• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime is 3 years old today!

sublimit

Banned
rime-game-icon-png-7.png

Three years ago this gem came out. It was easily one of the most memorable experiences of this gen for me along with games like Bloodborne,The Last Guardian,The Witcher 3 and others. I really hope Tequila Works will try to do something similar in the future!

Happy birthday Rime!

MiguelItUp

As someone that worked on the publishing team, this means a lot to me, and I know the rest of the teams would feel the same. We were so happy to work with Tequila Works and on Rime. We didn't have too many projects under our belt, but a lot of us really fell in love with Rime, and it quickly became our favorite. The style, the concept, the music, everything. It flew under quite a bit of radars, and we expected that. However, seeing the impact it made on a lot of people really meant/means a lot to all of us. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Was this game good? I always see it and wonder if I should bother or not. Is it basically a puzzle game?

sublimit

Banned
As someone that worked on the publishing team, this means a lot to me, and I know the rest of the teams would feel the same. We were so happy to work with Tequila Works and on Rime. We didn't have too many projects under our belt, but a lot of us really fell in love with Rime, and it quickly became our favorite. The style, the concept, the music, everything. It flew under quite a bit of radars, and we expected that. However, seeing the impact it made on a lot of people really meant a lot to all of us. :messenger_heart:
I really hope Tequila will make something in the same vein as Rime in the future because games like this are really missing from this industry IMO. And when i say "games like this" i mean games that feel 100% genuine and ones that really have something to say. Sadly games like Ico,Journey,The Last Guardian and Rime come only once in a generation. But maybe it's better that way because it makes those games feel all the more special.

MiguelItUp

I really hope Tequila will make something in the same vein as Rime in the future because games like this are really missing from this industry IMO. And when i say "games like this" i mean games that feel 100% genuine and ones that really have something to say. Sadly games like Ico,Journey,The Last Guardian and Rime come only once in a generation. But maybe it's better that way because it makes those games feel all the more special.
Agreed! I totally know what you mean, they were all so invested in it, and it showed several times over. It didn't take long at all for our team to feel that love and passion as well. I wholeheartedly agree!

tritone

Neo Member
I bought this game a while back with high expectations, and I'm sure it'd be the type of game I'd love to play through. But, I'm a gaming heretic in that I prefer to invert the x- and y-axes for my controller settings...and Rime didn't have that option. So I passed it along to a friend. Oh well.

93xfan

Banned
I was so hyped for this game from the trailer, but the controls, frame rate and overall experience wasn’t that intriguing for me. Maybe I need to give it a third try

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
As someone that worked on the publishing team, this means a lot to me, and I know the rest of the teams would feel the same. We were so happy to work with Tequila Works and on Rime. We didn't have too many projects under our belt, but a lot of us really fell in love with Rime, and it quickly became our favorite. The style, the concept, the music, everything. It flew under quite a bit of radars, and we expected that. However, seeing the impact it made on a lot of people really meant/means a lot to all of us. :messenger_heart:

This game was one of the first Indie-type games I tried on Game Pass. I never bothered with indies before (except Ori). I fell in love with the game and have since tried a ton of indies thanks to Game Pass and am now a big indie fan.

DonF

So I'm in the giant bird that haunts you part and I'm loving the game.
Too bad that it has really bad frame drops, at least on PS4 pro.
I'm going to keep playing for sure. Great game thus far

Played it when it was a PS+ offering and it was okay. Simplistic in scope but I wasn't frustrated or disappointed by what it sought to be, just stuck wishing it had sought to do more.

Comparatively I'd consider it a step below (but similar to) games like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Journey. At least it's better than both Oure and ABZU.

Shmunter

What happened to Sony deal? Unless I’m mistaken this was to be a PS4 exclusive?

MiguelItUp

I actually think at one point in development it was planned to be a PS4 exclusive. All I know is by the time we were publishing it, it was multi platform. PS4, XB1, and PC right out the gate. Not long after we heard about the Switch version. At least we being the Community Team, haha.

I forgot about this game. I was interested but it came out when I was working a lot and I ended up missing it.

I'll have to go see if I already own it.

It's included with Gamepass including on PC! Looks like I'll finally play this!

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Great that more can experience it, but bad management by Sony. Same deal with What remains of Edith Finch.

Hugely creative, Sony style games. STEP IT IP SONY, diversity, artistry, momentum!
Sony actually just didn't like how the game was progressing and shutdown development, but they let Tequila keep the IP and all of the assets, work, etc. Pretty cool on Sony's part if you think about it. I must admit, after spending a few hours with it, it's pretty good! but I can see why Sony cancelled it. It doesn't have that level of polish I expect in a 2nd party game.

sublimit

Banned
Sony actually just didn't like how the game was progressing and shutdown development, but they let Tequila keep the IP and all of the assets, work, etc.
If i remember correctly at some point when the game was still relatively early in development they didn't managed to meet Sony's requirements so Sony stopped the funding of the project. They didn't shutdown development that was something that only Tequila could decide.
Thankfully they restructured the project and continued with its development.I remember reading a developer interview who was saying that this was a very tough time for the team.

but I can see why Sony cancelled it. It doesn't have that level of polish I expect in a 2nd party game.
I'm pretty sure that what Sony saw at that time when they decided to stop the funding and what we saw years later as a finished game are two completely different things.

I still think that Sony fucked up though and failed to see the game's true potential and missed on a very good opportunity to have another critically acclaimed exclusive in their portfolio. But as others have said maybe it was better that way since more people played it and by being multiplatform the game received less hate from anti-Sony fanboys.

Grinchy

Banned
The visual style had me so hyped around the time the PS4 came out.

By the time they made it a free game for PS+ and I finally tried it out, it felt a little stiff and old fashioned. It just didn't really do it for me.

sublimit

Banned
sublimit sublimit do you have any suggestions to add to the above list?
From the games in your list i've only played Journey and it's a game that i loved and just like Rime i felt that it really had something to say and that it could have only been said through video game format. Same goes for Rime.
But i can't comment about the rest yet (i have Inside and Little Nightmares in my backlog).

Personally I'd put both Rime and Journey in the same group as Ico and The Last Guardian.

Last edited:
From the games in your list i've only played Journey and it's a game that i loved and just like Rime i felt that it really had something to say and that it could have only been said through video game format. Same goes for Rime.
But i can't comment about the rest yet (i have Inside and Little Nightmares in my backlog).

Personally I'd put both Rime and Journey in the same group as Ico and The Last Guardian.
U need to play Gris and arise. Both emotional beautiful experiences . Before inside or little nightmares As these 2 are great but not emotional experiences like Gris and arise

MiguelItUp

It still pains me that the performance couldn't be severely improved across various consoles, especially on the Switch. I spoke to our devs repeatedly about optimization and ways we could improve performance. But at that point in development TW was so far along that in order to truly improve performance they'd practically have to start from scratch, so at the time it really didn't seem feasible. :pie_pensive:

Again, I'm so glad that people are still in love with it, and others are still interested. It's always wonderful to see. :pie_smiling_hearts:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Loved Rime. A slow burn of a game, super slow at points yes, but at those times I just basked in the detail and artistry of the game. Really beautiful and impactful story which makes the entire experience so worth-while. And the soundtrack :messenger_heart::messenger_heart::messenger_heart::messenger_heart::messenger_heart::messenger_heart::messenger_heart::messenger_heart:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I saw yesterday that Rime is one of the Game Pass quests to earn MS reward points. Very cool, I didn't think this game was still available on GP since I played it a long time ago. I think I'll have to play it again after I finish Wasteland 2.

Top Bottom