• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard Donner dies at 91

VulcanRaven

Richard Donner, the prolific Hollywood director and producer whose helming credits include some of the most iconic movies of the 1970s and ’80s including the Christopher Reeve-starring Superman, The Goonies and the Mel Gibson-Danny Glover buddy cop series Lethal Weapon, has died. He was 91.

Donner died Monday, according to his wife, the producer Lauren Schuler Donner, and his business manager. No cause of death has been revealed.

The Bronx-born Donner started his career directing for television, like his film credits a laundry list of staple shows including Route 66, The Rifleman, The Twilight Zone, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Gilligan’s Island, Perry Mason and The Wild Wild West. After his debut feature, the 1968 crime comedy Salt & Pepper starring Sammy Davis Jr. and Peter Lawford, Donner segued to films full time with 1976’s spooky The Omen.

That led to 1978’s Superman, the original superhero movie that starred Reeve as the Man of Steel along with Margot Kidder and Gene Hackman. The blockbuster with a budget of about $55 million grossed more than $300 million at the global box office.

RIP

He directed the best Superman movie:

He had plans to direct Lethal Weapon 5. He talked about it last year:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
the goonies film GIF

T8SC

Gold Member
RIP.

Such a shame, with the rumours of a Lethal Weapon 5 circulating with both Mel, Danny & Richard attached, it could've been a nostalgic blast. I doubt it'll happen now. His legacy will live on though through some classic movies.

Aggelos

He also gave us one of the greatest GAF memes of all time:
Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

My thoughts exactly. Had it not been for Richard Donner and Assassins (1995 film), we wouldn't have had one of the greatest gifs in the age of internet forums and social media. Truly an amazing internet meme with Banderas reacting over his laptop screen (from the film Assassins). Nothing can top such a reaction.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My thoughts exactly. Had it not been for Richard Donner and Assassins (1995 film), we wouldn't have had one of the greatest gifs in the age of internet forums and social media. Truly an amazing internet meme with Banderas reacting over his laptop screen (from the film Assassins). Nothing can't top such a reaction.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

shuhei-yoshida-does-the-antonio-banderas-gif

Mossybrew

I have no thoughts on Richard Donner, but man, living to 91 just seems crazy to me. You mean I could potentially still live for 40+ years? Unfathomable.

RavageX

The guy was behind many of my still fav movies. 91? Good long life and it sounds like he was still mentally sharp? Nice.

Setzer

RIP to a legendary Director. I was fortunate to grow up in the 80's and The Goonies & Superman were both a big part of my childhood.

MacReady13

Massive part of my childhood. The Goonies. Lethal Weapon films. Superman. The Omen. Even his amazing Twilight Zone episode Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is iconic. Such a versatile director. He will be sorely missed.

Top Bottom