• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

tommib

I knew you were a man of taste!

Have you play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? I would also recommend that.

Also please report back when you play Ninja Gaiden since i consider to play it myself and i'm not sure yet.
Sure I did. When it came out. Loved it. We probably have similar taste.

What do you think of the Nioh games? I can’t get into them and honestly suck at them. I find them so hard. And I’ve beaten every single from software game since Demon’s Souls.

tommib

So this is what I have on my backlog to finish:

Miles Morales: it’s cute and all but the combat leaves me cold. I keep using the same tactics and get bored.

Judgement: I love it and the yakuza games. But there’s so little gameplay as always and the cutscenes - well I literally fall asleep.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered: probably the game I’ve played the most since Returnal. I love arcade racers and this is really good. I should just focus on this one.

Sackboy: I beat the last boss but now there’s extra stages and I need to find additional bubbles which bores me.

Metro Exodus: bought it, played it for 1 hour and think it’s so bad and uninspired. I’ll probably never get back to it. Waste of money.

Wreckfest: It’s nice but gets old fast. Not very dynamic.

Village: I hated it. Very little gameplay. Cutscenes are boring. I was trying the hard mode to see if I would like it more but no. I did finish on normal since it’s basically an on rails experience. The adoration for this baffles me. It’s even worst than RE6.

Sniper Elite 4: I almost finished it on series s and love it but I’m now mainly playing on PS5 and want to finish it there. Also a good bet for a post-Returnal experience.

Death Stranding: I got it a couple of months before getting the PS5 so I’m waiting for the PS5 version to continue. It’s ok. Boring, yes, but a lot of interesting ideas.

Titanfall 2: I was enjoying it but also dropped out half-way though after getting the PS5 to try all the next-gen games that I missed.

So, what should I focus on here? Yes, I wrote boring a lot. :(

Last edited:

tommib

So this is what I have on my backlog to finish:

Miles Morales: it’s cute and all but the combat leaves me cold. I keep using the same tactics and get bored.
Judgement: I love it and the yakuza games. But there’s so little gameplay as always and the cutscenes - well I literally fall asleep.
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered: probably the game I’ve played the most since Returnal. I love arcade racers and this is really good. I should just focus on this one.
Sackboy: I beat the last boss but now there’s extra stages and I need to find additional bubbles which bores me.
Metro Exodus: bought it, played it for 1 hour and think it’s so bad and uninspired. I’ll probably never get back to it. Waste of money.
Wreckfest: It’s nice but gets old fast. Not very dynamic.
Village: I hated it. Very little gameplay. Cutscenes are boring. I was trying the hard mode to see if I would like it more but no. I did finish on normal since it’s basically an on rails experience. The adoration for this baffles me. It’s even worst than RE6.
Sniper Elite 4: I almost finished it on series s and love it but I’m now mainly playing on PS5 and want to finish it there. Also a good bet for a post-Returnal experience.
Death Stranding: I got it a couple of months before getting the PS5 so I’m waiting for the PS5 version to continue. It’s ok. Boring, yes, but a lot of interesting ideas.
Titanfall 2: I was enjoying it but also dropped out half-way though after getting the PS5 to try all the next-gen games that I missed.

So, what should I focus on here? Yes, I wrote boring a lot. :(
Of course. Who am i talking to! :messenger_beaming:

Never played one of the Nioh games. Not sure why.
Don’t play them. I don’t think you’ll like them. They’re too obtuse.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
FF 7remake is also interesting as I never played any ff
If that's the case than go for Returnal. No offence to FF in general but you will find instant gratification with Returnal from the first minute whereas FFVII Remake definitely takes time to get used to.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I agree they need to find a way to cut down on crashes and updates wrecking runs. Saw a streamer last night who got really good RNG and was on his fisrt playthrough, had killed hyperion first try and clearred biome 5 and 6 on the same run, and destroying OPhion with only 25% of the 3rd phsae bar to go....game crashes on stream! He was speechless, chat didnt know what to say.....he was streaming for 10-hours straight and to have it end like that and not see the ending etc was hard to swallow for everyone.

Notwithstanding, the in game mechanic of not having cloud saves is important. Even though I know I should not save scum if I had the chance I would feel tempted. I jsut think they need to find a way to allow progress not to be lost somehow and differentiate between save scumming and illegitimate crashes? Is that even possible?

It's really to the detriment of the game and even House Marque themselves that they don't have some kind of save in this game. It's just fucking violently stupid really. It's one of the dumbest decisions I have ever seen in a game or really anything.

Used-ID

I don't think a game with 30-60 minute levels needs a save mechanic. Especially one designed where starting over is so entrenched in the game's story and design.

You come across as someone who feels that they are owed/entitled to things by content creators. The game shipped the way it did for a reason. I feel that you've never even played a game that can't be paused - as if you had, you'd understand that game creators have a vision for each game's story and mechanics which the game is built around.

Demanding a game designed around dying and restarting frequently include a save-state system is like trashing an RPG that makes you save at an inn instead of anywhere/anytime.

Maybe it's that I grew up on console games in the NES era that I feel this way.

Con-Z-epT

I don't think a game with 30-60 minute levels needs a save mechanic. Especially one designed where starting over is so entrenched in the game's story and design.

You come across as someone who feels that they are owed/entitled to things by content creators. The game shipped the way it did for a reason. I feel that you've never even played a game that can't be paused - as if you had, you'd understand that game creators have a vision for each game's story and mechanics which the game is built around.

Demanding a game designed around dying and restarting frequently include a save-state system is like trashing an RPG that makes you save at an inn instead of anywhere/anytime.

It is not the first time that someone in this thread says that this is such a "stupid" design decision whereas quite obvious that it was a full on conscious commitment from Housemarque.

It does add so much dread and urgency to the game that i also think you have to be quite ignorant to call for something like a save funktion since it goes completely against the core philosophie of what the game sets out to accomplish.

But in a time where handholding in video games is the norm and autosaves after every step is the way to go for most developers, so many seem to be offended by a wonderful game although it might not be for them.

Dr Bass

Completely agree after finishing it. A save system would make it worse.

Con-Z-epT

They are starting a new cycle. A new development cycle.

giphy.gif

Zimmy68

Completely agree after finishing it. A save system would make it worse.
Maybe, but have a setting for those that don't want to spend 30-45 minutes and lose progress. Have respect for my time. No one would force anyone to use it. Make the default no save, I don't care. But at least give me the option to manually save or checkpoints.
I ran across a mechanic I hadn't seen before. It was like AC Origins, you find a dead body and you can avenge them. I thought, what the heck let's give it a try.
All of a sudden this Boss level enemy comes out and one shots me.
I decided to check out a simple mechanic and lost 30 minutes of play time.
It makes me not want to play the game.

Used-ID

Maybe, but have a setting for those that don't want to spend 30-45 minutes and lose progress. Have respect for my time. No one would force anyone to use it. Make the default no save, I don't care. But at least give me the option to manually save or checkpoints.
I ran across a mechanic I hadn't seen before. It was like AC Origins, you find a dead body and you can avenge them. I thought, what the heck let's give it a try.
So in a game built entirely on dying frequently AND repeatedly, you're complaining that you died?

*pats heads* God bless you, you special person

Dr Bass

Losing 30 minutes isn’t a big deal to me. When did you start playing games? The game feels hard initially but isn’t as hard as NES era games.

I would have agreed with you before finishing it. After finishing it I changed my mind. Saving would have greatly cheapened the whole thing.

fallingdove

I can understand where you are coming from but I think the scenario you described creates a really interesting response that modern games have failed to produce — intense fear, dread, and triumph.

With most games, creators have tried to produce these responses using intimidating 'looking' enemies or ominous set-pieces, however, the enemies are easily disposed of and the game is back on its merry little cinematic way. With Returnal, you have so much to loose that encounters with the smallest of enemies create a regular cycle fear, dread, and triumph. Because of this, you are constantly optimizing risk/reward decision making and actually mastering what is, in my opinion, some of the smoothest gameplay mechanics out there.

With these design choices, there is sure to be much more frustration in the beginning of the game than in the end but I can't think of many higher highs that I have had playing video games than when I narrowly finished the 3rd and 6th bosses for the first times.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I guess people never grew up playing in the arcades huh?
*Some.. Even the 8BiT-era were totally dominated with no saves. 3 lives and occasionally 1-3 continues. Guess it's not everyone who's classically trained, lol.

