• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Live #003: Pokémon

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/Retronauts/R030611.mp3

Jeremy Parish is joined by resident pokemaniacs Justin Haywald and Kat Bailey to discuss the history and mystery of Pokémon (though mostly they just shout at each other about a children's game while strangers listen in awkward silence)

Venusaur edition!

I had to go to the archived (dead) shows page to find the actual page on 1Up. They're keeping them on the old Retronauts page. I only found out this was out because I follow Parish on Twitter. Maybe they should put a link to this on the shows page?

They keep all the downloads here - http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3156908

Also, they call it Retronauts Live but you can't actually listen to it live, can you? I was looking for some UStream link or something on Friday and didn't see anything.

Jeremy sounds pretty negative on B&W. I've been playing it tonight I agree that it's pretty much the same thing again. I was really expecting more changes after reading that Iwata asks last week too. I still like the games though. I don't mind that they don't change a whole lot. Some games are fine like that. Pokémon and Dragon Quest can evolve at a snails pace for all I care. They're awesome games. I'd rather they stay the same than change so much they turn into something else I don't want to play like Final Fantasy.

GhaleonQ

Sleeping Badger said:
Hopefully it's not just Kat blabbering on to herself again for 45 minutes.

She's quite good at doing it, though, so I don't see what the difference is.

FootNinja said:
Pretty terrible so far.
100px-001Bulbasaur.png

krae_man

I was going to call in about the awesome next gen HD console Pokemon game that came out 3 and a half years ago
Folklore/Folksoul

farnham

Banned
kat bailey is in this ?

YES!! she is a real pokemon maniac judging from her past podcast/blog contributions.
GhaleonQ said:
She's quite good at doing it, though, so I don't see what the difference is.
i agree. kat monologues are somehow interesting

Katbot

Sleeping Badger said:
Hopefully it's not just Kat blabbering on to herself again for 45 minutes.

Yeah!

My goal is to eventually record a podcast with people who are into competitive battling. I'll probably contact some people at Smogon or something.

(I always enjoy talking about Pokemon Snap though)

mujun

I enjoyed this podcast even though I'm not a Pokemon fan by any means. I found Jeremy's snark particularly amusing :)

john tv

Black/White was a big letdown for me. The series has barely evolved at all over the past 15 years. It's kinda sad. :/

Teknoman

john tv said:
Black/White was a big letdown for me. The series has barely evolved at all over the past 15 years. It's kinda sad. :/

How so? The letdown part I mean. The much faster battles, TM improvements, the way the single player flows, soundtrack, new pokemon designs, and the graphic upgrades in general seem like a large step up from Diamond and Pearl.

john tv

Teknoman said:
How so? The letdown part I mean. The much faster battles, TM improvements, the way the single player flows, soundtrack, new pokemon designs, and the graphic upgrades in general seem like a large step up from Diamond and Pearl.
I played for about 10 hours (got to the big city area) and realized I just wasn't having fun. It's all so familiar, I mean right down to how you get running shoes at the start (which shouldn't be an option btw, it should be default - the game already moves at a snail's pace).

Just feels like they keep tacking on "new" features that were standard in other games years and years ago. There were games with faster battles and better monster animation than this in 1997.

The tag mode stuff was the only real innovation that interested me but it wasn't enough to keep me glued to the game. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday, but I'm kinda soured on Pokemon right now...

Huff

Banned
john tv said:
I played for about 10 hours (got to the big city area) and realized I just wasn't having fun. It's all so familiar, I mean right down to how you get running shoes at the start (which shouldn't be an option btw, it should be default - the game already moves at a snail's pace).

Just feels like they keep tacking on "new" features that were standard in other games years and years ago. There were games with faster battles and better monster animation than this in 1997.

The tag mode stuff was the only real innovation that interested me but it wasn't enough to keep me glued to the game. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday, but I'm kinda soured on Pokemon right now...

I'm not sure how much they can actually change and still keep the mass appeal. It's a pretty simple game at first glance and I feel that Nintendo and Gamefreak understand that making it too complicated is going to lose the 8 - 10 year olds.

They would rather lose us than them. Given, I haven't played White yet (still in the package) but I don't my opinion will change. I haven't actually beaten one of the games in years because I get too bored with it. Around the sixth badge I stop playing to take a break and never become interested to play again. Haven't beaten pearl or SS because of this.

john tv said:

I agree that Pokemon hasn't changed a whole lot. You're posting this with a DQ avatar though. Why don't you feel the same about DQ? Has DQ really changed that much? I've only played a few of the DQ games but, I'd say their evolution is pretty comparable to Pokemon's.

udivision

Oni Link 666 said:
I agree that Pokemon hasn't changed a whole lot. You're posting this with a DQ avatar though. Why don't you feel the same about DQ? Has DQ really changed that much? I've only played a few of the DQ games but, I'd say their evolution is pretty comparable to Pokemon's.
Because his avatar says "DQ has changed, Pokemon hasn't"

Suzzopher

Really enjoyed it. Disappointed in the lack of Black/White love as it's the first Pokemon I have bought since Pokemon Red.

Zzoram

Don't fix what ain't broke.

B/W do fix a lot of things like speeding up battles and inventory management stuff that needed work. I think the Pokemon formula is great though as it's accessible but has plenty of depth.

The argument that Parish makes that the game suggests you only use two Pokémon, it's clearly only for the beginning, and it's the right idea. If you throw filler into your party early on, you're just going to have a bunch of sacrifices that, even if you level them up some, you're only ultimately weakening your long-term Pokémon's potential.

Huff

Banned
Suzzopher said:
Really enjoyed it. Disappointed in the lack of Black/White love as it's the first Pokemon I have bought since Pokemon Red.

You're not burnt out on the formula. When you buy a game (or two) each pokemon gen with little to no gameplay change, it's like... why play this? I already have multiple times.

Suzzopher

BroHuffman said:
You're not burnt out on the formula. When you buy a game (or two) each pokemon gen with little to no gameplay change, it's like... why play this? I already have multiple times.

Ah cool, so it's burn out rather than being a not so great game? That's cool. I haven't started it yet as it's in my queue, behind DQVI, TO and Radiant Historia.

Huff

Banned
Suzzopher said:
Ah cool, so it's burn out rather than being a not so great game? That's cool. I haven't started it yet as it's in my queue, behind DQVI, TO and Radiant Historia.

It's burnt out while being annoyed at the small changes that barely make it different than the previous version. I haven't played Black/White yet, so maybe that will change.

StuBurns

Banned
In '99 there wasn't a franchise I liked more, now I struggle to think of one I loath more. People complain about Zelda and DQ not moving the needle enough with each iteration (and they don't), this is more like Madden, as Kat pointed out I believe. It's just the same thing every time. It's like a band where the first album was great, and with each release of practically the same record you saw through any semblance of creativity they ever had. Every time I get excited that the next one might provide something really fresh, that there might be a small number of well designed Pokemon that I have any sort of reaction to, they've failed every time.

Despite that, I enjoyed the episode, and although I don't favor the call in approach, it at least appears to be more enjoyable for Parish, he seems much more effervescent on these episodes.

Calcaneus

I'm very early into Black, and even though I haven't played one since Gold I can already feel myself getting into the old Pokemon rhythm. Which I guess could be tiring if you followed each gen, I probably wouldn't be as excited for this game if I had played HeartGold last year and Platinum a few years before that. Since its been 8 or 9 years since I've played (or paid attention to) Pokemon, I'm really enjoying coming back to the series.

I would like them to change things up on the 3DS, if not, then I don't see myself following each release.

Oh, and Pokemon Snap is the one of the best goddamn N64 games ever. Equally because the game is amazing, and because the N64 was a terrible console.

Top Bottom