• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Shmunter

One of the things I'm having issues is clearly identifying sounds and visuals.
The sound of secondary fire recharge often gets drowned out. The sound effects are excellent but often not distinct enough.
Visually why would they include yellow projectiles which look like obolites which also fly at you? A few of the biome one enemies (tentacle dogs big and small) look too similar but luckily I got through that quickly
No way to switch off controller sound too and rout it to regular output. Unless you plug into the controller. They really dropping the ball on sound flexibility.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is awesome. I think Ill try to use othe Ps5 footage intead of twith for hte next boss...but this game is was so glitchy I couldnt get teh on board recorder to work right for biome 1. :(

I think you tried during the cutscene, it will not start during the cutscene. Also changed my preference in the menu so now one quick tap on the create makes a screenshot, hold to open create options, double tap to start/end recording (4K HDR or what you chose). Also you can make it like 60min recording in 1080p HDR then from create button you choose the whole 1 hour or a short clip from the latest gameplay.

Recording in PS5 is pretty awesome!

Bo_Hazem

Banned

1st biome "thorough" walkthrough (Press [CC] for hints and details)​

Took nearly 2 days on youtube to be processed in 4K HDR!

Should I make another one for 2nd biome (fresh start, no grind in the 1st biome)? Might as well show all the biomes if I can squeeze them in 1 hour (or make 2 parts if it's taking me longer)?

All with fresh starts, no grind but that means I'll still have access to places most can't due to the permanent suit augments.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I don’t know guys, may need to walk away for awhile. Got my ass kicked again at the end boss 1. But it’s entirely games fault, I equip random teleport the hell outa here thinking to use it when low on health but the game lockdown mechanic disables it. And I went in with a pistol to test it, which didn’t work all that well.

Fuck me seriously, these rules need to be more clear instead of fucking me over.

Apart from that why can’t I see previously visited area loot via world map. You strategically leave shit, but then you gotta run through an empty map to find it again, unless you bother remembering a dozen locations.

🤔

kyoji

I don’t know guys, may need to walk away for awhile. Got my ass kicked again at the end boss 1. But it’s entirely games fault, I equip random teleport the hell outa here thinking to use it when low on health but the game lockdown mechanic disables it. And I went in with a pistol to test it, which didn’t work all that well.

Fuck me seriously, these rules need to be more clear instead of fucking me over.

Apart from that why can’t I see previously visited area loot via world map. You strategically leave shit, but then you gotta run through an empty map to find it again, unless you bother remembering a dozen locations.

🤔
shoot the device that is causing the lockdown, its usually teathering protection on enemies, if u take out the device the door will unlock, you can retreat at that point if you were not ready for a big fight

wait do you mean the consumeable teleport? you were trying to use it while engaged with phriek?

Last edited:

McCarth

Happy Robert Redford GIF

Shmunter

shoot the device that is causing the lockdown, its usually teathering protection on enemies, if u take out the device the door will unlock, you can retreat at that point if you were not ready for a big fight

wait do you mean the consumeable teleport? you were trying to use it while engaged with phriek?
Yeah, that’s right

kyoji

Yeah, that’s right
Thats actually really clever idea, i never thought to try that. Unfortunately the random teleporter item is just for bonus room access, like the drop doors you find thru out exploring, So even if it did work it would just put you right back in the same spot you used it at once you looted the bonus room and warped out (in which case would be boss room, if it were to work).

Best thing to do on biome 1 is collect as much money as you can without taking obs from malignant stuff (unless you have a way to negate the possible malfunction) use the money to prioritize at fabricator astronaut (if available), large med pack, weapon dmg up, protection up, max health increase (i leave max health increase last if i have enough because in theory you should be already raising your hp while exploring the map if done correctly, 25%+ max integrity also normally cost the most to buy at fabricator). Whats really important is collecting as many artifacts as possible as those are always positive on your suit. if you can find repair eficiency artifacts and raise that atribute having even small health packs heal is far more effective.

Last but not least make sure you continue to swap weapons for something highee in level as youre raising proficiencys so that future chests will drop higher lvl weapons and hopefully its one that you prefer.

The pistol is actually not bad, the pistol that is found on the ground just before dropping to fight phriek below is what i used to defeat him for my very first time after dying with what i thought were better weapons.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Thats actually really clever idea, i never thought to try that. Unfortunately the random teleporter item is just for bonus room access, like the drop doors you find thru out exploring, So even if it did work it would just put you right back in the same spot you used it at once you looted the bonus room and warped out (in which case would be boss room, if it were to work).

Best thing to do on biome 1 is collect as much money as you can without taking obs from malignant stuff (unless you have a way to negate the possible malfunction) use the money to prioritize at fabricator astronaut (if available), large med pack, weapon dmg up, protection up, max health increase (i leave max health increase last if i have enough because in theory you should be already raising your hp while exploring the map if done correctly, 25%+ max integrity also normally cost the most to buy at fabricator). Whats really important is collecting as many artifacts as possible as those are always positive on your suit. if you can find repair eficiency artifacts and raise that atribute having even small health packs heal is far more effective.

Last but not least make sure you continue to swap weapons for something highee in level as youre raising proficiencys so that future chests will drop higher lvl weapons and hopefully its one that you prefer.

The pistol is actually not bad, the pistol that is found on the ground just before dropping to fight phriek below is what i used to defeat him for my very first time after dying with what i thought were better weapons.
Yep, thanks. Pretty much got most of that figured out, some new stuff. It’s just getting sabotaged on strategy pisses me off. I guess now I know, so won’t repeat the mistake. And that’s what the game is more or less about. But I was proficiency 5, kitted out, etc only to get hosed due to unforeseen restrictions.

Dr Bass

Don't stand still and shoot, always on the move with hip fire, try to use grapple as many as you can. Clear those flying robots fast, then engage the big robots. I died many times on biome 3 too, also when you died, never skip straight to biome 3. Always fully explore the previous biomes. That's how i beat this game. I have never ever won biome 3 or biome 6, if i skip the previous biomes. Always use ether on the machine near the helios. Hopes it help
Hey man, I've gotten far in Biome 3, I know not to stand still and shoot! :messenger_tongue:

And I spent a bunch of time building up in Biome 1 before getting there. Next time I might just have to try building up in 1 AND 2.

I also do the strategy of inching up to scope out a room before it closes, and trying to pull enemies towards the door ...

Just feel like I'm getting cheesed in that section in 3. I'll be even more cautious the next run.

Still missing one final cipher in biome 6.

I also notice on my PSN Activity Card it lists the area as only 82% complete and lists "Survive the Containment Area" as in progress. Does anyone know what this is referring to? I've already finished the game several times.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Still missing one final cipher in biome 6.

I also notice on my PSN Activity Card it lists the area as only 82% complete and lists "Survive the Containment Area" as in progress. Does anyone know what this is referring to? I've already finished the game several times.
This was the last one i was missing. Maybe the video helps you.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Finally got trophies for boss 2&3 today - weird, cause I already tried beating them twice, without unlocking the trophies. The "Finish Act 1" trophy is still bugged tho'..
Had my ultimate best run - totally stacked with suit mods and weapon with 3 lvl 2 perks. Pew Pew Pew!

What I love about this game is the more you play, the easier it feels - and I was struggling to begin with.

I swear this last cipher in biome 6 doesn't exist. I've been through it so many times now. I'm not even sure which it is I'm missing.

This close to the platinum, but the game is being an asshole.

Question if anyone knows. I read this on another site.

"Biome #6: There is one cipher in the Green lights room on the far left side & one more when you drop down deeper on the ledge with an integrity item."

Anyone know what he's talking about with the "drop deeper on the ledge with an integrity item" comment? I have a feeling this may be what I'm missing.

Last edited:

TwistedSyn

Just read this article and it has confirmed that we are getting more content for Returnal.

Fan and critical response to “Returnal” has been largely positive, with a sprinkling of criticism about design choices that could be addressed in downloadable updates.

• Housemarque is looking into improving the game’s limited save system, Haveri said, though they've not decided on the best approach to take.
  • The studio is focused on “new content and updates and fixes and stuff like that.” No details yet on the new content, alas.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I swear this last cipher in biome 6 doesn't exist. I've been through it so many times now. I'm not even sure which it is I'm missing.

This close to the platinum, but the game is being an asshole.

Question if anyone knows. I read this on another site.

"Biome #6: There is one cipher in the Green lights room on the far left side & one more when you drop down deeper on the ledge with an integrity item."

Anyone know what he's talking about with the "drop deeper on the ledge with an integrity item" comment? I have a feeling this may be what I'm missing.
I don’t think you are using the item. It’s the ledge with the item. You probably have to drop before the lights turn red and lock you out

I found the one I was missing. It was just a normal area near the start. It must be a bit rare.

I did recognize the room from a much earlier run, but I must have missed the cipher, as I wasn't watching carefully for them my first time through.

But platinum is complete. It's a relief. But, what an awesome game.

Dr Bass

I gave it another run. This time decided to build up throughout biome 1 and 2. Had almost double health. The hollowseeker built up how I like it. An astronaut. Stay buffs for defense.

I’m in biome 3 absolutely mowing enemies down. Im ready for a long run and willing to play for awhile. Im already in two hours deep just from building up.

I get to an area that has basically a three grapple distance to cover in the air. Nowhere to hide and draw enemies out. Immediately when I land the battle music starts and the flying drone guys come out and start pounding me. No problem, I am taking them out in return. Then I notice one of those big tanks guys coming at me, but I take him out too. But I’m still getting hit? I get killed and come back with the astronaut. I’m still getting massacred and I see enemies on the map but I’m swiveling around and see nothing.

I’m dead again.

the above took place in about less than ten seconds. I killed probably about 8 enemies in that time span yet more were there to take me out. And I was very very powered up.

This game is amazing but on the other hand it’s cheap. I am pretty decent at video games and am not sure I’ve experienced something quite like this. Where you just don’t see what you could have done differently to win really rather than win the luck of the draw. I don’t think this is good design. I see a lot of people here beating this but I am not sure why this seems to be happening and I certainly don’t have time for two hour build up runs to be ended in seconds because of random enemy placement that swarms the hell out of you with nowhere for you to go.

I think I might be done with this game. At least for awhile. It feels like a massive waste of time to do run after run and make zero real progress. The runs are just too long and I sorta have important things to do. Kind of a bummer as I think this game is practically a 10 otherwise.

tommib

Gold Member
I gave it another run. This time decided to build up throughout biome 1 and 2. Had almost double health. The hollowseeker built up how I like it. An astronaut. Stay buffs for defense.

I’m in biome 3 absolutely mowing enemies down. Im ready for a long run and willing to play for awhile. Im already in two hours deep just from building up.

I get to an area that has basically a three grapple distance to cover in the air. Nowhere to hide and draw enemies out. Immediately when I land the battle music starts and the flying drone guys come out and start pounding me. No problem, I am taking them out in return. Then I notice one of those big tanks guys coming at me, but I take him out too. But I’m still getting hit? I get killed and come back with the astronaut. I’m still getting massacred and I see enemies on the map but I’m swiveling around and see nothing.

I’m dead again.

the above took place in about less than ten seconds. I killed probably about 8 enemies in that time span yet more were there to take me out. And I was very very powered up.

This game is amazing but on the other hand it’s cheap. I am pretty decent at video games and am not sure I’ve experienced something quite like this. Where you just don’t see what you could have done differently to win really rather than win the luck of the draw. I don’t think this is good design. I see a lot of people here beating this but I am not sure why this seems to be happening and I certainly don’t have time for two hour build up runs to be ended in seconds because of random enemy placement that swarms the hell out of you with nowhere for you to go.

I think I might be done with this game. At least for awhile. It feels like a massive waste of time to do run after run and make zero real progress. The runs are just too long and I sorta have important things to do. Kind of a bummer as I think this game is practically a 10 otherwise.
Sorry to hear that mate. Biome 3 is indeed hell but all I can say is that it gets much, much easier after you pass it. Never stop moving, cheese them with doors, run, everything is acceptable on that world. Go for weapons that keep draining the enemy’s health after you’ve hit them and run around.

And take a break, yes. I took a brake because of a deleted save file and random crashes. And I’m playing much better now, go figure.

For people having crashes, disconnect the usb extended storage if you use any. It makes my game much more stable.

engstra

I was having such a good run through Biome 5 yesterday. The portal beam on hollowseeker is so fucking good. But then got to an area where the entrance was high up with no way of grappling back, the only thing to do was to enter a challenge area and got absolutely destroyed. Oh well....
Not sure if I think that the difficulty has increased significantly in this Biome but the enemies really feel like bulletsponges

Con-Z-epT

But then got to an area where the entrance was high up with no way of grappling back, the only thing to do was to enter a challenge area and got absolutely destroyed. Oh well....
This is the only challenge room you have to do. All others are optional.

Once you got all 3 keys in biome 5 you don't have to do this one again.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
This game is amazing but on the other hand it’s cheap.
The game sure ain't for everyone - and not beatable by anyone. It has taken me over 60 hours and multiple runthroughs to get comfortable in every biome.
I feel you when stating it's cheap, but I also know how much easier it gets the longer you practice - I think that's a design choice for the game - and I must say, I never hope it changes in Returnal.

Moonjt9

Just beat the final boss for the third time while gathering sun fragments. I think I can definitely say by this point that the electropylon driver is easily the best weapon. The amount of damage it puts out is insane. The huge enemies in biome 6 just melt away like butter. The rapid fire perk plus extended magazine on it does work.

Con-Z-epT

Just beat the final boss for the third time while gathering sun fragments. I think I can definitely say by this point that the electropylon driver is easily the best weapon. The amount of damage it puts out is insane. The huge enemies in biome 6 just melt away like butter. The rapid fire perk plus extended magazine on it does work.
And you don't have to face the enemies all the time. Makes evading a bit easier.

2AdEPT

OK Folks, Im generally a postiive person and forgiving of developers etc, but this time its too much....5hr + run on biome 4 and 5, killed the 4 boss first try.....and painstakingly acquired:

30 ether at times but spen it all down to 17 so I could get the insurance machine going on biome 5 as I knew this was going good and then cleansed malignancy to stay high enough health to upgrade suit to well over 200% despite sucking and losing lots of health to biome 5 enemies:

50% protection, which includes an upgrade I had never seen or heard of before i.e. 2 way radio links ether to protection and gave me +25
80% protection at low health (+30 but I saw the stat on there a cpouple times while getting used to enemies on biome 5)
+10 weapon damage at low health
plethora of artifacts including but limited to astro, robot (extends invincibility when hit), resin slots down to 2, shield on pick up resin, cocoon makes parasties better:

Parasites:
15% protection
25% iinegritty boost
low health regen and two others I cant rcall but they were good also...got the last one and had 2/3 keys minutes before:

CRAASH

Through no fault of my own the last two days of progress down the tubes

I actaully get that cloud save scumming is what they are tryiong to avoid but there has to be a better way...

fuck that sucked

edit: no I have no storage hook up
edit2: this has happened only twice in 50 hours of game play but htis last one hurts...that build was awesome and i doubt Ill be able to reproduce it...all that ether to pay the insurance broker on each level hurts also. still happy I beat the 3 and 4 bosses first try though as I have sucked so far at this game. I guess I can take a break and upload videos to you tube...I wasnt even going to try to use sharefactory with my run going...I was really careful and still this shit happens. ><

Last edited:

beck_

Its crazy how more powerful some weapons get when you unlock the better mods for it. Like the portal mod on the hollowseeker, that's insane and if I get that I usually don't change from it. I heard auto on rocket launcher is insane but not used that weapon much yet.

I beat the game, now just replaying to get the sun fragments. Just breezed through first 3 biomes and killed the 3rd boss to get to 4th biome. The game is so much easier when you learn the best tactics in handling groups of enemies and best weapons.

