having problems with GBA. One core crashes when start the game and another do a total freeze when I open the Retroarch menu inside the game, having to restart the Vita.

Edit: is a bug and not fixed yet. Seems like changing the menu driver can help. I need to test this later.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I tried RetroArch with a variety of SNES cores to run Final Fantasy 6 but I'd always get these scratchy audio glitch noises in the background, so I just used snes9x instead. I couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot, but I wonder what the problem was.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Just found this thread, been running RetroArch on Shield TV for quite a while and I like what it does. I hope the new version has an updated interface because that's the weakest part. That and the fact that you need ISO and ROM files with an exact checksum to have it shown in your games list, with no way nto manually add games.

Use it mainly for MSX2, SNES, Genesis, Sega-CD and PC-Engine emulation, and while the Sega-CD games work perfectly, I have to manually browse and start them and they don't get identified as what they are by RetroArch?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just found this thread, been running RetroArch on Shield TV for quite a while and I like what it does. I hope the new version has an updated interface because that's the weakest part. That and the fact that you need ISO and ROM files with an exact checksum to have it shown in your games list, with no way nto manually add games.

Use it mainly for MSX2, SNES, Genesis, Sega-CD and PC-Engine emulation, and while the Sega-CD games work perfectly, I have to manually browse and start them and they don't get identified as what they are by RetroArch?
You can add games that don't match the exact checksum to system playlists via the recently added manual scan option, you select a core and the folder to scan and it adds any suitable files under that core playlist.

You've been able to choose different interfaces if the default xmb (psp) style isn't to your liking from the drivers menu (unless Shield gets that other glui type default like my phone does and it doesn't let you change).

Ozone seems gamepad friendly without looking all mobile or psp like the others mentioned. Don't ever choose null if you can't fiddle with editing the files as text to change it back to something else, lol, that's empty!

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

I have not seen that in the Shield TV version, I can choose fonts and backgrounds but it's always a messy XMB interface. Also never found how to add games manually to be honest. I'm gonna see if this update is available for Shield TV / Android TV and give it a whirl!

Alexios

It's available for android so it should be. The new manual scan for games that don't match is just under the normal scan. The gui is changed in settings > drivers > menu, you need to close and reopen to apply, it won't change when you merely select one. This is Ozone, xmb is the PSP-like and glui is mobile:
retroarch_2020_02_06_zakuc.png

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

Already looks multiple times better than what I have running at the moment. Thanks for the head's up!

TriSuit666

Banned
You can add games that don't match the exact checksum to system playlists via the recently added manual scan option, you select a core and the folder to scan and it adds any suitable files under that core playlist.

You've been able to choose different interfaces if the default xmb (psp) style isn't to your liking from the drivers menu (unless Shield gets that other glui type default like my phone does and it doesn't let you change).

Ozone seems gamepad friendly without looking all mobile or psp like the others mentioned. Don't ever choose null if you can't fiddle with editing the files as text to change it back to something else, lol, that's empty!

The Shield version has all the currently supported menu interfaces as in the Win version, as well as Ozone, not sure about the new new one that's being developed though.

Alexios

There's probly custom menus to find or make too, but I cba, I just want something easy to use and decent to look at, I even disable all the fancy stuff like fetching covers etc...

DW74

(The following is all on PC)

Beetle PSX HW with PGXP has been a godsend for PSX emulation. It’s the only thing I really use RA for in the here and now. It has a long way to go in the cheats area, though. Even the now-ancient EPSXE beats it in that arena.

It’s Reicast core was nice. Had some fun there with Soul Reaver in the past.

I was always disappointed with the lack of options in the cores for 8 and 16-bit systems. I was always better served by single-purpose individual emulators in this area. FCEUX and Snes9x for example. Different resolutions, different video settings, etc.

Always wanted retroarch to be my one, single, emulator. I know they want that too. Maybe some day.

Last edited:

Alexios

I finally set up the Final Burn Neo core and it seems pretty good. Might replace all my Saturn (and some Dreamcast) 2D SNK/Capcom games unless they provide compelling console-esque features like training and story modes and unlocks while being virtually arcade perfect.

It seems much nicer than mame cores with fully integrated input mapping and stuff on top. Like, when running Capcom fighting games it labels L/M/H punch & kick buttons to map rather than just button 1, 2, 3, and mixing in coin and such.

Other games do just label Fire 1, 2, 3 etc., but yeah. It all feels pretty good and I've not had issues in actual games yet, from the likes of Blood Bros and up to Street Fighter Alpha 3 or 3rd Strike.

BTW, how is it apparently OK for archive.org to host complete rom sets? It's not some random unknown site that gets away with it, right? Asking for a friend >_>

Last edited:

stranno

RetroArch R3 for Playstation 4 (still unofficial).

r3 release changes:
- Re-based to RetroArch v1.8.4
- Added online core updater support.
- Added multi controller support. Up to 4 controllers can be used. (1 controller per user login)
- Added mouse and keyboard controls for cores that support it.

New cores include:
- Flycast (Sega Dreamcast)
- Beetle PSX (This is non hw version as the PS4 currently doesn't meet the GLES requirements for hw version)
- ScummVM
- Virtual Jaguar (Atari Jaguar)
- Stella 2014 (Atari 2600)
- vecx (Vectrex)
- SameBoy (Game Boy / Color)

alf717

I'm still using 1.7.7. Decided to give this a go again and figure out all of the quirks I was having with it. Ended up adding play lists for all of my games with cover art and figured out how to use the boarders / shaders as well. Overall I'm pretty happy with the setup now. Ozone theme is a huge plus for me I never liked using XMB. Testing out Mega Man Battle Network 4.5 in both original and with a move mod with the GBA player boarder. Its great to finally be able to play this game as this has been sitting on my shelf forever hoping for a translation. Ended up learned a lot about how to get this all to work and my only issue at the moment is that my rip of Dragon Warrior VII doesn't show up but it matches the checksum that retroarch uses to verify so I've no clue why that is. I found others having the same issue so I've no clue what is up.

Alexios

You can edit the playlist text files to add it by copy pasting another entry and changing the names/file path. Alternatively upgrade to a newer version which has the manual scan option to add games that aren't auto added.

Alexios

I'm sure game support isn't anywhere near MAME but Final Burn Neo is much easier to work with and configure, especially within RA and in terms of input configuration, so I'm sticking with it now that I've tried it :d

Last edited:

Alexios

Before I update does anybody know how to make sure I keep all my settings, lol. I didn't care previously but now I've customised controls and stuff extensively with core/game overrides to have different pads on port 1 and 2 based on that (so that I have both my pads connected to my PC at all times but use the Fighting Commander as pad 1 for Saturn/Arcade and the DS4 for the rest cores (but also Virtual On/GunGriffon II on Saturn to get the Twin Stick scheme) and different input mappings per game. On Android I just update the app as normally and it's fine (I think, but I only play a few specific non action games on there while in bed anyway, I don't care for inputs much) but on PC I'm not sure if I can just overwrite all the files or whatever and it will be safe yet without leftover unnecessary files (I'm ocd about that and keep my PC tidy, down to the registry entries, lol).

Last edited:

Alexios

I use the installer since a while ago that I made it my primary emulator, anything different like that? And copy pasting the whole thing won't overwrite any of the settings files with default ones for sure? Or cause issues if the syntax has changed or something?

Edit: ah well, screw it, I just installed over it and it seems fine so far.

Last edited:

nkarafo

If i have the choice i never pick the installer versions. I always choose the archived ones. In the buildbot at least there is a full pack with all you need in a zipped file. If you want you can have multiple versions this way, you just put them in different folders. Also, when you update, you don't need to overwrite the whole thing. Just the "retroarch.exe" file is enough. In the buildbot there is a pack with just the exe for this job. Sometimes you may get an error when you try to run it, that means a new dependency file is missing, those are all the dll files in the root folder of RetroArch. In the buildbot you can also find a pack with those files as well (it's called "redist"), just copy them in the root folder and you are set.

