• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rimworld - Establish a colony on an AI-driven frontier planet

Very interested in this game now.... Are there events like megabeasts etc from DF in it? Capturing them and putting them at the bottom of a giant prisoner hole were always my favourite part of the game.

Mikeside

User comment, not from the article

Ahh fair play.
My comment extends to a large selection of the community on the site, to be fair.

Such a shame, as RPS was my go-to for several years. I still visit, but I find myself agreeing with less and less of the opinions presented on the site as they get more and more negative.

Maybe I'm just biased because I don't like John Walker.

Ahh fair play.
My comment extends to a large selection of the community on the site, to be fair.
Yeah, they love this game on RPS. The review has an amazing story of the writer's colony

And I'm like the total opposite. RPS is the main gaming site I frequent. They cover a good mix of AAA and indie games, and their articles are always interesting to read

Ahh fair play.

Such a shame, as RPS was my go-to for several years. I still visit, but I find myself agreeing with less and less of the opinions presented on the site as they get more and more negative.

Maybe I'm just biased because I don't like John Walker.

Don't like him at all either, but dont let his negativity, arrogance and lack of respect for anything that isn't 100% catered to him get to you. RPS does a very good job covering games like Rimworld, and might be the best source for articles about this and similiar games.

Interesting info on the upcoming features and potential future elements of the game, from the recent AMA

On drugs:
The next feature set we're working on is a more holistic system of drugs. Currently the game just has beer, but that's always been a little piece of what wants to be a more rounded simulation of drug psychology, physical effects, economy and addiction. I was also looking at the drug system in Fallout and remarking on how simple but effective it is. It's something distinct to more gritty (sorry) modern and sci-fi settings.

The drug system will simulate a variety of drugs (some real, some fictional) like beer, marijuana, malaria blockers, hi-tech combat enhancers and cocaine. Colonists may turn to drugs to cope with stress, especially if they have "chemical fascination". Addictions will form and withdrawal will hit if the supply is cut off. Colonists might go on drug binges. The player can assign a schedule of drugs to colonists (similar to the current outfits system) to keep colonist popping the right pills on a regular basis.

The player can, of course, overuse this system or avoid it entirely - I'm looking forward to seeing what new kinds of stories this can create.

We've also got another big feature in the pipe, but that one I want to keep unannounced for now since I'm not yet sure how it'll work.

Ok, yes, that's a joke. But do you have any outlandish features in the back of your head than you and Ludeon studios might try to add one day?
I have a 40-page document of outlandish features. Semi-insane psycerors with psychic powers, generated randomized killing machines with weird abilities, religious conflict inside the colony, running a kidnap and ransom business... I write it all down :)

Is there life in the Rimworld universe that doesn't ultimately come from earth?
As it stands, every creature ultimately originates from Earth, or is engineered from an Earth creature, or is created by some piece of human or post-human civilization.

However, that doesn't mean you couldn't encounter extremely exotic beings. Once you posit the presence of hyper-intelligent Dyson-spheric entities in the universe, who can create basically anything, you've opened the door to all manner of post-humans, fighting and exploring machines, bio-mechanical creatures, and so on. Stuff way weirder than Klingons or that snail guy from Mos Eisley.

The game hasn't really plumbed these depths because we just haven't had time, but they're all possible.

Atomski

This game is amazing btw sad not more people are talking about it.

Makes me really want to try DF but man the asci art just scares me away.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I started playing this after hearing about it on Idle Thumbs. Cool game.

Been watching Northernlion (probably best known for his Binding of Isaac videos) play this on his YouTube channel & it's very entertaining. Game seems nerve-wracking, though. :p

Yeah, they love this game on RPS. The review has an amazing story of the writer's colony

And I'm like the total opposite. RPS is the main gaming site I frequent. They cover a good mix of AAA and indie games, and their articles are always interesting to read
I like almost all of their writers, but their comments sections are genuinely awful. Just the weirdest blend of snobbery and concerted efforts to be above absolutely everything.

Tentative feature list for Alpha 15, which is now in the unstable branch on Steam:
Tutorial

• Added new rich tutorial with step-by-step instructions.
  • Tutorial teaches the basics of setting up a game, building a small self-sustaining colony, and defeating the first
  • raider.
  • Tutorial locks out irrelevant controls and highlights relevant controls.
  • At the end of the tutorial, the player can continue the game with a normal storyteller.

Learning helper

• Added new learning helper system to replace yellow pop-up messages and yellow learning alerts.
  • Learning helper sits in the top right of the screen. If something happens relating to a concept the player hasn’t learned, that lesson will be activated and shown on the learning helper. It can then be opened and read. Lessons are automatically marked as learned when the player does the necessary interaction, and can be marked as learned manually. Lessons are shown as needed by circumstance, or on a slow timer. The overall idea is that you’ll never be shown a lesson you already know, but always be shown the lessons you need to know now.
  • Learning helper can be expanded and searched for any lesson, so you can look up how to do a specific thing at any time.

Drugs system
  • Added new drugs system. It’s not just beer any more!
  • Drugs typically create up to four effects:
    • High – The valuable short-term effect, whether it improves mood or work focus or combat effectiveness.
    • Overdose – Excessive drug usage in a short time can build up blood toxicity, leading to unconsciousness and possible death.
    • Tolerance – Long-term usage of a drug can build up a tolerance which makes subsequent usage less and less effective in producing the high.
    • Addiction – Drug use can form an addiction. This generates a new need for the drug which the pawn will try to feed regularly. If the need isn’t fed, the pawn will develop withdrawal symptoms (low mood, reduced consciousness). Eventually withdrawal will pass and the addiction will go away.
  • Drugs can be assigned for regular taking through the drug policy system. Similar to Outfits, drug policies are an assigned schedule for taking drugs. You can set any number of drugs, each with a frequency. For example, you can assign a colonist to drink 2 beers every day, and take one Malari-Block every 5 days.
  • The drugs are:
    • Beer – Improved mood but worsened capacities. Addictive.
    • Malari-block – Prevents malaria infection for 5 days.
    • Yayo – Stimulant pleasure drug, addictive.
    • Crack – Cheap, short high, very addictive.
    • Amphetamines – Improves work performance, addictive.
    • Marijuana – Improved mood but worsened capacitives. Can form dependence.
    • Go-Juice – Synthetic futuristic combat drug. Boost speed and fighting capacity tremendously. Addictive.[/indent]
  • Drugs are produced in various ways, typically at the new Drug Lab building, from various precursor chemicals and growable crops. They require research to create.

Deep drilling

• The map now spawns with clusters of underground resources. These can be accessed by building a deep scanner to find them, and then building deep drills on top of them, and then working the drills. This slowly produces the resource.
  • Deep drilling tech is at the end of the tech tree. This should mitigate late-game resource exhaustion problems.

Misc
  • Added passive cooler building. Made of wood and low tech, it cools a room for a short time. Good for passing heat waves as a tribe.
  • Added a ‘copy building’ tool which lets you quickly select the designator for a building through an existing copy of that building.
  • Beer production now takes several stages: Colonists make wort (unfermented beer) at the brewer table, then leave it in fermenting barrels for a while, after which they can harvest it as beer.
  • Infestation can now only spawn under a thick roof.
  • Gear tab now shows aggregate stats about armor and comfy temperatures.
  • Raider steal a bit more often now.
  • Factored MapGeneratorDef apart into separate GenStepDefs which can be modded or inserted individually. This will allow modders to change the MapGenerator without blowing away each others’ changes.
  • Added alert: Need warm clothes.
  • Mods can now be dragged to reorder them in the mods page.
  • Re-tuned food finding algorithm.
  • Hunters will no longer hunt without a ranged weapon.
  • Debuffed corn a bit.
  • Reworked trade interface to clearly state what kind of trader they are, and to list items they’re not willing to trade.
  • Reworked trader stock generators so traders carry and accept more sensible items for their type.
  • You can now request traders by calling allied factions. It costs silver.
  • Chance to spring known traps is reduced from 2.5% to 0.4%.
  • Friendly fire chances reduced by 60%.
  • Added a message when food spoils in storage.
  • Fix: Pawns don’t get ‘catharsis’ mood gainer thought after a mental break.
  • Rename PDW to Machine pistol.
  • Torches and campfires are no longer destroyed near-instantly by rain/snow. They instead consume fuel faster.
  • Torches consume fuel a bit faster overall.
  • Fueled generator consumes fuel faster and holds less fuel.
  • Plant sow and harvest are now slower.
  • Debuffed fists.
  • Reduced volume of idle animal calls at high time speeds.
  • Smithing is now a prerequisite for Machining research.
  • Added a toggleable view that shows roofs in glowing green.
  • Hundreds of other balance changes, text fixes, redesigns, and bug fixes.

[Source]
No ETA on a full release yet, unfortunately.

ike_

Oooh, I like these two a lot.
- Chance to spring known traps is reduced from 2.5% to 0.4%.
- Friendly fire chances reduced by 60%.

And it's going to be a little weird being able to whip up Amphetamines and Malari-block but still not being able to craft plain old medicine. But only being able to trade for medicine does keep it interesting.

Purkake4

Banned
Tentative feature list for Alpha 15, which is now in the unstable branch on Steam:

No ETA on a full release yet, unfortunately.
Nice timing. The drugs stuff sounds really interesting, I hope they'll add a few more mundane drugs like painkillers, anti-nausea stuff, etc. I can't count the number of times people are super stressed because of (chronic) pain and whatnot.

I do hope that they'll expand on the current systems as well. I feel that melee is still kind of trash. I'd also like to see the animal training be a tree with different options like hunting/hauling/guarding/comfort instead of just a straight line, so you can have your comfort alpacas inside while your vicious guard alpacas guard the base.

Also more cybernetics (just rip off shadowrun, cmon) and maybe some experimental surgery for really high medicine skill.

Roshin

Been watching Northernlion (probably best known for his Binding of Isaac videos) play this on his YouTube channel & it's very entertaining. Game seems nerve-wracking, though. :p

I would suggest to watch Quill18's playthrough instead. NL is utter rubbish at the game, but Quill18 actually takes a serious stab at it.

Re: New features. I would like to see linked maps, ie being able to leave your map and enter another one, or being able to dig down or build up.

Raist

Banned
Guess the A15 should drop anytime soon now.

Really love the game. I'm quite surprised it's not more popular on GAF. I'm thinking of doing a screen-based Let's Play, with people signing up for being represented in the game, a bit like what was done for Xcom by several gaffers a few times. Could be fun, considering the strong focus on characters development and stuff.

cyress8

Banned
Why you guys not tell me that this game is fucking good. I bought this and Deux Ex the other day. Played Deus Ex for alittle bit, but when I started this game. I've just sat here and played it non-stop.

I learned the hard why this game is going to be good during my first hour. My first death came so fucking unexpectedly from rocks collapsing while clearing out rooms in a mountain.
First WOW moment in a fucking long time.

Games like this, that have some actual depth feel so good to play. This was a palate cleanser after dealing with the weak gameplay of NMS.

Why you guys not tell me that this game is fucking good. I bought this and Deux Ex the other day. Played Deus Ex for alittle bit, but when I started this game. I've just sat here and played it non-stop.

I learned the hard why this game is going to be good during my first hour. My first death came so fucking unexpectedly from rocks collapsing while clearing out rooms in a mountain.
First WOW moment in a fucking long time.

Games like this, that have some actual depth feel so good to play. This was a palate cleanser after dealing with the weak gameplay of NMS.
Come over to this thread. That's where the most recent discussion is going
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246809

Raist

Banned
Come over to this thread. That's where the most recent discussion is going
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246809

TBH, I think this game deserves a proper OT (so either convert an existing one or make a new one) because as it stands, either this or the other thread read like they're minor updates or something that concern a game barely anyone knows about. So I'd assume that, on the rare occasion this or the other thread pop up on the first page, people most likely don't even bother clicking on it to see what it's about.

Purkake4

Banned
TBH, I think this game deserves a proper OT (so either convert an existing one or make a new one) because as it stands, either this or the other thread read like they're minor updates or something that concern a game barely anyone knows about. So I'd assume that, on the rare occasion this or the other thread pop up on the first page, people most likely don't even bother clicking on it to see what it's about.
We need to heal the schism that has torn this community apart.

r1chard

Amazing story from reddit user match_:
I swear, this game just... I dunno, I want to say "sucks", but it's not that. I just lost a colony that was just getting over the hump and starting to look like I could make it to the mid game. Then the boars went mad...

I had an old crazy deaf woman named Shigeko that was just wonderful with animals. I rarely saw her fail a training session. Makes sense I guess, nobody else understood her. She also was a badass brawler with a gladius. Both of my sniper rifles came from her ambushing the former owners, chopped the neck clean off of one. (I'm not sure how you chop off someone's neck, but that's the story she told.)

But her real gift was art. She worked stock in such a way that left you speechless once it was done with you. She may have been old and deaf, but her work was that of a chattering youth. Her mood took a darker turn after the death of Rosarita, a husky puppy that showed much promise. Rosarita's only crime was to be brave in the hall outside of the prison during an attempted break. Rosarita's broken little body was laid to rest in a beautiful sarcophagus made by her master's loving hands.

The next day the crazy old deaf woman turned 79 and developed Dementia. It was then she was commissioned to turn out her greatest work in marble. I don't know how much time she had left and so devoted all of it to the massive sculpture. She would from time to time lapse into a daze and wander the rooms for a bit, mumbling something indiscernible. We had to take away her weapon away for our own safety, we all knew what she was capable of and no one wanted to be on the receiving end if she went off the deep end.

With less than 500 units of work left on her sculpture, she lapsed once again- this would be the last time. She wandered away from her unfinished masterpiece. A few hours later, we heard the raid alarm- mad boars, nine of them coming in from the southwest. We all took cover inside and realized someone was missing. It was Shigeko, of course. She had wandered beyond the Western wall and was dead in the path of the rampaging boars, unarmed.

A decision had to be made- leave her out there and hope there was something to rescue after the boars passed, or set up a diversion and rescue her now. There wasn't much choice, everyone was already moving toward the door to save this woman who already had one foot in the grave. Dr. Lovegood took the task of restraining Shigeko and take her back inside. The rest would target the boars and draw them off to allow a retreat. The Doc should have enough time, I'm pretty sure there is going to be some blood spilled on this one, but we've survived worse.

The boars turn the corner and the two snipers open up on them. Douglas one-shots one of the boars, it's down. Dillon hits his as well and it veers in his direction. A third triggers a trap and is immediately cut down. Macey tags a couple with her pistol and ducks behind the wall. She's hurt but she's safe, for now. Then it happens, Shigeko freaks the shit out when Dr Lovegood grabs her. She cold-cocks the doc right there. She turns at the rest of us as if she is one of them, a wild boar ready to destroy us all. She goes after Macy with the remainder of the boars in tow. The plan is going to pieces. We scramble to regroup and save ourselves but the boars are faster. Strangely they leave the shigeko alone and beeline on the rest of us, tusks already bloody, but not bloody enough, I suppose.

Half of the boars are down now, but we are all hurt and I don't think we are going to make it back. I see Shigeko now, she is down as well with a few bullets in her. I don't know if Macy shot her on purpose or if she just got caught in the crossfire, but she is moaning and saying something. I see the boar before he sees me. I try to raise my shotgun, but realize my arm is no longer attached. Well that just sucks. The boar turns his mad eyes and sees me now. As it bears down on me, I realize what Shigeko is saying...

"I can tame them... I can tame them all!!!"

tl;dr crazy animal artist goes mad, colony gets eaten by boars

Jennings

Is anybody playing Rimworld Console Edition that released earlier today? Wondering how the controller UI holds up.

Top Bottom