• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Rizzi

I use eminence with some mods
screenshot003.png

I see screenshots like that and I have no idea what they are, except that they look cool.

Lettuce

Current problem with OpenElec build of RA at the moment is that shaders cause the program to crash. Get the following when trying to enable a shader before RA fc's:

Code:
RetroArch [ERROR] :: gl_cg_init :: Invalid profile type
RetroArch [WARN] :: gl_set_shader :: [GL]: Failed to set multipass shader. Falling back to stock.
RetroArch [ERROR] :: gl_cg_init :: Invalid profile type

Any ideas what the cause is?, Lordashram is not sure what the issue is either

This might seem kind of odd but when I play Sonic 2 and 3 in retroarch, the ring sound that plays when you get a ring is painfully loud in comparison to all of the other sound effects and music. Is there any certain why this may be?

Fezan

I just installed Retro arch after having a lot of issues with fpse . Can some one tell me why brightness while playing mgs is very low. Also its not detecting my ds3 properly. It detects but there is big amount of lag in dpad and buttons are all wrong. Android version btw

MRORANGE

If anyone is interested in a game launcher

EmulationStation | A pretty UI for launching your games

http://www.emulationstation.org/
(Video)

EmulationStation is an open source front end for launching your gameswithout needing a keyboard, with it's themes and customization you can have a very slick looking front-end for you games. EmulationStation has metadata about games and supports a variety of OS's and devices including the Raspberry Pi.

6mlCYT1.png

Get boxart and info on your favorite games:

VhzW5o3.jpg

Getting started
FAQ

Example of how to get it working with RetroARCH,

You need to link what the console, parth of games and the right core in the es_systems.cfg

find it in C:\Users\USERNAME\.emulationstation

Say if I wanted to have a megadrive collection, I would do this:

Code:
<systemList>

<system>
		<name>megadrive</name>
		<fullname>Sega Megadrive</fullname>
		<path>~\.emulationstation\roms\megadrive</path>
		<extension>.zip</extension>
		<command>%HOMEPATH%\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch\retroarch.exe -L %HOMEPATH%\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch\libretro\picodrive_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>megadrive</platform>
		<theme>megadrive</theme>	
	</system>

<system>

</systemList>

Just create another <system> tag to define another console.

Awakened

So, these have been in for a few weeks, but I just tried the latest nightly build to check out the input descriptors:

xmbzsuuw.png

Basically, most cores now have code in them that tells RetroArch to show what buttons you are mapping on the original system being emulated, instead of the RetroPad buttons. So now you don't have to figure them out by trial and error or looking at a wiki. Makes remapping much easier. Just remember to scroll down far enough on the input config screen to get to each user's mappings.

Is there a newer tutorial for this the one on the first page seems out of date.

I just downloaded this but I am confused beyond belief. I just want a nice easy way to load up my games

Radius4

Well RetroArch as it is is not really pretty, but setup is quite straightforward, just download Retroarch from our buildbot repository (http://buildbot.libretro.com), RetroArch a core pack (nightlies are working well so pick the most recent one I guess)

Unzip retroarch, unzip the cores inside the cores dir, and start it. Make sure to read the instructions there since it explains the basic functionality of RGUI. And feel free to ask about anything here I check once or twice a day.

Fezan

I just installed Retro arch after having a lot of issues with fpse . Can some one tell me why brightness while playing mgs is very low. Also its not detecting my ds3 properly. It detects but there is big amount of lag in dpad and buttons are all wrong. Android version btw

any one ?

Well RetroArch as it is is not really pretty, but setup is quite straightforward, just download Retroarch from our buildbot repository (http://buildbot.libretro.com), RetroArch a core pack (nightlies are working well so pick the most recent one I guess)

Unzip retroarch, unzip the cores inside the cores dir, and start it. Make sure to read the instructions there since it explains the basic functionality of RGUI. And feel free to ask about anything here I check once or twice a day.

So I thought I figured it out. Did pretty much this but I'm having some trouble with the emulators or cores running weird. They're is a lot of sound trouble (it sounds like sound slowdown). Its happening across all the cores too. GBA, N64 and Playstation.

I don't have a great computer. Its a laptop with an i5 and intel integrated graphics but I figured it'd be enough since its better than most tablets that can run this stuff. And the graphics are running at a decent framerate, its just the sound that is giving me issues.

Rich!

What are the chances that RetroArch adds Wii U Pro Controller support like Nintendon't one day ?

it already has got support for the mayflash adapter. unless you mean the Wii port - in that case, the devs have already stated they have no interest in doing so, but someone else can add it if they want.

The_Afroman

ok.. what am i missing here? searching for this error gets me tons of garbage.

The program can't start because avcodec-56.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem

anyone seen this?

Update to my question about sound and it being all slow.

my older emulators for SNES and PSP/DS run fine when I launch them separatly, its only in retroarch do I have the problem

Radius4

Well generally speakin RetroArch should be faster but it demands better sync than most standalone emulators.

For starters, make sure GPU sync is OFF, make sure that rewind is off, and make sure to calibrate your refresh rate (check your windows refresh rate config, it should be 60 hz), go to the video menu, go to the refresh rate option and let it run for a few minutes, till it stabilizes, then press A (retropad A that should be B on an xbox controller

That should get rid of the crackling unless your GPU drivers are really bad. Also make sure to have those as up-to-date as possible.

Alright, anyone have experience with the Android version and tried to use it with a Moga Hero Power? The app claims to support it natively (there's an autodetect setting for it and everything) but no matter what I do I can't get the app to actually recognize the buttons.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems like it works with the latest nightlies.

Well generally speakin RetroArch should be faster but it demands better sync than most standalone emulators.

For starters, make sure GPU sync is OFF, make sure that rewind is off, and make sure to calibrate your refresh rate (check your windows refresh rate config, it should be 60 hz), go to the video menu, go to the refresh rate option and let it run for a few minutes, till it stabilizes, then press A (retropad A that should be B on an xbox controller

That should get rid of the crackling unless your GPU drivers are really bad. Also make sure to have those as up-to-date as possible.

The refresh thing seemed to have fixed it. Thanks!

The thing I was wondering about know was how to keep the path going to where I keep my games. When ever I change the path directory and safe the config it looses the cores and when I reset Retroarch it loose the path I set...

Radius4

Make sure config auto save is enabled in general options. About the ROM path, its the one that says browser directory change only that and you should be OK.

Cores should be under the cores Dir the default configuration I ship with the nightlies assumes that. If you extracted them elsewhere make sure to change that path too.

Radius4

ok.. what am i missing here? searching for this error gets me tons of garbage.

The program can't start because avcodec-56.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem

anyone seen this?

What version? The latest nightlies come without the DLLs to save some space on the buildbot. Just grab the resist.7z file and unzip that alongside RetroArch.exe

Platy

it already has got support for the mayflash adapter. unless you mean the Wii port - in that case, the devs have already stated they have no interest in doing so, but someone else can add it if they want.

Meant the Wii version =/

If Wii retroarch reached Nintendon't recent controller compability would make my WiiU the most perfect machine ever

Rich!

so uh, whenever I press right on the lakka/xmb menu to go to the individual console categories, it crashes the program. any ideas?

_Ryo_

Could someone please help with trying to get this to work in Kodi(xbmc) on Linux?

I have a nightly installed. I've tried to get backups to launch in both advanced launcher and rom collection browser without success.

When it asks for the emulator I input

/usr/bin/retroarch

When it asks for the argument I've tried different combinations of these inputs

genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so "%ROM%"
genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so|"%ROM%"
/usr/lib/libretro/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so "%ROM%"
-f -L /usr/lib/libretro/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so "%ROM%"

and more and none seem to work.

And I'd like to know how to setup overlays for each game system as well, I've never really tried to deal with that on anything other than android where it's very easy.

(genesis core is just an example, no matter which one it still wont work.)

On another note as for EmulationStation I can't even get it to register the config file.
It doesn't find any of my backups even though I point it to the directory

I've tried

~/Emulation/Playstation Portable/Backups
~/home/*/Emulation/Playstation Portable/Backups

Both work well in Windows...

Radius4

Could someone please help with trying to get this to work in Kodi(xbmc) on Linux?

I have a nightly installed. I've tried to get backups to launch in both advanced launcher and rom collection browser without success.

When it asks for the emulator I input

/usr/bin/retroarch

When it asks for the argument I've tried different combinations of these inputs

genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so "%ROM%"
genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so|"%ROM%"
/usr/lib/libretro/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so "%ROM%"
-f -L /usr/lib/libretro/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so "%ROM%"

and more and none seem to work.

And I'd like to know how to setup overlays for each game system as well, I've never really tried to deal with that on anything other than android where it's very easy.

(genesis core is just an example, no matter which one it still wont work.)

On another note as for EmulationStation I can't even get it to register the config file.
It doesn't find any of my backups even though I point it to the directory

I've tried

~/Emulation/Playstation Portable/Backups
~/home/*/Emulation/Playstation Portable/Backups

Both work well in Windows...

This is my setup (in windows)

I have all my configs in a config folder, that's basically all I do in RetroArch. I have one global config (I don't use per-core) and I use the appendconfig command line option to change just the relevant parts

XBMC part (advanced launcher addon, I don't use RCB):
Code:
<application>C:\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe</application>
<args>"%rom%" --config config\living-room\retroarch.cfg --appendconfig config\living-room\custom_nes.cfg -D -L libretro\nestopia_libretro.dll</args>

The appenconfig basically changes shaders and the active retroarch controller in some cases

This is my nes custom config

Code:
video_shader = "shaders\custom\htpc-leo\royale-nes.cgp"
video_aspect_ratio = "-1.000000"
aspect_ratio_index = "21"
core_options_path = "config\living-room\nestopia-core-options.cfg"
input_libretro_device_p1 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p2 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p3 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p4 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p5 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p6 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p7 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p8 = "1"

In case you have a custom overlay for that core you could add it there, if it was per game you can append a second custom config per game if you want

I have all my configs in a config folder, that's basically all I do in RetroArch. I have one global config (I don't use per-core) and I use the appendconfig command line option to change just the relevant parts

Out of curiosity -- any thought to adding, like, an include option for configs? The append thing works fine for launching different configs from outside the application but I'd like it if I could have some different short configs I could load from the app that would all just load my base config and modify a few different things for each.

Fezan

Alright, anyone have experience with the Android version and tried to use it with a Moga Hero Power? The app claims to support it natively (there's an autodetect setting for it and everything) but no matter what I do I can't get the app to actually recognize the buttons.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems like it works with the latest nightlies.

How i am getting terrible lag and wrong button mapping with ds3

arcath-

Neo Member
So this will be like a lightweight cleaner designed Hyperspin?

I was looking for a frontend so I was testing various ones out. I got the img for RetroPie working and finished the scraping and I like it way better than Hyperspin.

Don't get me wrong, Hyperspin is nice but there is a lot of overhead with all the bells and whistles.

There is just a simple elegance to EmulationStation.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I need a good CRT shader similar to this (crt-interlaced-halation) but without the curve. Light on GPU would be nice.

bbubVHd.jpg

EasyMode

I need a good CRT shader similar to this (crt-interlaced-halation) but without the curve. Light on GPU would be nice.

You can disable the curve by opening crt-interlaced-halation-pass2.cg in a text editor and commenting out "#define CURVATURE" by putting "//" in front.

Another thing I'd recommend is changing the shader passes to 3 and setting #2's filter to Linear and scale to "Don't care".

Like so:

This will get you a sharper image and eliminate the blocky halation.

crt-hyllian-glow is already flat, and should be light on the GPU, but the scanlines are more noticeably uneven at non-integer scales. Another similar one to try is crtglow_lanczos under the crt/glow folder.

Radius4

Yeah I've worked a lot on the core since then. Just try one from.the nightlies my patches have been merged already.

Small note. The 4 button gamepad/joystick only works in one port at the time. This is a hardware limitation. So if you want to use the 4 button one make sure you use it only in one port. Otherwise it will fallback to 2 port pad/joystick.

I'm working on keystroke emulation too but first I want to add most of the important config stuff as core options.

Yeah I've worked a lot on the core since then. Just try one from.the nightlies my patches have been merged already.

Cool, will do.

Small note. The 4 button gamepad/joystick only works in one port at the time. This is a hardware limitation. So if you want to use the 4 button one make sure you use it only in one port.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Radius4

The old IBM/PC joystick port only allows for 4 axes and 4 buttons, 2 players were implemented by some sort of splitter that borrowed 2 buttons and 2 axes for the second player.

In RetroArch input options you can then only use

2button + 2button
4button + none
none + 4button

Any other combo will default to 2 + 2

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Would anyone happen to know why Majora's Mask crashes when attempting to do the Powder Keg challenge?

I am playing on an iPhone 5s.

Lettuce

Is there a way to change the transparency of the menu screen when brought up in game so you can see more of the game screen behind the menus?

Card Boy

Banned
RETROPIE

How do i make Gameboy and Gameboy Colour games go 4:3 and not cutoff part of the image on my LCD TV (overscan?)?

SNES, GBA, NES games look fine.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What's the difference between .cg and .cgp shaders? I can't load any .cg shaders, but .cgp shaders are fine.

Top Bottom