• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Grammy Award Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

For anyone that cares, they just updated the nominees for their categories of the next ceremony.

Album of the Year:
Adele – 25
Beyonce – Lemonade
Justin Bieber – Purpose
Drake – Views
Sturgill Simpson – A Sailor’s Guide to Earth

Song of the Year:
Beyonce – “Formation”
Adele – “Hello
Mike Posner – “I Took A Pill in Ibiza”
Justin Bieber – “Love Yourself”
Lukas Graham – “7 Years”

Record of the Year:
Adele – “Hello”
Beyonce – “Formation”
Lukas Graham – “7 Years”
Rihanna featuring Drake – “Work”
Twenty One Pilots – “Stressed Out”

Best New Artist:
Chance the Rapper
The Chainsmokers
Anderson .Paak
Kelsea Ballerini
Maren Morris

Best Pop Vocal Album:
25 — Adele
Purpose — Justin Bieber
Dangerous Woman — Ariana Grande
Confident — Demi Lovato
This Is Acting — Sia

Best Rock Album:
California — Blink-182
Tell Me I’m Pretty — Cage The Elephant
Magma — Gojira
Death Of A Bachelor — Panic! At The Disco
Weezer — Weezer

Best Alternative Music Album:
22, A Million — Bon Iver
Blackstar — David Bowie
The Hope Six Demolition Project — PJ Harvey
Post Pop Depression — Iggy Pop
A Moon Shaped Pool — Radiohead

Best Urban Contemporary Album:
Lemonade — Beyoncé
Ology — Gallant
We Are King — KING
Malibu — Anderson .Paak
Anti — Rihanna

Best Rap Album:
Coloring Book — Chance The Rapper
And The Anonymous Nobody — De La Soul
Major Key — DJ Khaled
Views — Drake
Blank Face LP — ScHoolboy Q
The Life Of Pablo — Kanye West

The rest here:
http://www.grammy.com/nominees

hughesta

Banned
Wow fucking horrendous list

Views being nominated for AOTY but not TLOP just about sums up what a sham the Grammys are.

Hope Weezer wins best rock album
Hope Megadeth wins best performance
No way Blackstar doesn't win something.
Post Pop Depression is amazing so that deserves best alternative win too.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Trabslation: this has been a pretty bad year for music.

If you are in charge of nominating things for grammy's.

This year has been pretty incredible for music if you're not 80 years old and trying to hit target demographics for television ratings and advertising dollars.

1035867.gif

Nabs

Chance is winning, no doubt. It's just popular to say you like him right now.

No hate or anything. I'd rather it go to Chance than Chainsmokers.

Gojira is still around?
Havent thought about that band in like 10 years. Good for them. The album with the whale cover was pretty good

I have a a question about the new artist category. How new do you have to be?

- Must have released a minimum of five singles/tracks or one album, but no more than 30 singles/tracks or three albums.

- May not have entered into this category more than three times, including as a performing member of an established group.

- Must have achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and impacted the musical landscape during the eligibility period.

Nabs

Best Urban Contemporary Album:
Lemonade — Beyoncé
Ology — Gallant
We Are King — KING
Malibu — Anderson .Paak
Anti — Rihanna

Yikes. This is stacked.

Kusagari

Chance is winning, no doubt. It's just popular to say you like him right now.

No hate or anything. I'd rather it go to Chance than Chainsmokers.

Drake's winning best rap album and the rapper never gets best new artist unless they're Macklemore.

still an old term that has been around for a while.

I've been really into music for a long time and I've never heard it. I get it though. It's basically a way to lump "colored music" into one catergory. It seems very archaic to me, especially for a new award like this, but also I don't care. I don't think I've watched a Grammy awards show since the mid-90's.

Arc

The Grammy's are dumb. Views is terrible.

Weezer and Blink getting the rock nom with Green Day getting snubbed is interesting, the Grammy's have loved Green Day in the past.

It's not his best, but that's on the standard of his work imo. Still think it should have gotten an AotY nom. Especially over Views.
Never listened to Views since I'm not really into Drake but I kinda personally feel that Coloring Book was kinda weak but maybe it's just the stylistic change that's so off putting to me since I love Acid Rap. I'll probably give it another spin and try to listen to it with less prejudice but I'm just really not feeling the gospel style thing.
The Grammy's are dumb. Views is terrible.

Weezer and Blink getting the rock nom with Green Day getting snubbed is interesting, the Grammy's have loved Green Day in the past.
Weezer's White Album is top 3 in terms of their discography if not top 2 so it's really not surprising, it definitely deserves a win here.

Song of the year and record of the year being different categories is pretty silly. Especially since "Work" got nominated for record of the year. What real contribution by the producers and mixers made it worthy of a nod here? The song is very repetitive. If Drake and Rihanna weren't on the song it wouldn't have been on the radio period.

Adele is gonna win big this year.

Floridian

Song of the year and record of the year being different categories is pretty silly. Especially since "Work" got nominated for record of the year. What real contribution by the producers and mixers made it worthy of a nod here? The song is very repetitive. If Drake and Rihanna weren't on the song it wouldn't have been on the radio period.

Adele is gonna win big this year.

Work turned out to be a 9 week #1 on the charts and is pretty memorable imo so that has a reason. It's just a really effective catchy song.

DarkWish

Sweet! My favorite group Pentatonix is nominated for their third Grammy! They won for their last two nominations, so let's see if they win this time as well. Though it's in a different category this time, for their cover of "Jolene" with Dolly Parton for Best Country Duo/Group Performance.

SJRB

Gold Member
Bowie not even nominated for album of the year is ridiculous.

Song of the Year: "I took a pill in Ibiza" - are you fucking serious bro?

If Anderson.Paak doesn't win new artist, the Grammys are broke. Dude has been on EVERYTHING this year

Views doesn't deserve anything

Ye better win Rap album

Biebs for AOTY based on those

I've been really into music for a long time and I've never heard it. I get it though. It's basically a way to lump "colored music" into one catergory. It seems very archaic to me, especially for a new award like this, but also I don't care. I don't think I've watched a Grammy awards show since the mid-90's.

Actually, it's to separate modern, hip-hop influenced R&B from what they consider classic R&B. These are the nominees for best R&B album:

In My Mind - BJ The Chicago Kid

Lalah Hathaway Live - Lalah Hathaway

Velvet Portraits - Terrace Martin

Healing Season - Mint Condition

Smoove Jones - Mya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom