• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Office (UK) - David Brent: Life on the Road Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVexperto

Hopefully we will get an The Office (US) movie soon!

Variety
Ricky Gervais' most enduring creation hits the road for one last attempt at cracking showbiz, in a funny if meandering big-screen adventure.

Gervais has stated that this is “not an ‘Office’ film”, and insofar as none of his Wernham-Hogg paper-supplier colleagues are involved, it isn’t.

It’s a recipe for humor and conflict which, judging by the home-turf success of other recent theatrical transplants of U.K. sitcoms — namely this year’s “Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie” and “Dad’s Army” — should have no trouble connecting with the original show’s sizable fanbase.

The Guardian
Fans of The Office will enjoy seeing the sitcom’s shabby antihero again, as he tours his pop band towards inevitable disaster, but it’s a patchy comic reunion

IGN:
Life on the Road is 30-minutes of funny trapped in a 90-minute feature, the film filled with laughs, but also padding and a few too many jokes that fall flat. David Brent is still an engaging character, but at times he just seems mean-spirited, and without the the support of The Office's brilliant cast of supporting characters, both Brent – and the film – quickly outstay their welcome.

The Hollywood Reporter
Consequently, much of Life on the Road feels like the debut solo album by the lead singer of a once successful band, who is now surrounded by paid session musicians unwilling to challenge the boss over his substandard, self-indulgent coasting. Which, ironically, is pretty much the plot of this film. David Brent remains an enduring comic grotesque, but this sporadically amusing big-screen resurrection is more cash-in reunion tour than killer comeback album.

Did you actually see the movie or do you just not like Ricky Gervais? Be honest now.
Saw it in cinema when it came out in UK. The THR review is on point with my opinion, it's a cash-in reunion. I like Ricky, not sure where you got that impression :/

Kayhan

Saw it in cinema when it came out in UK. The THR review is on point with my opinion, it's a cash-in reunion. I like Ricky, not sure where you got that impression :/

I didn't particularly got that impression it is just Ricky seems to piss some people off.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't particularly got that impression it is just Ricky seems to piss some people off.

Ricky has kind of disappeared up his own arse but it's obvious with this film that he really needs Stephen Merchant to be a part of it as well. I just don't think Ricky is generally that good on his own and it's not just this film either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom