• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal director Harry Krueger leaves Housemarque

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Bootlicking+howto_ce1b68_5387819.gif
Rebuttals aren't your strong suit.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't remember call on you;)
I guess that's what people do when they ask questions. Learn something new every day!

Through all this, do you actually have anything to add? I mean, you asked what PlayStation was doing. Clearly, they're doing stuff right when their financials look like they do and the biggest exclusive game on the platform just launched. One exiting member of a team they just acquired doesn't exactly paint a grim picture.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I’m sure From is very happy with how their wedding is going with Miyazaki. Krueger built Housemarque to be one of the most interesting and fresh devs out there. This is the darkest day for PlayStation. Krueger was showing us you could still gamble high production values and leftield non-mainstream ideas.

Language is a major barrier for most Japanese devs. Which is why its extremely rare to see them move outside their home nation.

For someone like Krueger, who is fluent in English, the success afforded by Returnal will have opened up tremendous opportunities internationally*. Frankly, in that position he'd be foolish not to take advantage of a literal chance of a lifetime to improve his and his family's lot.

The alternative being sinking another 4-5 years of his career into making a follow-up at Housemarque and hoping to maintain/build on that success... which even under ideal circumstances is never going to be a certainty.

Seriously dude, think about this stuff from the perspective of the individual concerned, not like they are just some corporate widget.

*His first job I believe was at Q-Games in Kyoto. So even Japan would be a possibility.

Fredrik

They’ve made games for a long long time, they’ll be fine without him.

That said, Returnal is my favorite Sony game so it’s still bad news. All I need to place it on my all time top 10 is a regular save system, save scumming through cloud storage is not an optimal solution.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ah! You almost got me. LOL! For a second I thought you were being serious.

Oh I am serious, I just don't know what else to add so I turned to humor.

While I still think it was a bomb, neither you or I can provide specific numbers on how much it cost to develop. I consider this judo match between us to be a draw...even though 560k copies sold after 3 months should have resulted in mass seppuku deaths at Housemarque. I guess it's a good thing it was a European studio.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Returnal was nice but I don’t think it’s in anyone’s top 5 lists it should be rewarded for the atmosphere, gameplay and I’m not opposed by the worlds but they need to collaborate with a BioWare, bungie or whomever and honor an open world and story.

nial

Gold Member
You guys can't seriously believe that Sony bought Housemarque because they didn't like their style of games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom