• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Grammy Award Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

How is A Seat on the Table now AOTY worthy? Like who the hell made up this list. It's basically a popularity contest at this point.

spelen

Best Urban Contemporary Album:
Lemonade — Beyoncé
Ology — Gallant
We Are King — KING
Malibu — Anderson .Paak
Anti — Rihanna

ology being in their puts a smile on my face

conpfreak

Really shocked at the lack of Margo Price nominations. That seems like a major oversight. Anderson Paak not nominated nearly enough -- disappointing. Probably mentioned but Frank Ocean was not eligible. He opted not to submit Blonde or Endless for consideration apparently (so stupid you have to manually do this -- just fucking nominate music if it's good you assholes).

Only 1 for Solange seems criminal. No Angel Olsen either which was a bit surprising to me. Lots of others I'd have liked to see but some that I felt were locks even by the Grammys standards were simply overlooked.

I think Frank Ocean would have pulled his name if they did it automatically given his reasoning for not submitting. After seeing these nominations, I can't say he was too far off with his criticism. The Grammys really seems to be a mainstream music awards with little regard to actual musicianship. While the Grammys isn't as whitewashed as Frank Ocean claims, it's much better than the Oscars when it comes to managing to nominating diverse acts. The issue with the Grammys is that they often nominate popular albums/singles with little merit other than hype and get the big awards wrong, snubbing more deserving nominees.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
wow, absolutely shocked to see Gojira nominated for best rock album haha. wasn't a huge fan of Magma, but I love Gojira.

edit:

also i couldn't be happier for the guys in periphery getting nominated for best metal performance. i remember when i posted on SMNnews and Misha would post there all the time, specifically on the btbam board, and they were totally unknown back then. To see how far they've come in the last 7-8 years has been really cool.

Revolver

Outta those 5 it's deffo my AOTY (no shade to Lemonade).

Say what you want about his big mouth, but Sturgill's been making amazing music for the last few years and this is his best album yet.

Yeah, I think it's his best too. I won't be shocked if he gets it but the reaction would be something.

Really shocked at the lack of Margo Price nominations. That seems like a major oversight.

That one is a head scratcher. Figured she was a lock for something.

Kaladin

The biggest shock is Sturgill Simpson getting an Album of The Year nom, the album was great, but it's surprising that he's their left field pick this year.

It has legit shook the country music media world.

wow, absolutely shocked to see Gojira nominated for best rock album haha. wasn't a huge fan of Magma, but I love Gojira.

edit:

also i couldn't be happier for the guys in periphery getting nominated for best metal performance. i remember when i posted on SMNnews and Misha would post there all the time, specifically on the btbam board, and they were totally unknown back then. To see how far they've come in the last 7-8 years has been really cool.

This year and last year have been fairly decent for metal in terms of nominations. Lamb Of God was nominated last year though they lost to Ghost.

marrec

Banned
The biggest shock is Sturgill Simpson getting an Album of The Year nom, the album was great, but it's surprising that he's their left field pick this year.

It has legit shook the country music media world.

I think it's odd that he gets the spotlight over Robbie Fulks, who I think is the better all around musician. I can't hate though cause I love his two last albums and A Sailor's Guide to Earth is my in top 5 this year. (Fulks is in my top 10 tho)

dmshaposv

Usual trash suspects.

I was really hoping the left field AOTY wouldve been blackstar by bowie or A Moon shaped pool by radiohead.

MANUELF

Banned
How is A Seat on the Table now AOTY worthy? Like who the hell made up this list. It's basically a popularity contest at this point.
Solange album?
It was released in October wasnt it?
If so is not eligible for This year

PS: Adele will sweep with these nominations

jon_i634

Banned
Best Alternative Music Album:
22, A Million — Bon Iver
Blackstar — David Bowie
The Hope Six Demolition Project — PJ Harvey
Post Pop Depression — Iggy Pop
A Moon Shaped Pool — Radiohead

Alternative music surprisingly stacked, wow. Every album here is pretty good to fantastic. Bowie is probably gonna win, but I wouldn't be mad with any of these, really.

Alternative music surprisingly stacked, wow. Every album here is pretty good to fantastic. Bowie is probably gonna win, but I wouldn't be mad with any of these, really.
Yeah, some really great picks here which is why I'm not upset about the AOTY, ROTY,SOTY stuff. You all know those categories are always trash so why bother getting upset, besides Grammy's are meaningless outside of improved record sales.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Views and Purpose are not worthy of even being mentioned for AOTY. Blackstar, Coloring Book, A Moon Shaped Pool, The Life of Pablo, Anti and plenty more.

jon_i634

Banned
Yeah, some really great picks here which is why I'm not upset about the AOTY, ROTY,SOTY stuff. You all know those categories are always trash so why bother getting upset, besides Grammy's are meaningless outside of improved record sales.

Oh yeah, totally agree. Just nice to see names like PJ Harvey and Iggy Pop get some attention where they normally wouldn't.

Oh yeah, totally agree. Just nice to see names like PJ Harvey and Iggy Pop get some attention where they normally wouldn't.
I feel you, Iggy Pop especially. I think Post Pop Depression is an amazing album and I'm really glad it's getting some recognition whether it wins or not. It's really a shame that Iggy wants it to be his last because that lineup is stellar.

Kaladin

I think it's odd that he gets the spotlight over Robbie Fulks, who I think is the better all around musician. I can't hate though cause I love his two last albums and A Sailor's Guide to Earth is my in top 5 this year. (Fulks is in my top 10 tho)

Sturgill gets the spotlight because he blew up. He's been selling out venues of every size for years now. It seems like every year he's playing larger and larger places and still selling them out.

Well this list is atrociously bad. This has been an amazing year for music and this is the best they could come up with?

But happy to see Gojira get a grammy nomination. Don't know how they get grouped in "rock" along with Panic at The Disco and Blink 182 lol

Revolver

Views and Purpose are not worthy of even being mentioned for AOTY. Blackstar, Coloring Book, A Moon Shaped Pool, The Life of Pablo, Anti and plenty more.

Those two are taking up spots that should have went elsewhere. Sure, Purpose is Bieber's best, but not AoTY worthy imo and Views is just not good.

Ivan 3414

I hope Views get rap album of the year and album of the year so these awards will be thoroughly discredited.

You must be new to the Grammys.

Edit: Also surprised Sturgill got a nomination. Wasn't his career supposed to be over after he trashed the country music industry or something?

This happens every year. The cut off for the Grammy's is September 30th. Green Day released in October.

You should, it's a really cool album, I hope you like it more the next time!

Ah that would explain the lack of A Tribe Called Quest. That album was too good to get snubbed by anything.

MIMIC

Banned
Beyonce – “Formation”
Adele – “Hello
Mike Posner – “I Took A Pill in Ibiza”
Justin Bieber – “Love Yourself”
Lukas Graham – “7 Years”

I think this is the first time I can recite the lyrics to ALL of the song of the year nominees, lol

legend166

What's the difference between song of the year and record of the year? Record, to me, sounds like it should be an album of the year type thing, but then single tracks are listed.

I can't remember which is which, but one goes to the singer and one goes to the production team behind the song.

Edit: I was half right:

- Record of the Year is awarded for a single or for one track from an album. This award goes to the performing artist, the producer, recording engineer and/or mixer for that song. In this sense, "record" means a particular recorded song, not its composition or an album of songs.

- Song of the Year is also awarded for a single or individual track, but the recipient of this award is the songwriter who actually wrote the lyrics and/or melodies to the song. Thus, "song" in this context means the song as composed, not its recording.

RDreamer

Good god these lists are awful. Blackstar deserves to win vs any of this crap.

I'm sad the Bon Iver album won't win because Blackstar exists

I'm sad the new Bon Iver isn't as good as anything else he's put out. He's a bit carried away on the effects and it's really hurting his music, in my opinion. Do away with the helium voices next time, man.

Kaladin

Sturgill Simpson just put out this shirt in honor of his Grammy nomination:

sturgillsimpson_whothefuckissturgilltee_1100.jpg.jpeg

I kinda want one.

Nibiru

Banned
So bad. I don't think even they think the music these people are putting out is actually good anymore. They just nominate the same big names so they show up to the awards and hopefully do something lewd or make a controversial political message that can go viral on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom