• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games Announce L.A Noire: The VR Case Files For The HTC VIVE

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
https://blog.vive.com/us/2017/09/07/rockstar-la-noire-for-vive/
RSG_LAN_VRCF_FACEBOOK_851x3151.jpg

Today, we're proud to share the news that Rockstar Games has announced a new version of the blockbuster detective thriller L.A. Noire, scheduled to release on November 14, 2017. L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files features select cases from the original game rebuilt specifically for a virtual reality experience on the HTC VIVE.
Set against the seedy and violent underbelly of 1940's Los Angeles, L.A. Noire is the story of decorated veteran and newly minted detective Cole Phelps as he investigates an escalating series of cases inspired by real-world crimes. Each successfully solved case brings Phelps greater success, but also brings him closer to the dark criminal heart of post-war L.A.
L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files for HTC Vive delivers seven of the original engrossing, self-contained cases from L.A. Noire rebuilt specifically for virtual reality, blending breathtaking action with true detective work to deliver an unprecedented interactive experience.
L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files for HTC Vive adds new layers of immersion and realism to Rockstar Games' blockbuster crime thriller by putting you directly in the shoes of Detective Cole Phelps. With each of the seven cases rebuilt for virtual reality, players can use real world physical motions including grabbing, inspecting and manipulating individual clues or using the detective's notebook to make notes or draw freehand. Experience first person driving in VR with additional real-world vehicle interactions including steering, operating car doors, changing radio stations, shooting from vehicles and much more.
For more information, visit the updated website at rockstargames.com/lanoire

Not to port beg but what is the probability this (as in VR update) comes to PS4 down the line? Knowing R*, they may charge $20 extra for this and make it a DLC if it ever releases.

ArtHands

Alongside these three new console versions comes LA Noire: The VR Case Files, featuring seven select cases from the original game rebuilt specifically for a virtual reality experience on the HTC VIVE™ system.

Soooo....no Oculus Rift compatibility? Moving right along...

It'll work with Rift. Developers don't even need to add compatibility for SteamVR games to work on the Rift.

Alongside these three new console versions comes LA Noire: The VR Case Files, featuring seven select cases from the original game rebuilt specifically for a virtual reality experience on the HTC VIVE™ system.

Hmm. Bit odd for it to be recycled content when they're also re-releasing the full game.

ArtHands

It'll work with Rift. Developers don't even need to add compatibility for SteamVR games to work on the Rift.

Hmm. Bit odd for it to be recycled content when they're also re-releasing the full game.

These 7 cases are rebuilt from the ground up for VR.

players can use real world physical motions including grabbing, inspecting and manipulating individual clues or using the detective's notebook to make notes or draw freehand. Experience first person driving in VR with additional real-world vehicle interactions including steering, operating car doors, changing radio stations, shooting from vehicles and much more.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

There is a difference in the controls. Granted, going from Rift > Vive is more problematic than going from Vive > Rift given the analog sticks.

But I've tried a few games that were designed for the Vive touchpad that were barely playable using the Rift's analogs as a substitute. The worst case were games that track the thumb position 1:1 on the Vive touchpad and used clicking the touchpad for an action. Imagine trying to hold an analog stick 1/4 up then pressing in on the stick while not moving the stick off that 1/4 up position.

ArtHands

Sweet that you mean the VR cases are coming to PSVR as well. Looking forward to it alongside the normal PS4 game.

I didn't say this is coming to PSVR though. I am referring to the console version of LA Noire game

Not to port beg but what is the probability this (as in VR update) comes to PS4 down the line? Knowing R*, they may charge $20 extra for this and make it a DLC if it ever releases.

It can happen, happened with games with a far less budget.

Right now it's Most likely due to hardware power. Easier to work on the more powerful platform, with less constraints, get things right and a shippable game that you can then downscale to fit a platform without many hitches.

We see a lot of PC vr devs do this. Most notably Arizona sunshine and superhot vr.

L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files features select cases from the original game rebuilt specifically for a virtual reality experience on the HTC VIVE.
[...]
L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files for HTC Vive delivers seven of the original engrossing, self-contained cases from L.A. Noire rebuilt specifically for virtual reality, blending breathtaking action with true detective work to deliver an unprecedented interactive experience.
So, is the VR version the full game or only some missions of it?

I don't remember being that short.

tbm24

Was at a Microsoft store today playing around with the Vive. In the end I didn't think there was anything I really wanted on it, until now! Damn I have great memories with LA Noire.

ArtHands

Was at a Microsoft store today playing around with the Vive. In the end I didn't think there was anything I really wanted on it, until now! Damn I have great memories with LA Noire.

A VR remake of 7 cases. Motion control, free interactivity with items, and most likely remake cutscenes too.

TimFL

So what about the definitive edition I bought on Steam a few years ago? Is that going to get patched.

Sucks how they do not release a version on PC, the PC remaster is kind of meh in terms of overall quality.

delivers seven of the original engrossing, self-contained cases from L.A. Noire

How much content is that compared to the non VR game that people already have played? (I never played the game)

El-Suave

Sad that it's exclusive, I'd buy it for sure. I just hope it's a bir more robust than standard VR fare, the press release doesn't make me too optimistic when"operating car doors" made it in as a noteworthy feature. But beggars can't be choosers and it's good we're seeing another higher profile release in VR.

El-Suave

How much content is that compared to the non VR game that people already have played? (I never played the game)

The season pass for the original game also featured seven cases that became available eventually, a few of them having been retailer exclusive dlc before. Maybe that gives us an idea what to expect. If I remember correctly I'd say it was about 30 minutes per case but I may be wrong. The additional activities in VR might make it a bit longer, too.

ArtHands

Sad that it's exclusive, I'd buy it for sure. I just hope it's a bir more robust than standard VR fare, the press release doesn't make me too optimistic when"operating car doors" made it in as a noteworthy feature. But beggars can't be choosers and it's good we're seeing another higher profile release in VR.

Its not so much as saying that's a noteworthy feature, but more like saying its not going to be a lazy VR port, and that they are going deep in to actually rebuild it to the point where you can actually interact with the items via motion control.

cakely

Said it in another thread but this a perfect fit for VR.

Crime scene investigation (looking for objects, manipulating objects) interviews and interrogations.

I'm actually surprised that the game will include driving scenes in VR. I can't wait to see how they pull that off.

^kinda shows the potential for a lot of other FPS games to be slightly re-made to basic VR gestures...

I want play Deus Ex HR that way haha especially the Sarif and Pritchard scenes. Adam Jensen asks for this.

Top Bottom