• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rod Fergusson says The Coalition are open to making games other than Gears in the future

Grinchy

Banned
I wish they were at least allowed to change up the formula a little bit. Gears is so stale at this point. The movement and cover stuff is so clunky and antiquated.

blah.. blah... blah
Gears 5 mas a masterpiece of a game both technically and story wise.
No open world game has won a GOTY award in recent years so I'm not sure why you are making it some sort of critria for a good game.
Is God of war a open world game? Is Sekiro? Is Control? Is The Last of Us? Which of those games is "Meh" by virtue of not being an open world game?
Smh.
Do explain why gears 5 is a masterpiece 😂

martino

You act like they murdered Bungie or something. They wanted to do their own thing, so Microsoft made them independent. There is nothing stopping Coalition from doing another IP, and they themselves have already hinted at it a lot for now, irrespective of how much some GAF poster tries to push the narrative. 343i and Turn 10 do want to make more Halo and Forza and contrary to what some people here think, they actually love doing that.

It's more you who jump on my opinion like I'm blaspheming.
The bold is why i see the approach one license/one studio is new great in the long run if it's not the studio will.
And reading between the line here with my own perception of Dev work with a very directive hierarchy, i see it here (i can be wrong but it's how i feel).
It reads like they have little weight in decisions when it come to some freedom.
It works fine when objectives are aligned, but otherwise it can lead to bungie situation.
I'm not saying there is a studio where it's the case atm.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It's more you who jump on my opinion like I'm blaspheming.
The bold is why i see the approach one license/one studio is new great in the long run if it's not the studio will.
And reading between the line here with my own perception of Dev work with a very directive hierarchy, i see it here (i can be wrong but it's how i feel).
It reads like they have little weight in decisions when it come to some freedom.
It works fine when objectives are aligned, but otherwise it can lead to bungie situation.
I'm not saying there is a studio where it's the case atm.
So little weight that they were allowed to be independent.
Most of Microsoft’s “franchises“ are stale and boring these days. They really need to inject some new blood and innovation in their lineup.
Did the way people responded to Forza Horizon 4 or Halo Infinite announcement in any way sound like "stale and boring". Or should they now move to satisfy your opinion over people who actually care instead ?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
imagine if independence was not needed for freedom.
Destiny would be an Xbox exclusive.
they lost something doing it this way imo.
You do realise that companies dont usually make a subsidiary independent ? Will Amazon just let Twitch go? No they wont. If they wanted they could have managed Bungie like Activision manages their studios, and replace Bungie hire ups with their own people. Instead they created 343i.
For example, are they forcing Playground Games to only make Forza Horizon ? No, they are making a RPG game now.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

I'm fucking tired about Gears. I don't want to play it anymore.

And so my friends. I'm not joking. Gears has lost its charm after the third game. It's a franchise developed for the sixth generation,
for those years where online gaming was growing on consoles. And more importantly, Gears is a game where maturity stage of the game life cycle shows that sales have reached the peak. The game has already reached widespread acceptance in the market years ago, in relative terms. Gears life cycle is in it's decline phase, and I feel like Gears 5 was the make or break game for the franchise.

martino

You do realise that companies dont usually make a subsidiary independent ? Will Amazon just let Twitch go? No they wont. If they wanted they could have managed Bungie like Activision manages their studios, and replace Bungie hire ups with their own people. Instead they created 343i.
For example, are they forcing Playground Games to only make Forza Horizon ? No, they are making a RPG game now.

that's actually a good example.

ZywyPL

Banned
I would like to see a new IP from them, they are the ones who squeeze the most out of Unreal Engine, it's such a waste they keep doing nothing but Gears.

Top Bottom