• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-RTTP- - Hot Shots Golf Series - Relax...and don't mess up that Nice Shot!

Seik

Banned
I always was playing the first two HSG on PSX with my father back then, he never was a gamer but the moment he tried HSG he loved it and we played the hell out of both copies to unlock all the characters for future vs. action. I wasn't a fan of golf games at first, but the more I played the more I used to love those.

5pRqUbe.jpg
SdBrzSp.jpg

I pretty much skipped the PS2 version though, I actually never even tried one, are those good/worth check out even today?

When the Vita came out I bought this one.

wnwz2lO.jpg

It felt quite good, since the last time I played a golf game since then was Mario Golf on GC.

Last week I heard my father which I didn't see since 2 years was coming in my city so I bought HSG: Out of Bounds for PS3, which is out since quite a while but I never took some time to check it out.

z71FXzt.jpg

I think it's...amazing, we had a blast. The HSG feeling is there, it looks beautiful. I love that the cute and light-hearted artistic essence of the game stayed the same after all these years. The challenges can be done quickly and the rewards are distributed in a way you want to keep playing on and on. I'm addicted.

uJtlt5p.jpg

Share your love for the series, GAF! :)

JordanN

Banned
Played alot of Hot Shots Golf 2 growing up and even still have the disc. 2 player was alot of fun because you could play taunting noises and hope it messes up the person's shot. The characters themselves were also very memorable.

I also want to try World Invitational. Originally, my plan was to get it on Vita but the PS3 port features more content (native 1080p and 2 more characters).

Mario golf GameCube was the best this kind of game gets.

I love hot shots but the putting in the vita was unnerving. Really sucked the enjoyment out of the game for me. I loved the others though.

jgmo870

Banned
The first game in the series I tried was World Invitational and it's nice, arcadey fun but I'm not that good at it. I think I'm going to buy the PSP dual pack to try out Hot Shots Tennis and maybe get Out of Bounds too.

RoadDogg

HSG3 was pretty much the reason I bought a PS2 and I never played the PS1 games, just Mario Golf 64. HSG4 was still a good game, but I didn't like that you had to level up each character separately. The first PSP game was probably the best in the series though. The 2nd might be better but I never tried it. The PS3 one just seemed like a large step back in content that it failed to scratch my itch. The Vita one almost sold me on the Vita too, but I managed to hold tight and will get Mario Golf 3DS instead.

sn00zer

really dissapointed the latest hot shots are straight ports of everybodys golf instead of getting he american makeover of hs2 and 3 wbich changed the animey adtstyle

Love, love, love the series and style. Played the hell out of the original Hot Shots on PS1. Played a little bit of 2, but wanted to complete 1 first. Played maybe one round of Fore and I've got the PSP version. Played a ton of Mario Golf. This series and Katamari might be the games that finally get me to pick up a PS3 and Vita.

When I finally build my own personal golf course, I'm going through these games and model the holes on my favorites. Don't worry, I'll invite all you guys! ;)

EDIT: So what's the verdict on 3? Worth picking up?

krpiper

The Vita game is great, in fact I think I will go redownload it.

Is Out of bounds any good? How does it stack up to the vita one?

Thanks OP for bringing it to my mind.

krae_man

I love the series. I've played every one since two. It's just the perfect mix of arcade and sim.

The Vita one is my favorite so far. Those daily asynchronous tournaments were a blast. It's a shame nobody played it since nobody owns a Vita.

My favorite Hot Shots moment was in the second PSP Game. I was in a match play game against a mid tier cpu character and it decided to hit a 130 yard chip in eagle on one hole. I almost rage quit immediately but decided to keep playing and I managed to eagle my approach shot too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQFwqbWXvs

Oh man I was so happy FUCK YOU CHEATING AI :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I miss having the cast of 5 and Toro and Sackboy. :(

I still need to finish grinding out points to get the last few of the cast in 6/World Inventational but it's so hard going through the later courses with some of the balls and equipment I have available to me. :(

edotlee

Love the series. Love the new swing mechanic they introduced in Out of Bounds. Love that they're porting the Vita game to PS3. Can't wait.

I have great memories of this series. A close friend and I played this series endlessly. We were drunk (of couse) but that only managed to enhance the experience. Think I'll get back into the PSV version, thanks Seik!

TheSeks

The PS3 version of the Vita version is coming tomorrow. Would definitely buy if it's $20 or less.

Holy shit, seriously? Europe's had it for months and Japan's had it for a year. I never thought America was getting it.

Too bad they can't cross-play, because the portable version US servers are mostly dead. Sure, there's players still but it's like 20-50 at a peak. Average of 30.

I'm sure it will exist eventually.

HSG is successful...

...right? Because I don't know at all. D:

It must be, if they keep making them, right? :p

I own the Vita one, it's quite good fun, easy to play, difficult to master.

Haven't played that much of it because other shit I'm into more keep coming out (yeah, on the Vita!!!) but it's always there and easy to get back into and offers quick fun on the go.

bender

What time is it?
Holy shit, seriously? Europe's had it for months and Japan's had it for a year. I never thought America was getting it.

Too bad they can't cross-play, because the portable version US servers are mostly dead. Sure, there's players still but it's like 20-50 at a peak. Average of 30.

That's why I imported the Japanese version. It still has 8-10K doing the daily tournaments. At least the DLC is cross-compatible. I'm really curious how they will handle the level 4 balls/level 5 clubs. I'm guessing additional DLC but at least the PSN blog referenced them. Hopefully we get Kiryu as well.

I'm at 1500+ rounds of World Invitational between the Vita/PS3 versions. It's a great game to play for ~30 minutes a day or to listen to podcasts alongside. PS3 version has some framerate issues but thankfully, it never effects the swing meter.

It must be, if they keep making them, right? :p

In Japan, sure. I'm sure it makes it stateside because it's an easy localization. I can't wait to see the next Hot Shots on PS4.

p.s. Stay away from HSG2 on PSN. The input lag makes the game unplayable.

Played the snot out of Out of Bounds, pretty much daily for 3 months, then again a year later when DLC came out. The online community was tight, and very fun to play with.

World Invitational was really great as well. It was a 4 month platinum for me; great challenges and the daily tournaments were a lunchtime ritual. Unfortunately the convenience of the daily tournaments seemed to hurt the live online play, but either way it was a lot of fun.

Would love to get some community going on the Gaf now that it's hitting PS3 and is cross-play.

TheSeks

Would love to get some community going on the Gaf now that it's hitting PS3 and is cross-play.

What’s more, for those of you that own the PS Vita version, all of your downloadable content is cross-buy and will be unlocked in the PS3 version! The Vita patch version 1.06 will bring you up to speed with the PS3, enabling you to play with those on the PS3 version in the online tournaments.

Huh. Didn't know it was cross-buy/play. Too bad having a digital copy of the game probably isn't in the cards. :( I dunno if I want to rebuy a game I bought on sale for like $7 for $10-12 more.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Played a ps2 one and fell in love - though sadly it fell into backlog obscurity before i could finish much of it.... Fast forward to today as i grew tired of waiting for world invitational to get ported to ps3 - i get a vita and pick up hsg:wi for about 8$.... And its been my most played game on vita and possibly ps3. Thank god for easy mode though , it really eases thr stress and allows you to focus.... Doubt ill ever hit that double eagle or hio. :( great game. Need more dlc, not just courses but challeneges etc.

winjet81

Pretty sure with version 1.06 on Vita, cross-play is enabled.

I maintain that Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 (PSP) is the best in the series. They're all fairly similar, though.

I was disappointed in the Vita game.

krae_man

Give me some putting tips because in terrible.

Every 0.1 feet of slope translates to 1 foot of distance. For example a 26 foot putt that is 0.8 ft up hill: do 34 feet of putt strength.

Left to right slope, you just have to get a feel for it.

Also it has helps it you have a character with good control so your approach shots land close to the flag so you are not stuck with 40 foot putts all the time.

bumpkin

HSG World Invitational is easily the Vita game I've spent the most time playing, hence me being bummed out that it's gotten so little DLC support. I was all over the new characters and courses they put out a few months back. I want more!

Jimrpg

I have the two PSP games and the PS3 version. I considered getting the Vita version but ultimately decided that I had plenty of hot shots that I hadn't finished up yet anyway.

the games are generally great, but the advanced courses get quite difficult and frustrating. the world tours are generally too long as well, where I am repeating the same courses over and over.

overall - more courses like 10-12 on the game disc would be appreciated instead of the 6 they normally have.

I found myself kicking back and playing a little bit of world tour (aka out of bounds) last night. A great chill-out / hangover game. Looking forward to hitting the links with some gaffers when world invitational reaches ps3 tomorrow!

Seik

Banned
I'll check out the PSP titles...

I mean damn this thread is just 1 page so far and it got mentioned so many times!

I loved World Invitational, but good lord does the difficulty ramp up. Cast a cloud over the fun I was having with the game.

Too true. I get that some of the courses are deliberately designed to be malicious but that, in tandem with the AI, relegated me to only playing the earlier stages as soon as I was done with the campaign.

Top Bottom