• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roblox surges past Minecraft to reach 100 million monthly players.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At 91 million (as of March), Microsoft’s blocky adventure is hardly trailing behind, but for many, it doesn’t have the consistent draw it once had. Though a new wave of YouTubers and Twitch streamers has led to more attention, vanilla Minecraft’s lack of frequent, significant updates means there’s less to be excited about.

Despite this, it still appears to hold the public record for the best-selling video game of all time. Roblox Corporation has yet to reveal how many total copies its title has sold, while Mojang’s had sold 176 million as of March 2019.

“We started Roblox over a decade ago with a vision to bring people from all over the world together through play,” said founder and CEO David Baszucki in a press release. “Roblox began with just 100 players and a handful of creators who inspired one another, unlocking this groundswell of creativity, collaboration, and imagination that continues to grow.”

Roblox is a case of bottom-tier games slowly working their way up-market. My son started to get into Roblox a few years ago (because of his classmates) and I was shocked by how low-quality it is. Then again, he also thinks fan-made Mario flash games are worth trying so his standard ain't exactly a high bar.

This "game" is probably the worst looking one I have seen outside early 3d titles back in the 90s!

Yet kids keep going back to it, I don't even get what they're doing, is seems just like walking around, getting "eggs" (that they can buy with real money) these eggs let you gain more or less rare skins... But nothing seems to make sens, the user generated content is probably the worst quality user generated content ever made.

Does someone know why it hooked so many people? I'm no fan of Minecraft, but I get why it's fun.

Snakey125

Roblox is free to play isn't it? Minecraft is $20+. I'm not sure I'd make that comparison as it's a bit unfair, at least in my opinion.
free to play with *

There a lot of things behind microtransactions. I'm surprised the game is still around considering 10 years ago it barely had any population

Knightime_X

How long will it's popularity last though?
I bet it goes from 100 million to 30 million in a few months and then nosedive like fidget spinners did.
I mean it's fucking ROBLOX! those games are super trash at best.

Last edited:

A.Romero

This "game" is probably the worst looking one I have seen outside early 3d titles back in the 90s!

Yet kids keep going back to it, I don't even get what they're doing, is seems just like walking around, getting "eggs" (that they can buy with real money) these eggs let you gain more or less rare skins... But nothing seems to make sens, the user generated content is probably the worst quality user generated content ever made.

Does someone know why it hooked so many people? I'm no fan of Minecraft, but I get why it's fun.

Stuff like this is more effective at making me feel old than gray hair and a reciding hairline. I don't even try it.

My daughter loves it, the games are obviously very basic but they're all multiplayer and it's free so all of her friends have it on their xboxes.

Dural

My 10yo and his friends all love it, probably play it more than Fortnite. I don't understand it, everything I've seen looks like garbage. They'll play knockoff GTA, knockoff Fortnite, shitty racing games and think it's great. I asked my nephew why he would play a knockoff Fortnite in Roblox rather than play the real thing and he just looked at me dumbfounded. They constantly ask for robux too, my son got his first $25 robux card from my mom for his birthday as I won't by that crap for him. They've been playing it since before Fortnite too, so it isn't exactly a fad.

RPS37

Dude. My now 8 year old niece used to play roblox all the time on my iPad and I never knew what she was doing. I think she was like 6 back then too!

A couple of my nephews (around 10 years old) play this. It’s like the shovel ware but the kids love it for some reason. Hell, I remember playing some free-to-play Sony Station Pass games when I was younger that were more impressive than Roblox. I think Goldeneye 64 had more impressive gameplay. Kids these days make the wrong choice.

JCK75

My son is addicted to it and while I've seen some well done, genuinely fun experiences on it, the majority of what is played is garbage involving jumping over red blocks until you reach the end.

n0razi

You have to remember back to when you were 10 years old... what kind of stuff did you think was interesting or fun

How long will it's popularity last though?
I bet it goes from 100 million to 30 million in a few months and then nosedive like fidget spinners did.
I mean it's fucking ROBLOX! those games are super trash at best.

giphy.gif

You have to remember back to when you were 10 years old... what kind of stuff did you think was interesting or fun

439347.jpg

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

My younger son loves Roblox I don’t understand the appeal myself but there are tons of different games to play. He is also messing around with the software to create his own games which I think is great because it gives him a chance to understand code and how it’s used in actual games.

Jeeves

When I was 10 I was looking forward to Majora's Mask so much that I taught myself HTML and made a (admittedly shitty) fan site for it.

I'm probably just old but damn it feels like kids have shit taste. It's just whatever is cheap/free and gets marketed to them. They'll consume it just because it's there. Look at Flappy Bird.

VertigoOA

Banned
Yea it’s one of those games you’ve never heard of or seen and then find out it’s a juggernaut of the industry.

I’m actually curious to see how many people play Ark. A bit curious about that one and how it’s shaping up but it’s another one of those “shit” games that are extremely popular.

bitbydeath

Roblox is actually pretty good as it’s very community driven. My daughter plays a whole bunch of different types of games on it. From wearing specific themed costumes and voting on it to building out your own fast food chain. There’s a ton of different stuff and you see people in it everywhere.

beck_

Just be careful of adult content on there. We had to lock it down for our kids so it only lets them play 'official' stamped levels. There are lots of horror/blood games on there, like running round with a knife killing people etc.

Roblox is actually pretty good as it’s very community driven. My daughter plays a whole bunch of different types of games on it. From wearing specific themed costumes and voting on it to building out your own fast food chain. There’s a ton of different stuff and you see people in it everywhere.

So it's Second life but for kids?

Kadayi

Banned
I can legitimately say I've never even heard of this game before until reading this thread, however, I suspect a lot of it apparent success comes down to its ubiquity and that all their friends are playing it more than anything else. Plus let's be honest here, young kids are easily pleased and aren't exactly renowned for their taste in things. I might not have any of my own, but as an uncle, I've known the dismay of taking young nephews and nieces to the local toyshop for a birthday treat and them either wanting the most budget-breaking thing you can buy, or the most disposable cringeworthy tat imaginable.

Last edited:

TindalosPup

I heard about pedophilia rings and CP circulating around there as well as some occult shit, S&M and whatnot.

I've heard about occult stuff and pedophiles making rounds on Roblox (if kids are there those creeps will always try to be, Internet safety is an essential)

but the other stuff I have not... I hope nothing THAT involved and scummy ever happens there

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I remember playing the Xbox one version and having some fun with a death run parkour type game where you have to traverse the entire map with hard jumps with checkpoints. That was the only thing I sunk any time into.

still like Minecraft much better which my daughter still plays like a fiend after all these years

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate as I have been forced to play Roblox by my crotchgoblins and I think it's being misrepresented. Roblox itself is not really a game, but a visual "game development tool" akin to a very low-budget Dreams. When the kids "play" Roblox, they play minigames created by other players.

99.99% of all Roblox games are pure rotten trash that either bombard you with memes, are unmitigated cashgrabs or imitate other more successful games. But there are others which are surprisingly well made that can have a solid half an hour or more. There are "obbys", which are basically 3d platformers, and some of those can be pretty fun. Also there are some Battle Royales, Fortnite-style, which can be worth a laugh.

Unfortunately your children are going to be drawn to the trash "Sams Undertale Creepy Elevator: Despacito Edition"-style games. Roblox is not a bad game for kids, just keep an eye on them to see what the fuck they're doing while playing.

Havoc2049

Roblox is the go to game for my 7 year old daughter. She is playing it all the time with her friends and cousins. She also watches Roblox streamers on YouTube all the time as well, who are probably making some serious bank.

Javthusiast

Banned
To this day I feel like this whole Roblox thing completely went by me. I remember seeing some memes of a roblox character? But can't recall ever actually seeing the game, lol.

Fbh

The graphics are truly terrible but I guess I get the appeal.

It's free, multiplayer, looks like it will run ok even on an old laptop with some Intel HD whatever integrated graphics card and it's full of short crappy "games" which I imagine appeal to kids and their short attention spans.

Last edited:

quickwhips

I had fun with the racing and horror elevators are fun. My son runs through obby rooms and has a blast with the sponge bob squarepants levels. Plus this is free to pay while minecraft cost to play.

Top Bottom