• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal Navy fires flares at Spanish vessel in British waters off Gibraltar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

The Royal Navy has fired flares at a Spanish research vessel after it strayed into British Gibraltar territorial waters.

HMS Sabre gave the warning to Angeles Alvarino after attempts to contact it by radio failed.

The research vessel, which is investigating the geological risks to the seabed, left British waters after the flares were fired.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “The Royal Navy challenges all unlawful maritime incursions into British Gibraltar territorial waters (BGTW). We back this up by making formal diplomatic protests to the Spanish government.”

Gibraltar’s chief minister, Fabian Picardo, said he had been in contact with the commander of British Forces, Cdre Mike Walliker.

He said: “I have discussed all the tactical decisions taken and am satisfied that they have been designed to demonstrate untrammelled sovereignty, jurisdiction and control over BGTW.

“I congratulate the Royal Navy for the work they have undertaken so far in very challenging circumstances in light of the reckless disregard for safety displayed by the official Spanish vessels involved.

“Diplomatic and political action must now support the excellent work undertaken by the navy personnel with limited resources.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...panish-vessel-in-british-waters-off-gibraltar

One member of the research crew said on Twitter:
Don´t shoot @RoyalNavy! We are only oceanographers searching #BayOfAlgeciras!
https://twitter.com/v_diazdelrio/status/800399554516582400

Great to see this happen between 'allies'.

Jezbollah

Spain and the UK are far from allies when it comes to Gibraltar. It's been a matter of contention (and spurious incidents like this) for decades.

Chariot

Come on Spain, make an open statement that you would support an independent Scotland entering the EU (when the independence happens within the due process).

Nivash

Teresa May is trying to pull a Tatcher?

A war against Spanish speaking people with a female PM in charge of a navy barely capable of conducting it, about a rock with barely any people but where the people want to remain British despite being geographically closer to the enemy country, and with both being remnants of the old imperial possessions?

Gotta say, the similarities are striking.

kmag

Symphonia

Banned
Great to see this happen between 'allies'.
You don't know much about the history of/battle for Gibraltar, do you? As far as that rock is concerned, the UK and Spain have never been allies. And with all this Brexit fiasco going on, the animosity between the two will only get worse. Also, I lol'd at the Spanish tweeting the Navy. That's exactly the thing to do in an emergency...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The debate about Gibraltar would be much healthier if everybody got into their noggins that neither the British government nor the Spanish one have any genuine interest in the place nor the wellbeing of their inhabitants.

The UK was ready to do them dirty until Franco doubled down on the stupid and the Spanish's government (specially when conservatives are the ones running things) will only use it as a tool of distraction.

It's principal value is geopolitical posturing for some noxious and manipulative politicians.

danowat

Banned
I've just got a mental picture of sailors using a t-shirt canon to fire bell bottomed trousers at the Spanish ship.

Yeah. Turning away research vessels seems extra ordinarily petty. :/ What is so special about the waters?

I don't think so. If you don't establish that you need Royal Navy permission to enter those waters, whoever you are, then you don't really have control over them.

Edit:

Anyway, I don't see the problem here. Unauthorised boat crossed a line, we fired flares, they went away. Everything seems to have worked fine, hardly an international incident.

Mik2121

Regarding the Gibraltar talk, as Funky Papa said, they can have it and all their monkeys. That piece of rock is not worth any dispute with the UK. The waters are a different issue though, but any Spaniard saying "Gibraltar Español" is just trying to provoke more than anything.

Strax

Kinda strange fighting over this rock went both Spain and England have massive problems with parts of their countries wanting independence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom