• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retron 5 contains multiple GPL violations, illegally uses Retroarch code

I'm referring to the fact that they are charging for putting in your own carts in a box and not have it run software perfect. For purists, emulators in a box defeats the whole purpose of the unit. Otherwise you'd just get the emulator for free and play it through other means.

For me that's only a small portion of the problem. The bigger problem is Retron blatantly using tech they didn't have any right to use and putting it in there.

Either way, take it off the market. I wanted to buy one, but they don't deserve the money for scummy practices

Ah gotcha, didn't know if you thought Emulators were illegal or not. You can never tell with these discussions.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ah gotcha, didn't know if you thought Emulators were illegal or not. You can never tell with these discussions.

I don't think emulators themselves are illegal, but i do have plenty of reservations about their usage. Mostly when it comes to stealing ROM's and ISO's off the internet without paying the proper benefactors.

MAME, i can understand, mostly because nobody is gonna own an arcade cabinet normally. But for commercial grade consoles you can just buy with games easily accessible, it rubs me the wrong way the younger the console/software is.

Atleast own the game and use emulation through that if one is gonna do it.

baphomet

I'd love to see that person that swore up and down on here that the Retron 5 was hardware emulation try and defend this.

Hyperkin are a bunch of hacks. Its been 100% obvious since well before the release of the "console".

Krejlooc

Banned
I'd love to see that person that swore up and down on here that the Retron 5 was hardware emulation try and defend this.

His expanded stance was already dumb enough. He reasoned that, because it ran on any hardware, it was therefore hardware emulation. I.E. as long as the software emulator had hardware to run it at all, it was hardware emulation. He double downed by calling SOAC, "hardware emulation" in the same topic.

explodet

You do realize that selling and licensing fonts is big business, right?
But of course, I've had to buy several myself to get some projects done.

I just found it amusing that they'd bring up Verdana as one of the many things that seem to be wrong with this whole project.

Krejlooc

Banned
But of course, I've had to buy several myself to get some projects done.

I just found it amusing that they'd bring up Verdana as one of the many things that seem to be wrong with this whole project.

I think it was presented to show that they just didn't give a fuck from top to bottom.

This thing is trash and stinks of it even more so now.

Hopefully the end result is opening the platform up to better emulation and use.

I knew there was no way that hyperkin actually used their own r&d and cash to develop so many emulators that actually did a good job.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was going to get one but when I saw Game Sack review of and they opened the system up, it just looked so cheap and clearly wasn't worth buying.

Now I feel less bad I never got the one I paid for on kickstarter over a year ago, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Hmm not really, it just mean that they illegally took your money as you never got your product.

I would chase them up for a refund if I were you.

entremet

Too bad they didn't do their due diligence, because I think that type of machine is great for those who don't want to have a huge mess of retro consoles hooked up at all times.

Also consoles break, although the older ones are more reliable, it's nice having a back up system.

I never cared for PC emulators.

I guess I'll stick to the Wii Virtual Console for now.

That's uncool. Open source software is something every developer should respect. The fact that there are open source libraries and frameworks available for pretty much anything you can imagine has helped software development a lot. Pretty much every developer has benefitted, directly or indirectly from OSS, so it should be obvious that you should give something back, if only credit and honoring the licenses that were used.

androvsky

Too bad they didn't do their due diligence, because I think that type of machine is great for those who don't want to have a huge mess of retro consoles hooked up at all times.

Also consoles break, although the older ones are more reliable, it's nice having a back up system.

Pretty sure they knew what they were doing, it's why they kept insisting they were using hardware emulation when I asked them what emulators they were using. It's not like anyone expected them to make their own from scratch, I was just hoping they worked out a commercial license deal with emulators that allowed that. Apparently not.

Funny thing is I just bought one Friday.

Damn. Just bought one from ThinkGeek today.

Best we can hope for is that they open up the OS to open source development. With the Retrode gone, it would be an excellent platform to tweak for cartridge lovers, Android or not.

androvsky

Damn. Just bought one from ThinkGeek today.

Best we can hope for is that they open up the OS to open source development. With the Retrode gone, it would be an excellent platform to tweak for cartridge lovers, Android or not.
Hyperkin said they might open it up after launch, hopefully they follow through on that. If the retrode is anything to go by, it should be possible to make plugin adapters for most of the missing cartridge systems if they open up the software side.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
An open source retro console, that could be fully customizable and did everything the Retron 5 does would be glorious.

So now they're either going to take it off the market or be forced to make it free to customize with a software update?

Who's gonna force them? I highly doubt there will be any legal action.

So what does this mean for the future? I've been patiently waiting for someone to hack the Retron5 so I can dump my (owned) roms on there and keep my original cartridges in storage for preservation. As a collector, I cringe every time I have to yank a cartridge out of those bloody slots. Before anyone suggests it, I do own multiple copies of the original consoles but don't have the space to hook them all up. Hence why I bought a Retron 5.

If they "open it up", does this mean this is likely to happen sooner?

Persona7

Banned
So what does this mean for the future? I've been patiently waiting for someone to hack the Retron5 so I can dump my (owned) roms on there and keep my original cartridges in storage for preservation. As a collector, I cringe every time I have to yank a cartridge out of those bloody slots. Before anyone suggests it, I do own multiple copies of the original consoles but don't have the space to hook them all up. Hence why I bought a Retron 5.

If they "open it up", does this mean this is likely to happen sooner?

You should have bought a retrode when they were available. I don't know how expensive they are now.

SerTapTap

...this IS pc emulators.

It would be nice if there were a console device which did all this without legality issues. I really like what my Retron 5 has done, so if there was one that does go out and do that, I'd certainly support it.

But with Retron 5 being the only real attempt to make a physical console with emulation ability current out there, it is hard to say no.

The legalities are sketchy

No they're not. Emulation is entirely legal.

What people do with emulators ranges from developing for hardware which would otherwise be outside of a developers reach, through platform shifting titles they own, to 0-day warez, but it doesn't make emulation in and of itself 'sketchy'.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Retrode, for those confused:

ldzcckb.jpg

The retro gamer's best tool

Any way to use N64 games with this?

Persona7

Banned
To be honest, I never heard of the Retrode until very recently. I still don't even know what it is.

It is a USB device that you plug your cartridges into and it allows you to interface with a computer and pull a copy the ROM and save data for backup. You could also get add-ons for other cartridge based consoles because the base device only works for SNES and Genesis. You can also hook it into emulators and have it run your cartridges.

I wasn't a big fan of the Retron 5, namely because despite being a physical console, it's still just an emulator, not real hardware.

televator

Wow! I knew the console wasn't going to live up to the talk before launch but this is far worse than I thought. What the hell are they thinking?

AwShucks

Well this is shitty of them. But I already bought mine and it works wonders for my NES games so no going back for me.

Stimpack

don't get too excited. everything apart from SNES is middling at best (bnes is good though)

use retroarch. srsly.

Went to reply to this earlier, but then my mouse died on me. =/

Anyway, I guess they can't all be winners. I'm not the biggest stickler when it comes to emulation accuracy. Not too put too fine a point on it, but yeah I've been using Retroarch for a good while now. It's really a joy to play around with.

Damaniel

Banned
Wow! I knew the console wasn't going to live up to the talk before launch but this is far worse than I thought. What the hell are they thinking?

They probably figured that an open-source emulator wasn't going to go through the bother of hiring a lawyer to sue -- lawyers cost money, and while emulators are legal, they've still got a bit of a negative perception due to the 'piracy' aspect (though obviously the RetroN 5 is designed around real cartridges anyway). The question is -- will the libretro/Retroarch team prove Hyperkin right?

They probably figured that an open-source emulator wasn't going to go through the bother of hiring a lawyer to sue -- lawyers cost money, and while emulators are legal, they've still got a bit of a negative perception due to the 'piracy' aspect (though obviously the RetroN 5 is designed around real cartridges anyway). The question is -- will the libretro/Retroarch team prove Hyperkin right?

There are often organizations who will take up these claims for the general good of the FOSS community, but it generally has to be a pretty aggrevious offense. Whether retron is a big enough one or not... if I had to guess, probably not.

jimi_dini

They'll get away with it, sadly. The GPL doesn't have Apple or Samsung to stand up for it. That's why the only effective way to fight this sort of piracy (because that's what this is) is to avoid the product.

Atari + Majesco Entertainment didn't get away with it.

http://sev-notes.blogspot.de/2009/06/gpl-scummvm-and-violations.html

There is a period of time in which all current copies have to be sold. Any copies beyond this period or any reprints get fined with quite high fine for each new/remaining copy. The remaining stock has to be destoryed. There will be no single usage of ScummVM for any of upcoming games without our knowledge. Atari makes a significant donation to Free Software Foundation. Atari covers all expenses on gpl-violations.org lawyers.

But sure, you are right. The product should be avoided as well.

androvsky

I checked the manual and website last night, the funny thing is the Retron 5 doesn't even disclose the OS it's running on. Do we think they've paid for an expensive commercial OS, or they're still just running Android on Linux like they apparently were during development? Even if they switched to FreeBSD or NetBSD, they'd still have to have the copyright notices.

Top Bottom