• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay Demo (E3 2015), out November 10th

Demo reminded me of the opening sections from the reboot QTE heavy,auto jumps between setpieces etc,also i got the feeling that CD was feeling a bit insecure about 'Core Tomb Raider' fans reactions which is why they choose this section for demo instead of an action heavy section which is weird as i feel demo rubbed the people they were trying to cater even further from them,they shoulde've went with an exploring freely kinda section that would've been a win-win situation for them.
Anyway i think despite this poor showing the game will be great,i just have to stomach the first few hours.

I've just played TR1 and I'm currently playing TR2 for the first time on Steam. Those games are amazing and aged much better than I would have thought. Both classics.

I like the reboot, but it makes me wish they'd make a more faithful sequel now.

That would require a different team and this particular rebooted version to fail.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looks nice. i hope exploration plays a much bigger part than in the last game

Cheers dude. Looking good. Lara's gone full batman mode in the first vid!
:lol I thought the same thing!

Game looks incredible. I cannot wait to play it! This fall there is just too damn much! Fallout 4, RotTR, Halo 5...and I have a baby coming in August to work around lol. :( but :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just as I thought, the actual gameplay looks great. Showing that heavily scripted sequence during the conference was a poor idea - it was a repeat of the previous game's first E3 demo.

big_z

the game looks fantastic, preordered it last E3 based on how good the first one was. i just hope the story improves this time around, it was the weakest aspect of the last game.

Can't wait for this game. So excited to get my action adventure itch scratched. Last game was my GOTY contender last time. Is this Xbox exclusive or is it still timed (meaning PC at some point)?

RoKKeR

Really lost at the house of demo at the conference. The leaked ones above are way better.

So we think this game's release will be shuffled due to Fallout 4 dropping in the same day?

Mman235

Random QTE aside these are way better than the conference footage; that encounter in the first video seems to be built after the best ones in the last game (not forced on you and with actual choice in how to approach it), and it's nice to see confirmation that regenerating health is gone.

Lt.Chips

Awesome videos!

Do we know what resolution the current demo is running in? Did CD make it 1080p this time? Also curious about the framerate, since the DE, which uses the same engine, didn't run that well on the XBone.

WeTeHa

I can only watch 1 of the 3 videos, but after seeing the environment destruction and foliage interaction in Uncharted 4 and Horizon, this was kind of disappointing.

Anyway, looking forward to the game. Gameplay looks fun, I enjoy games that offer a stealth approach. Hopefully the exclusivity period is only 6 months, because I'm not buying an XB1.

iMax

One of the developers just mentioned on the Gamespot stream that ROTTR is being co-developed by Eidos Montreal.

Is this known information?

I'll play it when it hits PS4, just like I played TR 2013. It's good for what it is, a 3rd party Uncharted.

But it's not a Tomb Raider game and doesn't deserve to carry that name. It's a shiny rollercoaster ride, rather than the shiny board game it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKwMyu7WtWc

42 min mark

- Second location is Syria and is before Siberia
- Jonah and Lara have eachothers back but this is Lara's story -she's the Tomb Raider.
- Tombs are big and Complex (Traps are back)
- Swimming is featured throughout the game no big areas like Oceans though.
- Alies can give Lara side missions to gain extra XPs
- Relics and 'other' things to collect are in the hubs
- Other guardians protect tombs (not just the bear)
- Multiple outfits

renjworks

Neo Member
big tomb raider fan here. i finished the (2013) tomb raider on PC and really want some more of lara adventures.

when i saw the gameplay from the microsoft conference i was really excited.
when i saw the gameplay of uncharted from the sony conference, i thought to myself tomb raider was put to a shame, for lack of better terms i can think of. i am a sucker for eye-candies and fluid animation i don't even know how to compare the two.

i have not played a single uncharted before, will definitely get the collection on october.
but i will still get the tomb raider game eventually ...
when it hopefully release on the PS4

Footage during the demos is the typical hold up and tap A while stuff crumbles/explodes/happens around Lara that I expected from the sequel to the reboot. However the segment I saw on Squareenix's stream had something interesting, it sounds like they contracted Eidos Montreal specifically to make the puzzles/tombs of this game. I guess they figured it would be a waste to have them work on the multiplayer portion that no one would play like last time, at least this way they can make some tombs and alleviate some of the old school TR fans like me that hated their absense in TR2013.

nOoblet16

I am intrigued now again, I really hated what they did with TR reboot but this looks interesting.

I had suspected that they would do something like Splinter Cell Blacklist where the E3 demo would not look very different from the previous game but the actual game ended up being massively stealth focused and quite fantastic.

Azzawon

Game looks amazing and I'll definitely pick it up. Day one though? Not a chance in hell. Why they chose to release it on the same day as Fallout 4 I'll never know.

I am personally surprised MS chose to launch the same day as Fallout 4. I figured this game would of been a December release. Regardless, I will definitely own this game before the year is over.

I'll play it when it hits PS4, just like I played TR 2013. It's good for what it is, a 3rd party Uncharted.

But it's not a Tomb Raider game and doesn't deserve to carry that name. It's a shiny rollercoaster ride, rather than the shiny board game it should be.
Agree! Especially the bolded part.
Still pissed me off, years later. Was a big fan of the... well ..."original" Tomb Raider games.
Bought TR on the PSX Day 1 and was blown away.

But the new Lara is just a Uncharted/Rambo combination. Which makes me sad :/

wouwie

The conference demo was clearly aimed to impress but failed and did nothing for me. I've never been a fan off overly scripted setpieces with little gameplay. Let's hope the scripted QTE/limited movement setpiece gameplay scenes are kept to a minimum this time.

That being said, the trailer looked nice so there's no reason to believe that this won't be a solid game. I don't have an xbox so i won't be playing it (i'll believe the timed exclusive thing whenever the pc/ps4 is officially announced) but if i had one, this would probably be one of the games i'd look forward to the most for the end of the year period. I love 3rd person action adventure games.

Dyna

The demo they showed at Microsoft's press conference was incredibly dull in my opinion. They could have shown anything else from the game and it would have been a lot more exciting. The in-game trailer they showed was really nice though, the variety of locations seen in the trailer was neat.

Top Bottom