• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 now available in English for iOS/Android

MilkBeard

Just found out this released and bought it. Gonna dig into now.

I liked 3 more than 2 to be honest, but this is still a good game and I want to show support to get an iOS/Android remake of RS3 and encourage more premium mobile games (or at least ports, I still want a mobile port of Tactics Ogre really bad).

I'd love a remake for Romancing SaGa 3. I've played a little bit of the game, with an imperfect English translation. Would buy it in a heartbeat if they released it for mobile.

It's hard to say if this game will sell enough to warrant it, though, at least for an English release.

Kiiiinda wish they had fixed it so you can't waste consumables on characters that don't need them on the camp menu. I wasted like three MP restore items on my mage because I was trying to scroll up to the MC without realizing I had to back out a menu first. :/

Does anyone know how long it takes for building requests to come back around? I didn't have enough money for the research center so I had to pass it up, and I'm hoping it isn't locked until the next generation shift.

Vamphuntr

Does anyone know how long it takes for building requests to come back around? I didn't have enough money for the research center so I had to pass it up, and I'm hoping it isn't locked until the next generation shift.

Keep sitting on the throne until he asks you for it again.

MilkBeard

Finally beat Gerard's scenario. That castle dungeon was scary, lol. And they hid the boss pretty well.

I decided to pick Amethyst the court mage for my next heir. I wanted to try something a little different.

Vamphuntr

Finally beat Gerard's scenario. That castle dungeon was scary, lol. And they hid the boss pretty well.

I decided to pick Amethyst the court mage for my next heir. I wanted to try something a little different.

The dungeon is actually easy if you listen to the people in the bar and get the thieves guild to help you :) The female thief drops sword pointing in the direction to go.

MilkBeard

The dungeon is actually easy if you listen to the people in the bar and get the thieves guild to help you :) The female thief drops sword pointing in the direction to go.
Ah, I see. I paid the guy at the bar near the fortress. When you do this, after getting to the thieves guild, they won't help you. Your character says 'nevermind.'

Might try that next time in another play through.

Edit:. I am glad they allow you to carry learned skills through the game. All the skills in your party can be transferred in the next generation leap. Glad they allowed that. The guys standing near the formation allow you to reassign skills.

I had always wondered about these early SaGa games when you seal a skill, if it's gone for good or if you can get it back.

MilkBeard

I see it's important to talk to the scholar in the castle that says "I gather information" from time to time to know about possible paths. Then it's important to talk to people in pubs especially to allow some of those paths to open up ;)

Vamphuntr

The game's structure after the second generation is a bit weird. It switches generation randomly after you complete a bunch of quests?

Aeana

The game's structure after the second generation is a bit weird. It switches generation randomly after you complete a bunch of quests?

On average, you'll switch generations after 3 scenarios or so. To get into details, generation changes are actually based on the number of battles fought. After a scenario is completed, it checks the number and if it's above a certain amount, it triggers the change. EDIT: to be clear, it's not just battles -- scenarios themselves have a value as well, some give more points than others. It's battles fought + scenario points reaching a certain level that triggers the change.

Vamphuntr

On average, you'll switch generations after 3 scenarios or so. To get into details, generation changes are actually based on the number of battles fought. After a scenario is completed, it checks the number and if it's above a certain amount, it triggers the change. EDIT: to be clear, it's not just battles -- scenarios themselves have a value as well, some give more points than others. It's battles fought + scenario points reaching a certain level that triggers the change.

Ah I see that's helpful. Since you can pass up all skills anyway I don't see much issues with this unless you can miss quests permanently by not doing specific stuff in a specific generation until you run out of time.

Wingus

Things going swimmingly at the moment after my failed attempt at beating Dantarg...

Upgraded the orchard, built the University and building the magic center right now, and trying different classes as the emperor/empress to unlock more formations.

I do like the dialogue whenever the emperor (rarely) speaks.

cAxXgvN.png

Gyoru

I forgot, is there a way to screw yourself out of unlocking Armed Merchant

You have to overhear the conversation about the highlands approach in town and do that instead of going through the mines then riding the ship. I think your current emperor needs to be a sneaky class to be able to overhear the conversation - rogue/monk/etc. My Vagabond leader was able to get the event to trigger.

When you reach the leader, choose the 2nd option of subjugating the armed merchants instead of forming an alliance. Doing so unlocks the merchant class. If you take the ship route, you don't get that option.

I went through the mines first anyway because there's good loot then backtracked to the highlands.

MilkBeard

You have to overhear the conversation about the highlands approach in town and do that instead of going through the mines then riding the ship. I think your current emperor needs to be a sneaky class to be able to overhear the conversation - rogue/monk/etc. My Vagabond leader was able to get the event to trigger.

When you reach the leader, choose the 2nd option of subjugating the armed merchants instead of forming an alliance. Doing so unlocks the merchant class. If you take the ship route, you don't get that option.

I went through the mines first anyway because there's good loot then backtracked to the highlands.
Crazy. This game is going to be crazy replayable.

Hmm I did the mines/cleaning the ship path and still got the option to not pay them (but it looks like that doesn't work either). I know there's also a method of stealing their boat and navigating the waterways to their base, but it's literally been years since I did that.

Edit: Nevermind, I reloaded a previous save and I think I have it all figured it out

• Sneaky class overhears the plans in the building beside the harbor -> Unlocks the landpath to the base and allows you to recruit the Armed Merchants
  • Boarding the ship and asking to work together with the pirate on the lower deck -> Unlocks the mine, but makes it impossibe to actually recruit the Armed Merchants
  • Boarding the ship and telling the the pirate below deck to surrender and work for you -> Allows you to commandeer the ship and navigate a water dungeon (allows you to recruit the Armed Merchants)

Neoweee

It's basically impossible to dodge battles in this version, ugh. I almost want to refund it because its so hard to actually move around accurately.

I want a refund. This might be the worst UI in an S-E mobile game.

This is the worst of their mobile release that I've played by a large margin.

Thalun

Neo Member
Ah, I see. I paid the guy at the bar near the fortress. When you do this, after getting to the thieves guild, they won't help you. Your character says 'nevermind.'

I did the same thing but I was able to "undo" it and get the thieves guild to help. When the guy I paid came back and told me to follow him, I went into the building below the bar instead. When I came back out, it had changed from night to day and the guy was no longer waiting with a boat. When I went back to the thieves guild, instead of being asked to leave like before, I was able to ask for their help.

Hope this helps someone like me who paid the guy before talking to the others in the bar.

Wingus

Now this is a blast from the past! Found a fatestone that I gave to the blacksmith, and he made the Seven Sword for me. Was this weapon in the original RS2? I remember it being in SaGa 2 on Gameboy.

Now it's my most powerful sword to date...

vq8slh2.png

Has anyone found any of the extra content yet?

The Maze of Memory can be found relatively early in the game. It's in the same region as Atlanticus.

puqQ0Wo.jpg

I'm a little worried that between Agatha and Lily that this team might be too magic-oriented, but I gave them both bows and Stunner so that should at least help lockdown the more dangerous enemies. Hopefully it won't take long to start pulling in the Axe techs.

Link1110

So finally beat the canal fortress. Thought I was scared on the Cumberland scenario but I managed to glitch my way out of the spriggan fight. Now on cyfreets fort.

List to dantag again cause now he's in his second form

MilkBeard

Damn, I got greedy. A generation seemed to pass and yet kept the same main character. Now I've got a party with several people with really low LP (several with one point, including main character) and the LP restore item only gives 1 LP, lol.

I explored all the way out east of the Savannah. Damn. Getting tight.

Top Bottom