This is how i update my setup. I have a backup copy the whole thing in an external drive but i also archive the previous exe files before i overwrite the new one. I also archive the "retroarch.cfg" file so i can experiment with different options and overwrite the old one if i want to quickly undo everything.

Last edited:

Alexios

Have to say that N64 is among the systems that hold up the worst. I'm not some retro 3D snob either, I regularly play Saturn and PS1 games in RA but even the best N64 games are painful in comparison even after configuring the controls so that they play with semi-modern schemes (ie mapping the c keys on the left stick and the analog stick on the right stick and triggers/buttons accordingly so FPS play like a twin stick shooter, I do the same for Dreamcast Outtrigger and such). I don't really get why it just always feels off. Probably the performance but OoT is ok-ish and it's ~20fps. Idk.

Last edited:

Area61

I still couldn't figure out with romset goes with which core yet. Speaking of arcade cores obviously. I am confused at MAME and FBA cores. Could somebody help me with it?

Alexios

I use Final Burn Neo because of its great input settings integration and there's a complete FBN geared romset on archive.org. But not all games will be added automatically with the normal scan still sadly, I noticed things like Space Harrier missing even though the rom is there and there are just waaaaay too many titles and variants to bother going for the manual scan setting and sorting/renaming/whatever everything after the fact, lol. Hopefully someone will put out a romset or update the database RA uses or whatever so that will all be recognized by the default scanning.

Last edited:

Alexios

I doubt your ISP blocks archive.org, it's a legit/famous site/resource for all kinds of things... Google appropriate keywords + archive.org.

Last edited:

INC

I doubt your ISP blocks archive.org, it's a legit/famous site/resource for all kinds of things... Google appropriate keywords + archive.org.

Some sites it blocks, and other are some bad with pop ups and shit, that the roms just dont work, just wanted to know some more reliable site, thanks

Last edited:

Alexios

Anyone getting issues with Saturn (Beetle core) after updating? I get an "Uncorrectable data at sector 0" error in every single Saturn game now and they don't go past the boot up Saturn logo screen. Goggling pins the common cause being a mismatch between the file names and the files specified in the cue file, but I rename all my games to my own naming system and make sure to have the .cue file match up so, that's not it, I double checked, it's all good. I dunno what else to try. Dreamcast (Flycast), N64 (ParaLLEl), Arcade (FBN), PlayStation (Beetle HW) all work still.

Last edited:

Alexios

Anyone getting issues with Saturn (Beetle core) after updating? I get an "Uncorrectable data at sector 0" error in every single Saturn game now and they don't go past the boot up Saturn logo screen. Goggling pins the common cause being a mismatch between the file names and the files specified in the cue file, but I rename all my games to my own naming system and make sure to have the .cue file match up so, that's not it, I double checked, it's all good. I dunno what else to try. Dreamcast (Flycast), N64 (ParaLLEl), Arcade (FBN), PlayStation (Beetle HW) all work still.
It works again after core updates so I guess they fudged something up previously, yay :)

Kuranghi

Just wanted to post to say I'm very into RA and if anyone is having trouble finding a good filter for GBA then I modified a preset a bit and thought it looked great on a 65" 4K screen, was so hard to get a balance of having the pixel grid but its not being too defined. I don't think its very accurate to what the AGS-101 screen would actually look like but it makes the pixel art look as sharp as possible while also making the sprites [Is that even the right word?] look great.

The oversaturated colours of Metroid Fusion and The Minish Cap I corrected with the core built-in colour correction but I think it desaturates those games too much so I combined a pass of GBA-color with my modified CRT-Caligari [Which includes bilinear filtering I think so you can turn that off in the general options if you have it on].

All the GBA ones I tried were authentic-looking but didn't actually make the art look great at 4K, I'm got the scaling set up pretty well I think but maybe I shouldn't be running GBA games at 2160p to begin with, I do it to get a slightly lowesr input lag on the telly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom