• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Babylon 5

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Watching "Knives" before work right now! I'll pen the write-up prior to my shift tomorrow. Aside: I'm grateful folks kept reminding me to watch this before the next one. The tone is way off otherwise.

And Now For a Word....
.....from our sponsor the Psi Corps.

When this commercial popped up, I thought it was a flashback to Sheridan's childhood. Is it? Is this some early foreshadowing of him having telepathic tendencies that were missed? Or is it just that they used Little Johnny as a name when they should have used Little Timmy to avoid confusion?

It's hard to watch blatant propaganda. You don't have to know the truth of a matter to hear the propaganda tone. This is all propaganda, from like 6 different sides. Then it ends when Fox News ssays the babylon project is A-OK, despite them arguing that it wasn't, for hours of a special report. Is the newsbite enough to retrain their viewers minds?

Newscaster calls Ivanova 'perky' and makes Delenn cry. Might as well be Nancy Grace.

It doesn't take much to think 'gee, let's keep these volatile negotiations far from earth. Babylon 5 iss great because it's way the heck out in unclaimed territory', does it?

Watching "Knives" before work right now! I'll pen the write-up prior to my shift tomorrow. Aside: I'm grateful folks kept reminding me to watch this before the next one. The tone is way off otherwise.

Wait, what does this mean? Should I be doing this on a first watch? Or is it one of the movies I don't know exist?

jb1234

Going to finally watch some more B5 tonight. In the meantime, if I remember correctly, it's Jeff's birthday. So... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
"Knives"

knives-03.jpg

Carmen Argenziano comes to B5, but he's not here on behalf of the Tok'ra! I perked up when I saw this Stargate SG-1 recurring actor, then laughed heartily when I saw his big, bushy Centauri hair. I have to assume I had a similar reaction back in 2009, because I'd been a Stargate fan for many years by then. But I forgot all about it, so yay, I got to react all over again.

In fact, the Centauri plot in "Knives" is all good fun and it's a great way to move Londo's character forward because it expands on his darkness in a meaningful way. He has a feud with Refa, which prompts Vir to tell him that every once in a while he's proud to serve. But that's as far as it goes. Londo is committed. Argenziano's character, Urza Jaddo, is a lifelong friend of Londo's who comes to the station because his family's been disgraced. His obvious political leanings are undoubtedly a large part of why this has happened, but we as an audience inherently sympathize with Urza because he's not wrong at all. The Prime Minister was assassinated, as we know from "The Coming of Shadows", and war is not justified on the grounds of Centauri expansion, as Londo has deluded himself into believing. It's a cornerstone of Centauri society to mourn the Empire That Was, so-to-speak, but Urza is a more nuanced Centauri who does not wish to continue with these hostilities.

B5AG-038-featured.jpg

Unfortunately, Londo will not relent from his chosen path, and once Urza discovers his friend's complicity in the machinations of Centauri renaissance, their friendship can only get them so far. Urza erupts into anger, challenging Londo to a duel to the death. Londo is shaken, grief-stricken, and tries to convince Urza to see reason. But again, as an audience, we might see the just case this guest character possesses and almost hope he wins. I know I did. Londo is a brilliantly multifaceted character, but he's also consumed by darkness now and his desire for renewed prominence among his people has clouded him to that darkness. Thus, when Urza orchestrates his own loss at the climax of the episode so that at least his family can be protected by Londo, it's a relatively feel-good tragedy as far as tragedies can go, but it's still remarkably bittersweet. Our perspective Centauri character rides off into the sunset, but he's taken one more step into dusk.

I'm heavily caffeinated so I'm blaming coffee on my weird faux-poetic writing style this afternoon.

Speaking of weird, let's take a look at that B-Plot, shall we?

babylon040.jpg

Alas, this is where "Knives" tends to falter. There's some good to be had in this zany plot full o' episodic hallucinations, but it's just not up-to-snuff with the intriguing content Londo has been given. Sheridan's at batting practice and has a chat with Garibaldi, who informs him of some strange stuff down in Grey Sector. This will eventually be given its own episode, but that's next season, and I recall thinking less-than-stellar things about said episode. I digress. Sheridan, whose hobbies have been said to include CIA black boxes and X-Files marathons, can't wait to traipse down to Grey Sector all on his lonesome. There, he gets touched by a dead alien, and suddenly he's having visions.

Game-of-Thrones-Drogon-Featured-08062017.jpg

In Sheridan's first vision, he's besieged by Drogon, the primary dragon in HBO's hit fantasy drama series, Game of Thrones. Garibaldi shows up and Sheridan tries to shrug off the fact that there is no Drogon to be found, which -- when combined with Sheridan later seeing his wife Anna's ship blowing up just outside C and C -- prompts Franklin to slap his wrist with a medical bracelet. Sheridan eventually takes off said medical bracelet, having learned about the CIA black box that is Babylon 5 (hello, sudden relevant character-building moment). He traipses on out to where that wayward station was last seen, and then... uhh...

d1e454dfc80f5a06ba0c50ae8328e0c1.jpg

Well, something-something-something tachyons, something-something... Voyager. He's better now.

"Knives" has a strong Centauri heart and soul but Sheridan's material could have used some fine-tuning. It's one of Larry DiTillo's best scripts, perhaps his last? I'm not sure offhand, but if so, he left the show on decent enough ground. It's not without its flaws, but the Sheridan plot is merely middling as opposed to awful. I'll file this one under decent.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Newscaster calls Ivanova 'perky' and makes Delenn cry. Might as well be Nancy Grace.

I lol'd.

Wait, what does this mean? Should I be doing this on a first watch? Or is it one of the movies I don't know exist?

So "Knives" is supposed to be viewed prior to "In the Shadow of Zha'dum", yeah. They're both regular episodes, not movies. Those don't come into play until later.

Going to finally watch some more B5 tonight. In the meantime, if I remember correctly, it's Jeff's birthday. So... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thanks! It was good times! I had to work, but work wasn't even that bad. <3

"Knives" has a strong Centauri heart and soul but Sheridan's material could have used some fine-tuning. It's one of Larry DiTillo's best scripts, perhaps his last? I'm not sure offhand, but if so, he left the show on decent enough ground.
It is. It is in fact the last episode of the show not written by jms aside from Neil Gaiman's Day of the Dead in season 5. And that of course set the stage for Larry's departure from the show as story editor, as there was less and less for him to do. No freelance scripts for him to edit, and less and less room for him to develop his own storylines.

He went on to reunite with fellow He-Man and She-Ra story editor Bob Forward to help revive the then declining Transformers franchise with Beast Wars and gained a cult following of his own, so that worked out pretty well for him all in all.

He was also due to return to the B5 universe with the Crusade episode "The Gates of Hell", but the show was cancelled before the script was completed.

I've given up on reading someone else watching B5 and started watching...DS9 instead!
Hah, I just started up DS9 myself for a rewatch. I still have some B5 to go but I've been saving the back half of S5 for drowsy post-lasik viewing tomorrow.

After rewatching the DS9 pilot. Man does it look better top to bottom compared to B5. I know, double the budget... but Star Trek was just such a well oiled TV machine with TNG getting near the end of its run. It looks good. The acting is better. The sets are better. The special effects are better.

B5 could have scored a big win if they simply followed completely through on the "get it ready for 16:9" plan. But they didn't, and I can deal with a pillarboxed presentation. I'd kill for the TNG style HDTV go-to-the-source film magic but I know it's not going to happen. Sad!

But the second episode is grinding momentum to a halt. I know DS9 S1 is.. uneven. But I was surprised at how little I wanted to keep watching 10 minutes into that episode. I'll hit unpause sooner or later. But I think B5 will be finished before I circle back. First big issue that's sticking out at me in a DS9 falling short of B5 sort of way is that.... Bajorans are boring. Really fucking boring. The Narn. The Centauri. And even the Minbari have a whole lot more going on for them. And practically every major race from Star Trek is more interesting than them too. At least the Cardassians are plausible baddies. I'd swap in Narn/Centauri Prime for Bajor/Cardassia in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile in B5 S5...
Yay Byron killed himself finally, after the idiotic shootout filled with... exploding barrels from Doom. Bester provides a little fun but aside from that it's all pretty dire. On the bright side I'm on the episode where the Book of G'Kar becomes a thing. So far it's a riot. I remember the final run of episodes as being pretty good, so I'm looking forward into plowing through a couple of episodes tomorrow.

SPCTRE

First big issue that's sticking out at me in a DS9 falling short of B5 sort of way is that.... Bajorans are boring. Really fucking boring. The Narn. The Centauri. And even the Minbari have a whole lot more going on for them. And practically every major race from Star Trek is more interesting than them too. At least the Cardassians are plausible baddies. I'd swap in Narn/Centauri Prime for Bajor/Cardassia in a heartbeat.
Yeah I'd have to agree, Bajorans on their own aren't very interesting
- imagine them without their connection to the Celestial Temple, 100% bland

The best thing the Bajorans have going for them is Major Kira, really - and the fact that they are religious, which is unusual in the context of TNG-era Trek. But that is pretty much it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Watched "In the Shadow of Zha'dum"! Replies and write-up coming tomorrow.

Man God, please feel free to post some DS9 thoughts here from time to time too so that I can revel in it. Love that show.

All right, just watched Knives, and tried to set the stupid app to let me watch ZHaDum next, not sure if it listened, geez this app sucks. Also it tried a popup to get me to rate it. Maybe don't do that, verizon? Until it stops sucking?

I did not like this episode.

Not so much for the writing, content or acting. Just for the visual effects. Bad CGI is so much worse than bad models, I really wish they had gone the model route. Red Dwarf looked best with the model on strings that didn't get edited out, and suffers when they try early computer graphics, and this does too. Also Captain Awesome is having migraine effects on everything, and that royally sucks to view.

Mollari thinks maybe he shoulda backed a different horse.....only, nah. This guy irritates me. Good singing voice though.

Not so much for the writing, content or acting. Just for the visual effects. Bad CGI is so much worse than bad models, I really wish they had gone the model route.
Eh, I don't think I've seen B5 in HD and can't speak for how jarring the upscaled SD effects look, but CGI was undoubtedly right choice for the show back then. Even with 2x+ the budget, TNG was much more limited in how many effects shots they could have and what they could do with it. So much of its space combat was just brief shots of two ships slowly moving past each other and exchanging phasers, while the "action" was the crew on the bridge more or less narrating what was happening.

The only "problem" with the effects is that WB insisted on Babylonian Productions turning over all copies of the CGI source files once Crusade wrapped, and then somehow managed to misplace/dispose of them. So now we're stuck with upscaled and cropped SD renders for the foreseeable future... I guess until someone creates an AI program that can recreate the CGI without the cost of a fully fledged animation studio.

Red Dwarf looked best with the model on strings that didn't get edited out, and suffers when they try early computer graphics, and this does too.
You can't honestly compare B5 with Red Dwarf. The latter was far less ambitious in its use of effects (and mostly filmed live before an audience), and its CGI they did looked far worse than anything in B5.

No one has because it doesn't exist. Although in some ways, it's probably merciful. HD makes budget shortcuts very obvious.
Huh, so the go90 streaming is still SD? I assumed at some point they'd dumped the film onto HD masters and upscaled the CGI, but I guess it's still the old widescreen masters made for SCIFI in 2000 and I suppose it's unlikely those were HD...

(Looking into this, I see Lost Tales was filmed on digital HD cams, though no confirmation if a full HD master was produced. Oh, god, now I stumbled across the old rumors about the original film footage for The Gathering being eaten by rats and the rest of the series being in uncertain condition. Ugh, I'm depressed now.)

Honestly rats eating The Gathering probably isn't the most unfitting fate for it....

There's no point in trying to do an HD transfer unless they're going to redo all the effects for sure. It needs money and attention that it's never going to get. Just pairing new transfers of the live action stuff with the awful cropped CGI and composite shots is just going to be more jarring and worse. So I'll say the show is what it is at this point. I think a 4:3 version would make more sense but whatever.

Anyway, I've finished the show proper, haven't done the TV movies yet. I'll probably take a bit of a break before I do. End of S5 was pretty solid. Not my favorite show of all time, but it's still good sci-fi. I wonder about the occasional rumblings of a reboot or movie series. I have a hard time envisioning it as a success. And I'm not sure where they'd go with the reboot storyline as the major arcs of B5 were the core appeal for me.

Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

The opening gives a great view of Vir, taking on Mordred. He's amazingly brave just to argue with the evil one, but his personality coming out in the offensive little wave he gives, wow. You go, Vir.

The rest is compacted story mushed into a single episode. Talia only exists to be misused, what a sad life she leads. Zack joins the Hitler's Youth movement for the cash; I don't think he is what they had in mind for the task. I think I noticed Susan checking out the doc as he walked away when she forced him to take a break. That's the only lighter note here!

Hey, Jeff, are you dead? Or have you just run off and started seeing other threads?

Zack joins the Hitler's Youth movement for the cash; I don't think he is what they had in mind for the task.
Nightwatch isn't really comparable to the Hitlerjugend. The latter were Nazi boy scouts aimed at indoctrinating the young. This is more about having a chilling effect on public discourse by giving Clarke's regime a more direct and visible presence in daily life. Jms had a far more direct analog to the HY in Captain Power with the Dread Youth.

Nightwatch isn't really comparable to the Hitlerjugend. The latter were Nazi boy scouts aimed at indoctrinating the young. This is more about having a chilling effect on public discourse by giving Clarke's regime a more direct and visible presence in daily life. Jms had a far more direct analog to the HY in Captain Power with the Dread Youth.

eh... they are abso-fucking-lutely based on the SS and Hitlerjugend. Hell, JMS goes out of his way to tell the viewer as much, particularly when Zack and his lady friend discuss Earth's government solutions to things like "crime". The ministries of Earth are also literally named after 1984's (the novel) versions of them.

Just because they're not 100% the same doesn't mean it's not obvious what it's supposed to be.

It's a shame I'm rewatching Star Trek instead of B5, but that's mostly because my brothers owns the dvd set, not me. Sadly that remains the only way to actually watch the show, including the sometimes downright incredible commentary tracks.
Doyle's comment on the episode where Garibaldi is on a sickbed for the whole episode: "Best episode ever!". Also the explanation of what the Vorlon costume actually is. Special effects, baby!

Confessions and Lamentations

Sometimes in scifi, there's an episode of such depressingness that there is nothing to poke fun at without feeling like a terrible person.

This space ebola story is one of them.

Having Delenn and Lennier be the only Minbari who are quite as unremittingly good is something I can't decipher. Is it for screen control? Or are they truly above the rest of their species? The episode has 4000 people self quarantine themselves, and the narrow hallways of the makeshift Hot Zone are full of alien extras. But the hundreds or thousands of Minbari (religious caste) aren't found. Surely a few could have been hanging around also? Anyway.

One could try to make a point about restriction of information being a terrible thing, yet the fact is that Dr. Lazarus may be right - there is no fixing some things. A slower spread of a virulent disease may not give enough time for a cure to be found, and could eventually have the same effect. End result: no change.

I left off my real lingering thoughts about the episode, but I suppose I can share them. I know jb will understand even if nobody else does. Maybe he's still following. If so, don't click the spoiler until you get past your own viewing.
Sometimes you can get a sense of when a writer is in way over their heads with subject matter.
This episode is supposed to deal with a scary pandemic. In order to make a disease frightening, it is given...no teeth. These writers
Can't have ever nursed a dementia patient through death, or watched a loved one deal with cancer, or dealt themselves with chronic pain.
This wimpy ebola is given 100% transmission and morbidity. The worst symptom is the first one, a sore throat. Then some dizziness. At this point the person is intended to choose their deathbed and lay down. After laying down, they are rewarded with minor nerve weirdness like numbness and tingling, but no pain because nerve transmission is defunct. And they're repaid with euphoria. Then instead of lingering for months soiling themselves, they die within a day.
The galaxy is entering a giant war, the standard life for a sentient is to choose which Evil Corporaton or Evil Empire to serve with their life until they die of nasty weapons fire or get spaced, and this species gets to gently check out without leaving a burden to their families or seeing any more suffering. Sign me the fuck up.
The poor losers who survive this episode are the ones who get to stay for the Shadows to torture to death.

eh... they are abso-fucking-lutely based on the SS and Hitlerjugend. Hell, JMS goes out of his way to tell the viewer as much, particularly when Zack and his lady friend discuss Earth's government solutions to things like "crime". The ministries of Earth are also literally named after 1984's (the novel) versions of them.

Just because they're not 100% the same doesn't mean it's not obvious what it's supposed to be.
You're mixing up several things here, and bringing up the SS, which was entirely different from the Hitlerjugend and not really part of the discussion. The HJ were Nazi boy scouts, an eventually mandatory program to get kids and teens physical active (for that perfect Aryan physique) and indoctrinated with Nazi propaganda. I would still maintain that they're a very poor comparison to a program recruiting adult security officers to extend the Clark admin's security apparatus' reach and visibility outside the normal chain of command.

All in all, I don't think the Nazi's are that good of a parallel to Clark. Aside from when Hitler was sweet talking certain political groups to make the deals that eventually put him in power, the Nazis never tried to hide what they were - violent, racist and anti-democratic. At this point the Clark admin is moving more towards the Soviet era states, preserving a veneer of normalcy and tranquillity, covering a massive security apparatus with huge networks of both secret and overt informants, and political officers watching over the military from outside the normal chain of command.

1. I made the comparison based purely on the "reporting on neighbors" aspect of the social movement they are going for. Analogies do not need 1:1 perfection to accomplish a point.

2. It was a joke. This semantic argument has gone on for like weeks, over a joke. I have a dry sense of humour.

3. I've since moved on to another not 1:1 analogy. It must surely be time to argue that the etiology of ebola does not perfectly match the gentlest death plague I've ever seen written.

4. You missed all my literary references to argue semantics about. Perhaps we can discuss how the Morden character is not the son of the main cast member, and therefore my calling him Mordred doesn't work properly.

Or we could not.

Divided Loyalties

An interesting episode, which explores few basic telepathic concepts. Basically, if you want to know what a telepath really cares about or is hiding, try becoming a vampire. Apparently they all come out to play at night.

Susan continues to object to being around telepaths at all, but has warmed up to Talia for no apparent reason, since Talia has no personality. They decide to have a slumber party, where they halfheartedly hit each other with pillows while giggling and allowing their lacy negligees to slide off slowly. Well, pretty close. I was really convinced for a second there that Talia was going to kiss Susan. Which makes no sense for Susan, any more than it would for Rogue. (Oh, it's ok...I can touch YOU because you're spec....oops you're dead). If Susan kissed a telepath, she'd just end up killing them herself.

The Captain decides crew evaluations are in order, so visiting telepath can play Password with them all. This works fine, totally normal. Everyone has done a great job, but nobody gets a raise, better benefits, or improved working conditions. If only this didn't work pretty well on humans.

Garibaldi hams it up. They must have done something really wrong with his character in the pilot, because I hated him instantly....yet I love everything he does. He's just so great. From doing his job properly, to remembering key plot points from previous episodes, to making jokes about being a spy and how they should shoot him. You go, Jerry.

The end has Talia beginning to show the first signs of personality. This reminds me of a Tales games I played, where I ended up rooting for the blond macguffin - I mean, main female character - to choose to commit genocide just to show she could accomplish any single thing in her life. You go, new Talia. Try not to exist just to be misused. Turn that around on someone.

Susan confesses a deep dark secret. She may have inherited traits from.....dundunDUN.... her own mother. Duh. I dunno if you know this dear, but the audience is not surprised. Everything you've ever done has shouted this fact to the casual observer. Perhaps your enemy the PsiCorps should hire some normal spies, who just get information the old fashioned way. Cause their mind scanners are shit, and apparently using telepathy as a crutch has removed the possiblity of using psychology. Delenn would get morre data than your best PsiCops, and all she does is look sympathetic. Everyone comes to her for help, and they tend to tell her everything too. Hmmm.....now I hope Delenn turns out to be the mistress of the shadow cult and the forerunner of the Ancient Evil, which will still be less evil than all the Evil Corporations and Evil Empires that make up the galaxy on this show.

The Long Dark Twilight of the Soul

Openers bring back Draal, who has been playing with his Deus ex Machina long enough to get bored. I'm not sure this is the same actor, but this actor certainly has stage experience. Sadly, he begins monologuing, which makes me think he will turn out evil before the series finishes. But I digress. An amusing moment happens when he interrupts his own monologue to check to see if the audience is still listening. Well not really....that is, the cadence is good, but I've missed the content.....oh.

John is supposed to visit. Well that was a lot of words for a dinner date.

G'Kar has a heartfelt moment with his uncle. The musical cues tell me that this is the last time they will ever see each other. I will be appropriately sad when he surprisingly demises.

Londo argues against the war machine. He is such a doofus. I'm unclear how he contacts Mordred when he's away from B5. Was that explained somewhere and I just forgot? Anyway he goes along with the very-effective plan by the Evil Empire, which he has no choice on and hasn't for a season since he jumped in bed with them in the first place.

The Narn fleet goes up against shadows. They attempt to take refuge in hyperspace despite the shadows....living in...hyperspace. Listening to nevvie woulda been a better choice, this is just a string of non-ideal decisions.

The doctor is such an activist. He runs an underground railroad, runs free clinics for the indigent, spies for the underdog in war, etc. Then hides behind his medical diploma to avoid being shot. Surely one of the terrible people will notice him and shoot him anyway?

John shows up to his dinner date to give Draal something to look at besides a mirror, while enjoying the sound of his own voice. Oh....what was the message again? Um. Meet some new friends. Cool. Friends are good. Now....explain why that message needed to be delivered in person? Just to geek out over the cool tech? Eh, it's scifi, I'll take that as a valid reason.

The end fills in a lot more grandiosity, but this time from John's lips. I tuned in occasionally, but mostly zoned out because it sounds like the overblown credit intro. What's the message? Um.. We're the good guys, yay!
Nice to meet you, mysterious good guys.

Hey. Garibaldi was 18 steps ahead! Anyone who is shocked raise their hand.
waits

teiresias

About halfway through season 3, and just finished War Without End Part One. I had forgotten how outright insufferable Londo becomes and how deplorable the Centauri are as a race.

Enter the Inquisitor.

With a title like Inquisitor, you know you can expect a guy dressed in a bunny costume who will give out free hugs. And indeed, this Inquisitor is reminiscent of....Mordred. Maybe all humans are starting to look alike to me. A scene from 3rd Rock from the Sun just flashed through my mind. I miss that show.

Garibaldi and G'Kar have the sweetest moment ever. G'Kar is gearing up for a long bloody resistance. Where have I heard people planning resistance movements on a space station before? Hmmmm.

The Inquisitor introduces himself as Sebastian from Victorian London. Now I have Eddie Izzard standup running through my head too. Leftenant Sebastian has been collected by the Vorlons and placed in storage because he's great at this task of finding a needle in a haystack person. Hey, he's like that lamp guy! Gets to end. Oh. Yeah. Diogenes. THAT lamp guy, I guess it was not supposed to be a subtle reference. Boy, this torturing people to death job sounds like something that would be enjoyed by a Particular resident of Victorian London. Gets to end. Right. Yes. That one. Er. This isn't supposed to be hidden from the viewer I see.

So much of these last few episodes are straight Bible quotes, and someone here is being set up to be Space Jesus. Hard to tell who, since the Inquisitor will yell at anyone who happens by.

And the app again decides I cannot continue to watch the show, so this is my only update today. No wonder it's easier to start yet another rewatch of Deep Space Nine. At least Netflix doesn't quit 3 times per episode.

The Fall of Night

It seems that Zach didn't realize the people who give money also take. If he looked smarter I might believe he could be a double agent, but in this case, I suspect he will instead become a martyr.

Pilot In-the-Credits Briefly accomplishes something valuable before getting wiped. Sorry duder, but you didn't have the acting chops to stick around anyway.

Captain Awesome continues to believe earth will support moral values despite getting slapped down repeatedly. I dunno where his optimism comes from. The reflection off his teeth, perhaps. When using the planet to hide something, he doesn't ask for help from the planetary deus ex machina despite cementing their friendship just 2 episodes ago. Maybe he should be working on personal alliances instead of just waiting around for stuff to happen.

Ivanova refuses to get into bed with the SS, but they leave the door open for her to become a double agent later. These douchebags ought to be smart enough not to.

The earth reps never want you to wonder which side they will support. They just walk around looking evil, and turn out evil. Thanks for making it easy on the viewer.

Looks like it's time to step up the action.

Top Bottom