• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Dragon Age: Inquisition - I think I'm enjoying this??

Lister

Banned
I can understand it from a completionist's perspective, but why did so many people feel forced to linger in the Hinterlands, and the other explorable areas? You get more than enough power from fade rifts 'n such along the war to the primary objectives. So many people talk about the power system as such a drag, but the game gives you far more than you know what to do with even if you generally stick to the main questline.

In my first playthrough it was because I didn't know. I had no idea how the systems worked, I ws still discovering that.

There was also the hope that I would find an actual quest, a decision to make, an interesting character, a unique encounter, ANYTHING interesting, somehwere off in the horizon.....

That never happenned.

Well, when finally tackling the main story some fo those thigns hapepnned, and Dragons where really interesting bosses, but that's it.

Tareskog

This exact approach has caused me to finish way more games over the last year than before. I also seem to enjoy games like more because of this. Main quests are often ten times as fun to do than side quests. Exception being Witcher 3 which did side quests really well imo. Fillers like books, skulls, bums in need of help and shit is filler which increases the games playtime. But for me it often ends up being a chore and not fun in the long run.

aravuus

Finished the main quest. It was okay. I got to kill things. It was a thing that happened but hardly made me feel one way or the other, so it's kind of hard to say much about it. Admittedly I really didn't pay that much attention to anything haha.

The Trespasser, or at least finishing it, will have to wait until the weekend. Looks like it's a bit longer than I expected.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Enjoyment of the main quest hinges on a.) having played the previous games; b.) getting really deep into all the codex lore you find throughout the world. I'd have preferred more main story cutscenes, but we get a decent amount. You kinda have to will yourself to be invested, so it's not exactly a great story, but if you dig Thedas as much as I do, it's a very serviceable chapter in the world of Dragon Age.

Trespasser's awesome, although again, you might not be as wowed.

aravuus

Well, shit. Trespasser WAS pretty awesome! I mean I wouldn't call it mind-blowingly good or anything, but it was definitely much better than the base game. And what the hell is up with that music? IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING! I can't believe we went from the forgettable and bland stuff of the base game to THIS. Everything that played during the DLC was goddamn great. Definitely rivals the best of what Mass Effect has to offer.

JUST LISTEN TO THIS SHIT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kM4Jo74EEs

Being able to spam my rift abilities like a crazy person in the final fights was a lot of fun, too.

I didn't think it was possible, but now I'm genuinely interested in the next Dragon Age. Maybe even a bit excited! That Cassandra book reading thing closing the game during the credits was such a weird idea, though.

But yeah, the game as a whole... Whew. What an uneven experience. I'm not going to call it a particularly good game, considering how much I had to skip content and sort of just actively ignore stuff to make it fun, but admittedly - when I was having fun, I genuinely was having fun. It was at its most enjoyable around hours 10 to maybe 25, when I was getting new abilities and gear at a fairly nice rate and the combat was a solid challenge at normal with a bunch of trials activated.

My feelings haven't changed much from what I wrote in the first post. One thing that I did notice was that I did warm to the humor a bit. "Witty" stuff like anything Sera was as painfully unfunny as before, but there were some flashes of brilliance here and there, usually in my inquisitor's lines. As for events, judging a wooden box of remains stuck with me the best. Def funny.

Highly doubt I'll ever replay this (and if I do - PC version! Gonna need those mods and cheats to make A LOT OF STUFF tolerable) and while Trespasser was good, I have mixed feelings of the whole affair, but overall I'm glad I actually finished it. I'd say I probably enjoyed it at least to some extent more often than not. So, I dunno... Maybe a 7 out of 10? Not higher than a 7.5, not lower than a 5.5, at least. So something between those I guess lol.

In-game clock says 40 hours, but there was a fair bit of idling whenever I wasn't exactly enjoying the game, I'd say it took me closer to 33-35 hours in truth.

So yeah, actually looking forward the the next game in the series, which is not what I expected to feel when it's over. In the mean time I feel like playing more fantasy games. Maybe I'll replay The Witcher 3 next. Not gonna make a RTTP thread for it cause I don't really have anything to say about it other than that it's pretty damn great and "I think I kinda dislike Geralt??" lol.

Raven117

I thought the game was good enough. While it wasn't the awesomeness of Origins, it did the job and scratched the itch for some RPGness (especially around the time it was released).

The quest design and open world is bad because of its MMO structure for a single player game. Other than that the game was decent, and Trespasser was quite well written.

Well, shit. Trespasser WAS pretty awesome! I mean I wouldn't call it mind-blowingly good or anything, but it was definitely much better than the base game. And what the hell is up with that music? IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING! I can't believe we went from the forgettable and bland stuff of the base game to THIS. Everything that played during the DLC was goddamn great. Definitely rivals the best of what Mass Effect has to offer.

JUST LISTEN TO THIS SHIT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kM4Jo74EEs
I see this and raise you a final boss music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2r55kkobQ
About 40 seconds into the first one, and all of the second one are pretty much I'm excited to see how the next chapter of The Inquisitor, The Divine, and The Dread Wolf trinity of politics, intrigue and espionage play out.

DemWalls

It's definitely good that they improved the soundtrack in Trespasser. The base game's OST was practically nonexistent, as well as rather bland.

Top Bottom