• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockman/Mega Man 25th Anniversary Thread

ED Cantu

I just hope that they announce something else aside from the soundtrack.
Megaman is one of my favorite franchises, it's really sad to see that Capcom doesn't care that much anymore.

I recall X collection on PS2 working just fine. Anniversary collection was the one that had lag problems, IIRC. Hopefull Mega Man X3 will show up on Wii/Wii U VC someday. It always irked me that they ported the PSX/Saturn version of X3 for the X collection.

And sorry, but X's best tracks are for Armored Armadillo, Spark Mandrill, and Sigma's first stage =P
Fixed that for you.

qq more

Sting Chameleon's music is also great.

And on the subject of Mega Man X... I beat X8 the other night, it did not age well. I forgot how sadistic and cheap the level designs were. The gameplay other than that was great.. but man the level design :(

So do I have to be the first to mention the greatness of the Boomer Kuwanger stage theme? for shame.

But this does speak volumes about how good the soundtrack for Mega Max X is, everyone has their favourite and they're all good choices.

Hero

Does anyone honestly expect any sort of game announcement from Capcom later this year?

Capcpom only releasing overpriced merchandise to their fans is probably the reality of this "anniversary."

luka

Loves Robotech S1
neogaf does what capcdon't

The really shitty thing is that the Rockman DASH/legends games never got complete OST releases, and 2 only had a handful of tracks. They didn't even rectify this or include the games AT ALL in the Rock-can.

I want a new Mega developed by Inafune :(
+ inti creates

Takao

Banned
The GB had Mega Man World and Mega Man Xtreme, the GBA had Zero and Battle Network, the DS had Star Force and ZX, the PSP had Powered Up (which is amazing) and an X remake... where are my 3DS and Vita Mega Man games?

Capcom, you are fucking up.

Legends could've been those games : (

RIP Blue Buddy

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I recall X collection on PS2 working just fine. Anniversary collection was the one that had lag problems, IIRC. Hopefull Mega Man X3 will show up on Wii/Wii U VC someday. It always irked me that they ported the PSX/Saturn version of X3 for the X collection.
I guess they felt that the PSX/Saturn versions were 'upgraded' or something, but I'm with you. X collection on PS2 ran fine, imo.

Chemo said:
Capcom, you're awful.
To be fair, we're talking about a company who can't spell its own name correctly.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Does anyone honestly expect any sort of game announcement from Capcom later this year?

Capcpom only releasing overpriced merchandise to their fans is probably the reality of this "anniversary."

I'm expecting their December announcement to be an iPhone title.

bumpkin

So do I have to be the first to mention the greatness of the Boomer Kuwanger stage theme? for shame.

But this does speak volumes about how good the soundtrack for Mega Max X is, everyone has their favourite and they're all good choices.
Truth. I may really favor those two I mentioned, but I like all the tracks other X fans have mentioned too.

Takao

Banned
OP forgot the most influential MegaMan game of our time:

BCeBZ.jpg

It sold so poorly it killed both Battle Network and Star Force at the same time!

Sciz

I'd really like to know who at Capcom greenlighted Archie's Mega Man comic series at this point, since he is apparently one of very few people who cares these days.

(also it's pretty good, check it out)

BCeBZ.jpg

It sold so poorly it killed both Battle Network and Star Force at the same time!

Well, you can't expect anything else when the selling point is reduced to one fight in one of the worst games in the series.

I remember how Seth Killian once mentioned that Capcom Japan doesn't think that Mega Man is popular in the west. When I read that for the first time, I just thought he was referring to the way that MM2 and MMX are put on a pedestal, and the rest of the series gets a middling response. But now I think they meant that most people won't buy anything with Mega Man's face slapped onto it. And I, for one, am OK with that.

I'd really like to know who at Capcom greenlighted Archie's Mega Man comic series at this point, since he is apparently one of very few people who cares these days.

It is. Perfect tribute to the source material, and the shining beacon for Archie's entire comic catalog (since regular Archie's a waste of brains).

No soundtrack for X? That one had the best music.
Rockman X and its sequels, going up to 6, already got a soundtrack release years ago. So did the Classic games, for that matter. This 25th Anniversary stuff is just going to make all of that easier to own on disc.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Something just hit me: With S-Kill gone from Capcpom, will we ever learn the Mega Man 9 and 10 super duper gumdrop secrets?

OK, I already heard people in this thread say that the PS2 version of the Anniversary Collection is shit, but how about the Xbox version? I know that 8 is apparently borked when playing on 360, but is there anything else I should be weary of?

The chart has Mega Man V (Wii Virtual Console) listed as Mega Man 4.

Also, I never knew there was a Mega Man Tennis game. Looking up some Youtube videos, and it looks pretty neat, actually!

OK, I already heard people in this thread say that the PS2 version of the Anniversary Collection is shit, but how about the Xbox version? I know that 8 is apparently borked when playing on 360, but is there anything else I should be weary of?

As far as I know, there were a few other graphical glitches in some of the other games, too. (At least when played on a 360.) The PS2 version was actually pretty good, even if there were a few minor issues. There's also the GC version, although there's the whole button switch issue.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Picked up #14 the other day. Might read it tonight.

The comics really are decent, folks! Cover art is usually fantastic.

Huge Mega Man fan here, but I think the Archie comics, aside from the first four, have really been sub-par.

I've still been buying them to support the cause, but from #5 on, not only has the art been more lax, but the writing is generally pretty terrible.

I want to like them, but they make it pretty tough. Everyone should still buy them though.

Ahh, Mega Man. Been a favorite since the anniversary collection I got back during early grade school....been improving and ever since love the difficulty factor in his games.

kunonabi

Hard to believe Mega Man used to be one of the pillars of my gaming interests and now he can't even get a game released and I no longer purchase Capcom products.

I think I'll spend the weekend with X2 and relive the good times.

Azure J

Dunno much about the Archie comics, but does anyone else feel like the Megamix comic by Ariga are some exceptionally well done stuff within the franchise? Art and story line wise, they're excellent fan service and really make you appreciate the games more.

Slermy

Dunno much about the Archie comics, but does anyone else feel like the Megamix comic by Ariga are some exceptionally well done stuff within the franchise? Art and story line wise, they're excellent fan service and really make you appreciate the games more.

Oh definitely! Such care for the franchise and attention to little details (such as the vents on the back on Mega Man's helmet). I actually didn't know about the effect that Crashman's weapon had on Heatman until I read the manga!

Solune

I loved Ariga's take on Elecman being a bauss and Skullman,
with him being the main antagonist of the MMIV arc and redeeming himself
Unfortunately I haven't bought the Gigamix volumes but definitely have been wanting to for a long time.

He also has a New Project in the works.

And I would look into the Archie comics Azure, the arcs(4 comics) are coming out as graphic novels. The art is really faithful to the original series.

Yeah I really need the SNES version of X3. They butchered Blast Hornet and Gravity Beetle.

No kidding, I was always under the impression the non-SNES MMX3 games would be an upgrade. But then the remixed music sucks, and the animated cutscenes ended up being dumb. Hell, the animated cutscenes were worse than old spiderman cartoons.

Soul Beat

The Archie comics are pretty good. I usually just wait for the volumes instead of buying the separate issues.

I should invest in getting the Megamix manga though.

Sciz

Huge Mega Man fan here, but I think the Archie comics, aside from the first four, have really been sub-par.

I've still been buying them to support the cause, but from #5 on, not only has the art been more lax, but the writing is generally pretty terrible.

I want to like them, but they make it pretty tough. Everyone should still buy them though.
Eh, to each their own. The pacing has been too fast, admittedly, but they're fixing that.

As far as the art goes, Spaz tends to be too busy to do interiors for anyone, let alone whatever Archie pays.

I keep meaning to buy those, they certainly look good.

There might be a game, then again, I am thinking that Capcom will release more figures, and maybe a new animated series, or heck, even that MegaMan game that was made for Koreans. (wishful thinking)

Has it really been 4 years since Star Force 3 came out? I'm one of the more hardcore Mega Man fans, having played every major game except X7 and the Legends games.

GSR

BCeBZ.jpg

OSS was such a cashgrab it still sort of irks me. I just remember following the news on that game and every bit that came out just got worse and worse. At first everyone thought it was a full new game, then it turned out to be a BN1 remake, then it turned out to be a BN1 port with like half an hour of new content.

Hell of a way to celebrate EXE/SF's 10th game. Hate to see what they've got planned for the series' 25th year.

branny

I've actually been thinking about the MMX series nonstop lately. I spent a couple hours yesterday watching speedruns of the early X games (along with some of my other old 2D favorites), and I've been playing the PS2 collection, Mav Hun X, and Kirby's Return to Dream Land (not exactly Mega Man but I've been meaning to buy it and finally did :D) while catching up on podcasts today.

I blame all the constricting stuff I've been playing recently (Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Lollipop Chainsaw, ME3 for the new ending, etc.) for making me crave something that doesn't feel like I'm wading through molasses. It seems that MMX has always been my go-to brain defrag comfort food besides fighting games and a few other standbys. :(

I'm going to finish Gravity Rush eventually, I promise!

Top Bottom