• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Metro RTXodus. Can You please stop talking and teaching me how to be a good killer?

rofif

Banned
Hey everyone!
So I've finished this on release day year ago. I had it preordered on steam before they took it down.
I like the metro games for the atmosphere and usually graphics. My feelings on Exodus were mixed but generally positive.
I've finished it on gtx 1060 and bought rtx 2070 like a week later... but only replaying the game now. So, what do I think about it? .... oh well...
I am bad at these opinions topics but I will just throw some random thoughts below. Just finished Volga chapter.

First Technically:
+The graphics look generally good
+The tesselation, texture quality and models quality are all excellent
+View distance and LOD are fantastic with right resolution
-+The Ray tracing is a hit or miss. It's a very big performance hit and when it looks good, it changes the scene.
-But when RT looks bad, it's WAY too dark. There are many scenes where RT makes it unreasonably dark. There would need to be some sort of fake eye adaptation HDR like in may games but it's missing here. So the cabin of the train ends up way too dark.
-RT makes eyes of some characters darker/almost black with light source behind them and can make hair appear grey under certain angle.
-=Hairworks makes some animals look excellent like rabbits but others just have these few hair strands... and that's supposed to be fur?!
-Graphical settings are a joke. There is absolutely no visual difference with RT high vs Ultra and with Quality High/ultra/Extreme. Just keep both on high.
-Performance with RT high/quality high is not great. Around 40-50fps at 1440p without DLSS. I am playing on a 4k monitor so it's not optimal but F me if I am disabling that RT. I've bought rtx 2070 at least for something RIGHT ?!
-Some animations are bad and/or do not line up with audio correctly.
-I've had 4 crashes so far

Story/Atmosphere:
+The setting is fantastic
+The world is amazing
+The 1 year train journey is a bonkers idea. I love it
+The train looks great and environments are interesting
-The fish villagers are not believable at all
-Everyone keeps talking. ALL THE TIME. This is my 2nd biggest problem. You barely look at someone and they start talking about nothing. For like straight 7 minutes. Everyone. Sometimes at once. And they deliver the lines so slowly and talk about NOTHING... omg it is so terrible. How could I play it a years ago. I just cannot suffer through this anymore.
-Anna is just as terrible. She never shuts up but her delivery is even worse
-You are not voiced and it's a terrible idea. Everyone is asking questions. Calling you out on the radio but Nope. You don't say anything.
+Sam is the best character. Great backstory, great voice acting, only talks when he has something good or fun to say. And he looks like my father so that's cool.

Gameplay:
+Shooting/weapons handling feels good
+Upgrades system is very good and engaging
+Level design is creative
-Why do I have to fucking hold up E/R all the time to do anything? Looting a corpse is ok but in the end, I have to walk around and hold R on every weapon to strip it for parts. Same with opening boxes and crates. why. It's so annoying
-bad first person animations everywhere. Crawl under this, get through there. You have to hold E to enter those animations and there is a lot of them. They take control away from You constantly and ... why
-And now. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THE GAME. They constantly kindergarten you how to play the game. Last year I've got the "bad" ending despite going stealth and trying very hard not to kill anyone.
This year, I am going all out full rambo and it's terrible. I mean it's way more fun to play but I am constantly being harassed about killing "innocent" people. They shoot at me on sight and I cannot even shoot back because Anna will be disappointed.
The "choice" and open world are so fake, it's ruining the experience. What's the point of having multiple endings if in the end, all that happens is arbitrary and not connected to some random npc you killed in the fish village. This is arbitrary way to affect the ending.
It is so bad, that not only do NPC's constantly annoy me about killing anyone but also the screen goes "yellow color and bad deed sound" every time I defend/murder bandits. So the game gives You a choice but not really. You are punished for playing how You want. For shooting in a shooter....
And Duke dies because I've killed those idiots? There was not even anyone of them alive to shoot him. Like what does that have to do with anything. I mean... he was so annoying I would've killed him myself but still. If You see "he lives" cutscene, it's exactly the same. he just does not get shot.
Why give me any choice if I am punished for choosing?!

tl;dr Technically mixed game with extremely bullshit and fake open world that punishes you for shooting in a shooter. That and everyone constantly talking all the time and game taking camera away from You... And some of the best atmosphere and setting ever.

MetalRain

I stopped playing quite early, but I agree most your points. I think it's better than previous metro games, but not masterpiece.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Game has a specific audience does it need a multiplayer? No, it's a favorite of mine from this generation.

rofif

Banned
Game has a specific audience does it need a multiplayer? No, it's a favorite of mine from this generation.
I don't care for mp. I love sp games. But it's getting me very annoyed right now. Even opening any door requires holding E and the game takes camera control from You to walk You through the door. Many examples of that... And constant talking and beating me over the head that killing is bad in a game which gives You choice but don't respect it.

I do agree that it's generally a good game with great atmosphere

Last edited:
I generally loved it but on a replay I'm having a hard time getting through Caspian without getting a little tired. The level at Yamantau and the dead city near the end were the highlights for me, and ironically both were more linear sections of the game.

rofif

Banned
Am am also not sure about rtx. It makes hair look grey and some scenes way too dark. And without it I could do 4k no problem... Hmmm.

Starting desert chapter. Yes, it's better as I remember

Last edited:
It's an odd releases for me. Loved the first two games, but Exodus has been a struggle to play. Thought I'd give a try seen as it's on PSNow & it looks surprisingly good on the Ps4 Pro. Oddly enough I enjoy it when in the mood, but other times it's just a bore to play. Maybe my mind rejects the lack of a metro :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I bought this the day it came out, I only just got stuck back in and finished it on Monday. Loved it, the change to open world levels was well appreciated and the talking never bothered me, it added character.

I'm about an hour into the first DLC and starting on the second book.

Love me a bit of Metro. Cant wait for Stalker 2, more russian hijinks and radiation.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I enjoyed Sam's Story more than base game. Previous Metro games were better. Fuck the draggy open-world gameplay.

rofif

Banned
I enjoyed Sam's Story more than base game. Previous Metro games were better. Fuck the draggy open-world gameplay.
Sam is the best. Thanks for reminding me about his dlc. I need to try it.

BTW do people play with ray tracing?

GHG

Gold Member
Sam is the best. Thanks for reminding me about his dlc. I need to try it.

BTW do people play with ray tracing?

I would but I feel it tanks my performance too much on a 2070 super at 1440p.

I wish this game has DLSS 2.0 implemented, the 1.0 version just doesn't cut it.

Dialog is the worst part for sure. You hit the nail on the head. Too much yapping. And for being a badass person that everyone looks up to, your wife tells you what to do all the time. I know it’s a built in tutorial but it’s irritating.

and I have voiceless protags. It’s unbelievably annoying have to play as.

rofif

Banned
Made some Ray tracing on/off screenshots. I still cannot decide which one I prefer. Some scenes look flat without it but others get way too dark with RT on. It messes with hair color and eyes darkness sometimes too... and that performance

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Hey everyone!
So I've finished this on release day year ago. I had it preordered on steam before they took it down.
I like the metro games for the atmosphere and usually graphics. My feelings on Exodus were mixed but generally positive.
I've finished it on gtx 1060 and bought rtx 2070 like a week later... but only replaying the game now. So, what do I think about it? .... oh well...
I am bad at these opinions topics but I will just throw some random thoughts below. Just finished Volga chapter.

First Technically:
+The graphics look generally good
+The tesselation, texture quality and models quality are all excellent
+View distance and LOD are fantastic with right resolution
-+The Ray tracing is a hit or miss. It's a very big performance hit and when it looks good, it changes the scene.
-But when RT looks bad, it's WAY too dark. There are many scenes where RT makes it unreasonably dark. There would need to be some sort of fake eye adaptation HDR like in may games but it's missing here. So the cabin of the train ends up way too dark.
-RT makes eyes of some characters darker/almost black with light source behind them and can make hair appear grey under certain angle.
-=Hairworks makes some animals look excellent like rabbits but others just have these few hair strands... and that's supposed to be fur?!
-Graphical settings are a joke. There is absolutely no visual difference with RT high vs Ultra and with Quality High/ultra/Extreme. Just keep both on high.
-Performance with RT high/quality high is not great. Around 40-50fps at 1440p without DLSS. I am playing on a 4k monitor so it's not optimal but F me if I am disabling that RT. I've bought rtx 2070 at least for something RIGHT ?!
-Some animations are bad and/or do not line up with audio correctly.
-I've had 4 crashes so far

Story/Atmosphere:
+The setting is fantastic
+The world is amazing
+The 1 year train journey is a bonkers idea. I love it
+The train looks great and environments are interesting
-The fish villagers are not believable at all
-Everyone keeps talking. ALL THE TIME. This is my 2nd biggest problem. You barely look at someone and they start talking about nothing. For like straight 7 minutes. Everyone. Sometimes at once. And they deliver the lines so slowly and talk about NOTHING... omg it is so terrible. How could I play it a years ago. I just cannot suffer through this anymore.
-Anna is just as terrible. She never shuts up but her delivery is even worse
-You are not voiced and it's a terrible idea. Everyone is asking questions. Calling you out on the radio but Nope. You don't say anything.
+Sam is the best character. Great backstory, great voice acting, only talks when he has something good or fun to say. And he looks like my father so that's cool.

Gameplay:
+Shooting/weapons handling feels good
+Upgrades system is very good and engaging
+Level design is creative
-Why do I have to fucking hold up E/R all the time to do anything? Looting a corpse is ok but in the end, I have to walk around and hold R on every weapon to strip it for parts. Same with opening boxes and crates. why. It's so annoying
-bad first person animations everywhere. Crawl under this, get through there. You have to hold E to enter those animations and there is a lot of them. They take control away from You constantly and ... why
-And now. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THE GAME. They constantly kindergarten you how to play the game. Last year I've got the "bad" ending despite going stealth and trying very hard not to kill anyone.
This year, I am going all out full rambo and it's terrible. I mean it's way more fun to play but I am constantly being harassed about killing "innocent" people. They shoot at me on sight and I cannot even shoot back because Anna will be disappointed.
The "choice" and open world are so fake, it's ruining the experience. What's the point of having multiple endings if in the end, all that happens is arbitrary and not connected to some random npc you killed in the fish village. This is arbitrary way to affect the ending.
It is so bad, that not only do NPC's constantly annoy me about killing anyone but also the screen goes "yellow color and bad deed sound" every time I defend/murder bandits. So the game gives You a choice but not really. You are punished for playing how You want. For shooting in a shooter....
And Duke dies because I've killed those idiots? There was not even anyone of them alive to shoot him. Like what does that have to do with anything. I mean... he was so annoying I would've killed him myself but still. If You see "he lives" cutscene, it's exactly the same. he just does not get shot.
Why give me any choice if I am punished for choosing?!

tl;dr Technically mixed game with extremely bullshit and fake open world that punishes you for shooting in a shooter. That and everyone constantly talking all the time and game taking camera away from You... And some of the best atmosphere and setting ever.
I just got the Metro Redux duology in the mail today. It will be the first time I've ever played the games.

Top Bottom