• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rings of Power Season 2 Trailer Released

Sonik

I don't care what you haters say, people seem absolutely pumped for the new season!

5399jY6.png

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The less I say the about the first season the better. The only redeeming factor was the S1 GAF thread where we (well most of us) could collectively share in the pain.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The thing I do like about these is that you can tell Amazon is throwing all the money at it. Some of these set pieces look quite nice.

killatopak

Gold Member
Honestly never finished watching the first season so I doubt I’ll watch this one. I stopped when I my father stopped asking me to watch it with him which was my last reason for watching the show. I think I made it until the point where the elf guy got captured and they were showing the numenor city.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I’m in the minority here as I didnt mind the first season. It wasn’t perfect and the ending was super stupid but it was enjoyable I think

This one looks better imo as well. I’ll give it a chance.

I liked it too, even though it felt like it was not quite what it could have been. I think this might be one of the rare instances where subsequent seasons are actually better.

Halo season 2 was interesting......almost like a different show from.season 1. Still decent though, if you can detach the game from the show in your mind.
The problem is I can't do that. Based on everything I saw and read from season 2 I would not like it and probably angered me how they basically hand-wave the Fall of Reach. If it was like a spinoff show or something with its own story that would be different. The only thing they seemed to improve imo was Chief. He is much less emotionally unstable and has moments that remind me of the actual character.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked it too, even though it felt like it was not quite what it could have been. I think this might be one of the rare instances where subsequent seasons are actually better.
This show would need a pivot more extreme than the ABSOLUTE most divergent s1 to s2 I can think of, that old War of the World's show which went from conspiracy intrigue
9UUq5mt.jpeg

To full on post apocalyptic chaos in season 2
zrCgzb0.jpeg

Was the most crazy thing on TV in the late 1980s :)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The problem is I can't do that. Based on everything I saw and read from season 2 I would not like it and probably angered me how they basically hand-wave the Fall of Reach. If it was like a spinoff show or something with its own story that would be different. The only thing they seemed to improve imo was Chief. He is much less emotionally unstable and has moments that remind me of the actual character.

Maybe, but I wager eventually curiosity will get the better of you and you will cave. I don't see the show as deep enough to care if MC is unstable or not, but I did like how they sort of surprised me by not going all cookie cutter with season 2. Maybe wait for season 3 that way if you hate 2 you can just move on to 3! 😀

ZehDon

Yep, that still looks like Rings of Power. Legitimately one of the least engaging TV Shows I've ever struggled through.

They started Season 2 before Season 1 had finished airing, so unless they spent a fortune on re-shoots, they wouldn't have enough time to actually address the issues.

ahtlas7

I get up this morning and hit first thing with Asscreed news and now this shit?! I’m going back to bed!

Sleepwalker

OMG, they got Eminem on the show. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What's wrong, Dark Lord? Got thee in dismay?
This elf called Eminel's here to slay.

The shadow in the darkest of night,
With his Eye watchin', longing for might.
This one's a conqueror? Named Sauron, they say,
But a mere Maia once, led astray.

He dwells in the depths of the dreaded Mordor,
His grip on power grows evermore.
But beware his origins, let it be known,
For Annatar he was once, his true self shown.

His real name's Annatar, a deceiver's guise,
Once dwelt in Valinor under starlit skies.
Yet now he prowls, in darkness he roams,
A fallen Maia, with a darkness to own.

And though he reigns, with power to boast,
He once dwelt in Valinor's host.
A deceiver's guise, a fallen crown,
Sauron, the Dark Lord, destined to drown.

8 Mile Eminem GIF by SBS Movies

Calling this show fan fiction is an insult to fan fiction.
The only thing we will get is another season full of excellent meme :messenger_winking:
"Give me the meat and give it to me raw" :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
If you hate watch, make sure you watch a pirate. Let’s not give those idiots views.
Technically you burn their server time if you watch, assuming you are already subscribed anyway. And they'd likely have to pay more residuals or whatever now, after the strikes, right? Shit, leave it on endless repeat and bleed 'em dry :p

Just give it a low review, that is enough to turn away the filthy casuals we sacrificed our time for :p

GreenAlien

Looks good... but what this show needed was a reboot with new producers & writers, not a sequel. They salted the earth with S1.

Lambogenie

Without hating for just shits and giggles, there were bits in season1 that were okay. But it was often outweighed by a lot of boring stuff ESPECIALLY with the characters that were most boring (the Hobbits and the Elf man's romance). The Sauron stuff was a bit cringe, but it felt anime so I was aight with it. Visually I thought there was something very off, and the obvious diversity casting was obvious. Generally, casting was the weakest aspect giving me massive reason not to continue.

9Nb7Hqx.png

Goddamn the ratio is bruuuutal. 70k likes and 331k dislikes.
tbf these are just nerd bots. Video has 4 times as many votes than other trailers with the same views.

First season was so bad I wont be watching season 2 unless it gets stellar reviews.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Technically you burn their server time if you watch, assuming you are already subscribed anyway. And they'd likely have to pay more residuals or whatever now, after the strikes, right? Shit, leave it on endless repeat and bleed 'em dry :p

Just give it a low review, that is enough to turn away the filthy casuals we sacrificed our time for :p

They love a good engagement metric. Amazon is driven by that shit. Best thing you can possibly do is not have it on at all.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I forgot about that. I know elves are amazing and stuff but that was too much.
That the showrunners sat in a room and actually had this discussion:

"So, how are we gonna have Galadriel and Sau.....errr Halbrand meet? It has to feel totally organic and natural so NO ONE suspects!"

"Well, what if they meet by accident, like Halbrand is involved in a 5 chariot pile-up on the road to Barad-ur?"

"Props for using a name I sorta recognize, but we only have the budget for 4 chariots, they are 100 million apiece."

"Ok, ok, what about a ship wreck of the coast of...[checks notes] Middle-Earth?"

"Damn Patrick, you are on FIRE with the names! Ok, ok, shipwreck I like, we could have sea monsters and stuff! So, Halbrand is on a ship, how does Galadriel get there by accident? Is she in the Elven Coast Guard?"

"Naw, J.D., remember boats always look up so they float, they wouldn't see Halbrand! But what if Gladriel is out swimming?"

"I like, swimming is cheap. So she is out swimming in the sea monster filled deep ocean off of...[checks notes] Middle-Earth. Great, great, this is really coming together. But she can't just be swimming for fun, why is she really out there?"

"What if she was getting deported from..[checks notes] Middle-Earth for being TOO AWESOME and all the jelly dudes were like 'get that girl outta here she is making all look bad!' They are all MAGA and stuff and send her to the ancestral Elven homeland of...[checks notes] The Grey Havens."

"No, no, I remember that renowned scholar guy said the Grey Havens WERE in...[checks noted] Middle-Earth before he called us all idiots and we sacked him. What about this Valinor place thats all glowy and stuff? And put a pin in the MAGA idea, I like it but maybe we can use it for Numenor instead?"

"Dude, yes! So she is getting sent to Valinor for being too awesome and she's like 'nuh uh!' and she jumps into the water to swim back to this [checks notes] Middle-Earth place and along the way she comes across Halbrand and his shipwreck with the sea monsters!!"

"Dude! Lets cash the next million dollar check from Bezos and go do some coke off of a naked chick! We are like 50% done with this script business!"

This is a direct transcript of their meeting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom