• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Ricky Gervais) Brent's Back Trailer - Comic Relief Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonNite

kTkuG27.png

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmfGE1R5lQ

Comedian Ricky Gervais is bringing back The Office's David Brent for Comic Relief.

He will reprise his role as the former manager of Slough paper merchants Wernham Hogg, in The Office Revisited, for Red Nose Day on 15 March.

It has been 10 years since Gervais has been seen on British TV as David Brent.

"I thought it was time to revisit my most famous comedy creation to find out what he's been up to for the last decade," Gervais told The Sun.

The character has appeared in two episodes of the American version of The Office but was last seen on British TV in a two-part Christmas special in 2003.

David Brent will be seen starting a new career as a talent manager in the music industry, as he tries to help urban solo artist Dom Johnson secure his big break.

A trailer for the mini-episode shows Gervais strumming a guitar to Brent's new protest song Equality Street.

"He is passing on his wisdom to younger would-be rock stars now. Well, really he is trying to worm his way back into rock and roll," said Gervais.

Gervais tweeted a promotional picture for the song and says the episode will show the self-funded video to the song which he describes as "horrendous".

"Fans of The Office will be excited to know we finally get to hear the whole of The Serpent Who Guards the Gates of Hell," he added.

Brent has funded his new sideline as an impresario by selling cleaning products as a door-to-door salesman.

and before the arguments start, yes he is the better David Brent.

Oh and I love bloopers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfWlw4RLqMQ

Laranja

I love Gervais to death, but was disappointed by the one Derek episode I watched and feared Gervais had lost his touch. Now he's rehashing an old character. Please tell me he's still got it, guys!

Oh, well. The trailer's funny, especially the part when he's playing the guitar. I'm looking forward to this!

Empty

hopefully it's not terrible.

i can't really stand ricky anymore, as far as i'm concerned him and david brent have sort of merged into nearly the same person. this feels like when brent did that shit stand-up gig for the new employees, all his new jokes bomb, so he returns to this one impression that people laughed at back in the day but doesn't work anymore.

hopefully it's not terrible.

i can't really stand ricky anymore, as far as i'm concerned him and david brent have sort of merged into nearly the same person. this feels like when brent did that shit stand-up gig for the new employees, all his new jokes bomb, so he returns to this one impression that people laughed at back in the day but doesn't work anymore.

The merger's result is some bizarre character not quite Gervais but not quite Brent. When Gervais does Brent nowadays (or any comedy for that matter), it bears similarities to his past work but feels a bit off putting, like he's doing an impression of himself. It's really bizarre.

hahah awesome.

I'm seriously watching The Office right now. The training episode where he brings his guitar.
Look, racial... so...

Bo-Locks

Greatest sitcom of all time, imo, and that won't change, regardless of the spin-offs or how annoying Ricky has become.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He was on the American version of The Office? I must look that up.
He cameo'd in a tag for an episode where he interacted with Michael Scott and later he showed up on a video interview when they were looking for replacements for Michael.

It was a total of maybe 40 seconds of Ricky.

SteveWD40

I have a love hate thing with Gervais. I love so much of what he has done, mainly introducing the world to Karl Pilkington, but I can't stand his "being an atheist makes me clever" routine or his sycophantic pandering to so called worthy US comedians (Gary Shandling etc...).

Oh and that Talking Funny show should have had Dave Chappelle instead of Seinfeld, I mean there's Ricky slagging off "low brow observational comedians" (McIntyre and Kay I assume) and he is sitting with Jerry fucking Seinfeld?!?

Hindle

Banned
I finished watching The Office recently and it's just classic. I don't think he will ever beat it in anything he does.

His career has gone downhill since he made Life's Too short IMO so I reckon he may make another series.

For what it's worth, Ricky Gervais actually used to be a music agent (he managed the Brit-Rock band, Suede) so hopefully it'll have that tragically realistic element that the office had.

Wilbur

Banned
Good shit. Brent is such a good comic creation.

The training day episode in Series One is the most perfect half hour of television ever created.

EliCash

Somehow I fell that he owes a great deal of his success to Karl pilkinton.

I fail to see how this could be the case. The majority of what made Ricky big preceded Karl's fame, back when Karl was only known to XFM listeners. I suppose he's the only good thing about Derek but Ricky still deserves a good portion of the credit, Karl wouldn't do anything if Ricky didn't make him.

Oh and that Talking Funny show should have had Dave Chappelle instead of Seinfeld, I mean there's Ricky slagging off "low brow observational comedians" (McIntyre and Kay I assume) and he is sitting with Jerry fucking Seinfeld?!?

Yes, do you not realize that Seinfeld's a god to everyone that was there? Well, I'm not entirely sure about Chris Rock, but to Ricky and Louis. McIntyre and Kay in the same sentence as Seinfeld hurts. Seinfeld isn't a "low brow observational comedian".

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
One of the best characters ever conceived, as evident by the fact the character is sold around and imitated.

But Gervais pulls it off perfectly, so much better than anyone else.

Wilbur

Banned
The bit about Trevor McDonald and the gays kissing in the Equality Street video coupled with Brent's face was just fucking great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom