• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: 3D Dot Game Heroes, why no sequel?

Croc

Banned
I thought the game started out fun but got worse and worse as it went on. The whole sword mechanic totally ruined the game in the later dungeons as you pretty much needed full health to do anything.

And the final dungeon was hands down the worst final dungeon I have ever played in a game. The dungeons in general were very generic looking and forgettable, the overworld was the only slightly interesting thing in the game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Bought this game on sale last year and it's still sitting on my shelf in its shrinkwrap. One day, one day.

I thought the game started out fun but got worse and worse as it went on. The whole sword mechanic totally ruined the game in the later dungeons as you pretty much needed full health to do anything.

And the final dungeon was hands down the worst final dungeon I have ever played in a game. The dungeons in general were very generic looking and forgettable, the overworld was the only slightly interesting thing in the game.

Quite this. I really hate the fact that the Piercing skill was only for full health. I have no idea who suggested that physics should not be ignored in that case, but that was just full blown annoyance throughout the game.

The 5th dungeon is set up so elaborately that you marvel at how its designed... until you die, in which it reveals to you that you have to redo the whole dungeon. Things really went downhill by this point for me tbh.

I really don't know why they made the water the way it looks, it's utterly jarring at how different it looks.

Actually you're wrong on the technology, the engine 3DDGH uses (Bishamon) is not only hugely scalable but it's already been adapted to 3DS as a commercial middleware solution. Now obviously some things would take a hit, but as Capcom has shown with their MT Framework Mobile projects on 3DS, you can still manage HDR, self shadowing, 2xAA, depth of field, motion blur, etc, while even using scaled HD assets on 3DS. Silicon Studio most certainly wouldn't be starting from scratch here, hell they helped develop the actual tools for the 3DS GPU, they should probably get even better results than Capcom given their intimate familiarity with the system. Bravely Default looks shockingly good for what it is.

Anyway, platform selection depends mostly on what market From wants to push. If they want the franchise to become viable in Japan then 3DS is the only real option at the moment. If they want to go further in the west then HD consoles are the best bet going forward. In either case Vita doesn't really have good prospects since it's currently bombing hard everywhere and the future's looking grim.

And again, I'd say making a game targeted at the Zelda fanbase available on the same platforms as the Zelda fanbase makes some sense. Wii U would come in ahead of Vita based just off that I think.

Supporting isn't the same as running the game with little to no changes and i'm not even sure from cares that much about japan to cut its sales in the overseas market (dars souls shows that, a game born from demons souls given the fact it wasn't supported by sce in western markets). Honestly, it makes no fucking sense to bring it to 3ds if that means losing all if not most of your fanbase that you previously built. From that, bringing it to platforms that would require little budgets increases is a much more feasible prospect than bringing it to a platform that requires big changes in all its dev aspects.

°°ToMmY°°;37831386 said:
Supporting isn't the same as running the game with little to no changes and i'm not even sure from cares that much about japan to cut its sales in the overseas market (dars souls shows that, a game born from demons souls given the fact it wasn't supported by sce in western markets). Honestly, it makes no fucking sense to bring it to 3ds if that means losing all if not most of your fanbase that you previously built. From that, bringing it to platforms that would require little budgets increases is a much more feasible prospect than bringing it to a platform that requires big changes in all its dev aspects.
Fanbase? 160k NA is great for what the game was but come on, that's not exactly a huge sales figure and nowhere even approaching the Souls games. Demon's Souls in just Japan sold more than 3DDGH likely did worldwide so I'm not sure why you're even bringing Souls into this as proof From doesn't care about Japan. Japan is the only region they publish anything.

Besides, this game directly targets nostalgic Zelda fans and retrogamers. Where exactly do you think that fanbase is most concentrated? Vita?

impact

Banned
I've always wanted to play it because of the cool art style but I hate 2D Zelda. I'll try it one of these days, I swear.

Derrick01

Banned
Should have been a multiplatform digital download. It is only like 3gigs. I loved it, awesome game.

But you can get it for around $10 used at gamestop, probably less if you shopped around. I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it is and I really appreciate the brutal trophy list it has, encouraging multiple playthroughs and mastering their minigames.

Top Bottom