• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: The American Society Of Magical Negroes (March 2024)

pel1300

Looks like a movie that was greenlit during or shortly after summer 2020...As Critical Drinker says, we gotta be patient and wait for the movies that were greenlit in 2022 onwards (when hollywood higher ups finally started getting the message) to come out - which will be around 2025.

Also the ERA thread on this movie is something else.

Last edited:

Kilau

I saw this trailer on twitter and black twitter was having none of it in the reactions. Seems like a misfire all around.

NeoGiffer

89l36s.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
White people are supposed to have issues, yet the black actor dude goes after a white chick. Given the movie's premise, you'd think he'd go after good looking chill Black woman.

As Howard Stern said in an old interview to a black celeb..... "C'mon admit it. White women are the prize. Hehehe!" And that celeb giggled in acceptance.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
White people are supposed to have issues, yet the black actor dude goes after a white chick. Given the movie's premise, you'd think he'd go after good looking chill Black woman.

As Howard Stern said in an old interview to a black celeb..... "C'mon admit it. White women are the prize. Hehehe!" And that celeb giggled in acceptance.

She's Asian. Not white.

And unfortunately, some black men really believe white women are better than women of color.

SJRB

Gold Member
Great, another tired, racist film written by people who care more about skin color and pushing immutable characteristics than saying anything of substance.

Can see the "Anyone not liking this movie is a racist" rhetoric coming from a mile away.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is based on the Magical Negro trope in movies. With a romcom forced in there.

And it'll fail because post-modernist concept pieces are long on irony, and short on sincerity. Who wants to watch a knowingly insincere rom-com?

Its like a perfect microcosm of why people are not connecting with modern movies and tv. Most people aren't offended by "the message", but when it feels the whole thing is being used to deliver "the message"... or its so heavy-handedly rammed in it makes you consider every other creative choice primarily in the context of "the message"...

If you are sincerely trying to convert somebody to your way of thinking by way of entertainment, then you need to hook them emotionally or dramatically first. Then when they're bought-in, you can make your point persuasively. Do it the other way around, and people tired of being lectured are just going to be defensive or simply tune-out.

Front-loading expectations with an obvious high-concept "meta", like this movie does in its title, is priming them to deal with uncomfortable issues. Which isn't going to make them receptive to, or expectant of the wish-fulfilment fantasy of a rom-com.

As someone noted already, what audience exactly is this movie aimed at?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As someone noted already, what audience exactly is this movie aimed at?
Bake Off Giggle GIF by PBS

It'd probably be someone like in the GIF I posted. Someone who enjoys politically slanted material. Even if it's goofy comedy like Scary Movie mocking horror flicks deep down they kind are rooting for whites to lose in a "well, you're supposed to be all rich white people overlording over everyone else, so let's all enjoy a movie dishing some comedic lumps making white people as problematic, as they can laugh it off while their butler makes them espressos".

Parody movies like Scary Movie dont have a political slant to it. Its goofing on horror movies. But when you get to political content even when parodied it gets hopping on thin ice.

For example, let's say there was a political movie where it's "American Society of Magical Whites" where every white person lived in a mansion and the parody was all minorities are down in the dumps losers needing a ghost white guardian angel to get through life, it's been shot down asap.

When it comes to parodies and satire, everyone understands that it's easier to make fun of a rich guy or CEO (class based tiers where every gender or ethnic background are similar when it comes to money and career), but when you get into ethnic tiers it's a red flag of stupidity because no ethnic group is blanket this or that.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The concept I get and am kinda interested in, this is gonna be a "get some whisky, dim the lights, and take this ride" kinda thing. Will it be provocative? Undoubtedly. Will it have black culture taking any responsibility? We'll see. Are there aspects of white society and how they treat black people that need to be highlighted? Absolutely!

I have hopes for this, though I'm sure it will be hard to walk the line between both camps.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It is funny that they cast Justice in this as the "magical negro" when he said he was too light for black roles though...

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The concept I get and am kinda interested in, this is gonna be a "get some whisky, dim the lights, and take this ride" kinda thing. Will it be provocative? Undoubtedly. Will it have black culture taking any responsibility? We'll see. Are there aspects of white society and how they treat black people that need to be highlighted? Absolutely!

I have hopes for this, though I'm sure it will be hard to walk the line between both camps.

This is a thoughtful take! It's satire and meant to be weird. It's why they have The Blackening (based on that Funny or Die skit).

Atrus

Gold Member
The concept seems wasted on it being a romance comedy and the trailer seems to pretty much spell out the story.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Bake Off Giggle GIF by PBS

It'd probably be someone like in the GIF I posted. Someone who enjoys politically slanted material. Even if it's goofy comedy like Scary Movie mocking horror flicks deep down they kind are rooting for whites to lose in a "well, you're supposed to be all rich white people overlording over everyone else, so let's all enjoy a movie dishing some comedic lumps making white people as problematic, as they can laugh it off while their butler makes them espressos".

Parody movies like Scary Movie dont have a political slant to it. Its goofing on horror movies. But when you get to political content even when parodied it gets hopping on thin ice.

For example, let's say there was a political movie where it's "American Society of Magical Whites" where every white person lived in a mansion and the parody was all minorities are down in the dumps losers needing a ghost white guardian angel to get through life, it's been shot down asap.

When it comes to parodies and satire, everyone understands that it's easier to make fun of a rich guy or CEO (class based tiers where every gender or ethnic background are similar when it comes to money and career), but when you get into ethnic tiers it's a red flag of stupidity because no ethnic group is blanket this or that.

There's lots of movies that make people feel uncomfortable... Joker, killers of the flower moon, etc. Like I said, the title of the movie, and part of the story, is based on the trope. Your example isn't a thing so it makes no sense to compare. You can't compare something that exists to a hypothetical thing that doesn't and can't. It's like when people compare a fictional character to a real life person.

And while you're only partially correct, I don't think they're making fun of white people because what the protagonist is up against is the "system" of the society. Not white people. The charter of the society is to help white people so they're less afraid or suspicious of black people and see us in a better light. That's the whole premise of the magical negro trope.

Movies like How to Be a Menace While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood or Scary Movie are satire masquerading as silly comedies (at least the first Scary Movie was a satire).

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The most dangerous animals on the planet are white people feeling uncomfortable? And their job is to make white people feel more comfortable?

What? I'm a loss of how anybody thought this was a good idea.

midnightAI

Is this the full title of the Disney film... Snow White and the American Society of Magical Negroes?

(I'm sure someone will post the nsfw screenshot ;) )

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
rofl this is not some kind of satire/parody movie???

Laugh Lol GIF
Yes, it is a very obvious satire, based in the very real literary trope of the Magical Negro.

I think that idea is a pretty funny one, although this movie seems to be trying awfully hard to avoid a racially stereotypical portrayal of its characters which seems a bit like having your cake and eating it too.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This seems aimed solely at self-hating whites.

The movie is being funded/financed/produced almost entirely by white people too lol

Here are the films producers:

Julia Lebedev

Julia-Lebedev-Feet-2751498.jpg

Leonid Lebedev
Leonid_Lebedev.jpg

Oren Moverman
images

Eddie Vaisman

Shutterstock_8558864t.jpg

Rita Walsh

image-w856.jpg

Only ones missing are Angel Lopez (Latino) and the director himself, Kobi Libii (black/white mix)

edit: not for me to call them self hating, but definitely in it for a quick buck. Racial tension is very high right now so they probably looking at this with dollar sign eyes. little do they know it will probably be the biggest flop of the year

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think maybe they chose the wrong person for the main role going by this trailer. I dont believe this light skin, nerdy, well spoken black guy has trouble navigating around white people. it's just not very believable.

I'm a well spoken black man who isn't tall and muscular or looks "stereotypically" like movies like to portray as being from the hood... I'm from the hood and education was pushed when I was growing up...

Even I have had trouble navigating around white people... Been given dirty looks in stores or just around in the park, white women clutching their purses tighter when I am not even near them... I fear a Karen more than I fear a white man.

Edit: I've seen light skinned black men who experienced the same things I have. Despite being a nerdy black guy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom