• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar: Red Dead Redemption 2 not coming to PC

Yep , am mostly a PC gamer ( I am shit at shooting with a controller) but ive preordered the PS4 version because i ant waiting around for 6-18 months or more for the PC version if there is one.
Gee wonder why they pull this shit.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I waited for GTAV. Did a media black out. Managed it no sweat. Will do the same for this. No loss if it never comes but i dont think they would be that silly.

MiguelItUp

The only way they would do this, in my eyes, is if they released RDR and RDR2 together. A part of me believes them when they say it will never happen. But then again, I can't say I believe them wholeheartedly, because of the amount of money that would come from it.

I mean, why wouldn't you?

Side note, I'm surprised by the number of people that apparently didn't realize RDR never came to PC. Ever.

Last edited:

ZiriusOne

Yeah, right. GTAV is still selling like crazy on steam. Who in their right mind believes Rockstar would just leave that money on the table?

It's probably a tactic to make people double dip. It worked beautifully for GTAV.

It'll come out eventually. No reason for them to cannibalize their own GTAV online community for no good reason. They'll wait a few years for battle royale to die down and then release on PC.

klosos

Gee wonder why they pull this shit.

Yep 100% totally agree , am a hypocrite and i like being entertained . you see if it was Spider man or COD or Battlefield game's i dont really care about , i wouldn't go out of my way to play this. However Cowboy games dont get made very often . Cowboy games from Rockstar get made roughly every 7-8 years. so fuck ya am playing it. Gaming is one of my favorite hobbies , so why would i Not play it , because it not on my favourite bit of plastic ?

Senhua

They can still get away with this because these days a lot of gamers prioritize graphic than gameplay so they can trick you into rebuy the same game again with the slightly improved graphic / fps quality.

Last edited:

fermcr

Not buying a console for this game... and if it doesn't release on PC, guess I'm not buying the game.
Watch Red Dead Redemption 2 let's play videos on youtube if I have a itch. All in all, it will be Rockstar's loss with less sales.

Last edited:
No big deal. PlayStation is the best place to play anyhow. If you want to play it in 4K*, get a PS4 Pro #PSMasterRace

* Almost native 4K

You do know that not everyone are interested in these games though?
If you mean with that that only MS pays developers to develop XBox-exclusive titles, then you are sorely mistaken. Why do you think so many supposedly great games come out only on PS4 while the XBox is looking a bit left out?
Tech is not the reason, almost all engines by now are cross-platform.
The developers are handsomely paid for that by Sony, you can look that up everywhere. They are actively funding development of many of those big games, and of course part of that deal is that they won't fund if the game also comes out on XBox. This isn't alternative facts, it's just business at work.

Frankly I don't think the platform holders are at all concerned about what third party games appear on PC lol, let alone actively collude with the publishers to exclude PC specifically.

Business at work is developers focusing their time and resources on the platforms that represent the majority of their player base. Yes, virtually everyone has a PC, but lets not pretend that PC as a "platform" is in any way comparable hardware wise to consoles. The majority of steam users for example, do not own hardware that is capable of running modern AAA games as intended by the developers, as well as a large number of variables to account for and optimize.

The fact of the matter is Rockstar views the PC port as gravy, along with the inevitable ports to the next generation consoles. Believing otherwise is being rather naive, particularly when considering that the "Xbox exclusive" titles are now on PC.

WaterAstro

They are not lying if they have no plans for the PC version, but it doesn't mean they can't have plans in the future when the Houser bros greenlight it which is going to happen lol.

It just won't be anytime soon.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
In the end, the only thing that matters is money in order to fund these sorts of projects. To be honest, Rockstar answers to Take-Two Interactive (parent company). If a Take Two President/CEO says "there will be no Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC", then maybe believe it. Otherwise, it's pretty much banter taken from the mouth of Nigel West

This is America, where a lying, cheating degenerate like myself can prosper.
Nigel West Dickens

At this time, since the latest tid-bits of information regarding RDR2 have released, Take-Two shares are Up and will continue to rise towards release:

*$133.07 /share

*source: Take Two Games

Last edited:
If you mean with that that only MS pays developers to develop XBox-exclusive titles, then you are sorely mistaken. Why do you think so many supposedly great games come out only on PS4 while the XBox is looking a bit left out?
Tech is not the reason, almost all engines by now are cross-platform.
The developers are handsomely paid for that by Sony, you can look that up everywhere. They are actively funding development of many of those big games, and of course part of that deal is that they won't fund if the game also comes out on XBox. This isn't alternative facts, it's just business at work.
funding development is not paying to keep content off of another platform. You have no idea what you're talking about.

prag16

Banned
tenor.gif

JimmyJones

Banned
Well it's a no from me then. I have a PS4 as well, but I refuse to support them after the shambles that is GTA online.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
funding development is not paying to keep content off of another platform. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Are you really that hopelessly naive?
Do you honesty believe that the contract for a game that Sony funded (or anyone who would do such a contract, I'm not trying to blame Sony here or anything) would not include a clause that prevents the game from being released on certain platforms?

If you don't want to believe me for whatever reason, believe people who actually work in the industry and not "just" very close to it like me.

Or do you just want to save face here by trying to argue semantics? Funding the development of a game with a clause for it to stay exclusive DOES keep content off of another platform.
Exclusivity deals are a norm - in any industry, and may make even more sense in the games industry (at least for the hardware producers like Sony and MS). This exlusivity might of course be temporary in nature.

Game development does not happen in a vacuum. You are likely too young or have generally no insight into business practices and contracts, but game development needs to be funded. You don't develop AAA games and THEN try to bring them on a platform, at which point you sign a deal with Sony in which they pay you for exclusivity.
The deals are signed first (and platforms determined first) and all of that includes exclusivity clauses - neither developers nor console producers deny any of this, so your stance is irritating to say the least.

Last edited:

The Skull

At this point they can just say "Look, you know it'll come out eventually on PC. We just want people to double dip" and no one would bat an eye lid and no sales would be lost.

sertopico

They'll never say it's coming on PCs right before the game gets published on PS4, that would be like taking a piss in the wind from an economic perspective. Not to mention the fact Sony would never allow it.

Anyway, to me it's out of question the game will be ported. GTA and RDR are two separate entities with a different background and development. RDR is born and will die on console.

Last edited:
Once again, if Rockstar keeps quiet I have no reason to assume it will happen, you can speculate till the cows come home but it doesn't make anything for a fact.

My gut feeling says that if it does happen it won't happen for another year or year+ which I wouldn't even want to wait even if I knew for sure.

And frankly, I don't think it's gonna happen at all, I feel that Rockstar has probably made a conscious decision to keep RDR a console franchise since the first game never made it to PC.

And that's fine, once I finally stopped caring and gave RDR a full playthrough on 360 last year it was totally fine, was it 720p/1080p? 30fps/60fps? I don't know, I stopped caring and didn't even notice once I really got into the game.

I love PC gaming but there comes a time when sweating too much over nitty gritty technical details like that becomes ridiculous.

Last edited:

noise36

Rockstar going for the 100million triple dip just like with GTA.

They know people will buy it on current gen consoles, then PC , then next gen consoles

It grinds my gears so hard that GTA doesn't have a pro/X patch... simultaneously love and hate rockstar

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Well, I guess there is the issue of RDR never coming to PC so there is a question over what the PC audience size is for a sequel, though from I understand RDR2 is a prequel of sorts, so mayhap not that much of an issue. I suspect it will come to PC because albeit it's not as big a market as XBOX or PS4, it's still several million units substantive, but it's certainly not coming anytime soon.

Elenchus

Banned
This is where the fantasy of PC gaming crashes into the iceberg of reality. No AAA exclusives. Uncertainty about console ports. And waiting endlessly in bitterness to play Rockstar games. All of which may be acceptable to an enthusiast but if I’m talking to a parent with a kid who just wants to play some games, I’m not directing them to pcpartpicker.com. This shit is supposed to be easy...and above all that...fun. Some here have clearly lost the plot.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Frankly I don't think the platform holders are at all concerned about what third party games appear on PC lol, let alone actively collude with the publishers to exclude PC specifically.

