• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rex Tillerson spurns $80m to fight Russian disinformation b/c it might anger Russia

chadskin

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is resisting the pleas of State Department officials to spend nearly $80 million allocated by Congress for fighting terrorist propaganda and Russian disinformation.

It is highly unusual for a Cabinet secretary to turn down money for his department. But more than five months into his tenure, Tillerson has not issued a simple request for the money earmarked for the State Department’s Global Engagement Center, $60 million of which is now parked at the Pentagon. Another $19.8 million sits untouched at the State Department as Tillerson’s aides reject calls from career diplomats and members of Congress to put the money to work against America’s adversaries.

The $60 million will expire on Sept. 30 if not transferred to State by then, current and former State Department officials told POLITICO.

The struggle over the money is a case study in Tillerson’s approach to managing the State Department and the frustration it is engendering among American diplomats. Current and former U.S. officials call it the latest example of a severe slowdown in department decision-making; of Tillerson’s reliance on a coterie of political aides who distrust State’s career staffers; and a casualty of President Donald Trump’s intention to slash State's budget, which has Tillerson looking for ways to reshape the department and spend less money, not more.

Sources cited another sensitive factor at play: Russia. One Tillerson aide, R.C. Hammond, suggested the money is unwelcome because any extra funding for programs to counter Russian media influence would anger Moscow, according to a former senior State Department official.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/02/tillerson-isis-russia-propaganda-241218

Don't anger Russia, guys. Just don't.

They might annex neighbouring countries, help Middle East dictators gas their own people, have proxies fire on civilian airliners, corrupt your politicians with secret bribes and hack your national elections, or deploy a hundred thousand troops to your allies' borders.

Just lie back, close your eyes and think of the orphans.

you mean to tell me the former head of a company just finded for violating sanctions with a country while he was in charge of it, doesnt want to anger that country in his new position of power?

next youll tell me we shouldnt get someone who hates public education to run public education

ericexpo

Running lean. This time next year state department won't even have a budget, mostly cause we will be a Russian state but no more of money going to waste

kmax

President-Putin-and-Secretary-of-State-Rex-Tillerson.jpg

At least he's loyal one way.

Hm, Russia may indeed be angered if Rex spends money to fight them spreading misinformation - which they don't, if Putin is to be believed.

cameron

Further stalling the request were staffing shifts among Tillerson's top aides. Eventually, the officials' request reached Hammond, a former public relations professional who served as a spokesman for Newt Gingrich’s 2012 presidential campaign. At the State Department, Hammond serves as a spokesman for Tillerson—but is also a member of the department’s policy planning staff, making decisions on substantive issues.

Hammond threw up objections to the request on multiple fronts, the former senior State official said. Hammond indicated to officials involved with the Global Engagement Center that with the department facing potential budget and staffing cuts, it didn't make sense to take an infusion of new funds, the former senior State official said. Hammond also questioned why the U.S. doesn’t ask other governments, particularly in Muslim countries, to play a larger role in the information battle.

Hammond further expressed hesitation about needling the Russians at a time when Tillerson was trying to find common ground with the Kremlin on sensitive matters such as the war in Syria. The Kremlin-backed news outlet Sputnik has compared the Global Engagement Center to George Orwell’s Ministry of Truth.

"Hammond said the secretary is in the process of working through disagreements with Russia, and this is not consistent with what we're trying to do," the former senior State official said.
That's cute.

Taking a page out of the EU playbook.

nIZPwon.gif

jelly

I briefly thought Tillerson might actually do his job.

Really, it was clear why he is there, sanctions. I'm surprised he has kept his head down this long, I suppose he has to be quite shifty and clever to lead one of those oil companies and do dodgy deals.

Zolo

Really, it was clear why he is there, sanctions. I'm surprised he has kept his head down this long, I suppose he has to be quite shifty and clever to lead one of those oil companies and do dodgy deals.

Tillerson's pretty much what Trump voters thought Trump is. A self-made man who earned his position and is actually fairly intelligent.

Top Bottom