• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rowan Atkinson blasts UK religious hate bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
GO MR BEAN!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4075831.stm

Inappropriate?

On Monday, Blackadder star Rowan Atkinson launched a comedians' campaign against the plan.

The Mr Bean actor says it is "wholly inappropriate" and could stifle freedom of speech.

Speaking at Westminster, Mr Atkinson was backed by a group of writers, MPs and the National Secular Society.

They oppose part of the bill which will create a new offence of incitement to religious hatred to protect faith groups, particularly Muslims, from attack.

There are already enough laws to deal with such extremists, they say.

Conflict?

Mr Atkinson told a meeting at the House of Commons on Monday night there are "quite a few sketches" he has performed which would come into conflict with the proposed law.

He added: "To criticise a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous but to criticise their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom.

"The freedom to criticise ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society.

"A law which attempts to say you can criticise and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed."

Comedians are worried about freedom of speech

He said he had sympathy with the law's backers, particular British Muslims, but added: "I appreciate this measure is an attempt to provide comfort and protection to them.

"But unfortunately it is wholly inappropriate response far more likely to promote tension between communities than tolerance."

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
To criticise a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous but to criticise their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom.
that's a mighty questionable distinction he's making, as i can't see how racial humor is any different than religious humor, or any type of humor really.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
scorcho said:
that's a mighty questionable distinction he's making, as i can't see how racial humor is any different than religious humor, or any type of humor really.

One's a decision. One's not.

snaildog

scorcho said:
no difference, people will find offense at either and there's no point in nitpicking.
Think of any topic and there are some people out there that would be offended by it. What's your point? Shall we just all stop communicating?

Criticizing a religion (and people of a religion) is a bit different from criticizing a belief. If the bill was to clearly differentiate the two, while protecting the right of the latter, it would be far more appropriate. Saying something of "muslims" and saying something of "jews" is quite different from directly referring to a component of their beliefs.

More likely than not Atkinson had a sketch alluding to some belief, for example the notion of X number of virgins waiting in heaven, or Jews chopping off the foreskin, or hindus regarding cows as sacred. If the bill stands to prosecute against that, then it's too far reaching.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
snaildog said:
Think of any topic and there are some people out there that would be offended by it. What's your point? Shall we just all stop communicating?
thank you for framing my point. people are going to be offended by any manners of speech, and nitpicking between relgion and race is as illogical as making one between obesity and a physical deformity.

etiolate

Banned
One's a decision. One's not.

So what is making fun of Jews? Is it race or religious mockery? You are born into the Jewish faith by being Jewish. Catholics baptise their children as newborns.

Why not just sit back and laugh at it all? Race is obvservation based. If a comedian mocks a black man in a FUBU outfit and then mocks ebonics, is that racist? It is the person's choice to behave that way. Pigment doesn't determine who you are.

What they both are is groups and quite often people grouping themselves. So why not just sit back and laugh at it all?

I don't know why Rowan makes the distinction other than just protecting his material.

Mr Bean still rocks.

Kuramu

wtg Edmund

blackadder_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom