• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Geraldine Ferraro 1935-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolKane

Just saw on the news... so sad. Rest in peace.

From CNN:
Geraldine Ferraro, a former congresswoman and vice presidential candidate, has died, according to family statement. She was 75.

In 1984, Ferraro was the first female vice presidential candidate from a major U.S. political party when she ran with Democratic presidential candidate Walter Mondale.

A resident of New York City, Ferraro died in Massachusetts General Hospital, surrounded by loved ones, and the cause of death was complications from multiple myeloma, a blood cancer that she had battled for 12 years, according to a statement released by her family from Boston, Massachusetts.

"Geraldine Anne Ferraro Zaccaro was widely known as a leader, a fighter for justice, and a tireless advocate for those without a voice. To us, she was a wife, mother, grandmother and aunt, a woman devoted to and deeply loved by her family," the family statement said. "Her courage and generosity of spirit throughout her life waging battles big and small, public and personal, will never be forgotten and will be sorely missed."

The family statement also described her as the "first Italian-American to run on a major party national ticket."

The Mondale-Ferraro ticket lost by a landslide in 1984 to Republican incumbents President Ronald Reagan and Vice President George H.W. Bush. In what became the second of Reagan's two terms in the White House, the Reagan-Bush ticket won the popular vote 58.8% to 40% and then nearly swept the electoral votes, 525 to 13.

In 1988, Bush was elected 41st president of the United States.

On Saturday, he and his wife, Barbara, issued a statement expressing "heartfelt condolences and love to Gerry's family."

"Barbara and I were deeply saddened to learn of Gerry's passing. Though we were one-time political opponents, I am happy to say Gerry and I became friends in time -- a friendship marked by respect and affection," Bush said in the statement. "I admired Gerry in many ways, not the least of which was the dignified and principled manner she blazed new trails for women in politics."

In 1978, she was elected as a U.S. representative for the 9th Congressional District of New York and was re-elected in 1980 and 1982.

She was born August 26, 1935 -- Women's Equality Day -- in Newburgh, New York, to restaurant owner Dominick and Antonetta (Corrieri) Ferraro, and later earned a bachelor's degree in English at Marymount Manhattan College in 1956 and then earned a law degree from Fordham University Law School in 1960.

Since 1960, she had been married to John Zaccaro, and during their 50-year marriage, they had three children, now adults.

She is survived by her husband, her three children and their spouses, and eight grandchildren.

In 1974, she became an assistant district attorney in Queens, New York.

After her bid for the vice presidency, she continued, unsuccessfully, to run for elected office -- while working in network television.

Between 1996 and 1998, she was a co-host on CNN's Crossfire. In 1992 and 1998, she ran for a U.S. Senate seat out of New York but lost in the Democratic primaries.

In March 2008, Ferraro was at the center of political controversy when she resigned from her fundraising position with Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign for comments Ferraro made about Clinton's rival, then-Sen. Barack Obama, during the Democratic primaries.

Ferraro remarked that Obama's campaign was successful because he was black.

She later told CNN that she was "absolutely not" sorry for her comments.

"I am who I am and I will continue to speak up," she said.

Ferraro then criticized the Obama campaign for efforts she characterized as trying to block her First Amendment rights.

t1larg.ferraro.afp.gi.jpg

2008 Controversy
Those controversial statements made in 2008 are as follows (from NPR):

She [Ferraro] in effect said that Barack Obama was doing very well in the primaries because he was black:

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro accused her critics of a double standard on race:

"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this [Obama] campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up," she told the Daily Breeze of Torrance, Calif. "Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

Ferraro in media
Here are a few video clips of the late Ferraro, for those who are unfamiliar with some of the highlights of her life and career:

1984 VP Acceptance Speech, a landmark in American political history:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpiG9_vzp8w

On the 2008 election, specifically sexism in the media:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6hGaaUrOY

VALIS

Sad. RIP.

Also sad she tarnished her legacy a little bit with her behavior during the '08 elections.

FStop7

Banned
The first female (and Italian-American) candidate on the national ticket to also be referenced by Wu-Tang Clan.

I gamed Ella, the bitch caught a Fitz like Gerald --
-- ine Ferraro, who's full of sorrow
Cuz the ho didn't win but the sun will still come out tomorrow

Joe Molotov

FStop7 said:
The first female (and Italian-American) candidate on the national ticket to also be referenced by Wu-Tang Clan.

I gamed Ella, the bitch caught a Fitz like Gerald --
-- ine Ferraro, who's full of sorrow
Cuz the ho didn't win but the sun will still come out tomorrow

Probably the proudest moment of her life.

besada

Banned
Condolences to her family.

I was thinking of Ferraro just the other day when we were discussing the treatment of women in politics. I couldn't help remembering how much shit she took for crying in public, only to be followed by a male President who cried like a baby at the drop of a hat.

Al-ibn Kermit

PhoenixDark said:
RIP

lost all credibility in 08
Do you think Obama would have won the primary if he was white? I was surprised as hell when he was considered the top contender since he was such a new politician on the national level.

Al-ibn Kermit said:
Do you think Obama would have won the primary if he was white? I was surprised as hell when he was considered the top contender since he was such a new politician on the national level.

Obama wouldn't be Obama if he was white, that comparison is invalid. His entire life story revolves around the multiculturalism of his race, his experiences in this country as well as others, etc. His life story and charismatic (public) personality set him apart from nearly any other nominee for president in the country's history.

A better question would be rather John Edwards could have beaten Hillary. And given how poorly she ran her campaign, there's no doubt in my mind Edwards would have beaten her too if Obama wasn't a factor. And like Obama, Edwards hadn't "achieved" much in his political career either.

Sexism certainly played a part in the coverage, but I've never heard Ferraro make a decent argument about it. Hillary was jumped on in the first debate because she was the de facto front runner. It had nothing to do with her being female; in fact, one of her first post-debate ads used that to further paint her as the front runner "everyone is talking about." In short, she clearly didn't think it was sexism at the time. And consider the similar treatment Mitt Romney received at the first republican debate; he wasn't the front runner but had the most money and was clearly the biggest threat to the other candidates, so they savaged him.

Al-ibn Kermit

PhoenixDark said:
Obama wouldn't be Obama if he was white, that comparison is invalid. His entire life story revolves around the multiculturalism of his race, his experiences in this country as well as others, etc. His life story and charismatic (public) personality set him apart from nearly any other nominee for president in the country's history.

A better question would be rather John Edwards could have beaten Hillary. And given how poorly she ran her campaign, there's no doubt in my mind Edwards would have beaten her too if Obama wasn't a factor. And like Obama, Edwards hadn't "achieved" much in his political career either.

Sexism certainly played a part in the coverage, but I've never heard Ferraro make a decent argument about it. Hillary was jumped on in the first debate because she was the de facto front runner. It had nothing to do with her being female; in fact, one of her first post-debate ads used that to further paint her as the front runner "everyone is talking about." In short, she clearly didn't think it was sexism at the time. And consider the similar treatment Mitt Romney received at the first republican debate; he wasn't the front runner but had the most money and was clearly the biggest threat to the other candidates, so they savaged him.
Well Ferraro got pretty mad at her daughter when she voted for Obama, apparently she believes that the younger generation has lost touch with the women's equality movement and no longer sees getting equal rights for women (ie: a woman in the oval office) as a goal to fight for. She actually says that the reason she was even picked as a running mate in 1984 was because she was a woman, not because of her experience and she believes that the same bias applied for Obama.

Personally, I don't think Obama would have had anywhere near the same turnout from young voters and black voters if he was not black. You can make the argument that he was multicultural and intelligent but I've been volunteering as an election officer for the past couple election cycles and I've never seen anywhere near as many young voters as in 2008, not even last November when we had a weed legalization bill here in California.

Al-ibn Kermit said:
Well Ferraro got pretty mad at her daughter when she voted for Obama, apparently she believes that the younger generation has lost touch with the women's equality movement and no longer sees getting equal rights for women (ie: a woman in the oval office) as a goal to fight for. She actually says that the reason she was even picked as a running mate in 1984 was because she was a woman, not because of her experience and she believes that the same bias applied for Obama.

Personally, I don't think Obama would have had anywhere near the same turnout from young voters and black voters if he was not black. You can make the argument that he was multicultural and intelligent but I've been volunteering as an election officer for the past couple election cycles and I've never seen anywhere near as many young voters as in 2008, not even last November when we had a weed legalization bill here in California.

It was more than him being black. If he was a regular black guy from Chicago with two black parents from the civil rights era, he wouldn't be Obama - and would not have won. Obama was/is a phenomenon for many reasons, and one of them is due to his complete lack of ties to the civil rights era. You can see that in the way Michelle is perceived as compared to him. Your argument doesn't take into account how different Obama is from every other black politician out there. Even charismatic, brilliant characters like Corey Booker or Adrian Fenty have too much racial baggage to play on a national scale.

Obama had no such baggage when he was first introduced, and being raised by his white family helped him connect with many voters who might not have given him a chance otherwise. In fact, it's one of the reasons that must have allowed him to survive the Wright fiasco; people may not like Obama's policies but they like him personally, and he has yet to be effectively demonized as a racist/bigot/black nationalist/etc because voters don't see him that way. Once again, compare his treatment to that of his wife, who was seen as a negative to the campaign, which ultimately led to the makeover she received shortly before Obama wrapped up the nomination.

In short, there are simply too many differences between Obama and every other current politician - black or white - that it's impossible to make such broad generalizations on his performance. He identified with young people for far more reasons than his race. His age, message, life experiences, etc played major roles, and his multicultural background further solidified those things. He represented a new generation at the time, just as JFK did for the youth in the early 60s. In that sense he can't really be compared to anyone but JFK or RFK.

edit: Ferraro's old school feminist argument is ironically similar to the gripes she has for Obama supporters who supported him "because he's black" allegedly. She was mad at her daughters for not supporting the female candidate on pure gender grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom