• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Announces “Red Dead Online”

bitbydeath

Focusing on Role Playing and Morality sounds interesting.

Rockstar Games has announced “Red Dead Online,” the online component of the upcoming “Red Dead Redemption 2” but one that’s being pitched as a separate product.

It’s very similar to the way “GTA Online” grew out of “Grand Theft Auto V,” but “Red Dead Online” will put the focus on role-playing and morality.

“Red Dead Redemption 2” launched October 26th while “Red Dead Online” is expected to launch a public beta on November 18th, but no full launch date is yet set. “Red Dead Online” will be free to anyone who purchases “Red Dead Redemption 2” across both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/rockstar-announces-red-dead-online/

Last edited:
Is anyone even buying RS words considering their future plans, especially after what they said for gta v back in 2014 ?

I seriously doubt there will be any significant SP content for RDR 2.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Is anyone even buying RS word considering what future holds, especially after what they said for gta v back in 2014 ?

I'm sure that the base game will be significant in terms of content. But I doubt we see any single player DLC if RDR Online takes off.

Larxia

Pretty sure it will be something with good potential that will be ruined by people always killing you at first sight, just like in gta, and when you ask them why they do that, they will answer "well it's gta lol that's the point, go to another game if you don't want to be killed", and rockstar will then add challenges to even encourage players to kill each other in free roam.

Salty, I know, but GTA online could be much better without this terrible community (and the terrible matchmaking / loading / lobby systems)

And I know passive mode exists, but playing online without any interaction with other players is not funny, but it's sad when the only interaction is killing.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Even though this was always going to happen, it sucks for me. I play Rockstar stuff for single player content, and this probably means there wont be any SP dlc for Red Dead. As long as the main game hasn't had content cut back because of this then fine.

TimFL

Is anyone even buying RS words considering their future plans, especially after what they said for gta v back in 2014 ?

That‘s no problem considering they never promised any SP DLC for RDR2?

Sounds like a few basic good buzz words, and I like the attempt to contrast it from GTAO and say that GTAO does something [very lol] different and we want to focus more on roleplaying and morality.

Because GTAO is sure AF the opposite of that, and one of the least roleplay-able, social-able, and most grief-able online games around -- with some pretty scummy mobile-eque practices, to boot (e.g. getting a half DOZEN phone call spams every single time you log into the game -- even if you switch back to SP and back to MP, it repeats all over again). And the PvP has been trivialized by a sort of 'vehicle stagflation' where the need to constantly have cooler and flashier vehicles as -- not ruined per se -- but turned a game that should be about shootouts and chases into an auto-lock flying-and-missiles fest.

So, you know, gives me hope for the first year or two of RDR2 Online for a more low-key, sociable and/or role played, and slowly paced PvP game...

But I'm not ruling out weaponized horses and flying wagons by 2020 lol

Drac84

How much of the asynchronous release is due to them wanting you to play the single player do you think?

Good question. I myself wonder if the MP has been delayed to include a Battle Royale mode, which has seemingly become a new standard, required mode for MP shooters.

Edit: It also gives them a second launch of sorts, and possibly helps stave off the trade-ins in the weeks following launch as people wait for MP to release.

Last edited:
Oh, it's a big part of it, for sure. And a smart one... it buys RDR Online more time and TBH it solves the 'which to play first' dilemma even for some people. Plus it serves as staggered post-release content. It's definitely by design.... this many years on a game, if they really wanted it less than 1 month earlier on day 1 they could have.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
giphy.gif

vendril

Neo Member
Speaking as someone who has never even tried GTA5 online (simply zero interest), they still delivered a single player game that I thoroughly enjoyed, and was worth the investment. I am, however, saddened by this news if it implies a shift in focus, but I'm also not going to jump to hyperbolic conclusions so quickly.

klosos

Guys a new preview for Red Dead Redemption 2 from Game reactor - https://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/692763/Red+Dead+Redemption+2/

much improved horse controls from the first game -

"We saddled up and rode into the sunset, immediately feeling how improved controlling the horse feels this time around. The horse is - if you treat it right and build a bond over the course of the game - now an extension of yourself, rather than a vehicle of sorts, even though it might feel like it. It grinds to a halt, speeds up, switches speeds, and even moves sideways at the will of the player. There are several mechanics in place, such as gear shifts with the X and L1 button, and by holding square while standing still, the horse will strafe in a given direction. If your bond becomes strong enough, it'll even pull off something akin to a handbrake turn. Furthermore, all of the items you can't hold yourself, such as extra weapons, tonics, or other crafting materials, can be stored in the saddlebags of your steed, making it not just a means of transportation, but a companion for the road. Rockstar hopes that the player will bond with their horse, and after a few minutes we could feel that happening already. "

First person mode confirmed aswell -

"the Rockstar developer gently suggested, and this revealed a fully-fledged first-person mode, which is there day and date on the release "

Last edited:

Pejo

Great news for people that like GTA Online. I'm personally just really happy that it's a separate thing entirely from the campaign. Everyone wins I guess!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So this is going to be an early access game with a shit ton of microtransactions. With how long it took for GTA online to get "good", I don't have much faith in this mode out of the gate.

WaterAstro

If role-play is their focus, then hopefully they come up with some type of penalty system for people who just aim to grief.
If they can do it like GTA V rp where players are the enforcers, then it would be cool. Make prisoners have to serve jail time in real time.

I'll try it, was never really into the first online mode of RDR, didnt really play GTAV online either. I just hope trophies aren't tied into the online portion of things too much.

pr0cs

GTA online was a cool idea but it was painfully slow on PS4,to the point it was easy to give up on it.
Hopefully rdr is better optimized

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I was speaking to someone last night who said they’ll wait for the online version and won’t even play the SP game. I found that strange.

*cue Mad World - Tears for Fears*

anthraticus

Banned
Yea, went through a little phase with online/mp gaming years back, but got it out of my system and now I have zero interest in any of that stuff.

NickFire

I never gave GTA online a real try because I such at driving in those games, but this is almost certainly going to suck my debit card in.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GTAV RP is a player mod that isn't a part of GTAV. Players roleplay as cops, chase down criminals, give out tickets and fines.

Hilarity ensues.

Oh man! That does sound like a recipe for hilariousness.

That would be sweet if they included a mode like that in RDR2.

GTAV RP is a player mod that isn't a part of GTAV. Players roleplay as cops, chase down criminals, give out tickets and fines.

Hilarity ensues.
It really sucks because unless Rockstar does a roleplay mode themselves (which I highly doubt), they've already set precedent that they'll harass modders, send private investigators to their houses to intimidate them, cease & desist competing multiplayer projects and their modding policy clearly states that only single player mods are allowed.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/plea...-to-go-after-their-real-target-fivem.1393267/

If Rockstar/Take Two has their way, there'll be no FiveM equivalent in RDR2 on PC.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Oh man! That does sound like a recipe for hilariousness.

That would be sweet if they included a mode like that in RDR2.
Linked the first time I watched GTAV RP with the best cop RPer.

Also note that criminals get served jailtime that they have to serve in real time. The time doesn't count if they log off. That's real punishment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom