• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Final Fantasy 8

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The most memorable thing about the game is the OST. Even that song that's a rip off of Hummell Gets The Rockets.
WNmNnji.gif

If you mean Hans Zimmer, I don't know what to say.
The whole game is memorable and iconic, FFIX on the other hand is well....Other then Vivi I remember mostly that Zidane had a funny looking sword handle.

FFVIII had great world building. I love the all little details and most are completely optional or subtle. You can learn about the hobbies of many characters by checking the library in Balamb Garden. Seifer's whole romantic dream and battle pose is based on the movie Laguna played. Raijin claims he won't attack female characters during battle, but he does it if there are no male characters active/alive. During the Galbadia parade, the dancers do the choreography of Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

Neku89

It's funny how in Italy FF8 was indisputably the better received of the PSX trilogy. Maybe it's because it was the first to be translated in Italian, maybe because our translation was conducted directly from the Japanese version (instead of it being a derivative of the English version, like many other games at the time) and Squall was a likeable moron rather than an insufferable asshole. Still, most of those who were teens at the time of FF8's release vastly prefer it to FF7.

For me, it's still the best Final Fantasy overall. Yes, the story becomes a mess in the later third of the game, but the military school setting it's by far my favorite (I guess there's Type-0 that tries to be similar, but it felt so... lifeless), and the battle system is so broken that you can play however you like.

I'd have played the shit out of an FF8 remake.

Turin

Banned
I'm actually pretty much in line with the OP's analysis for the most part.

Great world and story premise and the cast was fairly interesting but it all felt a bit rushed toward the end.

I will add that one thing Squall and Seifer had in common was that they were both intensely narcissistic about their own identity(something Laguna and Rinoa didn't seem too heavily concerned with).

fedexpeon

Banned
Probably one of the most forgetful modern FF series for me.
I can only name 4 characters in that series, Squall, Rinoa, Laguna, Ultimecia.
I can't even recall the teammate names because they weren't that important to the plot unless you count the "twist" to make any sense.
They were just there to fill out your party so you can have more turns in battle.
Maybe...Maybe if they remake FF8, I will replay the game again and will get a different outlook.
But at this moment, I can't even tell you half of the story/plot of this game.

pottuvoi

Banned
Here's my tips to anyone starting Final Fantasy 8:

- Do not grind. In the traditional sense anyway. It doesn't help you in this game.
Started FF8 with a friend and played it like we did a FF7, the game can be quite hard if you level up for bosses. :D

Shinjica

It's funny how the majority of the battle can be easy completed by putting squall at low life and then limit break. When you gain aura spell is even more easy

One my most loved and hated games, both at the same time.

I liked the junction systems, lost countless hours in Triple Triad, the art and designs, music.. But it was also the first game I hated the protagonist, the stupid love story... I played the whole game without using Rinoa (Level 16 towards the end).

With FF VIII I learned to love mute protagonists. It's better to shut up than to make me want to switch off the console every time a text box pops up. The best way of redeeming this would have been to do a FF VIII-2 or gaiden with Laguna as the main character.

Really excellent write-up, and while I haven't played it since release, I feel pretty much the same way about how they developed the relationship between Squall and Rinoa. Absolutely loved the beginning setting and story, and it just felt like they completely dropped the ball with the whole time compression business.

Really interesting way to look at Squall and Seifer's relationship, I like the way you characterized them as polar opposites. I haven't played it in over a decade, I might have to give it another spin.

Fdkn

It's funny how in Italy FF8 was indisputably the better received of the PSX trilogy. Maybe it's because it was the first to be translated in Italian, maybe because our translation was conducted directly from the Japanese version (instead of it being a derivative of the English version, like many other games at the time) and Squall was a likeable moron rather than an insufferable asshole. Still, most of those who were teens at the time of FF8's release vastly prefer it to FF7.

Last month I replayed the game in english for the first time and I also noticed that I remembered the spanish translation being better at portraying the characters, so maybe what you say is right about the spanish one too.

I'll always have a spot for FF8 because it was my first, even if I recognize its shortcomings, it gets too much hate.

Falk

that puzzling face
Game wasn't the best, but the soundtrack was incredible.It was well composed and sounded good, a big step up in quality from 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTw1Wcjzf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKI8RFr0Ec8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txs-MnMiP2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l75zjpDpAWs

I posted this over on the FF community OT but FF8's soundtrack is in very, VERY large part why I decided to pursue the career I did.

Fast forward 7 numbered iterations and 16 years later and I can actually say I've worked on the music of a mainline Final Fantasy title.

Are you really questioning that this was "inspired" by this?

lol

Sagely

It's nice to hear your thoughts, OP! This was my first Final Fantasy game and as such it will always be special to me (in fact it's my second favourite in the series). I really loved the world and art style, and Squall resonated with me strongly as a teenager.

Absolutely agreed about the romance: to me it felt forced and accelerated Squall's character growth in an unnatural way; not to mention Rinoa felt very incompatible with him. I will never really accept those two as a romantic pairing, despite liking both characters separately.

I also agree that things take a turn for the worse in disc 3, and if I recall they just descend into madness soon after (although I liked some aspects, it seemed a lot less grounded than the events of disc 1 and 2). Overall my feelings towards this game are a bit incoherent and jumbled, much like the game itself seemed. The characters, combat system, locations, plot and even soundtrack have moments of brilliance but don't hold a steady high quality or form a cohesive whole, in my opinion.

As such, I can pick out specific moments and tracks to be my all-time favourites in the series but cannot extend that level of appreciation towards the game as a whole. It is truly a mixed bag to me.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I can't be the only one that would prefer a remake or remaster of FF8 over FF7?

I love FF8, it just might be my favorite game in the series and one of my faves of all time. It's part of the trinity of best PS1 games imo (the other two being Xenogears and Chrono Cross).

I actually think the love story between Squall and Rinoa was well done, and I remember reading interviews before the game came out with the creators saying that was a big focus in the game. FF8 also has the best ending in the series, one of the best casts, my favorite villains (Ultimecia & Edea <3), one of the best soundtracks.

I don't even have an issue with the GF plot twist regarding
their forgotten memories of growing up together at the Orphanage with Edea as their mother figure.
Fits in really well with the love & family theme the game has going.

I was so excited for FF13 before it came out as the art style made it look like FF8's amazing sleek futuristic locations but..... we all know how that turned out :/

This game also brought up some cool fan theories. In particular, the
Rinoa = Ultimecia
and the
Squall is dead in the ending
theories. I disagree with both but they were fun to speculate on.

Falk

that puzzling face

You know, while an FF7 remake using higher quality assets losing its overall charm is a real point of discussion, I could really see an FF8 remake going the route of Resident Evil.

The characters are already proportional, etc.

Rezae

The second most forgettable FF, behind FFXII (yeah I said it). It just seemed to fall apart more and more the further into it I got. Not a fan of the battle and experience system. Lot of broken or not well thought out designs. Good art direction and music though (other than the overworld theme).

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Still the best Final Fantasy.

Darksol

I think it gets pretty much ignored being sandwiched between 7 and 9, but I loved the story, the music, the card game, the characters, the GFs, the junction system, the airship -- pretty much everything. I wasn't huge on the draw system, but with a little patience you could really use that to your advantage.

Kirie

I love FF8, it just might be my favorite game in the series and one of my faves of all time. It's part of the trinity of best PS1 games imo (the other two being Xenogears and Chrono Cross).

I actually think the love story between Squall and Rinoa was well done, and I remember reading interviews before the game came out with the creators saying that was a big focus in the game. FF8 also has the best ending in the series, one of the best casts, my favorite villains (Ultimecia & Edea <3), one of the best soundtracks.

I don't even have an issue with the GF plot twist regarding
their forgotten memories of growing up together at the Orphanage with Edea as their mother figure.
Fits in really well with the love & family theme the game has going.

I was so excited for FF13 before it came out as the art style made it look like FF8's amazing sleek futuristic locations but..... we all know how that turned out :/

This game also brought up some cool fan theories. In particular, the
Rinoa = Ultimecia
and the
Squall is dead in the ending
theories. I disagree with both but they were fun to speculate on.
I'm right there with you on all of this. Great post! I don't think I've played a game that's had a world that I've loved as much as I do FF8's world.

pbayne

Probably one of the weaker FF's for me but still a fun ride.

I remember shaking my head in disbelief when I discovered the Holy War items which made you invincible and were super easy to get, The gunblade is also one the stupidest yet awesome weapons ever.

Muffdraul

FFVIII is probably still the weirdest game in the main FF series. That's why I love it so much. Weird as shit, and the one FF world I would most like to actually live in. The plot and characters weren't the best in the franchise history, but I rate them much higher than a lot of people do.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

No. I'd rather see them put work into redoing Estar's reveal CGI and the world with maybe a bit more populated areas instead of expansive wastelands, than anything in FF7.

I totally agree on the romance. I didn't really have any problem if Squall/Rinoa happened more organically and with more subtety, but the way it basically eclipsed everything else, including the supporting characters' stories was disappointing.

I also hated how it was just Rinoa needing rescuing a dozen times and Squall just loves her. Instead of building it through more scenes of them growing closer, Squall just does a 180 after she is unconscious for the fifth time or whatever. It felt forced and Rinoa was just Princess Peach for most of the game.

Too corny for me, but overall I liked the game. The world, and aspects of the story. It was quite fun, but it highlights why I dislike love stories in games. I wanted to learn more about Zell, Quistis, Irvine, and Selphie, but they didn't have enough of a chance.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I really want an FFVIII remake too.

I wonder whose voice would make a good Selphie.

Jintor

my first and favourite final fantasy.

most of the music from the first disc and half of the second is permanently stuck in my head.

Top Bottom