• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Radius4

If you load from the commandline you should add -L bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll to select that core. (replace that with the core you want)

EasyMode

Speaking of the bsnes_accuracy core, why does that core prescale horizontally? Has there been any discussion about disabling this or making it optional?

Radius4

It doesn't prescale, it's just the way the core works, that's the one of the major differences between that and balanced, accuracy always render 512px horizontally.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just throwing this out there in case anyone can help - have been playing FF7 on iOS, 35 hours in, all the way up to the waterfall after using the key of the ancients. And then there's a crash - for some reason something in the waterfall room is crashing the emulator.

Not had any problems at all up until now, has anyone else experienced this crash? Or played past this point on iOS?

Quoting myself to say that I fixed it, seems this is a problem with the ISO files themselves but I played through on PC quickly to get past that section and it's all good.

Not too fond of how (the iOS version at least) deals with memory card saves, it seems touch and go as to whether the save will stick, I've had to re-play a few sections due to saves not actually saving. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

Okay, after months of futzing with this on PC, I just got a new phone last week and have started to try it out on Android.

For the most part I love it. Games run very well; the overlay controls work very well (and I can easily set them up to naturally put the screen on top and controls on bottom in vertical mode, like it's a Gameboy); it works nicely out of the box with my Moga Pocket.

I just have one issue: if I use multitasking to switch away from the app, whatever ROM I have loaded resets when I come back, which means anything I'd done in the interim since my last save is lost. Is there some way to fix this?

Mikeside

Is there an idiots guide to getting shaders to work anywhere?

I'm trying to get CRT Royale working on the Windows version of Retroarch but it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all

Conan-san

Is there anywhere with any good overlay images for Retroarch the ones I've found have be sorta plain "image of console" sort of affairs.

Awakened

Is there an idiots guide to getting shaders to work anywhere?

I'm trying to get CRT Royale working on the Windows version of Retroarch but it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all
It's the most complex shader available currently, with it's own separate settings file and everything. It also has a few dependencies, meaning it uses other bits of files elsewhere in common shaders, so you either need to have a complete common shaders set in your shaders folder, or know how to modify royale to include the dependencies in it's own folder.

I've uploaded a "portable" version of crt-royale with all the dependencies here. You can just extract the folder and cgp file from that zip into your shader folder and load the cgp in RetroArch and it should work if you have an NVidia card with recent enough drivers.

If not, you have to replace the user-settings.h file in the crt-royale folder with an ati or intel one copied from the crt-royale-settings-files folder (and rename the settings file you copy over to user-settings.h). Then you have to open user-settings.h with a text editor and add // to the left of the #define RUNTIME_SHADER_PARAMS_ENABLE line. That makes it so the settings in user-settings.h take effect, which I already did in the NVidia ready settings file I have in place in that zip.

Also, you need a recent enough test build of RetroArch for the shader to fully work. Older builds will have missing effects.

ctothej

Has this been deleted from the App store? I downloaded it a few months ago and just recently it stopped working. I deleted it and tried to redownload, but it's nowhere to be found.

Radius4

Yeah probably it was.
1.0.0.3 beta is around the corner now (windows / linux /osx), we are getting that out to find any issues in the main application.

1.0.0.4 beta will follow for mobile devices I think

Lettuce

Yeah probably it was.
1.0.0.3 beta is around the corner now (windows / linux /osx), we are getting that out to find any issues in the main application.

1.0.0.4 beta will follow for mobile devices I think

So no 1.1 in 2014 then?

Will 1.0.0.3 at least include the new GUI?

I've come around to liking CRT royale now

it's alright

I did like that but prefer CRT-EasyMode now, as you dont need integra enabled to get even scanlines

Giever

Where can I find test builds of RetroArch for Windows? I tried finding them on the Libretro site, and they have a pretty recently updated stable version of it, but it still doesn't work with CRT Royale.

Rich!

Damn, Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS) looks amazing on Retroarch with a CRT shader:

it8ZWrifsR9pl.png

it's insane just how much better it is than the SNES original.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Got myself an new iPad Air 2 coming soon and I just realised to my horror that retroarch will likely not work on it for some time. Total bummer. With the hardware in it I'm wondering if it will make ps2 emulation possible on tablets now. At least it'll run DS and n64 better than my ailing iPad 2.

petran79

Banned
i have problems setting the Sega CD emulation with Genesis Plus GX in Ubuntu Trusty

to sum things up:

In home folder I've added a Sega BIOS folder with both the 32x and SegaCD BIOS.

eu_mcd1_9210.bin (Europe)
jp_mcd1_9112.bin (Japan)
us_scd1_9210.bin (USA)

also a file named scd_U.brm was created when I loaded the USA bios

now in the .config folder of Retroarch, the Genesis Plus GX config file contains the following:

libretro_path = "/usr/lib/libretro/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so"
libretro_directory = "/usr/lib/libretro/"
libretro_info_path = "/usr/share/libretro/info/"
system_directory = "/home/username/segabios/"
content_directory = "/media/username/FreeAgent Drive" (it is an external HDD with folders with various ROMS.

How do I associate each BIOS with the specific .bin files? Do I need to add or remove anything in the cfg?
When I tried loading Sonic CD.bin file, Retroarch crashes. Probably cant find the bios.
Also I loaded Sega USA BIOS first and when I tried to load the Sonic CD.bin file, I got same issue.

Is it better to put the BIOS file in the game folder instead?

Palom

i have problems setting the Sega CD emulation with Genesis Plus GX in Ubuntu Trusty

to sum things up:

In home folder I've added a Sega BIOS folder with both the 32x and SegaCD BIOS.

eu_mcd1_9210.bin (Europe)
jp_mcd1_9112.bin (Japan)
us_scd1_9210.bin (USA)

also a file named scd_U.brm was created when I loaded the USA bios

now in the .config folder of Retroarch, the Genesis Plus GX config file contains the following:

libretro_path = "/usr/lib/libretro/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so"
libretro_directory = "/usr/lib/libretro/"
libretro_info_path = "/usr/share/libretro/info/"
system_directory = "/home/username/segabios/"
content_directory = "/media/username/FreeAgent Drive" (it is an external HDD with folders with various ROMS.

How do I associate each BIOS with the specific .bin files? Do I need to add or remove anything in the cfg?
When I tried loading Sonic CD.bin file, Retroarch crashes. Probably cant find the bios.
Also I loaded Sega USA BIOS first and when I tried to load the Sonic CD.bin file, I got same issue.

Is it better to put the BIOS file in the game folder instead?

The BIOS file goes into the system folder. Rename us_scd1_9210.bin to bios_cd_u.bin

petran79

Banned
The BIOS file goes into the system folder. Rename us_scd1_9210.bin to bios_cd_u.bin

thanks.

only difference is that GNU/Linux distros are case sensitive.
So I had to rename file to bios_CD_U.bin instead

also have to do the same for the mp3 files as there is no music

nkarafo

Android version seems to be problematic. Both Game Gear and Master System cores crash the emulator after you try to move in any game and N64 doesn't seem to work at all on my S3 :(

Radius4

Yes the GG and SMS problems are known. I'm not sure if those were fixed already though.
The N64 problem, we'd need more info regarding that, a log or something. Might be a driver issue since some android devices have really terrible GL drivers.

And anyway 1.0.0.2 is ancient by now so I'd just hold on for the next version, 1.0.0.3 beta will be PC/linux/mac only and it was supposed to come out this week but there was a minor setback. Hopefully on the weekend.

1.0.0.4 will target the mobile platforms afaik.

nkarafo

And anyway 1.0.0.2 is ancient by now so I'd just hold on for the next version, 1.0.0.3 beta will be PC/linux/mac only and it was supposed to come out this week but there was a minor setback. Hopefully on the weekend.

That's interesting, although i'm worried about the upgrade process... i spent too much time configuring all the cores, will i need to get rid of everything and start anew?

Also, is this going to be just a program update or there will also be new cores?

Rich!

That's interesting, although i'm worried about the upgrade process... i spent too much time configuring all the cores, will i need to get rid of everything and start anew?

Also, is this going to be just a program update or there will also be new cores?

I've always just copy and pasted the new versions into my current retroarch folder, replacing any current files. And it always works fine, and keeps my settings

obviously I have no idea if that will be a sure thing for the future, but hey

Lettuce

Yes the GG and SMS problems are known. I'm not sure if those were fixed already though.
The N64 problem, we'd need more info regarding that, a log or something. Might be a driver issue since some android devices have really terrible GL drivers.

Will 1.0.0.3 include the new GUI interface, seeing as 1.1 isnt happening now for a good while? Also will the new version have a build for OpenElec (xbmc)?

Radius4

You only need to upgrade the binaries and cores, not sure if cores will be released since most old cores should still work and some are still WIP. Some settings my change and you might have to tweak somethings but nothing major

Will 1.0.0.3 include the new GUI interface, seeing as 1.1 isnt happening now for a good while? Also will the new version have a build for OpenElec (xbmc)?

1.1 will the end of the beta cycle. The idea is not to release a buggy 1.1 just release a few betas, iron out bugs and then release 1.1. The new UI is already usable but it's just a cosmetic thing, not really different from RGUI.

Dunno about Lakka

Robin64

Absolutely loving this program.

I currently have it on my second screen, an HD TV, and I'd like it to start on that screen whenever I load it up. Right now, though, it starts on my monitor, where I then I have to turn full screen off, move it to the TV, then turn full screen back on. Any ideas?

Also thank god for gpu lock or whatever it's called. It was off by default and I was getting horrible controller lag, but once I turned it on it became as good as playing on a Wii U. Lovely.

Seagoon

Is anyone having trouble with Windows 8.1 and some cores lagging like crazy (1-2 fps, stuttering sound etc.) ? I have an AMD A8-6600K based machine, using the inbuilt video and so far only the bsnes_balanced core and vba_next seem to work. I'm having an issue with genesis_plus_gx and mednafen_psx - I've tried disabling shaders and tweaking the video settings but nothing seems to work. Retroarch is configured to use gl - I tried d3d but the program just crashes.

Lettuce

You only need to upgrade the binaries and cores, not sure if cores will be released since most old cores should still work and some are still WIP. Some settings my change and you might have to tweak somethings but nothing major

1.1 will the end of the beta cycle. The idea is not to release a buggy 1.1 just release a few betas, iron out bugs and then release 1.1. The new UI is already usable but it's just a cosmetic thing, not really different from RGUI.

Dunno about Lakka

Yeah i ment Lakka, so that wont be included until version 1.1 then?

Radius4

Yeah i ment Lakka, so that wont be included until version 1.1 then?

Lakka has become XMB and it's working already and will be out in the betas too but as I mentioned it's not really a game changer, it's just a prettier look for the same functional UI.
Features are never cut out in RA

Lettuce

When can we expect this to drop, today?

Conan-san

Ok, stuck, I have four Windows 8 Tiles set to launch to Retroarch (one for the SNES, MD, GBA and N64) and I can't for the life of me remember what to add to the arguments in Oblytile to get the configs that I have set up (Config/MD.cfg for megadrive for example) to get it to go, any help?

butman

I'm turning crazy trying to figuring out how too put the crt shaders in the Android Retroarch.

Anyone knows if it's possible and make a mini guide? Or it's for PC only?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, stuck, I have four Windows 8 Tiles set to launch to Retroarch (one for the SNES, MD, GBA and N64) and I can't for the life of me remember what to add to the arguments in Oblytile to get the configs that I have set up (Config/MD.cfg for megadrive for example) to get it to go, any help?

Append your argument string with: --config "configname.cfg". Here's an example of what I'd use in Oblytile for a game configuration that launches a game with the specified config:

-D "g:\games\sonic1.bin" --config "g:\retroarch\configs\megadrive.cfg"

If you just want the Retroarch menu to come up with the selected configuration preloaded you could use:

-D --menu --config "g:\retroarch\configs\supernintendo.cfg"

Note that using the -D flag/argument stops the debug console from appearing and is optional.

Radius4

http://buildbot.libretro.com/beta/1.0.0.3/

RetroArch 1.0.0.3-beta
=====================================================

This release targets only desktop platforms, please report any RetroArch issues on the 1.0.0.3-beta forum thread.
Limit core bug reports to non-working cores and/or crashes.

Additional cores and platforms will be added in the following day via nightlies at the buildbot.
http://buildbot.libretro.com

Ubuntu Packages are available here:
https://launchpad.net/~libretro/+archive/ubuntu/stable
https://launchpad.net/~libretro/+archive/ubuntu/testing

You can add these issuing the following commands:

# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable
# sudo apt-get update

You can then install with:

# sudo apt-get install retroarch* libretro* dinothawr

Report any problems with the packages (but not with RetroArch itself) here: http://bit.ly/1zHDFeT

Note: the PSP 1.0.0.3 is a pre-release version too, refer to this link for more information: http://bit.ly/10y19Up

Have fun, I'll keep an eye on this thread for bug reports, please remember, it's about RA at the moment, not about the cores

Top Bottom