Business at work is developers focusing their time and resources on the platforms that represent the majority of their player base. Yes, virtually everyone has a PC, but lets not pretend that PC as a "platform" is in any way comparable hardware wise to consoles. The majority of steam users for example, do not own hardware that is capable of running modern AAA games as intended by the developers, as well as a large number of variables to account for and optimize.

The fact of the matter is Rockstar views the PC port as gravy, along with the inevitable ports to the next generation consoles. Believing otherwise is being rather naive, particularly when considering that the "Xbox exclusive" titles are now on PC.

Your post made me realize that I'm more than likely for sure going to be double-dipping on this game on the PS5 or Xbox Scarlet. 😂

Then again it'll probably be fully BC on both and receive a performance patch.

MayauMiao

Even if the game will eventually be on PC, I don't think I can wait that long for a title this big. As a person who cares greately about single player experience, avoiding spoilers would be close to impossible especially when some youtube channel spoils the game via thumbnails image or the video title. I tried that with God of War and Spider-Man, and almost always run into channel with spoilers.

Might as well stop the suffering and go console version.

Yeah I don't believe it. The CEO stated the PC was a big important part of their business. It will be on pc.

Last edited:

twdnewh_k

GTA V sold very well on PC, and the multiplayer component continues to generate a lot of revenue; there is no way this wont come to PC specially now that mp is in the mix.

It will be like GTA V, it will come in a year or so; and I'll be waiting.

This is where the fantasy of PC gaming crashes into the iceberg of reality. No AAA exclusives. Uncertainty about console ports. And waiting endlessly in bitterness to play Rockstar games. All of which may be acceptable to an enthusiast but if I’m talking to a parent with a kid who just wants to play some games, I’m not directing them to pcpartpicker.com. This shit is supposed to be easy...and above all that...fun. Some here have clearly lost the plot.

PC gaming is gaming for grown ups and these days is mainly about just being able to play the premium versions of multi-platform AAA games.

It's certainly not something kids should be worried about, but if you're a real enthusiast like me it's great to be able to turbo charge your games, it's very possible I would have strayed away from gaming as a hobby had I not gotten a gaming PC in 2010 which revived my interest greatly.

But you're right that there is no such thing as AAA PC exclusives anymore but gamers had to be greedy little pirates and kill that market flat out dead, so there's no use in crying about it.

And speaking of which, remember that attitude a decade ago where /v/ types would actually joke about piracy? "What is "buy"?" and "yeah, you spend more on the hardware but you save money by never having to buy any games" or playing little semantics games like "getting something you didn't pay for isn't theft, it's piracy!" and all that bullshit, not knowing they were driving an entire market into literal 100% extinction? Good job guys! You really showed 'em!

But at least PC has come back around to being a great all-in-one platform that gives you access to the widest number of games.

petran79

Banned
I believe it's the console manufacturers deliberately and maliciously bribing Rockstar to prevent this from happening. Yes, consoles have already exclusives to entice a pc player to buy a console, and while pc has got sandbox games, the one genre they definitely do not have is an open world third person western adventure game.
Think about it: there's mediocre stuff like Juarez, or Gun, but nothing on the scale of RDR. A PC version would actually make consoles look useless in many people's eyes, and I'm not talking about graphics. RDR has probably become an event on the scale of Zelda if not bigger, it's probably the only actual multiplatform killer application left, aside from Kingdom Hearts.

PC has Outlaws and Desperados though

nemiroff

Gold Member
Of course it will. But It's a shame they are forced to do this song and dance of lies in front of their loyal fans to ensure double dipping and to please MS/Sony.

With that said, my era of double dipping is definitely over; I no longer have a console since I went all-in on PC. Not going to change that over one game even if it's great.

Last edited:
Not sure if I am getting the game yet but if I do and multiplayer is psplus only then I guess I don't have to worry about being around kill on sight degenerates.

Top Bottom