• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retron 5 (4?) announced at Midwest Gaming Classic

MrMan2k3

Has anybody used controller extension cables with their Retron5? I tried some SNES cables and everything mapped wrong. They work fine on an actual SNES. I'm using v2 Beta 4, by the way. I never tried using the cable on the stable firmware, so I don't know if it's something that was introduced from the beta.

sörine;130830434 said:
I'm not following? Libretro hasn't done anything similar?

I think its funny that the guys who made software that allows you to illegally play games are complaining that someone else did the same thing to them.

Damaniel

Banned
I think its funny that the guys who made software that allows you to illegally play games are complaining that someone else did the same thing to them.

The emulators are legal software, produced for use under a license that Hyperkin is violating (and rather sloppily, at that).

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Has anybody used controller extension cables with their Retron5? I tried some SNES cables and everything mapped wrong. They work fine on an actual SNES. I'm using v2 Beta 4, by the way. I never tried using the cable on the stable firmware, so I don't know if it's something that was introduced from the beta.

Yes I'm using an extension cable and no issues.

akileese

DKOldies has these for like, $130. Would any of you who have one say it's worth it at that price or better off holding out for something (possibly?) better down the line?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
DKOldies has these for like, $130. Would any of you who have one say it's worth it at that price or better off holding out for something (possibly?) better down the line?
IMO, the Retron 5 is worth it if you satisfy all of these conditions:

- You only have an HDTV in your gaming setup; no CRT on hand.
- You're unable to hook a PC up to your HDTV easily. (PC emulators are generally preferable to a dedicated emulator box imo.)
- You're not picky with compatibility issues.

akileese

IMO, the Retron 5 is worth it if you satisfy all of these conditions:

- You only have an HDTV in your gaming setup; no CRT on hand.
- You're unable to hook a PC up to your HDTV easily. (PC emulators are generally preferable to a dedicated emulator box imo.)
- You're not picky with compatibility issues.

The third one hit it home for me. I'll pass. Thanks. Maybe if it goes under $100 again.

Metfanant

Been thinking about picking one of these things up for awhile now, but just have not pulled the trigger...

- I'm not any sort of retro purist by any stretch of the imagination. This will run through my receiver to a 67" Samsung LED DLP and there is no chance I'll ever spend the money to pick up an old CRT or anything like that...I'm only really interested in some of the real classic games, and have no intention of ever starting any sort of retro collection

-I have a Genesis and an Super Nintendo sitting next to my Wii, but I'm thinking this would be nice to have in order to have just one console to handle everything...

- The ONE big thing holding me back is N64 support...If this thing had N64 support I probably would have already bought it..I know back in the spring there was some talk of N64 support coming to the NEXT version of the retron...any follow up word on that?

How is the overall picture quality on this thing on 1080p sets? How good are the "filters?" And how is the audio quality?

mosaic

go eat paint
How is the overall picture quality on this thing on 1080p sets? How good are the "filters?" And how is the audio quality?
The Retron 5 outputs 720p, so hopefully your set scales that without issue. It should.

I have a Genesis hooked up to an HDTV via SCART to HDMI adapter and the Retron 5 looks near-identical with "show overscan" enabled. There is some difference in color saturation, but I'm not sure which is actually more accurate in that regard.

The filters are questionable, in my opinion. Scale 2x and HQ2X are "ok" but nowhere near as awesome as xBRZ filters on PC emulators. I'm sure they're good at a distance, but I don't find them preferable to unfiltered. I feel that way about the scanlines option also. All it does is darken every other line a few shades. There are no adjustments for it, so if you're the sort that prefers black lines or to set intensity, you may find it useless.

Audio quality seems fine to me. I have no gripes about the NES. The Genesis audio sounds like a really good model 2 Genesis, but lacks the bass punch of the model 1. There are bass and treble boost options. They're interesting but they generally change the whole overall sound "feel," so I don't use them.

Dishwalla

Banned
Finally bought one of these things, it was never really a priority for me since I own all of the consoles it emulates, but it's still neat to have. The only issues I've been having is with Famicom/Super Famicom games, it can be really picky when it comes to playing them. Also something cool is I can play my PAL NES games like Aladdin now, they ran on both of my NES's(after disabling the 10NES chip), but I could never get through the first level without the game glitching out.

Also interesting to be able to play Genesis games with Super Nintendo controllers, and vice versa.

Lettuce

I really hope that Hyperkin can add an option to bypass the region lockout that some games have and add an option to add true 60hz mode. I know that there is a region select mode but it doesnt force the console into 60hz for a 50hz game much like a modded MD console would with the 50/60hz switch!

octopiggy

Has anyone ever tried/is willing to try Mother 3 on this?

I can't decide whether to get an original cart and play it on the Retron with the translation patch or to buy a repro cart.

I'd prefer the original but I've had mixed results with GBA patches on the Retron and I'm also worried about the rhythm portions of the game via emulation.

If not I'd just play a repro on the GameBoy Player.

Top Bottom