Amazing game, I was intending to sell it on after I get the secret ending but now Im keeping it for the DLC. Most addictive game I've played in a long time.

beck_

PSA.. If you can stack up on the artifacts/parasites that give you a chance to not lose consumables on use, do it! I had an amazing run with these. I could use a shield consumable 4 times, and these shields stack and stay on you! I never lost a health consumable on 1 use, always at least 2 uses which is massive on survival.

I think I had a 30% artifact and a 25% parasite helping me keep the consumables on use, amazing.

tommib

Gold Member
OK Folks, Im generally a postiive person and forgiving of developers etc, but this time its too much....5hr + run on biome 4 and 5, killed the 4 boss first try.....and painstakingly acquired:

30 ether at times but spen it all down to 17 so I could get the insurance machine going on biome 5 as I knew this was going good and then cleansed malignancy to stay high enough health to upgrade suit to well over 200% despite sucking and losing lots of health to biome 5 enemies:

50% protection, which includes an upgrade I had never seen or heard of before i.e. 2 way radio links ether to protection and gave me +25
80% protection at low health (+30 but I saw the stat on there a cpouple times while getting used to enemies on biome 5)
+10 weapon damage at low health
plethora of artifacts including but limited to astro, robot (extends invincibility when hit), resin slots down to 2, shield on pick up resin, cocoon makes parasties better:

Parasites:
15% protection
25% iinegritty boost
low health regen and two others I cant rcall but they were good also...got the last one and had 2/3 keys minutes before:

CRAASH

Through no fault of my own the last two days of progress down the tubes

I actaully get that cloud save scumming is what they are tryiong to avoid but there has to be a better way...

fuck that sucked

edit: no I have no storage hook up
edit2: this has happened only twice in 50 hours of game play but htis last one hurts...that build was awesome and i doubt Ill be able to reproduce it...all that ether to pay the insurance broker on each level hurts also. still happy I beat the 3 and 4 bosses first try though as I have sucked so far at this game. I guess I can take a break and upload videos to you tube...I wasnt even going to try to use sharefactory with my run going...I was really careful and still this shit happens. ><
That sounds heart-breaking, honestly. It happened to me as well several times, but never with builds as good as yours. I hope they're listening and are fixing the game quick. People will move on if the crashes continue and will get sour on the game.

Any ideas from the guys here about the crashes? What's making the whole system go berserk?

TAS

I'm currently working my way through the 3rd biome. This game is VERY hard but it's also incredibly satisfying to play so you feel compelled to keep trying. A true masterpiece and easily my GOTY. Returnal is clearly influenced by Metroid in many ways but it has created a sci-fi world so profound and unique in its own way, that I wish Retro would adopt this style (namely gameplay) for their next Metroid game. :messenger_hushed:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm in the 6th biome right now and... ho... ly... SHIT! No effin' way there's going to be another game this year which'll beat Returnal as my GOTY. It's just not gonna happen. What a fuckin' way to celebrate Metroid's 35th anniversary while Nintendo just don't give a fuck about it, the series and its legacy as a whole. Also, yeah, I think this style of gameplay can do wonders for Metroid games, minus bullet hell/shmup and rogue-like stuff. I really hope that guys at Retro are playing the game and taking notes. Maybe Metroid Prime series should be FPS adventure games still, be completely new 3D series maybe... yeah, I really want it to be more closer to Returnal gameplay-wise and in 3rd person.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
I'm in the 6th biome right now and... ho... ly... SHIT! No effin' way there's going to be another game this year which'll beat Returnal as my GOTY. It's just not gonna happen. What a fuckin' way to celebrate Metroid's 35th anniversary while Nintendo just don't give a fuck about it, the series and its legacy as a whole. Also, yeah, I think this style of gameplay can do wonders for Metroid games, minus bullet hell/shmup and rogue-like stuff. I really hope that guys at Retro are playing the game and taking notes. Maybe Metroid Prime series should be FPS adventure games still, be completely new 3D series maybe... yeah, I really want it to be more closer to Returnal gameplay-wise and in 3rd person.
It’s the Metroid Prime fix we all needed. We were starving for this.

Top Bottom