• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPGs with amazing progression systems

lingiii

Banned
I see some of you like FFX's sphere grid...

Well, Path of Exile is right up your alley!

wzBmR.png

sweet lordy it's beautiful.

Anyway I always loved Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis. Basically each character had a set of acheivements "kill 5 beast type enemies" "block 10 attacks", that were then used to determine availability for class-change. Want to be come a Beast Tamer? Have stats XYZ, W proficiency with whips, and you best not have the "killed beasts" medal. Can't be a dragoon unless you've proved your Dragon hate by killing 15 of them and getting the dragon slayer medal or whatever.

Means your choices in an individual battle or even turn can determine the available path of your character.

Seda

Although The Last Remnant does a terrible job at explaining character/skill progression, it has become a favorite. Really just boils down to the types of skills you use become stronger and more varied.

Sentenza

Yep. Darklands had one of the best. It's too bad no other game(that I can think of) decided to emulate it.
The "clerical" magic system still blows my mind... But yeah, it was awesome all around, starting with that insanely deep character creation.

Don't even get me started on the Elder Scrolls progression system. Morrowind is one of my favorite RPG, but even its progression system was meh at best. It encouraged min-maxing and power gaming a little too much. Then on top of that you actually had things like picking skills you have bounes in hurts you in the long run.(because you have less skill points to earn your maximum level is lowered) Then we have Oblivion that made it worse by adding in scaling.

I think I might be one of the few lovers of Morrowind who actually thought Skyrim's progression system was an improvement. Not that Skyrim's is very good either its just an improvement. I didn't like the dropping of skills or the attributes, but I would take that over the very flawed systems of Morrowind and Oblivion.

An example of a good progress by doing system like the Elder Scrolls is Darklands. It has the same basic idea and setup, but doesn't have the same problems.
Exactly what I meant when I said I find morrowind's system terrible.
I also agree on Skyrim (and I should stress that I really, really don't like Skyrim as a whole).

Almighty

The "clerical" magic system still blows my mind... But yeah, it was awesome all around, starting with that insanely deep character creation.

I will admit I was never able to figure out the magic system. Trying to figure out which saints would be useful was something that I as a younger man was not able to master. Next time I start the game(thank you GOG) I will have to try to finally figure it out.

The character creation system though now there is something I had fun with. Trying to figure out if I should create a noble or a street urchin then trying to figure out what life the character should lead that would be most useful to my party. All the while trying to find a balance between the vigour of youth and the experience of age. It was such a great system.

What I wouldn't give for a spiritual successor to Darklands. Sadly though even with the current kickstater revival I still don't hold out much hope.

cluto

Are there any good examples of non-traditional player progression? Something that doesn't include experience points, leveling up, skills, and that sort of stuff? I'd be interested in hearing about any game with something like that, RPG or otherwise.

I started playing Birth by Sleep this week and came to post that, but I see that op already has me covered.

There are just so many cool systems. I'm already addicted to command melding. I can just tell that I am going to end up with some awesome commands, long before the game intended me to, by just breaking the system, going all out crazy. trying all different combinations.

And you can level up your abilities by playing a board game. How awesome is that?

And trying the different d-links is just awesome. So, I try Maleficent's d-link and unlock an ability that allows to me use shotlock commands (this game's equivalent to Final Fantasy's limit break) much more often. Then I unlock drain and before I know it I'm flying on a fucking dragon!

I swear, this game...

kurahador

Yup...FFX is definitely have the most unique progression in rpgs that i've played. Wish more games would copied it.

Path of Exile is not my type of game sadly.

Shadowbane had an interesting character building system. Check these (the first two are my design, one is my adaptation on a rarely seen spec, and the last one was as "cookie cutter" as far this game was concerned):

Smarty Barbarian: Max INT for sky high 2h Ax skill, take Gladiator rune for the +Accuracy buff, drop in to Precise Stance, drop high avoidance fools with a "low accruacy class" Single handedly made half-giant barbs viable again.

C-Class PvP Human Druid: Some good heals, but could also CC like a mother and hit like a freight train dual-wielding mack trucks. Insane synergy with melee, Furies, and Lightning Channellers. Could single-handedly outpace a siege-specced healing priest's healing if geared out enough. Frightening.

Dual Dorf Sader: Dual wielding 1h maces (unheard of in a paladin-type class) twisting chants. Lay on Hands. Snares. Every melee debuff known to man. Procs procs, PROCS! If you ain't got wings/plate/lots of healing/a druid really damn good at kiting, your ass was jackhammered dead.

Half-Elf-Knight-Dark Knight-Werewolf wielding a crossbow. Nuff said.

Watching MMO after MMO deem fit to tangle with simpler loadout-based mmmmmmmmmmmmmobas' character building systems instead of more in-depth long-running systems like this is perplexing to me.

SMT: Nocturne.

The Demifiend starts off basically weak to everything but by the end of the game with the right stat management and careful acquisition of different Magatama you become a nigh-invincible god.

That game's melding of the narrative of the Demifiend doing such things and him in-battle becoming a force of nature was very, very well done. Dont' forget the demons too!

The Etrian Oddyssy games immedietly spring to mind for how much they make every single level and point matter.

This is one of the reasons I'm glad the subclassing is gone with EO4, it shat all over the delicate balance the 5-man system worked with in this series. 4 was too few people to do anything with and made a death a critical emergency by default, 6 covered all the bases.

djtiesto said:
I liked trying to counterfeit money and failing and then having bounced checks suck my money away. But yeah, SO2 has the absolute best skill/item creation system I've ever seen in a game (it also happens to be my #2 favorite RPG of all time). The amount of shit you can do in it is legendary. Pickpocket from your party members? Mix herbs together RE style? Send a pigeon out from a dungeon to pick up items for you? Cook food and enter into an Iron Chef style tournament? Write a symphony and then play it back to stimulate your characters to invent better shit? Go for it!

There are (many) reasons I hold SO3 in contempt, and this is one of those reasons why.

eot

Banned
Don't even get me started on the Elder Scrolls progression system. Morrowind is one of my favorite RPG, but even its progression system was meh at best. It encouraged min-maxing and power gaming a little too much. Then on top of that you actually had things like picking skills you have bonuses in hurts you in the long run.(because you have less skill points to earn your maximum level is lowered) Then we have Oblivion that made it worse by adding in scaling.

God damn Morrowind. I probably pressed jump more times in that game than I did in all my time playing Super Meat Boy.

Mxrz

I don't like most jrpg systems. They're all combat grind in the end.

Vamp, or gamewise, VTM: Bloodlines. - No XP from direct combat, but instead quests, experiences and exploring. For once I didn't feel the need to butcher enemies as to not miss out on xp, (but instead because it was fun.)

Vanilla/bc wow - The 3 specs each felt different, and talents weren't so OP as to make up for any weaknesses like later on. Gear variation only added to it.

FFT / FF5 / FF12 / DW7 - Only if you didn't go grind-nuts and give characters every ability. Playing as specific classes kept it in balance. FFT sorta spoiled it with all the specialty classes for the npcs.

Fallout - Stat points actually matter and affect things. Perks that give different convos and quest solutions was pretty unique at the time.

Vice City / San Andreas - Not an RPG, and nothing to do with any sort of stat point, but in terms of character progression these were top notch. Basically start out as a bum doing menial work for lowlifes, end up as the criminal lord of a city. Dropping this from GTA4 was a terrible, terrible decision.

Jezan

Golden Sun.

Gotta get them Djinn, yo.
This!

The first time I thought you should assign each element djinn to the same element adept. Because that would make them more powerful, until I started playing around discovering better classes/stat growth.

Sentenza

I don't like most jrpg systems. They're all combat grind in the end.

Vamp, or gamewise, VTM: Bloodlines. - No XP from direct combat, but instead quests, experiences and exploring. For once I didn't feel the need to butcher enemies as to not miss out on xp, (but instead because it was fun.)
The "goal-driven" experience system in Bloodlines was a thing of beauty, yes.

Anything where you accumulate points and spend them is good. FFT is a particular favorite of mine. I also really loved DQ8's skill system, because it managed to combine having characters having skills appropriate to their, er, character, with a skill system that you can control.

I'm not usually fond of systems where you have to use a move over and over to improve skill or something, but I like the latter day SaGa series' take on it. The randomness of learning skills in SaGa helps a lot. I just fight normally and then -lightbulb-, now one of my guys can use Purple Monkey Slash. It's random, so he might have learned Seven Donkey Smash or Proton Thrust instead. There's not much difference between the attack techniques you can learn, but it can make subsequent playthroughs feel a little different from each other. The games usually pair this randomness with some easy-to-get, reliable abilities, like purchasable spells or bazookas and such.

Pretty much anything with the Job System is great for customization, especially FFT.

For making every upgrade feel like it makes a significant difference, I'd have to go with FFX's Sphere Grid. It's more linear than I'd like, but every time you hit a +4 stat node you REALLY notice the difference, and that's a big deal to me.

Not an RPG per se, but I have to add shout-outs to two games: inFamous and Devil May Cry 3. inFamous's good/evil decision stuff is nonsense, but upgrades to your skills make a huge difference, and playing as one or the other ends up feeling significantly different by the end. The fact that you get compound upgrades to the same skill makes its progression system much better than that of its sequel.

DMC3 does a great job by having you gain two things: souls (for buying upgrades to your attack moveset, your health/magic stats, and also consumable items) and experience (which levels up your Style). Feels much more natural than DMC4's Red/Proud Souls system, and allows the player to focus on what they prefer to play with while also making each upgrade feel significant.

Coxy

Mana Khemia's Grow Book is one of the best, it's constantly adding layers to the gameplay. Starting off it's a standard turn based RPG system but as you unlock skills you can do support attacks, support defence, super gauges, super moves, finishers, team attacks, individual elemental and enemy type strengths, it unfolds the layers of mechanics perfectly just as you need them

Super Robot Wars: You level up the pilots with exp in battle like any RPG, you upgrade the mechs which each have a unique bonus for fully upgrading them, getting 50 kills gives the pilot a unique ace bonus, every kill gives pilot points that can upgrade stats or be used to unlock passive skills, levelling up also unlocks spirit skills, each mech can also equip units , you can put pilots into a selection of mechs, just loads of things to constantly fiddle with

Top Bottom