I love the boldness in releasing a game that's not trying to be like any other game - and if that means *not for everyone* it's even cooler. Housemarque games has always been focused on the Git Gud players and I hope they continue down that road.

Con-Z-epT

*Some.. Even the 8BiT-era were totally dominated with no saves. 3 lives and occasionally 1-3 continues. Guess it's not everyone who's classically trained, lol.

I love the boldness in releasing a game that's not trying to be like any other game - and if that means *not for everyone* it's even cooler. Housemarque games has always been focused on the Git Gud players and I hope they continue down that road.
I just played through Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX and here we have continues now whereas in the original you had 3 lives and thats it.
All while being a tough game. I just played and played and played as a kid until the credits rolled.

It has become really uncommon for such practices.
Sadly overall but happy that there are still developers out there that do what they want without catering to everyone.

Con-Z-epT

Patch 1.4.1 is set to release on July 5th at Noon Helsinki Time (GMT +3).

Reminder that if you have the automatic updates turned on, the game will close while in rest mode in order to install the update.

Patch Notes:

• Platinum: "Atropian Survival", "Welcome Home", and "Sins of the Mother" Trophies can now be unlocked by replaying the Act 3 ending
  • Daily Challenge: Fixed a rare issue where players might be unable to complete a Daily Challenge in the Fractured Wastes
  • Daily Challenge: Fixed an occasional issue with incorrect loot spawning in the Daily Challenge
  • Fixed an issue which could cause save-game corruption in rare circumstances
  • Fixed an intermittent visual issue when scanning new items

nowhat

I've been Returnaling (hah!) to this now that work is easing up and I have more free time - got this at launch but didn't make it very far, because of a simple reason: I suck at it. Time to git gud I guess.

But every time I pick up a parasite/malignant item, I can't help but to be reminded of this clip:

After a long pause a started playing Returnal again, but still it kicks my ass.
Can't even get to the level 3 boss because of the suicide fuckers or the death arena before the boss.

Fuck I think I'll just admit that this isn't a game for me and continue playing Super Stardust Delta on PS Vita.

Con-Z-epT

After a long pause a started playing Returnal again, but still it kicks my ass.
Can't even get to the level 3 boss because of the suicide fuckers or the death arena before the boss.

Fuck I think I'll just admit that this isn't a game for me and continue playing Super Stardust Delta on PS Vita.
I think it is more do to your long break than your lack of skills.

Biome 3 sure isn't easy but once you got a good loadout it is not to hard overall.

Con-Z-epT

Do you think it's necessary to finish biome 1 and 2 before heading to biome 3's boss?
No it is not necessary but since your already struggling with the game i think it is not the best idea to leave these biomes behind without a good scavenge.

If you are planning to do this i suggest to complete either biome 1 or 2 in hope to find a really powerful weapon.

At least that's what i did later on. I cleared biome 4 and left 5 behind. It is doable with a good weapon but most of the time it makes the game significantly harder.

Used-ID

I agree. Look for something with a perk that homes in on enemies and/or does damage over time. Then it's just hit & run & hit & hide until they die.

If you get the hollowseeker with punch through you can actually kill enemies from the floor below, and with the damage-over-time perk on top of that.... It's cheesy easy - as long as you don't get stupid and rush in.

The problem of playing games with Finnish language is that I have no idea what Hollowseeker is for an example 😅
I shouldn't choose Finnish in any games because it makes it really hard to look for trophies, walkthroughs, items etc. from the internet haha.

1185822129.jpg

Con-Z-epT

The problem of playing games with Finnish language is that I have no idea what Hollowseeker is for an example 😅
I shouldn't choose Finnish in any games because it makes it really hard to look for trophies, walkthroughs, items etc. from the internet haha.
Don't forget the hungarians! :messenger_beaming:

dragon = sárkány

G-Bus

Banned
Well I finally beat Phrike last night. 2nd biome got a few new items and full health. Few rooms in and I'm surrounded by a unch of guys that were only spawning 1 at a time in biome 1. Wrecked my shit before I could even turn around.

Stopped playing after that. Not ready to uninstall it yet but holy hell this game is not forgiving at all. Yea yea git gud. Fuckin hell

Top Bottom