• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews - WWE 2K23 - Finally a great modern wrestling game?

Bragr

Banned
2H2gizo.jpg

It's been a while since I wanted to play a WWE game, but this looks solid.

"WWE 2K23 successfully builds upon the foundations laid down by its predecessor. While it’s still far from the best pro-wrestling game out there, it’s the only one we really get with a modern roster anymore. With that caveat in mind, however, WWE 2K23 remains a blast to play. It’s got a great roster, a host of new features and match types, and its new take on the MyRise career mode is incredibly fun." - Gamingbolt

7tMUB4u.jpg

dTMqDqB.jpg

7ehzsFv.jpg

WWE23-WEBSITE-MODULE3-SKU-ICON-WWE23.jpg

stone-cold-steve-austin-beer-bash.gif

Last edited:

Bond007

I enjoyed the last one and it was a step in the right direction. Hoping this builds on that.
It was my first wrestling game in years as im still stuck in the N64 era mentality.

nikos

Used to be obsessed with wrestling back in the day. I only watch a PPV here and there now.

That said, the legends roster looks good and the PC version is current gen.

Gonna pick it up and check it out.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Is it actually good or have we been so deprived that we overrated a decent game?
That's what I think. People said the same thing about WWE 2K22 and imo it was just alright. Mainly because I felt like the moves lacked and impact and the campaign lacked soul. Even the Rey Mysterio campaign, although interesting just jumped from one fight to the next and I was able to get through that relatively vely quickly.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think everyone played wrestling on N64 lol. I dont know why. But that was the last time I was invested as well.
Lol our favorite pastime was WCW/NWO Revenge 32-man battle royal with 4 players. We gave all the wrestlers disgusting + obscene names so every time someone ran out to the ring we’d all be cracking up.

Never even played a wrestling game after that though. Might have to give this a shot.

norm9

I'm tempted based on hype and the fact that the last WWE game I played was 2k16 which was free on games with gold.

These games never feel right to play, did they actually fix the combat or is it still loosey-goosey?

This right here. WWE games have some really shitty combat overall. There's a weird mix of mini games, qte type events, and that Finishers don't actually finish anyone. The only wrestling combat I do like is Firepro. It's simple and to the point.

GladiusFrog

Game is as buggy as last year, A lot of crashing and new features that don't work.

However it looks good and GM mode is fun imo.

Also the Create A Wrestler is the best it's ever been, no other wrestling game comes close to the CAW mode 2k has.

With that said, I'm really hoping this game comes along and kicks some ass:

Last edited:
These games never feel right to play, did they actually fix the combat or is it still loosey-goosey?
Last years game was the closest in combat terms I’ve felt it to the N64 AKI games. It was slow and methodical not a button mash / reverse button spam like the last 20 years of Smackdown games.

This years seems like building on that solid foundation with more content and a decent graphical polish up. I’ll probably grab it in it’s first sale for $40.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

WWE 2K23 reviewed by Jarrett Green on PlayStation 5, also available on PlayStation 4, Xbox, and PC.

Whether you want to experience a TV-inspired story of young wrestling talent rising to glory or take a guided tour of John Cena's most humbling moments, WWE 2K23 is worth pinning down. It’s at least incrementally better in almost every way from last year’s entry in that combat feels more rewarding, flexible, and consequential. Where it overachieves, like in MyGM, it starts to finally restore the feeling that we could be on the ramp watching a new golden age of pro wrestling games make its glorious entrance.
The WWE 2K23 video game has improved combat system, sound, lighting effects, and an expanded payback system. The single-player mode, My Rise, comprises two stories with focused and clear objectives and a guided tour of challenging moments in a wrestler's career. Consequently, the reviewer concludes that WWE 2K23 is a solid wrestling game deserving of its top position.

jm89

These games always look like a chore to play.
You mean interms of combat? Since 2k22 it's has gone more arcadey and is alot more fun to play imo, 2k19 was more simulation focused maybe did feel like a chore, but being more simluation focused had it's own fun.

Top Bottom